Author Topic: Running on country road for cardio  (Read 2329 times)

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
Running on country road for cardio
« on: May 24, 2013, 02:46:01 AM »
Does anybody do their cardio by running down a country road or forest service/logging road for cardio?  Seems like it would be fun because of the nice scenery.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Running on country road for cardio
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 04:36:04 AM »
I run in a lot of different places for a change in scenery. We have a long abandoned railroad path by my house that has been turned into path through the woods. I can run 5 miles and see maybe one  person. Perfect for solitude. When I want to see a lot of girls wearing bikinis I run the various boardwalks by the ocean by me. It never gets old.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 07:16:45 AM »
winter i run on the streets and summer in the Woods..

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 07:57:34 AM »
Have done quite a bit of off road running, started with football training years ago. Great way to train, getting that fresh and clean air into the lungs and being out in open. Great sense of freedom. Sometimes it's good to be alone and just run.

Done all of these: Miles of fire trails (fire breaks) in SoCal which make excellent running paths. Can be steep to very , very steep on the same trail. These fire trails are on just about every hill to mountain top, so anyone doesn't have to travel far to use one. Excellent for stamina (endurance plus strength).

There are higher (one mile plus) elevation mountain paths/trails for loggers, forest rangers and old mining roads. The benefit of running in the mountains is that cardo is worked extra hard, until you get use to the thinner air. Lot of boxers train in the higher mountains lately. This is good for VO2 training, which tends to burn body fat at a more rapid rate. Notices, also, that athletes have better calves from hill/mountain running. Do what you think is best, but don't really need a backpack, with extra plates in it, if into serious higher elevation running.

For my friends in SoCal: Though very rare, there may be an occasion mountain lion or bear near some of these trails..so might pay attention to the surroundings. Coyote's are usually shy and stay away, if 3 or more, that's considered a pack...not a good sign. Some women runners will carry mace.

If lucky enough to live by a sandy area (ocean, river or sand dunes) take advantage of it. Super endurance builder and calf builder. And most all have hills to run up. Good Luck.
F

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 02:47:30 PM »
Does anybody do their cardio by running down a country road or forest service/logging road for cardio?  Seems like it would be fun because of the nice scenery.
too hard on the knees....imho

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 03:13:07 PM »
Yes I have but only once.  The spider webs pissed me off.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 05:19:13 PM »
There is actually evidence that long-term running in cities is bad for you, might even have higher mortality than not running at all, from the smog/air quality.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 03:59:08 AM »
There is actually evidence that long-term running in cities is bad for you, might even have higher mortality than not running at all, from the smog/air quality.
well could be true but if i lived in a big City i would spend Money on a good machine for home use...plus there are too many idiots on the streets too. where i live it aint big so itīs OK. I work today and so i will do a bit of cardio in the Gym...pissing down with rain outside...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 01:08:06 PM »
Tweaked my calf running. So I'm biking for awhile. It doesn't seem to bother my bad calf.  Today I started riding and a down pour of rain came. I didn't want to stop so I rode for nearly 2 hours in it. Came home soaked and filthy. These cars really make riding a bike dangerous. Going to test my calf on the treadmill tomorrow.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 06:51:12 PM »
too hard on the knees....imho

ditto.  any street worked when i was young.  today it's treadmill to stay safe with the occasional run 1-2 times a month

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 09:56:09 AM »
ditto.  any street worked when i was young.  today it's treadmill to stay safe with the occasional run 1-2 times a month
running in the Woods is great. soft ground and fresh air.. no car fumes. Of course not everyone can run in a wooded area and itīs a luxury for some of us that maybe we donīt see..

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »
x2 outside cardio is best.