Author Topic: This drummer beats 'em all...INCLUDING Neil Peart  (Read 15890 times)

jephrius

• Getbig III
  • PayDay
This drummer beats 'em all...INCLUDING Neil Peart
« on: June 05, 2013, 07:10:32 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

axestream

• Getbig IV
Re: This drummer beats 'em all...INCLUDING Neil Peart
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 07:15:12 PM »
I expected something impressive.  :-\

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 07:37:58 PM »
You don't know much on drumming, huh?
Not only is music not a contest, so nobody beats the other guy...but Lombardo isn't your most well rounded player.  Drumming is about phrasing, dynamics, dynamic contrast, and so on.  A speed metal track is fast, but that's about it.
You could have put up a ton of good players, instead that clip. ???
Have you heard of Colaiuta, Gadd, Chambers, Mayer, Carlock, Weckl...and the list goes on.  Those are top quality musicians.  Peart has great drum parts and is great in Rush, but doesn't come close to the guys I mentioned. 
Of course, you are free to like who you do.  Just know the chain of command my son.
N

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 08:01:18 PM »
Danny Carey blows this fool away.  When talking about all time best drummers, hell John Bonham makes this dickbag look like a kindergartner.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 08:05:23 PM »
Danny Carey blows this fool away.  When talking about all time best drummers, hell John Bonham makes this dickbag look like a kindergartner.
See above post. Carey is a child in an NBA jersey, compared to above. Never confuse odd meters for musical giant.  Damn, that band meanders about in their tracks.  When the have a good track though, it's real solid, like Stinkfist.  A lot of good production gives Tool that fat sound.
N

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 08:14:08 PM »
 ::)

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 08:25:10 PM »
STEWART COPELAND........LARS ULRICH.......BUDDY RICH.......CHICK WEBB.......PHIL COLLINS......NEIL PEART........KEITH MOON......JOHN BONHAM.....

SO MANY FINE DRUMMERS........BUT THESE FELLAS ARE AMONG THE VERY BEST!

IMHO

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 08:58:12 PM »
You don't know much on drumming, huh?
Not only is music not a contest, so nobody beats the other guy...but Lombardo isn't your most well rounded player.  Drumming is about phrasing, dynamics, dynamic contrast, and so on.  A speed metal track is fast, but that's about it.
You could have put up a ton of good players, instead that clip. ???
Have you heard of Colaiuta, Gadd, Chambers, Mayer, Carlock, Weckl...and the list goes on.  Those are top quality musicians.  Peart has great drum parts and is great in Rush, but doesn't come close to the guys I mentioned.  
Of course, you are free to like who you do.  Just know the chain of command my son.

For a guy who suggests nobody beats the other guy, you make it a point to suggest exactly that with your examples.

You type out names like the classic robotic response. And you tell us "what drumming is about", yet fail to understand that that is what it is TO YOU. As if other attributes and abilities are somehow lesser than those employed by the musicians you enjoy and admire.

I know drumming and I know music. And I know that facility on any given instrument can take many different forms. To be so egocentric to suggest YOU are the ultimate spokesperson for the qualitative elements that go into making a "top-quality musician" is utterly imbecilic.

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
Allow a drummer to weigh in, perhaps?

This is the best drummer to have ever graced a stage. The mark of a great drummer is how many of the day's greats list him as the "greatest ever".

I give you Buddy Rich.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 09:58:50 PM »
To be so egocentric to suggest YOU are the ultimate spokesperson for the qualitative elements that go into making a "top-quality musician" is utterly imbecilic.
It's not just my view, but many who know something about drumming/music.  Phrasing, dynamics, dynamic contrast, groove, and oh yeah, time.  Remember these my friend..and style.
Plus, this is getbig, so you can be an expert on anything. 
STEWART COPELAND........LARS ULRICH.......BUDDY RICH.......CHICK WEBB.......PHIL COLLINS......NEIL PEART........KEITH MOON......JOHN BONHAM.....

SO MANY FINE DRUMMERS........BUT THESE FELLAS ARE AMONG THE VERY BEST!

IMHO
Did you just put Ulrich in the same group as Buddy Rich?  Different styles, but Lars has gotten progressively worse since the Black album.  You ever watch him live.  The guy can't just lay it back and groove.  He was my favorite as a youngster though.
I always thought Moon was sloppy as hell and over played.

All the same, it's easy to pick favorites, it's hard to actually be great at an instrument.  No steroids for music, the beauty in a no shortcut field, that few appreciate or know of...meaning the top musicians of today.
N

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 10:03:34 PM »
This is a great "young" drummer from the up and coming band "The London Souls"

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 10:14:49 PM »
I take it most on the thread don't know about Colaiuta or Chambers?  That last guy looked like Zappa's left over cousin from 72'.  Playing tripelets, like he was trying out for the next Hendrix tribute of "Manic Depression".  I'm sure he's good for that band, but were talking about drumming beasts here.
In getbig terms, I'm talking about Coleman, and others are talking a guy with good results on the P90X.  ;D
N

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 10:36:47 PM »
Buddy was a fantastic drummer. Of this there's no doubt. However, the man's legend has become such that, no matter how good anyone is or becomes, Buddy's name will be thrust out as "the best" by a collective that won't allow any other mentioned.

Fact is, among the tens of thousands of drummers world wide who have become accomplished, quite a few are likely similar to Buddy in monster skill.

To suggest the man bests all drummers in every facet of drumming is absurd.    

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 10:58:54 PM »
Buddy was a fantastic drummer. Of this there's no doubt. However, the man's legend has become such that, no matter how good anyone is or becomes, Buddy's name will be thrust out as "the best" by a collective that won't allow any other mentioned.

Fact is, among the tens of thousands of drummers world wide who have become accomplished, quite a few are likely similar to Buddy in monster skill.

fortress........your arrogance boggles me!!!!! you literally bitch and complain and piss and moan about every topic.....and you criticize everyone and everything......you must be truly unhappy..............are you the real fortress....if so.....you make yourself look like an ass.......if you are someone pretending to be fortress.....that is one thing....but to put yourself out there and conduct yourself the way you do is a pity. I still find it hard to believe that you trash the same champs that you used to interview. Buddy should be in the discussion as far as fantastic drummers are concerned.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 11:00:37 PM »
It's not just my view, but many who know something about drumming/music.  Phrasing, dynamics, dynamic contrast, groove, and oh yeah, time.  Remember these my friend..and style.
Plus, this is getbig, so you can be an expert on anything.  Did you just put Ulrich in the same group as Buddy Rich?  Different styles, but Lars has gotten progressively worse since the Black album.  You ever watch him live.  The guy can't just lay it back and groove.  He was my favorite as a youngster though.
I always thought Moon was sloppy as hell and over played.

All the same, it's easy to pick favorites, it's hard to actually be great at an instrument.  No steroids for music, the beauty in a no shortcut field, that few appreciate or know of...meaning the top musicians of today.
yes....different styles......but both gents are sublime drummers.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 11:07:16 PM »

Nobody said Buddy was a great metal drummer, but his skills make Lars look child like.  Nobody is arguing that.  I would think Vinny Paul would sound better playing Pantera tunes, than Dave Weckl...but Weckl is a much more versatile musician or better.  Weckl can play what Vinny Paul plays, Vinny Paul can't play what Weckl plays...simply put.  
I used to think Ulrich was the "best" in 94', until I saw what true masters of the instrument could do.
N

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 11:11:07 PM »
fortress........your arrogance boggles me!!!!! you literally bitch and complain and piss and moan about every topic.....and you criticize everyone and everything......you must be truly unhappy..............are you the real fortress....if so.....you make yourself look like an ass.......if you are someone pretending to be fortress.....that is one thing....but to put yourself out there and conduct yourself the way you do is a pity. I still find it hard to believe that you trash the same champs that you used to interview. Buddy should be in the discussion as far as fantastic drummers are concerned.
He wasn't saying Buddy wasn't a great drummer, just the fact that amongst certain circles...you can't "be better than Buddy".  I would agree with that. There are many today who I feel are more versed and better even.  I was just laughing at putting Ulrich and Rich in the same category of great.  Lars can barely play a double stroke roll.
N

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 11:17:49 PM »

Piss and moan? Where there's cause to, yes.

And yes I am the one and only Fortress.

I trash the individuals in bodybuilding who deserve to be trashed. Unfortunately, a great many do. That there are multitudes of unsavory personalities in the industry isn't my fault. I just happen to have discovered the truth about many of our "stars".

Of course, if you truly are my stalker (in the way you sniffle at my assorted ramblings), you'll also know I think very highly about certain folks famous for muscles.

Oh, and OF COURSE Buddy should be included in any discussion regarding fantastic drummers. Where did I state otherwise?

You seem to be a creepy fuck who projects your mental illness and insecurities onto others. It isn't lost on me that you're likely some dolt I have encountered in my time within the scene. A fake-tanned wank who uses teeth-whitening strips and is a master of schmoozing with anyone who will give you the time of day.

So are you gonna add this post to your collection of Fortress-bilia? Pull your pud like the creepy 'tard you are?

Smashed again. Just as you probably were when you had the misfortune to have been in the same gym as Fortress, looking like the creeptwink you are next to my superiority.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 11:23:25 PM »
He wasn't saying Buddy wasn't a great drummer, just the fact that amongst certain circles...you can't "be better than Buddy".  I would agree with that. There are many today who I feel are more versed and better even.  I was just laughing at putting Ulrich and Rich in the same category of great.  Lars can barely play a double stroke roll.

Exactly. Thank you.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 05:14:39 AM »
Allow a drummer to weigh in, perhaps?

This is the best drummer to have ever graced a stage. The mark of a great drummer is how many of the day's greats list him as the "greatest ever".

I give you Buddy Rich.

This!

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 05:21:37 AM »
A few of my favorite drummers, Terry Bozzio, Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford, they don't get enough credit for their skill!

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 05:45:29 AM »
They say the  # 1 drummer in the world is Joey Jordinson from Slipnot.

THE BEEF

Seven Copper Coins

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 05:46:59 AM »
Lars Ulrich ? The rich kid who bought his way into a rock band ?

Let me put it like this......I'm a better drummer than Lars Ulrich, and i can't play the drums.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 06:04:08 AM »
J. Porcaro FTW

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 06:14:53 AM »
Lars Ulrich ? The rich kid who bought his way into a rock band ?

Let me put it like this......I'm a better drummer than Lars Ulrich, and i can't play the drums.

You're exaggerating a bit there 7.