Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 722994 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #650 on: July 23, 2013, 11:07:43 AM »
 :)was watching an old western the other day with emilio estevez and william forsyth and howie long in it. and roger callard appeared in a small part.did anyone  in california ever wear these power braclets or bomber tanks???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
F

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #651 on: July 23, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »
Pax Beale has been credited for patents on several back rehab machines and Creatine Pyrovate, which he credits his heart repair, stating the 4 bypasses only brought him 25% RECOVERY.

Pax could have been the succesor to Jack La Lanne but his physical exploits are mostly hearsay and not cronicled like La Lanne. Pax claims to have swum Alcatraz roundtrip,  run 30+ marathons, done the 80 mile Death VAlley run in August in 120 degree heat, and raced a steamship from L.A. to Alaska ON HIS BIKE AND WON. What a man.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #652 on: July 23, 2013, 05:56:46 PM »
MB, How much of that was factual?

FUNK, that last time I saw MIKL was when he was in the process off heading up to Canada to appear in a movie in which Donald Sutherland was the star.  Gonna guess around the mid 80's.

I forgot the name of that movie but I sort of recall seeing it and Jon did appear in more than one scene if I'm not mistaken.

After that film appearence, JON and his group became the major attraction in a well respected lounge act around Las Vegas, vut I never did manage to make contact with him.

He was a quiet and very polite individual and nothing like how he appears while performing as the GOD OF THUNDER.

Story to follow ....

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #653 on: July 23, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »
I have never tried to confirm any of Pax's achievements. I just googled and several links talk about the same dramatic claims without pics, videos, etc. like you can find on Jack La Lanne. Never the less he is alive and healthy and has a great physique for his age....79 I believe.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #654 on: July 24, 2013, 10:07:10 AM »
thor movie was called rock and roll nightmares.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #655 on: July 24, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »
 :)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #656 on: July 24, 2013, 01:00:27 PM »
 :)
F

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #657 on: July 25, 2013, 10:31:43 AM »
MB, Didn’t PAX hold a patent on some important piece of medical equipment related to heart surgery. I worked with Pax a couple of times and Keith knew him well and told ne that story once upon a time but I have forgotten it over the yearso

I run into Pax once in a while when I am visiting LA and I believe he now owns and lives in one of those nice houses on Venice Beach. Last saw Pax about two years ago when that photo was taken.

I don’t know anything about John H. but Gene stays in contact with most of those old timers and I’ll give him a call for an update.

Under another topic about bodybuilders from the past … I believe it was Funk who posted a photo of Walt MILNER (from Canada if I recall correctly).

Back in the day when Walter was just beginning to get national publicity, there was a story printed about his training methods which most of us found to be very interesting.

If I recall that story correctly, he would lock himself up in a cabin during the winter, get snowed-in, and train until the snow thawed and summer arrived.

I have met Canadians who have confirmed this but it could be a confirmed exaggeration.

Speaking about Canada …. Does anyone recall Ray Beulieu??? (Spelling??). Another old friend from way back when who won some major title up north and then disappeared from my radar. Once worked for Canadian  Airlines.

And also JOHN MIKL (THOR – God of Thunder) who had a rock group and most likely still does. Another old friend I’ve long forgotten and ..... with a couple of interesting stories for a later post.

^^
Re: Ray Beaulieu... Ray Beaulieu passed away
former Canadian and international bodybuilder Ray Beaulieu of Vancouver has passed away at age 60 on the 25th of January 2012
My most sincere condolences to his friends and family.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #658 on: July 25, 2013, 06:59:55 PM »
Thanks, Spritz. I was unaware of Ray's passing. We were good friends a year or so after he won that Canadian contest. I believe Ray worked as a ground crew member for Canadian Air so we'd always get together when he took a free flight to the states.

He was a great guy and had a distinctive manner of speaking which he always claimed was the way everyone talked in Canada.

He was also a good friend of another friend of mine who was somewhat of a genius when it came to the lifting of heavy things and the complete understanding of what was on Gironda's mind before Girondda evern thought of it.

Steve was the kind of person who could simply tell the powerlifters to change the position of their feet and that would produce a 10 to 20% increase in their totals.

And he could talk your head off about who lifted what since the early days of the lifting of heavy things.

Get him and his good frien Bill Starr together and the conversation would go on throughout the evening and into the morning hours.

More about Steve at a later date.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #659 on: July 28, 2013, 08:12:05 AM »
did you ever envounter the first man to win the aau mr america contest who had  not been  born in the old us of a ??????????
F

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #660 on: July 28, 2013, 10:08:06 AM »
Roy Hilligenn was an amazing athlete. A lacto/ovo vegitarian like Bill Pearl he made a big deal about no meat. What I remember from nutrition school is that egg yolks/milk fat  and animal fat are just about the same. Lets not digress. Roy was a champion olympic lifter and feats of strength performer. Claims to have done a one handed 500 pound lift/press. He died at age 85 from a fall/bump on the head.

Roy had the genetic wide waist and thick muscle density that we quickly pin the HGH/insulin label on Bodybuilders today.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #661 on: July 28, 2013, 01:06:39 PM »
Roy Hilligenn was an amazing athlete. A lacto/ovo vegitarian like Bill Pearl he made a big deal about no meat. What I remember from nutrition school is that egg yolks/milk fat  and animal fat are just about the same. Lets not digress. Roy was a champion olympic lifter and feats of strength performer. Claims to have done a one handed 500 pound lift/press. He died at age 85 from a fall/bump on the head.

Roy had the genetic wide waist and thick muscle density that we quickly pin the HGH/insulin label on Bodybuilders today.
that and he ran afoul of the law several times in later life, once for a massage gone wrong with a woman client.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #662 on: July 28, 2013, 01:09:36 PM »
 :P
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #663 on: July 28, 2013, 01:12:06 PM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #664 on: July 28, 2013, 01:13:22 PM »
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #665 on: July 29, 2013, 08:14:23 AM »
I remember Roy saying he was really injured for that Olympic lifting contest. I think it was his wrists.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #666 on: July 29, 2013, 09:12:52 AM »
Yes, Hilligenn had both wrist strained very badly. Lot of guts still staying in the contest and he being a natural 181lb'er lifting in the 198 class. He was born a natural strong man, and made the most of it through his life.

Vegan BB'ers/lifters tend to stay clean, with regards to taking chemicals/drugs for physical advantage. Are exceptions of course.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #667 on: July 29, 2013, 09:29:22 AM »
hilligenn was supposed to be able to C&J 375 at 173 lbs bwt.  he was said to have made 405 at a higher weight.  he was only 5 ft 6.
F

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #668 on: July 29, 2013, 06:48:44 PM »
He broke the world record for the clean and jerk in the gym.  Didn't he spend some time in prison for a felony?

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #669 on: July 30, 2013, 06:24:22 AM »
He broke the world record for the clean and jerk in the gym.  Didn't he spend some time in prison for a felony?
yup see above  it was mostly sex crimes, first one was a massage of a female client that went awry. it was said that if he specialized on the olympic lifts he could have done a 440 clean in jerk in competition.
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #670 on: July 30, 2013, 11:03:16 AM »
Is this the Roy Hilligenn of whom your speak???

Charges:    02/22/1989: GRAND THEFT FIREARM Sentenced 01/09/1991
02/22/1989: GRAND THEFT FIREARM Sentenced 01/09/1991
06/08/1990: SEX BAT/INJURY NOT LIKELY(ATTEMPTED) Sentenced 05/03/1991

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #671 on: July 30, 2013, 12:15:44 PM »
Is this the Roy Hilligenn of whom your speak???

Charges:    02/22/1989: GRAND THEFT FIREARM Sentenced 01/09/1991
02/22/1989: GRAND THEFT FIREARM Sentenced 01/09/1991
06/08/1990: SEX BAT/INJURY NOT LIKELY(ATTEMPTED) Sentenced 05/03/1991
that's the guy.
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #672 on: July 30, 2013, 07:01:59 PM »
Roy Hilligenn passed away a short while back. I believe he served a 4 year prison term but since I can't read that legalize, I have no idea why .

Strange ... but while I was looking through the MUGSHOT website, I ran across a couple of former and very good friends of mine ... both of whom I thought  would get in trouble with the law while we were growing up.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #673 on: August 01, 2013, 10:55:23 AM »
 :)few odd ball pics from yesteryear.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #674 on: August 01, 2013, 11:33:00 AM »