Author Topic: Sets  (Read 2687 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Sets
« on: May 27, 2013, 02:37:27 PM »
How many work sets and exercises do you guys do for a body part? One work set per exercise like Yates and Jones recommended? Two work sets per exercise like early Yates and early Dugdale. Three work sets like Lee Labrada? 4 Sets like Kevin Levone and Shawn Ray? 5 Sets like Bill Pearl, Sergio and Arnold?

How many exercises per body part like say chest? One, two, three, four or even 5 exercises?

I know the this opens a hit vs volume argument. Truth be told the over whelming majority of guys trained with volume. I have always been a low set trainer. The amount of failures in both camps of volume and HIT doesn't validate a debate point.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Re: Sets
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 02:46:21 PM »
i do either 1 or 2 failure sets per exercise and i usually only do 1 exercise per bodypart, but sometimes 2 exercises

i get better results training a bodypart more frequently like twice a week, but there are times when i can train a bodypart 3 times per week and make gains

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »
I think the amount of reps really dictates the amount of sets and vice versa. I have 3 main rep ranges I work in: 8-12, 6-9, and 4-6.
3x8-12 (24-36) total reps
4x6-9 (24-36) total reps
6x4-6 (24-36) total reps

With big compound movements I will pyramid up in weight to one heavy set. With isolation movements I keep the weight the same for all sets.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 09:44:55 AM »
Yev33 is correct, it's never the sets but the amount of total reps for any given muscle area. Sets only divided up the reps into workable goals. That 24-36 total rep range seems to get the most bang for the buck..for general BB'ing purposes of gaining strength and muscle.

Can include successful square root programs like 5X5's (25 reps) and the much overlooked 6X6's (36 reps) into that mix.

The other main square root programs ,10X10's (GVT) and 8X8's  use a much higher rep scheme, but will use one  main compound exercise for any one muscle area. The same moderate weight is usually throughout all the total set, the weight is never adjusted for any set.  

Through experience, we all find that 20 reps may do for you what 5 reps can't and vice versa. Good Luck.
F

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 11:26:12 AM »
i usually perform 3 sets per exercise.......
i normally do 4 exercises......so about 12 sets total.

arms will be closer to 8 sets.

i no longer count reps.......rather i train for a certain feeling in the muscle. once i have that feeling......i know instinctively that the muscle has had enough.
just my 2 cents.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 01:00:07 PM »
Considering the amount of reps that are most used by champion bodybuilders is 8 to 12 reps the amount of sets is relevant.

If you are using 8 reps it could be one set to failure with 8 reps. Or 5 sets of 8 reps with the last set being failure doing 40 reps.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 01:35:37 PM »
i usually perform 3 sets per exercise.......
i normally do 4 exercises......so about 12 sets total.

arms will be closer to 8 sets.

i no longer count reps.......rather i train for a certain feeling in the muscle. once i have that feeling......i know instinctively that the muscle has had enough.
just my 2 cents.

Good post...yes i tend to use 12-15 for big muscle Groups and small ones much less. Working instinctively is the way to go...sometimes you just could tip a truck over and other times you can do less and you have to listen to your Body...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »
Considering the amount of reps that are most used by champion bodybuilders is 8 to 12 reps the amount of sets is relevant.

If you are using 8 reps it could be one set to failure with 8 reps. Or 5 sets of 8 reps with the last set being failure doing 40 reps.
yes i think i get you Rich....it really depends on what split i am using.. this really determines for me sets and reps...if i pair Back and Biceps then i do less for Biceps but if i Train arms alone well i use more volume....

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 05:04:50 AM »
At the minute i do usually 2 excercises per bodypart

first excercise is done for 4 sets of 6 (or 8 on legs). Using the same weight for all sets. Once i can easily complete 2 to 3 extra reps on the last set ill up the weight a touch next time never sacrificing form for weight and always slow on negatives

Second excercise is done for 2 to 3 sets with higher reps or shorter rest eg either 2 sets of 20 to 30 reps with a decent rest or 3 sets of 8 to 12 with 20 seconds rest.

The idea is to promote hypertrophy both ways. Through strength gains in good form with the first excerciseand through pumping on the second.

Really like this system and will be sticking with it.

Oneset to failure did work for me but multiple sets worked much better.

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 07:55:20 AM »
if i go heavier(less reps) then i will add few more sets..
T