Author Topic: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie  (Read 726204 times)

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
Re: Muscle Beach History - by Stuntmovie
« Reply #825 on: November 19, 2013, 10:09:11 AM »
Zabo was a cool dude best I understand.

Zabo was very cool. I knew him when I trained at World Gym in Venice. Really nice guy with a good sense of humor.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #826 on: November 19, 2013, 10:38:11 AM »
 :- ;D   zabo with his wife lydia . baby in pic grew up to look exactly like her.
F

TheShape

• Getbig III
« Reply #827 on: November 21, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #828 on: November 21, 2013, 05:12:21 PM »
:- ;D   zabo with his wife lydia . baby in pic grew up to look exactly like her.
One of my favorites not a big guy but didnt give a shit about Society's rules.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #829 on: December 04, 2013, 05:38:13 PM »

Beautiful wife, compare that with today's attention sluts in Venice..

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #830 on: December 05, 2013, 11:18:35 AM »
hugo labra? or lou "bug eyes" paul  ??? ??? ???
F

POB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #831 on: December 10, 2013, 08:41:28 PM »
Beautiful wife, compare that with today's attention sluts in Venice..

For sure,no plastic natural beauty

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #832 on: December 11, 2013, 01:12:14 PM »
 :)
F

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #833 on: December 14, 2013, 10:29:11 AM »
Thanks, FUNK and All.

In an  effort to continue .... This will be my attempt to elaborate a bit on what MR. MB mentioned earlier under another topic  concerning the early days of MUSCLE BEACH ( the Santa Monica version).

It will be as honest as I can write it but not completely accurate  when it comes to the minor details simply because it all happened so damn long ago …. When the world was an entirely different place and relatively “Victorian” in its attitude..

Some of you guys and gals may field objections but those objections will most likely occur because the younger generation/generations are completely confused when it comes to comprehending how ‘life’ and the individuals who lived it back in them good old day…. really was.

And ‘life’ in the 40’s and the 50’s was completely different back then. In fact, almost nothing is the same today…..  except for that one  ‘something’ that has not changed and possibly never will.

But ….  you’ll have to continue reading to find out what  that one ‘something’ was.

But if your attention span is pretty damn short, I’ll mention it up front before you fall asleep of die of bore-dumb!

So with that said, I’m gonna do my best to remember things I have long forgotten with an attempt to give you some idea of how everything that pertains to increased muscle size, strength, or better athletic performance really was back then …. And how its all been changed over the years.

SO … WAKE UP! , if you really want to know this shit! ... 'Shit' as seen by the eyes and heard by the ears of someone who was physically present and lived through it over the past 60+ years or so who had the oppottunity of meeting just about 80% or more of the ‘athletes’ who were ever mentioned on this GetBig Board ... plus a good number of the major 'players' and studio owners in La La Land.

As well as many others with the exception of Jonsey of course.

If you hate reading this… blame Mr MB! He got me started by talking about Muscle Beach in the 50’s … but I’ll be starting a few years earlier than that.

Chapter 2 to follow shortly ....

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #834 on: December 16, 2013, 12:21:17 PM »
 :)
F

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #835 on: December 16, 2013, 03:50:26 PM »
Attached are some of my fav 1950s Muscle Beach stills. I so much want to go back in time and jump on the Pico Trolly and head for Santa Monica for 10 cents.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #836 on: December 16, 2013, 04:40:54 PM »
MB, My memory may be a bit messed up here but didn't the Pico Trolly go by 20th Century Fox and terminate in or near the Venice area?  Or was that the same trolly that just south of the Morman Church up there on that thar hill?

You were on Santa Monica Beach much earlier than I ever was so you may recall the electric trolly that ran along the beach from the Santa Monic Pier and all they way down to what is now the Venice Beach Pit.

Back then the Venice beachfront was mainly occupied by old Jewish folks who only spoke Yiddish and sat on the benches in the sun talking about the old days before WWII.

And there were two or three Jewish synagogs right there along the beachfront that were very popular. (Wiggs may know more about that than I do.)

ANd how about the DUNGEON? I went down there once but it was too damn dark to see anything.

ANd the Swedish Smorgasboard place that was so damn popular among the Gold's guys that it was forced to close down because they just ate too damn much way too often.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #837 on: December 16, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »
MB, I don't know the year that your most recent photo was taken, but it'd definitely an early photo of the Venice Pit.

Mr. MB

• Getbig III
« Reply #838 on: December 17, 2013, 08:30:35 AM »
My foggy memory says we took the Pico Trolly from Rimpau Blvd. in L.A. to about Lincoln in Santa Monica. From there we could walk down to the pier (later Pacific Ocean Park), Muscle Beach and up to State Beach. I recall all the old folks on the benches. I did not know then about Jewish people. Now my kids are either married to or half Jewish. Never took the beach trolly but I remember seeing it. The only place we could afford to spend for food was at what we called the Frosty Freeze. Five cents for a single. That would require about a mile walk up Pico then we would catch the Trolly home from there.

I knew nothing of the Dungeon. My first site of a gym was Bert Goodrich's Hollywood Gym in summer of '54.

I sure loved the pretty girls who huddled around and on the MB stage. "One day they will be looking at me. I will be the 'muscle man' on that stage." It took 35 years.

gib

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #839 on: December 26, 2013, 02:29:03 AM »
Stunt movie - great thread!

Hey what were the rec drugs u were taking back then? Just coke and speed or something more hardcore? And how common was it?

As for PEDs can u confirm what guys were taking during the golden era? Word is the Arnie special was pretty much dol 80-120 mg a day and primobilan?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #840 on: December 26, 2013, 06:37:51 AM »
Stunt movie - great thread!

Hey what were the rec drugs u were taking back then? Just coke and speed or something more hardcore? And how common was it?

As for PEDs can u confirm what guys were taking during the golden era? Word is the Arnie special was pretty much dol 80-120 mg a day and primobilan?
those are always the go 2 drugs when ever mentioning Arnold,i think more were involved and used..

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #841 on: December 26, 2013, 08:30:25 AM »
MB, My memory may be a bit messed up here but didn't the Pico Trolly go by 20th Century Fox and terminate in or near the Venice area?  Or was that the same trolly that just south of the Morman Church up there on that thar hill?

You were on Santa Monica Beach much earlier than I ever was so you may recall the electric trolly that ran along the beach from the Santa Monic Pier and all they way down to what is now the Venice Beach Pit.

Back then the Venice beachfront was mainly occupied by old Jewish folks who only spoke Yiddish and sat on the benches in the sun talking about the old days before WWII.

And there were two or three Jewish synagogs right there along the beachfront that were very popular. (Wiggs may know more about that than I do.)

ANd how about the DUNGEON? I went down there once but it was too damn dark to see anything.

ANd the Swedish Smorgasboard place that was so damn popular among the Gold's guys that it was forced to close down because they just ate too damn much way too often.
^^
STUNT,  did you ever see the Ric Drasin video where he goes in depth on all the Venice/Santa Monica buffets??  Funny stuff!!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #842 on: December 26, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »
Happy Holidays Stunt.....missed ya` buddy!  ;)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #843 on: December 27, 2013, 09:03:24 PM »
WES. Good to you back on this crazy  BOARD.  Same for JNN.

Just returned from seeing a great movie ...Wolf of Wall Street and I recommend it highly.

Family still involved in the making of major motion pictures and I pitch in whenever possible but I don't want to travel to foreign locations just to hand someone a towel aflter 12 hours of shooting in a frozen creek-bed. My importance is somewhat limited now-a-days with these new movie making techniques. Falling off a horse was simple but now these fall from mountain tops and helicopters into frozen rivers.

Anyway, WES, great to see ya back! Have a great 2014.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #844 on: December 28, 2013, 05:37:21 AM »
On TCM, rightnow: Don't make Waves,1967, with Dave(id) Draper on the front board credits.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #845 on: December 28, 2013, 09:27:36 AM »
On TCM, rightnow: Don't make Waves,1967, with Dave(id) Draper on the front board credits.

One of the flicks that got me into lifting.  Dave is a great guy.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #846 on: December 28, 2013, 07:37:29 PM »
SCOTT and DOC, Thanks for mentioning Dave and Don't Make Waves.

I knew Dave back then and used to stop by the first Californiua Weider store  across from Zucky's in Santa Monica when he managed and ran the place. I think he was the sole employee at that time.

On one such visit he told me that he was in the process of appearing in a movie called Don't Make Waves and had been filming a part of it on one of the cliffs overlooking the beach ... If I recall correctly it must have been the scene where he lowered himself don into the home that had slid off that cliff to rescue one of the principal stars in the movie. (I forget those details.)

But shortly after, Sharon Tate and some of her friends were murdered by that asshole whose name I have forgotten and Dave was devestated because he had known her well as a result of working in that film with her.

Here is an article that my good friend GENE MOZEE wrote about that movie way back in 1967.

Thanks for  memory kick!

Don't Makes Waves
Hollywood's Greatest Muscle Movie

By Gene Mozee for
Muscular Development
December 1967

Muscle men are becoming more and more sought after for TV and movie work. Three well known bodybuilders, Dave Draper, Chet Yorton and Reg Lewis have important roles in Hollywood's latest muscle flick, "Don't Make Waves."
The new MGM-Filmways production has Tony Curtis and Claudia Cardinale as the top featured performers with Sharon Tate and Dave Draper in the co-starring roles. The $4,000,000 film is based on Ira Wallach's novel, "Muscle Beach." The movie can be described as a "sex and flex" gala spectacular featuring blondes, bikinis and bulging biceps.
The big surprise of the movie to Tony Curtis, Claudia Cardinale and the other pros in the cast of Martin Ransohoff's comedy was the big blond giant, Dave Draper. Dave plays the part of Harry, winning the role from forty-two others who were tested for the part. The film brass at Filmways were so pleased with the terrific job Dave did in the movie that they signed him to an exclusive long-term contract, and have high hopes for his future as an actor. The publicity chief for Filmways Productions, Fred Baum, said, "Dave did such a great job he surprised everyone. In fact, he just might steal the picture." One of the cast, beautiful Joanna Barnes commented, "Honestly, he's so appealing in the picture you want to hug him."

"Don't Make Waves" is not Dave's first movie. He appeared in three others, but in very minor roles. This is an important step for Dave who has been studying drama for the past two years with Peyton Price, Hollywood's finest dramatic coach. The executives at Filmways feel that Dave is definitely on his way to becoming a successful film actor, except for one thing: top roles for lads with 20" arms and a 53" chest seldom get written if you discount the "Hercules" genre. He's really not the type for the gladiator roles. He's too boyish looking. In spite of the "handicap" (which I'm sure most bodybuilders wish they had", the Filmways staff is enthusiastic about his future.
With Draper in the cast of "Don't Make Waves" are other musclemen Chester Yorton (Mr. Universe 1966) and Reg Lewis. Yorton plays the role of Ted Gunder, husband of the beautiful and talented Ann Elder. Reg Lewis looks like the original "tattoo man" in the part of "The Monster." Lewis made several movies in Europe before landing a role in this film, including: "Son of Hercules," "Taur, King of Force," "Gladiatricic," and "Ursus and the Beast."

The whole cast and production crew were very favorably impressed with the fine conduct and cooperation of Draper, Yorton and Lewis and the other bodybuilders who appeared in the movie.

As is Hollywood's custom, the film pokes a little fun at the muscle world, but on the whole, the movie is quite entertaining and I am sure bodybuilders throughout the world will enjoy seeing it.
Co-starring as Draper's girlfriend is the very lovely Sharon Tate, one of the most beautiful girls these eyes have ever seen!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #847 on: December 28, 2013, 08:06:08 PM »
WES. Good to you back on this crazy  BOARD.  Same for JNN.

Just returned from seeing a great movie ...Wolf of Wall Street and I recommend it highly.

Family still involved in the making of major motion pictures and I pitch in whenever possible but I don't want to travel to foreign locations just to hand someone a towel aflter 12 hours of shooting in a frozen creek-bed. My importance is somewhat limited now-a-days with these new movie making techniques. Falling off a horse was simple but now these fall from mountain tops and helicopters into frozen rivers.

Anyway, WES, great to see ya back! Have a great 2014.
Same to you my friend!   ;)

I just saw the previews to that flick.......looks pretty good,and your importance is surely great here on this board.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #848 on: December 28, 2013, 08:48:44 PM »
Same to you my friend!   ;)

I just saw the previews to that flick.......looks pretty good,and your importance is surely great here on this board.
stunt is the man..this thread delivers,,i like to see that movie...maconaghey /dicaprio..

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #849 on: December 29, 2013, 09:01:27 AM »
stunt is the man..this thread delivers,,i like to see that movie...maconaghey /dicaprio..
X 2 on both counts