Author Topic: i got into the 'calorie is a calorie' debate with a nutritionist this weekend  (Read 4772 times)

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
so, im at a friends surprise bday party. there are a bunch of us at the restaurant waiting for him to show up, and we are all gathered at the bar having drinks. my one friend shows up with a new broad. introductions are made, and then the typical 'what do you do for a living?' crops up. turns out shes a 'nutritionist'. i'm like perfect, lets see what kind of chick this is, cause you can really find out a lot about a person in just a few minutes of a conversation that isnt he usual 'fluff'. so, were all standing chatting and i say 'lemme ask you a question' shes all smiles- 'sure' she says. i say 'is a calorie really just a calorie?'

the smile slips. 'what do you mean', she says. now shes kind of defensive, and i dont know why, but i want to know why. and now i want to see whats behind the, what once was, big, friendly smile

so, everyone stops and listens. im like well, say the amount of calories i take in daily to just maintain my bodyweight is 2500, shouldnt i be able to eat whatever i want as long as im in a caloire deficit and lose weight?

smile is now totally gone. she says flatly 'no.'. now everyone is paying close attention cause the energy is changing, not mine, hers, im still very innocent and light hearted, but her back is UP. and my buddy is looking at me as if to say 'dude, the fuck are you doing'.

im like you mean to tell me that if i eat 1500cals a day of cheeseburgers i wont lose weight- granted its not the healthiest diet, but dont i have to lose weight? i have to im in a calorie deficit'. she says- and im not kidding you- 'im not going to debate this with you' and shes angry!

now everyones energy is totally gone off the awkward scale, so, in order to ease tensions- and so the night goes nicely for my buddy- i played it off that i had a buddy who told me this, that i dont know a lot about this kind of stuff and that it really didnt make sense to me either.

i learned 2 things here- shes a bitch- i mean seriously who'd get offended so soon into an innocent conversation, and ya i told my buddy this, and b) she knows that shes selling people bullshit and that why she got so upset, defensive and refused to discuss it.

#coolstorybrah # nothisshitagain

b

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
maybe she got defensive because "a calorie is a calorie" is so retarded its offensive?

no one

• Getbig V
maybe she got defensive because "a calorie is a calorie" is so retarded its offensive?

your ignorance is so retarded its offensive.

eat 1500 cals of pizza cheeseburgers and apple pie a day. if your bmr is 2500cals you'll lose weight.

thanks for playing.
b

Bam-bam

• Getbig V
your ignorance is offensive.

eat 1500 cals of pizza cheeseburgers and apple pie a day. if your bmr is 2500cals you'll lose weight.

thanks for playing.

Listen noob: her job is about body composition and health.  raw weight numbers matters not.

She knew you were trying to trap her playing the dumb card with this "a calorie is a calorie" retard tautology.

And according to your own post she made you backpaddle very fast rofl.

Good girl. I would probably allow her deep throat my cock for that.

biff

• Getbig IV
she's probably been attacked with that sort of loaded question before, the defensiveness is understandable, especially since it seems you were looking for an argument anyway.

no one

• Getbig V

Listen noob: her job is about body composition and health.  raw weight numbers matters not.

She knew you were trying to trap her playing the dumb card with this "a calorie is a calorie" retard tautology.

And according to your own post she made you backpaddle very fast rofl.

Good girl. I would probably let her suck my cock for that.

wrong, simpleton. the conversation wasnt about overall health. it was about losing weight, she knew this and i made it clear. its possible her comprehension skills are as lacking as yours. are you a nutritionist by chance?

try reading the posts before you comment- you'll save yourself some embarrassment in the future.

next.
b

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Dumb bitch,

Wish a ripped True Adonis or Wavelength had walked in to back you up.

no one

• Getbig V
she's probably been attacked with that sort of loaded question before, the defensiveness is understandable, especially since it seems you were looking for an argument anyway.

how was i looking for an argument? how is it loaded? attacked? are you passive aggressive by chance? lol i had never had the chance to debate this with a nutritionist. i wanted to know why a calorie isnt just a calorie in a caloric deficit when it concerns weight loss. if she had been able to satisfy me with a logical answer i would have thanked her for educating me as such, and thats sincere.
b

no one

• Getbig V
ive talked to an upcoming doctor who studies this at university and she wasnt a bitch, talke nicely and all.

she kinda agrees with you, but says some of the bbuilder broscience stuff is true.

but to what degree and how much a difference it makes is the question.

dude thats all i wanted was to know an answer from a 'professional' about this where it regards weight loss. anyway it told me more about her character than anything.

but to flatly say 'no' and then not tell me why and default to 'im not going to discuss it'?

pretty lame.
b

no one

• Getbig V
Dumb bitch,

yup.

people tend to get defensive when they feel you are questioning their overall use when they make $150hr to sell people bullshit.
b

bradistani

• Getbig V
Dumb bitch,

haha.. can you imagine.. in thongs too  ;D

BigCyp

• Getbig V
Haha yes good call, she was probably planning to fleece some of your friends at the meal, and you dropped the cal-bomb

no one

• Getbig V
Haha yes good call, she was probably planning to fleece some of your friends at the meal, and you dropped the cal-bomb

oh ya at supper she says 'im going to throw you guys a bone' and starts to go on about the benefits of magnesium and other vitamins and minerals where aging and anti aging is concerned.

throw us a bone. like who would even say that? as if to say 'im going to help you out cause after all im a professional, and i make $150 an hr to do this but im going to give you this one free- i hope you acknowledge my greatness and sacrifice here' instead of just saying 'hey guys is your concerned about aging etc...'

throw us a bone lol jesus :D

*edit i just figured out why she got so mad- her career is her idenity- shes not so and so the person, shes so and so the nutrionist. now i get it. thats her whole identity- her job. wow. hope my buddy didnt get her preggo.
b

bigmc

• Getbig V
no one looks big and ripped hard to argue with that
T

BigCyp

• Getbig V
I've probably learned more practical, truthful information about foods and their effect on the body, from getbig, than I ever would talking to a professional dietitian.

bigmc

• Getbig V
I've probably learned more practical, truthful information about foods and their effect on the body, from getbig, than I ever would talking to a professional dietitian.

yes cyp especially the ugandan specials consumed by many of the twinks on here
T

no one

• Getbig V

agreed. about everything regarding training, nutrition, drug use the amount of free info on this board that all you have to do is apply is staggering.

props to everyone for that btw.
b

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
haha.. can you imagine.. in thongs too  ;D

haha!!  Like you were just always hanging in the waiting for the perfect opportunities to defend Adonis principles.

You strut out from the corner in a thong, lol

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
First off, your were right.

Secondly, she's a nutritionist and I wouldn't think she'd, in front of others, agree with that simplified truth, formulated in the way you did, because it would seemingly undermine her profession and perhaps feel a little uncomfortable. From her perspective it probably sounded like you questioned her whole profession in an unpolite manner on the first encounter.

Maybe she knows you're technically right, but simply prefers not to sound like she endorses those kinds of diets so people think it's okay to eat like shit.

juggerburn

• Getbig II
knowing how much of an argument that causes on message boards, I would have avoided any discussion about health and fitness. It has been proven countless times that you can lose weight with just "junk food" but the reason it causes an argument is simple. It undermines her profession. What good is she if people can eat whatever the hell they want and be healthy? And chances are, she has had this debate before and knew what you were trying to do, which is be an asshole and start a confrontation for nothing. If I were there, I would have immediately known that you had that discussion before and it wasn't a random thought. Guessing she knew the same.

Twaddle

• Getbig V
Gayer than "having a discussion about nutrition", when you're out with friends at a bar.   :-\   :D

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit

This sums it up nicely. 
a

bigmc

• Getbig V
knowing how much of an argument that causes on message boards, I would have avoided any discussion about health and fitness. It has been proven countless times that you can lose weight with just "junk food" but the reason it causes an argument is simple. It undermines her profession. What good is she if people can eat whatever the hell they want and be healthy? And chances are, she has had this debate before and knew what you were trying to do, which is be an asshole and start a confrontation for nothing. If I were there, I would have immediately known that you had that discussion before and it wasn't a random thought. Guessing she knew the same.

true adonis posting on his other account in this thread
T

no one

• Getbig V

i agree with one part of this- why she got her back up, but like i said, i have never had a chance to discuss this with a professional- only on here, and from the looks of this fucking place there arent a whole lot of people who know whats going on to the point of making a career out of giving advise about dieting for fat loss. and it wasnt a random thought- it was a pointed question to someone who should have the expertise to answer it from a viewpoint given by education. so i wanted to know. is it true? and if not why? all she had to say was like galienkos friend said 'ya to a point it is true' then we could have had a pretty good discussion, i could have learned something that helped me, and in turn passed it along to you ungrateful lot.

:D
b

juggerburn

• Getbig II
First off, your were right.

Secondly, she's a nutritionist and I wouldn't think she'd, in front of others, agree with that simplified truth, formulated in the way you did, because it would seemingly undermine her profession and perhaps feel a little uncomfortable. From her perspective it probably sounded like you questioned her whole profession in an unpolite manner on the first encounter.

Maybe she knows you're technically right, but simply prefers not to sound like she endorses those kinds of diets so people think it's okay to eat like shit.

Hmm, I would say it is comparable to meeting a pro bodybuilder in the same instance and asking if he taking insulin and hgh lol. No casual person knows about those things, and you are asking a question you already know the answer to, so it's like the purpose of the question was to demean instead gain knowledge. You should have had more balls and straight up said "I don't believe in healthy eating, you can eat whatever you want." And for that to be the first thing you ask...You need to work on your social skills.