Author Topic: Best Death Metal Band of all-time  (Read 6713 times)

viking1

• Getbig V
Re: Best Death Metal Band of all-time
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2013, 07:44:34 AM »
Schuldiner (RIP) got me into Death and then Death Metal and I still love every album so I'd have to go with Death.

Pull the Plow?! Hahaha....wtf?

I know these guys are technically Black Metal, but they still rule.

There's something about the chorus on Pull The Plug that does it for me....  it has to be played very loud!!! That's my all time favorite song from Death

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2013, 07:53:51 AM »
everyone always mentions the tampa bands like morbid angel and deicide, but it's like incantation and immolation get forgotten constantly. WTF dudes.

the names that really battle for GOAT in death metal are suffocation, incantation, and morbid angel. cannibal corpse probably wins for pure consistency, but CC doesn't have any albums like effigy of the forgotten, onward to golgotha, or blessed are the sick.

if you wanna talk some heavyweights of the modern era, there's always portal, ulcerate, antediluvian, disma, behemoth, a bunch of others.

also don't forget some older forgotten gems like demilich or disembowelment.

Awesome post!!! I have seen live Immolation, Incantation and Demilich (not many can say they saw Demilich, it was at Maryland Deathfest, amazing set).

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2013, 08:02:53 AM »
Awesome post!!! I have seen live Immolation, Incantation and Demilich (not many can say they saw Demilich, it was at Maryland Deathfest, amazing set). 

Cannibal Corpse has two classics IMO, "Tomb of the Mutilated" and "The Bleeding" both essential releases. CC without Barnes is a waste of time.

Deicide killed everyone back in the day with their debut and then what may be death metals defining release "Legion"   ;D

Death peaked with first album, "Scream Bloody Gore" and just got too technical and added too many solos at expense of brutality :-(  Chuck should have kept that shit in his side band, kids at shows only went to hear "Zombie Ritual" and "Mutilation," 2 of the most brutal songs ever recorded.

2 other bands with AMAZING debuts that went on to become a mess of prog/tech nu-metal were Cryptopsy, and Aborted. Find their early stuff, it is crazy how they became kind of bands featured at Hot Topic and emo kids shows :-(

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2013, 08:28:28 AM »
Behemoth by far

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2013, 08:43:27 AM »
Nice music for 14 year old rebels.
If I had to pick one - Death by a land slide.
Morbid Angel had great arrangements was precise and edgy.
Deicide for the nutters - put out some great songs and looked mega impressive in person.
Too many to mention that were more than ok... Suffocation and a few names I've forgotten.

Wolfsanglerune

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »
Dying fetus..
after 20 years there still one of the secret bands people borrow from imo

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2013, 09:16:55 AM »
T

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2013, 10:11:13 AM »
\m/ \m/

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2013, 10:48:26 AM »
My choice:

- Black Sabbath
- Motorhead
- Metallica
- Lamb of God
- Machine Head
- Opeth
- Disturb
- Hell Yeah
- Pantera
- Dio

Where's the death metal??? And if you are listing an assortment of metals where is Ministry? >:(

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2013, 10:49:18 AM »
I don't know a lot of death metal even though I do like a lot of metal.

I do like Cannibal Corpse though.

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2013, 10:55:32 AM »
Where's the death metal??? And if you are listing an assortment of metals where is Ministry? >:(

Ministry is the dogs bollocks.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2013, 02:13:17 PM »
Those are not vocals just gutoral sounds! I can listen to the music and respect the musicianship, as soon as the so called vocals start i'm out!

x2

I'm a fan of metal and hard rock, that's all I listen to in the gym, but once it gets to this stage it isn't music anymore as far as I'm concerned. All the vocals sound exactly the fucking same no matter what band you listen to.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2013, 03:12:02 PM »
Best or most influential?

And if it's best, well, that's subjective, and everyone will have a different answer.

Most influential? I'd suggest Morbid Angel, Death (in a few sub-style ways), Suffocation, and perhaps Entombed's debut.

As far as my favourites, I'd list all the classic names, and then include Decapitated, Broken Hope, Corpus Mortale (the newest effort is unreal), At the Gates, Vader ... and on and on and on ...

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2013, 05:10:14 PM »

i'm hittin up MDF this year. SO fucking stoked for it.

also, give cryptopsy's latest a shot. honestly aside from the clean production it could sit right in between none so vile and whisper supremacy.

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2013, 05:31:04 AM »
anybody remember this band?

Yep, I own that CD.

MP

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2013, 05:37:20 AM »
I've really tried to get into Morbid Angel and Nile, but they do nothing for me.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2013, 06:41:35 AM »
x2

I'm a fan of metal and hard rock, that's all I listen to in the gym, but once it gets to this stage it isn't music anymore as far as I'm concerned. All the vocals sound exactly the fucking same no matter what band you listen to.

I can respect the musicianship, some of these dudes can play their asses off...but even that gets monotonous and boring.

The vocals .....I can't see how anyone can say they are "good" in any context.. And the subject matter is comical

And like you, I can listen to Sabbath, Deftones, Tool, Soundgarden all day long.

Just look at the names of the bands...."dying fetus"..hahahaaa...give me a fucking break.

MP

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2013, 06:45:31 AM »
I can respect the musicianship, some of these dudes can play their asses off...but even that gets monotonous and boring.

The vocals .....I can't see how anyone can say they are "good" in any context.. And the subject matter is comical

And like you, I can listen to Sabbath, Deftones, Tool, Soundgarden all day long.

Just look at the names of the bands...."dying fetus"..hahahaaa...give me a fucking break.

Talk about monotonous and boring. Deftones. Ugh.

It's like this. I won't buy a rap album, but there are certainly "good" and "bad" rappers for people who enjoy rap.

Just as there are good and bad death metal bands for people who like that kind of music. Pretty simple.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2013, 06:52:47 AM »
Talk about monotonous and boring. Deftones. Ugh.

It's like this. I won't buy a rap album, but there are certainly "good" and "bad" rappers for people who enjoy rap.

Just as there are good and bad death metal bands for people who like that kind of music. Pretty simple.

To each their own, i get it dude.  It's just that i consider myself a pretty diverse guy musically, and give things a chance.....this stuff......i just don't see it at all. Maybe if I was a pissed off 15 year old struggling with puberty, but as an adult...it's just funny to me.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2013, 07:12:44 AM »
on the flip side, i listen to "hard rock" and laugh my ass off that anyone could consider that "heavy" or "aggressive". after you've been listening to enough from the extreme side of things, people saying how badass killswitch engage or 5 finger death punch is just turns hilarious.

death metal is just aural equivalent of a horror movie. if you like watching Evil Dead i can't see why you don't get the appeal of cattle decapitation or murder construct. i'm not saying you gotta like it, but assuming it's all for pre-pubescent teenagers is like me hearing you listen to deftones and tool and assuming you're a 13 year old who cries about losing a girlfriend while writing on his blog.

signed, a 28 year old guy with a white collar job.

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2013, 02:30:42 PM »
on the flip side, i listen to "hard rock" and laugh my ass off that anyone could consider that "heavy" or "aggressive". after you've been listening to enough from the extreme side of things, people saying how badass killswitch engage or 5 finger death punch is just turns hilarious.

death metal is just aural equivalent of a horror movie. if you like watching Evil Dead i can't see why you don't get the appeal of cattle decapitation or murder construct. i'm not saying you gotta like it, but assuming it's all for pre-pubescent teenagers is like me hearing you listen to deftones and tool and assuming you're a 13 year old who cries about losing a girlfriend while writing on his blog.

signed, a 28 year old guy with a white collar job.

I don't judge music by how aggressive it is. I judge it by quality, and if i like it more than anything. There are country music songs i will listen to. I have no single barometer.

A more apt analogy would be comparing death metal to some straight to video D horror movie that is unintentionally funny.

and LOL @ the tool remark. Maynard puts  more creativity, insight and irony into one song than every death metal song ever recorded. they sell millions of records across a more diverse demographic, and they aren't a pop band where it's all about moving product.

Be honest, the first few listens of a new release, you have to read the lyrics because you can't understand a word the dude is
farting into the microphone singing

Point is it's an extreme niche genre, I bet if I went to a death metal festival, it would be a bunch of angry young white males...and fortress...ha ha. Most people, even rock dudes...think it's noise. and as usual, I wouldn't be surprised if some of he members of "dying fetus" were married, had kids of their own, mortgages, car payments....and are laughing all the way to the bank. As they rail about Satan and Armageddon.

This is all just my opnion, whatever floats your boat....i just have to comment because of every genre of music, I find it the corniest. I feel the same way about hardcore gangsta rap.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2013, 02:47:58 PM »
see you're making ignorant assumptions about creativity and songwriting craft. death metal's dense and difficult to get into, but don't take that to mean it doesn't take a shitload of skill and musicianship. maynard and the boys would get buried trying to keep up with a nile or morbid angel song.

here's the funny part. i know music. i've studied it, play several instruments, took courses on theory and whatnot. so to sit there and go "well this takes no talent" cracks me up because of how hilariously incorrect that is. you don't have to like it, i'm not trying to make you like it, but i have to pop in and point out that you are 100% incorrect in terms of skill and talent necessary.

also as for your dumbass point about the guys from dying fetus having kids... uh... no fucking shit. it's a music act. corpsegrinder is a World of Warcraft nerd and loves fishing for shit's sake. i listen to putridity and murder construct on my way to work or while i'm at the gym. it's ENTERTAINMENT, numbnuts.

sure, there ARE dudes who are for real (mostly in the norwegian black metal scene or guys like glen benton), but we're fans of music. i'm hitting up a death metal festival in two weeks and guess what? we're all trying to get time off work and make arrangements for kids or pets. it's entertainment. i don't know WHY you seem to think everyone takes it like life lessons or autobiographies.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2013, 02:49:43 PM »

They a good, if U can attend Soundwave 2014 (probably +100 bands).

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2013, 03:34:32 PM »
see you're making ignorant assumptions about creativity and songwriting craft. death metal's dense and difficult to get into, but don't take that to mean it doesn't take a shitload of skill and musicianship. maynard and the boys would get buried trying to keep up with a nile or morbid angel song.

here's the funny part. i know music. i've studied it, play several instruments, took courses on theory and whatnot. so to sit there and go "well this takes no talent" cracks me up because of how hilariously incorrect that is. you don't have to like it, i'm not trying to make you like it, but i have to pop in and point out that you are 100% incorrect in terms of skill and talent necessary.

also as for your dumbass point about the guys from dying fetus having kids... uh... no fucking shit. it's a music act. corpsegrinder is a World of Warcraft nerd and loves fishing for shit's sake. i listen to putridity and murder construct on my way to work or while i'm at the gym. it's ENTERTAINMENT, numbnuts.

sure, there ARE dudes who are for real (mostly in the norwegian black metal scene or guys like glen benton), but we're fans of music. i'm hitting up a death metal festival in two weeks and guess what? we're all trying to get time off work and make arrangements for kids or pets. it's entertainment. i don't know WHY you seem to think everyone takes it like life lessons or autobiographies.

I never said it takes no talent, not a single time. I said the lyrics are fucking comical, and they are.  As far as the members of tool not being able to play death metal.....HAHAHAHAHAAAAA AA. You know this how, exactly ?  Was there a contest?  

They are all professinal usicians and I'm sure each could play the others with very little difficulty. Just because they dont do it..doesnt mean they can't do it.

I'm reminded of a quote by Chris Cornell...he said "when I was 17,18...it was all about jimi hendrix, van halen and playing really complex music and guitar solos....then when I got older, I started becoming interested in what The Edge was doing"..I'm paraphrasing.

And no, i don't expect people to live their music, but Demons, suicide, dead roaming the earth....sorry, can't relate, don't want to.

Thom Yorke writes a song about the temptarion of adultery, and unrequites desire...I can relate. Its normal human stuff, not made-up morbid nonsense that no one had ever experienced. I think LOTR is silly shit too.

You said it all when you said that dude is a WOW nerd. Now i get it. Nerd on Garth.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2013, 03:40:26 PM »
Death