Author Topic: MuscleMag, Oxygen, Reps Magazine done - out of business  (Read 48434 times)

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
Re: MuscleMag Magazine done - out of business
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »
why is this Ron ? Bob Kennedy died but i thought it would go on ?
^^
Believe me, if he WERE still alive- it WOULD have gone on!!!

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
Re: MuscleMag, Oxygen, Reps Magazine done - out of business
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »
 RIP

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2013, 09:58:46 PM »
very sad news .

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2013, 10:01:23 PM »
OLDDTIMER / NJFLEX.

I disagree with your statment thatt " bodybiilding is dead"!

In fact bodybuilding and the NPC sanctioning orgaization is growing faster and larger than it ever has since it originated.

It's not uncommon now-a-days to have 300 NPC male and female competitors competing in a single  NPC sanctioned event.

Even the non-sanctioned contests promoted  by Joe Wheatly at Venice Beach three times each year manages to attract over 200 individuals attempting to go home with an award of any kind.

And you would be hard pressed to find a decent seat at most of these contests.

Bodybuilding events may be CHANGING due to expansion by way of more divisioms .. but  they sure as hell ain't die-ing!

I'm not sure about this but if there is any funeral to be held in the future ... it just might be for the demise of professional bodybuilding AS WE KNOW IT TODAY. But that CHANGE will only make it more popular and acceptable by everyone .... including the contestants.

Could it possibly be that Men's Physique has its foot in the door-way bearing modifications that might appease the masses????

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2013, 10:07:52 PM »
The internet killed printed media.

I wish it would kill those Cankles

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2013, 10:12:58 PM »
Those silly magazines created a whole lot of dreams.

PIP  Publish in Peace
a

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2013, 10:22:14 PM »
TOMMY, Did you ever really place your faith into any of those supplement ads?

And if you did .... which ones worked as you hoped ... or as you expected??

List the 5 best products if you don't mind.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2013, 10:39:55 PM »
haha first issue"the way it is!" spotting a guy with gyno on the cover
U srs?  Either your "regimen" has enhanced your eyesight or you have one helluva monitor! I can't see any. 
Btw, is that Richard Baldwin?  Kinda looks like him but then again maybe not.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2013, 10:46:29 PM »
TOMMY, Did you ever really place your faith into any of those supplement ads?

And if you did .... which ones worked as you hoped ... or as you expected??

List the 5 best products if you don't mind.

"Faith"?   No I wouldn't say faith. I had hope in many supplements.  Luckily for many years I got them all free so when I was disappointed it was only mental and not financial too.  :D
a

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2013, 10:46:49 PM »
The internet killed printed media.
This ^. X2.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2013, 11:01:50 PM »
Oxygen, MuscleMag, Reps are in the process of declaring bankruptcy and all of employees have been sent home.

Business for these magazines are over, and as of right now, no more issues coming out, as the printer is owed thousands, and halted everything.

Sad to see the end of an era in the publishing world.

--> Discussions with Musclephone, as he gets the credit for bringing it up

No more MuscleMag? Ouch, this is an End of an Era!

I had quite a few MuscleMag-issues back in the 90s

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2013, 01:28:09 AM »
Where's the gif of the guy from the movie Tombstone?

Bye..........

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2013, 02:02:05 AM »
i still have a Folder of MM stuff that i liked.....

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2013, 02:08:41 AM »
RIP Bob Kennedy and Muscle Mag....

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2013, 02:14:22 AM »

As long as the getbig  server stays alive, not a fuck is given about anything else in the bbing world from me...
O

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2013, 02:42:12 AM »
Disappointed to hear about Musclemag - used to love reading that back in the mid nineties - thought it was way better than Flex.

But it is true - the internet has killed it all off and to be honest, it's for the best. At least the truth about training, diet, gear etc is out there for people to expose under relative anonymity - I wish I had the knowledge that the internet now brings back in those days - progress would have ben made a lot faster.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2013, 02:45:19 AM »
Disappointed to hear about Musclemag - used to love reading that back in the mid nineties - thought it was way better than Flex.

But it is true - the internet has killed it all off and to be honest, it's for the best. At least the truth about training, diet, gear etc is out there for people to expose under relative anonymity - I wish I had the knowledge that the internet now brings back in those days - progress would have ben made a lot faster.
good post  :)

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2013, 03:06:59 AM »

Yes the mag's were the best now just net seems we need go back to older days.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2013, 04:35:30 AM »
OLDDTIMER / NJFLEX.

In fact bodybuilding and the NPC sanctioning orgaization is growing faster and larger than it ever has since it originated.

It's not uncommon now-a-days to have 300 NPC male and female competitors competing in a single  NPC sanctioned event.

Even the non-sanctioned contests promoted  by Joe Wheatly at Venice Beach three times each year manages to attract over 200 individuals attempting to go home with an award of any kind.

Bodybuilding events may be CHANGING due to expansion by way of more divisioms .. but  they sure as hell ain't die-ing!

I'm not sure about this but if there is any funeral to be held in the future ... it just might be for the demise of professional bodybuilding AS WE KNOW IT TODAY. But that CHANGE will only make it more popular and acceptable by everyone .... including the contestants.

Could it possibly be that Men's Physique has its foot in the door-way bearing modifications that might appease the masses????

Thank you for bringing the positively, Stunt.
When people can't deal with the current situation, they should consider to join other forums like Ironage or Men's health.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2013, 04:44:47 AM »
Oxygen was a great spank-book until I realized that my laptop was just as portable. #deathknell

biff

• Getbig IV
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2013, 04:59:08 AM »

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2013, 05:27:17 AM »
OLDDTIMER / NJFLEX.

Think of it this way, if you have 100 events in a year, competitors will be spread out among those shows.  Drop the number of shows by half, taking in account the number of competitors who don't want to compete anymore/won't travel/etc, you can easily see why some of these shows have such huge numbers.

In as far as professional bodybuilding and "as we know it today", what's going to change?  Guys will still pump as much shit into their bodies as they can.  Trying to get to that magical "300lbs and sub 5%" bullshit.  When these guys stop 'competing' they look like shit for the most part.  Is it because they are so burnt out from the years of training?  HARDLY.  The OCD dieting and constant load the body took from years and years of drugs.  The harsh reality is that most of the 'pros' are nothing without their size.  They hang on to that glory longer than other sports/activities.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2013, 05:36:53 AM »
U srs?  Either your "regimen" has enhanced your eyesight or you have one helluva monitor! I can't see any. 
Btw, is that Richard Baldwin?  Kinda looks like him but then again maybe not.

Front cover of the first mag was Ray Novak

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2013, 08:54:42 AM »
KRANK, Thanks for your intelligent response, but I gotta disagree with you entirely.

If I understand you correctly, you believe that there are only more contestants in inividual NPC sanctioned events now-a-days because there are fewer NPC contests.

The fact as I see it is that …… there are more contests because there are more contestants! And that means a hell of a lot of more contests out here on the West Coast of the good old USA.

The only way that this can be proven is to inquire about the number of NPC members presently enrolled within the NPC.

My GUESS is that NPC membership is much, much larger than it ever has been due to the addition of Men’s Physique and the various weight and height divisions within the separate events.

And most GetBiggers will  hate me for saying this but ….. it appears that Men’s Physique will soon surpass Men’s Bodybuilding in numbers  and eventually ... interest (if it has not done so already).

And a few IFBB Pros agree. Expect to hear more about this subject in the not too distant future. It's happening but it's just not noticeable this early in its history.

Bodybuilding comps will never die but they could possibly take a back seat.

Gotta get back to work. We are attempting to start a very-very small earthquake out here  in a remote part of the desert to study something beneath our feet. Something I know nothing about.

As my favorite Old Sayng goes ….. I’d have to shoot ya if I told ya!

TK

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2013, 10:02:25 PM »
From Muscle Phone tweets regarding the interview ex-Editor-In-Chief Bill Geiger gave to PBW Radio on RKP Publishing

"Bill Geiger says Oxygen Magazine has more brand value with readers than Muscle & Fitness Hers."

"Bill Geiger says Muscle Mag pulled in a profit in a profit of over $10 million last year."

"We're competing with every bodybuilder who puts out blogs and stuff"

"PKP Publishing tried to re-negotiate terms of the lease. They had a ten year lease. Ultimately lead to the loss of money at RKP"

"Bill Geiger cites moving into a 2 story building as part of the downfall of RKP"

"They were getting 300k plus per month which was coming from MuscleTech ads"

Geiger says "Tosca had met with David Pecker at American Media" says trying to sell some of co assets. Deal fell through.

Bill Geiger says "they were up to 8 months behind" on paying writers and photographers at RKP

Bill Geiger says journalism is one of the worst fields you could be in right now.