Author Topic: Photos: 'Born-again' celebrities  (Read 7877 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: Photos: 'Born-again' celebrities
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:25:25 AM »
Yep, very rare to find Christian celebrities....there aren't many.   

Fact is, it ain't never been cool to be a Christian LOL!!

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:29:10 AM »
Yep, very rare to find Christian celebrities....there aren't many.   

Fact is, it ain't never been cool to be a Christian LOL!!
black people think it's cool

Purge_WTF

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:29:26 AM »
Being a BAC myself, I knew about most of them.

It's good to see secular musicians come to faith; they have a great opportunity to help with the Great Commission.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 07:31:19 AM »
what is the difference between a born again and a regular christian

also, what brands of christianity are most common in USA

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 07:47:19 AM »

Born again Christians are mainly non-Catholic, evangelical Christians.

Born again Christians are "regular" Christians too.  To be born again is to undergo a spiritual rebirth of the human soul or spirit, contrasted with the physical birth everyone experiences.  It's an experience of conversion symbolized by water baptism, and rooted in a commitment to one's own personal faith in Jesus Christ for salvation.

John 3:3
Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.

United States Religions:
Protestant 51.3%, Roman Catholic 23.9%, Mormon 1.7%, other Christian 1.6%, Jewish 1.7%, Buddhist 0.7%, Muslim 0.6%, other or unspecified 2.5%, unaffiliated 12.1%, none 4% (2007 est.)

CIA - The World Factbook
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 07:50:41 AM »

Nothing really.   A Christian is merely a Christian.  Today most folks have begun referring to born again Christians as evangelicals.  

Although, many folks refer to themselves as Christians or claim affiliation with Christian organizations, but are not truly Christians.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 08:18:39 AM »
Nothing really.   A Christian is merely a Christian.  Today most folks have begun referring to born again Christians as evangelicals.  

Although, many folks refer to themselves as Christians or claim affiliation with Christian organizations, but are not truly Christians.
i'm a bit puzzled by all the different categories

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 10:01:14 AM »
i'm a bit puzzled by all the different categories

Are referring to the differing denominations such as Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, etc...?

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 10:05:10 AM »
Are referring to the differing denominations such as Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, etc...?
yep

episcopal church etc

roman catholic, non roman catholic

where does it all end

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »
yep

episcopal church etc

where does it all end

I myself belong to a non-denominational Christian church.  It simply teaches from scripture with no church-derived additions, deletions or requirements.  The focus is Jesus Christ and his will for our lives. 

The problem I see with differing denominations and theologies is that men have put themselves ahead of Christ on many occassions to further their own agendas (not always the case mind you). 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 11:01:36 AM »
yep

episcopal church etc

where does it all end

What's the problem with Christian denominations?  There is something for everybody, choices.  I see it as a good thing.  The central message is still the same, that Jesus Christ died for our sins.

And how is this any different than Judaism or Islam?  They have different denominations too.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 11:56:29 AM »
And loco is correct that differing denominations are not always a bad thing.   Certainly there are some instances of competing theologies, but we're not talking about the differences between Catholics and Protestants or trinitarians and unitarians.   Some denominations simply worship a bit differently in terms of music, responsive reading, communion, alter calls, prayer, etc....but in the end the message of Christ shines through.  Some prefer more of a Pentecostal-style of worship and others more of a subdued Methodist approach.  As long as Jesus Christ is the focus that's the most important thing IMHO.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/31/living/gallery/born-again-celebrities/index.html?hpt=hp_c4

Didn't know about some of them but it was interesting reading about Denise Matthews in "The Heroin Diaries."
R

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 03:21:08 AM »
I myself belong to a non-denominational Christian church.  It simply teaches from scripture with no church-derived additions, deletions or requirements.  The focus is Jesus Christ and his will for our lives. 

The problem I see with differing denominations and theologies is that men have put themselves ahead of Christ on many occassions to further their own agendas (not always the case mind you). 

I can argue that the scriptures themselves are full of additions and selections, put in place by men in order to further their own agendas. Why are those additions and deletions ok?

Purge_WTF

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 04:50:31 AM »

That's the way it should be. No rituals, no patterns, no dogma.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 03:40:24 PM »
I can argue that the scriptures themselves are full of additions and selections, put in place by men in order to further their own agendas. Why are those additions and deletions ok?

Sure if you would like to.  Feel free to post some examples for discussion.   I've also read books and articles on NT textual criticism so I wouldn't really be arguing information that is mine, but simply parroting and googling the work of theologians and scholars.  

That said, there's also Ehrman's book Misquoting Jesus that discusses a lot of the NT additions and deletions.  If you'd like an alternative view you can read Daniel Wallace's Reinventing Jesus or Ehrman's mentor Bruce Metzger's book on textual criticism (name escapes me right now).  The late Dr. Metzger actual sides with Dan Wallace's opinions despite Ehrman's book being dedicated to his late mentor (apologist Lee Strobel also interviews Metzger in one of his books....I've got it but can't recall which book of Strobel's).  

Dr. James White's discussion on NT textual criticism is also interesting.

Rhino

• Getbig IV
  • Jesus Christ is lord and savior
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 09:32:29 PM »
yeah I find people like ahmed are just being a parot. I am telling you what I know from my life. Not just from a book or tv. And it's been awhile since I even read al qur'an or haditha... it's all from memory at prayer time and for discussion. We learn this stuff when we are younger so no need to just parot al qur'an with cut and paste like parot. there are 7 year old kids that know al qur'an from heart even lol why parot just for attention? many ppl are against when kid just parot for attention like he big shot and act all arogant becasue he's a guardian... a guardian means someone who memorize al qur'an by heart. :)
X

Rhino

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2013, 09:39:41 PM »
Oh yeah, and it's a lot easier to memorize al qur'an in arabic than the bible in english. So don't be so amazed that so many people can memorize al qur'an without but one hamza out of place. Al qur'an has a flow to it and it makes it easier to remember each and every surah. It's not that hard. And it's poetic with rhym rhyth and very beautiful so it makes it very easy to recite and memorize by heart. But, don't be fooled... that's doesn't mean it' better than the bible as it was just copied and just a really nice poem and story. It's beautiful... take it for what it is :P
X

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »
black people think it's cool

It's very trending, esp in the dead rows.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2013, 08:47:32 AM »
If someone is born again and it makes them a better person, more power to them.
A

Rhino

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 11:19:29 AM »
I am a born again Christian. Jesus came to me and that was that. I have not yet been baptised. I have not yet found a Church. I am now reading the Bible and learning about being a Christian. I don't need a quib'la now to find where east is as muslim alway prey toward holy ka'ba at makka in east. I just prey. God is all around... No need to behave like cult and all pray at man mad destination and man made time. Jesus is all around and so is God.   
X

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 11:34:22 AM »

Agree, but they will die anyway

Rhino

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 11:45:46 AM »
Agree, but they will die anyway
nope. If you find jesus you will have eternal life. Amen :)
X

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 12:11:35 PM »
supposedly

the jesus was sent to die for the sins of humanity since the death of a mortal would not be enough to cleanse the sins

but isnt that a little bit "convenient?"

how about... they just assassinated the so-called anoited (messiah) and then found out "oh hey it's ok, it was Jehova's plan after all"

where is the evidence of all this

can i just kill someone

and then claim it was all a divine master plan that fell into place?