Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 726400 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #625 on: July 21, 2013, 12:14:35 PM »
Back to the past once again!
what's the story behind that strange arnold, draper pic. was this taken in hawaii???? bill starr writer lifter looking like a hippie here.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #626 on: July 21, 2013, 12:21:20 PM »
Name the couple and the location, and you know this stuff pretty darn well...
pax beale author of body for the ages is quite the inspirational person from heart surgery survivor to bodybuilder.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #627 on: July 21, 2013, 12:24:30 PM »
pax beale author of body for the ages is quite the inspirational person from heart surgery survivor to bodybuilder.
book "body for the ages"  is still available on amazon for 30 bucks new and 22 used.
F

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #628 on: July 21, 2013, 03:05:36 PM »
Ahhhh to be Arnold. He is lifting here....correct?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #629 on: July 21, 2013, 04:54:24 PM »
MB, Arnold looks more like he's squatting.

FUNK, I'm impressed by your weight game knowledge. I honestly didn't think anyone would ID Pax, but ou did. Plus his heart incident.

I'm gonna throw a few weight related names at ya to see if you can ID them without searching on the net. Let me know if you can do it ....

Dr Peter Gerorge
Harold Sakata
Mike Lambert
Gus Rethwisch
Gene Mozee
Hugo Labra

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #630 on: July 21, 2013, 04:56:51 PM »
FUNK, the photo with Arnold, Draper, and Wayne Anderson (ISMC) was taken by myself many years ago.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #631 on: July 21, 2013, 06:10:21 PM »

FUNK, I'm impressed by your weight game knowledge. I honestly didn't think anyone would ID Pax, but ou did. Plus his heart incident.

I'm gonna throw a few weight related names at ya to see if you can ID them without searching on the net. Let me know if you can do it ....

Dr Peter Gerorge
Harold Sakata
Mike Lambert
Gus Rethwisch
Gene Mozee
Hugo Labra

Funk will know these names...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #632 on: July 21, 2013, 09:08:32 PM »
How about you, JOE?

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #633 on: July 22, 2013, 04:13:55 AM »
How about you, JOE?

Yes all well known to me. I posted about Sakata on the ironhistory facebook page over the weekend before I saw this list.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #634 on: July 22, 2013, 05:30:31 AM »

Dr Peter Gerorge
Harold Sakata
Mike Lambert
Gus Rethwisch
Gene Mozee
Hugo Labra

yup, i know all the names. here's a few pics for you. how many of these guys have you encountered or met thru the years. [ics next post.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #635 on: July 22, 2013, 05:34:57 AM »
i know you talked about means but any vince g stories.another pic of essmaker.
F

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #636 on: July 22, 2013, 07:29:59 AM »

Dr Peter Gerorge
Harold Sakata
Mike Lambert
Gus Rethwisch
Gene Mozee
Hugo Labra
Oddjob. Goldfinger (1964).   

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #637 on: July 22, 2013, 07:45:51 AM »
Betty Weider.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #638 on: July 22, 2013, 07:45:58 AM »
 :) bert goodrich number 2
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #639 on: July 22, 2013, 07:48:54 AM »
Betty Weider.
:) the former betty brosner.
F

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #640 on: July 22, 2013, 07:52:08 AM »
She was hot that hour glass figure.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #641 on: July 22, 2013, 07:52:27 AM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #642 on: July 22, 2013, 09:40:35 AM »
anirher betty w shot
F

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #643 on: July 22, 2013, 12:28:54 PM »

Brosmer, I believe. Sometimes an 'e' was inserted.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #644 on: July 22, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
Name the couple and the location, and you know this stuff pretty darn well...

Holy cow....Pax Beale....how could I forget him? One of the greatest self promoters of our time. I was on stage with him at least twice. When he was announced the audience went wild. I wondered "Who TF is he?"
He promoted winning the Mr. America Over 40. Well that was not the AAU (I was National Masters Chairman for a while) as they called it Masters Mr. America. The NPC calls their National show Masters Nationals where Pax took 4th if I recall in Over 60 Heavyweight. The Venice Muscle Beach had a few shows in the 70s they called the Mr. America Over 40. Perhaps? The AAU put a stop to the trademark infringement as they did with the NPC. Pax also claimed 19 1/2" arms. What? Then mine were 20". I always want to say..."He was a nice guy". However Pax was standoffish so I never got to know him to comment. Pax did overcome MAJOR heart surgery. Tough nut!! Sure hope he is still around pushing the iron.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #645 on: July 22, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
One old photo and the other was taken two years ago at the USA Championships.

You should be able to ID two of them in the USA shot/

I trained in the same gym as John back in the day. He was a county cop but I believe he left to pursue pro bodybuilding. As far as I know he never went back to being a cop. I wonder what he's doing now?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #646 on: July 23, 2013, 10:14:26 AM »
MB, Didn’t PAX hold a patent on some important piece of medical equipment related to heart surgery. I worked with Pax a couple of times and Keith knew him well and told ne that story once upon a time but I have forgotten it over the yearso

I run into Pax once in a while when I am visiting LA and I believe he now owns and lives in one of those nice houses on Venice Beach. Last saw Pax about two years ago when that photo was taken.

I don’t know anything about John H. but Gene stays in contact with most of those old timers and I’ll give him a call for an update.

Under another topic about bodybuilders from the past … I believe it was Funk who posted a photo of Walt MILNER (from Canada if I recall correctly).

Back in the day when Walter was just beginning to get national publicity, there was a story printed about his training methods which most of us found to be very interesting.

If I recall that story correctly, he would lock himself up in a cabin during the winter, get snowed-in, and train until the snow thawed and summer arrived.

I have met Canadians who have confirmed this but it could be a confirmed exaggeration.

Speaking about Canada …. Does anyone recall Ray Beulieu??? (Spelling??). Another old friend from way back when who won some major title up north and then disappeared from my radar. Once worked for Canadian  Airlines.

And also JOHN MIKL (THOR – God of Thunder) who had a rock group and most likely still does. Another old friend I’ve long forgotten and ..... with a couple of interesting stories for a later post.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #647 on: July 23, 2013, 10:54:35 AM »
MB, Didn’t PAX hold a patent on some important piece of medical equipment related to heart surgery. I worked with Pax a couple of times and Keith knew him well and told ne that story once upon a time but I have forgotten it over the yearso

I run into Pax once in a while when I am visiting LA and I believe he now owns and lives in one of those nice houses on Venice Beach. Last saw Pax about two years ago when that photo was taken.

I don’t know anything about John H. but Gene stays in contact with most of those old timers and I’ll give him a call for an update.

Under another topic about bodybuilders from the past … I believe it was Funk who posted a photo of Walt MILNER (from Canada if I recall correctly).

Back in the day when Walter was just beginning to get national publicity, there was a story printed about his training methods which most of us found to be very interesting.

If I recall that story correctly, he would lock himself up in a cabin during the winter, get snowed-in, and train until the snow thawed and summer arrived.

I have met Canadians who have confirmed this but it could be a confirmed exaggeration.

Speaking about Canada …. Does anyone recall Ray Beulieu??? (Spelling??). Another old friend from way back when who won some major title up north and then disappeared from my radar. Once worked for Canadian  Airlines.

And also JOHN MIKL (THOR – God of Thunder) who had a rock group and most likely still does. Another old friend I’ve long forgotten and ..... with a couple of interesting stories for a later post.

heard of them both and still actually have my thor keep the dogs away lp. the poster that came  with it is gone had it up on the gym wall and my cat tore it to shreds guess it didn't like the dogs on the pic.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #648 on: July 23, 2013, 10:59:17 AM »
i also remember that  thor aka john mikl was also in some hokey horror movie years back.while talking about muscular rockers here's a guy i actually met kane roberts of kane roberts, alice cooper, and phoenix down.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #649 on: July 23, 2013, 11:03:18 AM »
 :)reb brown  mark forrest aksa lou degni and denny miller of whom many consider the worst tarzan ever.
F