Author Topic: Ventura wins $1.8M from Chris Kyles estate  (Read 25816 times)

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
Re: Ventura wins $1.8M from Chris Kyles estate
« Reply #175 on: August 06, 2014, 10:10:13 PM »
I am sure that being a politician Jesse has some told some untruths that are on record.  I am not going to look them up.  The very fact of being a politician means that they are going to lie about something.

You must be a prosecutor.  lol

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2014, 05:25:17 AM »
LOL

So in other words, you just made it up that he lied.  I kind of figured as much.
you know SC likes to make things up. It is one of the adorable things about him.
w

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #177 on: August 07, 2014, 08:03:59 AM »
Well said.  Much more insightful than that article.  Don't worry about the grammar.  Only the resident Grammar Nazi will care about that.   :) 

Did you learn anything from the article, BB?  Even though it came from that "liberal rag" The National Review Online, lol?  (For the few that don't know, NRO is a conservative website.)

Surely you must have thought this part was notable:
Out of the staggering $3 million that American Sniper collected in royalties for Kyle, only $52,000 actually went to the families of fallen servicemen. (Rather than 100 percent of the proceeds, as the public was led to believe, try 2 percent!)

Honestly, I agree with most of Shockwave's post in that I think that regardless of the court's findings, Ventura had no hope of regaining his stature in the "Seal community". 

Hopefully though, the money along with the court's official judgement will help him deal with that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #178 on: August 07, 2014, 08:58:34 AM »
Did you learn anything from the article, BB?  Even though it came from that "liberal rag" The National Review Online, lol?  (For the few that don't know, NRO is a conservative website.)

Surely you must have thought this part was notable:
Out of the staggering $3 million that American Sniper collected in royalties for Kyle, only $52,000 actually went to the families of fallen servicemen. (Rather than 100 percent of the proceeds, as the public was led to believe, try 2 percent!)

Honestly, I agree with most of Shockwave's post in that I think that regardless of the court's findings, Ventura had no hope of regaining his stature in the "Seal community".  

Hopefully though, the money along with the court's official judgement will help him deal with that.

Yes, there are additional unverified facts in the opinion piece you posted.  Doesn't change my opinion one bit about Ventura being a butt-hurt sissy and a world class douchebag (a word I use sparingly).  

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #179 on: August 07, 2014, 10:17:30 AM »
Yes, there are additional unverified facts in the opinion piece you posted.  Doesn't change my opinion one bit about Ventura being a butt-hurt sissy and a world class douchebag (a word I use sparingly).  

Holy shit, newly-learned facts not changing BB's opinion "one bit"?  Stop the presses!  LOL

FWIW, the only reason I directed my last post to you was because (IIRC) you seemed to express some interest in learning details about who'd be bearing the brunt of the financial penalty against the Kyles estate.  And, since this "unverified fact" came from a conservative source, I thought you'd probably find it a little more believable than the same info from, say, Mother Jones.  (BTW, when it comes down to it, everything is pretty much of an "unverified fact", isn't it? lol)

Lastly, I'm not sure what you're trying to imply by writing that you only sparingly use the term "world class douchebag"?  (Or is it just "douchebag" without the world-class part?)  I mean, you have been known to indulge in name calling so are you just saying that there is special about that particular insult?  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2014, 12:19:04 PM »
Holy shit, newly-learned facts not changing BB's opinion "one bit"?  Stop the presses!  LOL

FWIW, the only reason I directed my last post to you was because (IIRC) you seemed to express some interest in learning details about who'd be bearing the brunt of the financial penalty against the Kyles estate.  And, since this "unverified fact" came from a conservative source, I thought you'd probably find it a little more believable than the same info from, say, Mother Jones.  (BTW, when it comes down to it, everything is pretty much of an "unverified fact", isn't it? lol)

Lastly, I'm not sure what you're trying to imply by writing that you only sparingly use the term "world class douchebag"?  (Or is it just "douchebag" without the world-class part?)  I mean, you have been known to indulge in name calling so are you just saying that there is special about that particular insult?  

Not changing my overall opinion based on facts that do nothing to alter the core facts of this whole situation?  Imagine that.   ::)  I appreciate the information about whether insurance was involved.  I was curious about that, but not because it changes whether or not Ventura should have sued this widow.  

I didn't care about the source.  I read liberal and conservative sources pretty much every day.  As an aside, people who live on the Daily Kos, watch nothing but MSNBC, only rely on Huffington Post, etc. tend to have a warped world view.

Yes, being a "world class douchebag" is a special insult.  I use the word "douchebag" sparingly.  Not sure I've ever used "world class douchebag"?  If I have, I don't remember.  But it certainly applies to Ventura.  

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #181 on: August 07, 2014, 12:36:52 PM »
So... I was digging around looking for the original site I had read about years ago but I can't find the link. There was plenty referencing it though. Heres a quick link...

http://cursor.org/venturawatch/dangerous_game.htm

Jesse's Dangerous Game
A former Navy SEAL commander questions Ventura's claim that he hunted man in Vietnam.
by Bill Salisbury
POSTED MAY 8, 2001--- MINNEAPOLIS-- A few weeks before the revelation that ex-Navy SEAL Bob Kerrey was involved in the death of civilians during the Vietnam War, Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura had ignited a controversy of his own by boasting in a confrontational interview with a Minneapolis Star Tribune columnist that he had "hunted man" as a Navy SEAL in Vietnam.
Resources:
April 5, 2001
Mpls Star Tribune
Transcript of "hunting man" interview
April 5, 2001
Mpls Star Tribune
Initial news story about interview
April 7, 2001
Mpls Star Tribune
Ventura apologizes to hunters
December 2, 1999
San Diego Reader
Jesse "The Great Pretender" Ventura
December 21, 1999
Cursor.org
Cursor researches Ventura's Navy SEAL quotes
HomeOfHeroes.com
Ribbon Awards of the U.S. Navy
How to publicly post a DD 214
US Navy
How to file a FOIA request with the U.S. Navy
UDT/SEAL Operations in Vietnam, by T.L. Bosiljevac
Navy SEAL Web site index
Navy SEALs Vietnam memorial page
Exposing fake Navy SEALs:
Night Scribe
Cyber Seals Wall of Shame
Cursor home
Initial press coverage focused on how Ventura's assertion that "until you hunted man, you haven't hunted yet," had riled many Minnesotans who hunt only non-human game.  But more importantly, Ventura's claim invites a revisiting of long-standing questions about his military service, as it raises new ones about what the governor did, or didn't do, in Vietnam.
In December, 1999, I wrote an article for the San Diego Reader titled, "Jesse (The Great Pretender) Ventura." The article challenged Ventura's claim that as James Janos he'd been a SEAL in Vietnam. I wrote that Janos had not been a SEAL but merely a member of Underwater Demolition Team (UDT) 12 who had been stationed in the Philippines and not Vietnam.
The article relied on several interviews with real SEALS who had been in Nam and UDT men who had served with Janos. I also drew on my 16 years as a SEAL, that included a combat tour as officer-in-charge of SEAL Team 1, Detachment Golf, duty as executive officer of SEAL Team 2 during the war, and a stint as commanding officer of UDT 11 after the war.
Before going to press I asked Ventura's spokesman, John Wodele, for the governor's comment. "We will have no comment on something so obviously false," said Wodele in an indignant, imperial tone. (In fairness to Wodele, I didn't tell him of my own SEAL and UDT credentials, but left him to assume I was just some West Coast "jackal" whining and snapping at his boss's heels.)
Ventura continued to hide behind Wodele and his stone wall when I appeared on the Fox News Channel program "Hannity and Colmes" a few days after the Reader article appeared. When Fox asked Ventura to respond, Wodele wrote: "The only thing we have ever said is that the UDT and SEAL designation is interchangeable and we don't have any further comment."
Why would Ventura - who loves to run his mouth about having been a SEAL - suddenly clam up when I publicly stated in so many words that he was, as my grandma used to say, full of more crap than a Christmas turkey? The governor could have silenced me and his growing pack of critics by simply producing his discharge certificate from active duty, called a DD 214. If he'd been one of America's roughest, toughest, meanest mothers, then that document would list Then there's your UDT buddy, Gary 'Bones' Bonnelli, who says you weren't in Nam with him, but that you were floating around the South China Sea, on a ship with the Amphibious Ready Group -- making ports of call in such high-threat areas as Hong Kong, Singapore, and Bangkok.the qualification for all the world to see. And if the SEAL/UDT designation were truly interchangeable, the form would reflect that. But I know it doesn't without even looking at it. The UDT designation, or Navy Enlisted Classification (NEC) - was 5321/22 and the SEAL designation was 5326.
How do I know this? Because as the executive officer of SEAL Team 2, I recommended men for the 5326 designation after they had completed a six month probationary period. Many of these men came from UDTs as 5321/22s. As commanding officer of UDT 11, I awarded the 5321/22 designation to frogmen after their probationary period. Interchangeable designation my ass.
If Jesse were a SEAL, his DD 214 would also list at least one "Presidential Unit Citation for service Nam." How do I know this? Because of my duty with both SEAL Teams during the war. Every SEAL who served with Teams 1 and 2 received at least one DD 214 (NOT Jesse's)of the five Presidential Unit Citations awarded those units. UDTs received none. So c'mon, Jesse, show us your DD 214. You can even do that without breaking your vow never to talk about what you did as a "SEAL" in Nam.
But no fair relying on public pronouncements by your old toadies in the Teams, or a scrap of paper signed by some fawning Navy bureaucrat 30 years later, saying it's okay for you to call yourself a SEAL because UDTs were decommissioned in 1983. After all, you wouldn't want to be dismissed as a "Paper SEAL" would you? I mean it's okay for some pencil-necked sandcrab like George Plimpton to joke about being a "Paper Tiger" instead of a true major leaguer, but aren't you claiming to be the real deal: an ass-kicking, name-taking Navy SEAL?
Of course if you're unwilling to share your DD 214, then your pet jackals in the Twin Cities might want to fire off a Freedom of Information Act request to the Navy. Or they could request a copy of the UDT 12 Command History for the years you were with that team (1971- 1974). They could read the "History" to see if you got any ink for combat exploits. Hell. if you truly saw combat with Team 12 - faced Charley or Clyde at a given time in a given place with the burnt smell of expended rounds in the air - that would be good enough for me. I wouldn't quibble over whether you were a Frog or a SEAL and you could lay this controversy to rest - give it a double tap, an ear shot.
Another good resource is the Commander Naval Forces Vietnam monthly combat summaries that cover your time in the Western Pacific. Or the UDT 12 Cruise Book that chronicledCover of Jesse's UDT 12 Cruise Book your team's deployments. (SEALS didn't have time for such books.) You could even share your copy with them. One of your former commanding officers at UDT 12 shared his copy with me and said you'd never been in combat. Said he didn't remember you too well at all except as a guy who was good for morale because you had a great sense of humor. Your former CO was with me in Nam before he took over Team 12. He doesn't think the terms UDT and SEAL were interchangeable.

Then there's your UDT buddy, Gary "Bones" Bonnelli, who was one of a very few UDT 12 frogmen stationed in Nam, at a place near the Nam Can Forest called Solid Anchor. Bonnelli says you weren't in Nam with him, but that you were floating around the South China Sea on a ship with the Amphibious Ready Group, making ports of call in such high-threat areas as Hong Kong, Singapore, and Bangkok.

Another picture of James Janos, far leftAnd sure enough, when I read your old CO's Cruise Book I saw Bonnelli and others listed as having been in 'Nam, but all I found about you was that you'd played on the UDT 12 basketball team in the Philippines, at the naval station in Subic Bay.
Anyone wanting to avoid the hassle of prying documents from the Navy should get T.L. Bosiljevac's book, UDT/SEAL Operations in Vietnam, (Ivy, 1990.) Bosiljevac, a SEAL officer, reviewed command histories, cruise books, and monthly operational summaries to compile a chronological narrative of every UDT and SEAL combat action in Nam. The Navy-sponsored research was part of his master's thesis at the Naval Postgraduate School.

I've also learned from men who served with you in UDT 12 that you deployed to the Western Pacific (WESTPAC) during the war from February to October 1971. I checked UDT/SEAL Operations in Vietnam for that period and here's what I found. UDT 12 is mentioned only twice: "UDT 12 relieved UDT 13 in February as the WESTPAC - deployed underwater demolition team (page 155); "(A four-man SEAL detachment) spent 8 August to 22 September with UDT 12 aboard the USS Grayback to assist in training (page 160)." As you know, the Grayback was a submarine that operated out of Subic Bay.
While you were in WESTPAC as a frogman, here's a sampling of what SEALS were up to in Nam:

Raided a VC financial meeting on 9 February, killing four guerrillas and capturing four others.
Conducted a daylight helo raid on 13 February, killing three VC and destroying a twenty-man rest area.
Attacked an enemy base on 20 February, killing one Chinese propaganda officer and wounding five others.
Killed eight VC and captured numerous weapons on 24 February.
Killed five VC and captured five others on 7 March.
Killed two VC and captured three others along with a VC flag and kilo of documents on 15 March.
Killed 3 VC aboard four sampans on 12 May.
Killed five VC attending a political meeting on 7 July.
Killed 8 VC in hand-to-hand combat on 23 August.
Killed 2 VC guarding a weapons cache on 28 August.

SEALs interchangeable with UDTs? I think not.

But SEALS didn't always win the manhunting contests while you were shooting hoops in the Philippines and pulling liberty in Hong Kong: a SEAL squad transiting the Ham Luong Canal on 28 February took heavy casualties when a B-40 rocket slammed into their boat; Lieutenant Michael Collins of SEAL Team 1 died on 4 March after suffering multiple fragmentation wounds from a VC ambush (more about Mike later); Petty Officer Lester Moe of SEAL Team 1 was killed walking point on 19 March when he stepped on a "Bouncing Betty" mine. And so it went Jesse, for SEALS but not frogmen during your deployment.
Of course maybe Bosiljevac somehow missed your manhunting ops. Tell you what - as one old SEAL/UDT manhunter to another - let's share a war story or Bosiljevac's Booktwo and give those who dream of being warriors a glimpse of the glamour.

Here are two "no shitters"- as your fellow celeb "Demo" Dick Marcinko might put it - that have stayed with me for a long time.

Many SEALS like to talk about the first man they killed. I sometimes do that. He was a VC courier sliding along the Upper Dong Tam River in a sampan beneath overhanging branches to avoid detection from the air. I brain-shot him with a CAR 15 - a weapon that looks like a toy. I was close enough to see blood and bone spray when the round struck.
But I usually don't talk about the first man I killed, Jesse. I usually talk about the first man I watched die. His name was Bobby Neal and he worked for me when I ran three SEAL platoons out of Nha Be 30 miles below Saigon on the border of a 500-square mile swamp called the Rung Sat. Neal took a lot longer to die than the courier. Neal was 18 when he got hit: he'd enlisted at 17 on what you may remember the Navy called a "kiddie cruise."

A Chicom grenade that exploded in the well-deck of a Mike boat perforated Neal's stomach lining. After the dustoff helo took him to Binh Hoa, I thought he would make it. I continued to think so until my third visit. On that visit I saw that they'd moved him away from the other wounded in the Quonset hut to a small room behind a partition. He was alone in the room except for a nurse. As I approached Neal's bed the nurse cautioned me that he was very weak. "He's a guarded case," she whispered, "he has peritonitis."
At the time I didn't know what peritonitis meant, Jesse, even though I was 26 - which was getting up there for a manhunter in that war or perhaps in any war.
I've run the Neal movie through my brain so often that the setting and dialogue remain as clear now as on the day I stood by his bed, looking at his pale, slender body covered from the waist down by a sheet. Neal's eyes were closed, his head turned so that I could see the crescent on his scalp where they had shaved his thick black hair to get at the shrapnel. His arm stretched out to receive the trickle of clear fluid coming through a tube from a bottle above the bed.
"Neal," I said softly, "Neal."
He opened his eyes and turned his head toward me. His eyes were dark and seemed too large for his face, like the eyes of a child in a Betanzos painting.
"Oh, what? Oh, I thought you were someone else."
"It's me. How you feeling?"
"Not bad, sir. But I can't move. I mean I got so many tubes in me that all I can move is this arm and my head. Used to have a tube up my nose and couldn't even move my head then."
With his free hand he grasped the sheet covering him and pulled it farther down. "See all those tubes?," he asked. A T-shaped bandage stretched across the boy's stomach and down his groin; two plastic tubes extended from beneath the bandage to a pair of bottles placed on a low table next to the bed.
"Well, those tubes are so I can shit and piss, see. Then there's another tube beneath the bandage to drain pus outa my gut. They change the bandage a lot and Christ does it stink. Like something rotten."
The boy began to breathe heavily as if unused to the effort of so much talking.
I said, "You look good, Bobby. Just take it easy. Don't talk so much if it's a strain."
"Oh no, no. I like to talk."
"I brought you some letters. I'll put them on the table and you can read them later, or have the nurse read them to you."
"Thank you, sir. Who are they from?"
"Two are from your parents."
"My parents?"
"Yes, from Virginia."
"Oh, there must be some mistake, sir. You see my parents are in Saigon. My mother visits me every day."
"I see. How are your parents?"
"Very fine, sir. Except my mom doesn't like being so far away from me. It's a long drive from Saigon."
"Yes, it is."
The boy began to speak again but coughed, then gagged on some sputum. He coughed the sputum onto his chin. I untied the olive-drab bandana from around my neck and used it to wipe away the sputum.
The nurse heard the gagging and came to the bed. I said, "I have to go, Bobby. I'll be back soon." The boy, exhausted from coughing, nodded and closed his eyes.
As I walked away with the nurse I asked, "What's it look like?"
"Bad," she replied. "But he's in no pain."
Bobby Neal died shortly after I left, Jesse, and then I knew what peritonitis meant.
This next story ought to interest you because it's about a SEAL who was a collegiate swimmer. I understand that you were a pretty fair swimmer when you were a young man.
Mike Collins swam for the Naval Academy. They named the Coronado Amphibious Base pool for him after he got churched in the Delta near Ben Tre. I wasn't there, but your UDT 12 skipper was on the helo pad at Binh Thuy when they brought Mike in. He'd taken a lot of shrapnel in the face and head. Your old skipper - I'll call him Jake - told me about it one night around a camp fire in Baja where we'd gone to fish a Pacific estuary called estero coyote. We'd had a good day: we were eating fresh-caught flounder and washing it down with a little "Jack in the Bottle." Nobody around but us and the coyotes whining and snapping just beyond our fire as they searched for fish entrails we'd thrown them.
"Mike was one of my platoon leaders," Jake said. "He was going up river at night with his platoon on the way to an ambush site when the boat began taking fire from the banks. The boat cleared the kill zone without a scratch. But they decided, hey, lets go back and take those fuckers on. They'd no sooner reentered the kill zone when either a B40 rocket or rifle grenade struck and blasted shrapnel across the boat - killed or wounded every soul on board."
"I sent out a SEAL relief force in helos that managed to suppress the VC fire and medevac the dead and wounded. I was on the helo pad when they landed. Collins came off first and even though you could see he was dead - he was just drenched in blood from his head wounds - the docs tried to save him."
"They started pounding on his chest trying to get the pump started. They kept at it for at least 10 minutes. Mike's arms and legs were flopping around and I thought maybe he was alive after all. But the movement was just from all the pounding."
"Yet they saved a guy named DaCroce. I don't know how. Jesus, he looked awful. So much blood. He had so much blood on him you couldn't see the features of his face. The blood was just caked on - just crusted and caked."
In the fireglow I could see Jake was crying, not sobbing, but just quietly crying with the tears tracking down through the fish flakes caught in his four-day whiskers. Then he composed himself and we talked about something else while the coyotes began to yap, growl, and fight among themselves in the darkness.
Several years before Jake told me his story, I had attended a ceremony in Coronado, California, when the Navy named the Amphibious Base pool for Mike. I thought about the last time I was with him. We were chasing Southern snap through the bars of Phenix City, Alabama. Mike had just finished jump school at Fort Benning and I was a new Ranger eager to live my life in danger. We got along. We were jocks and we were SEALS.
I sat behind his mother at the pool dedication on that sun-filled day in Coronado. I heard her weeping for a son ten years dead. I concentrated on the 50 meter lanes stretching before us, imagining Mike powering into the far wall, exploding out of a flip turn, pulling hard toward us. Then all I saw was empty water.
So there it is, Jesse. Now it's your turn to inspire would-be warriors, those who would spare Bambi and be hunters like us, of the most dangerous game.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #182 on: August 07, 2014, 12:37:49 PM »
http://cursor.org/stories/seal_or_udt.htm

A former Navy SEAL Commander asks:
Was Jesse a SEAL or a UDT Guy?
by Bill Salisbury
San Diego Reader
December 2, 1999
Shortly after the 1998 gubernatorial elections, everywhere you looked on TV he seemed to loom from the screen: that great domed head anchored by a linebacker's neck to a professional rassler's torso. And you heard him rattle off one-liners such as, "Sure I can be a good governor for Minnesota! It's not like I'll have to transplant kidneys!"

I first saw Jesse "the Body" Ventura before the election on Comedy Central's The Daily Show. A pert young woman was interviewing him at his horse farm near Minneapolis, asking what he thought, as a former Navy SEAL, about Demi Moore's going through training in G.I. Jane.

"Demi Moore," he replied in that now-famous buzz-saw voice, "has great breasts!"

Well, I thought, Jesse certainly looks and sounds like many SEALs I'd known during my 16 years in the Teams. But I'd never known or even heard of him. Was Jesse for real or was he one of those politicians who sometimes fudge their military affiliation with elite units? I mean, maybe he'd only worked on a staff or been aboard a ship that once participated in an exercise with SEALs.

But Jesse made a comment during the interview that somewhat eased my doubts about his bona fides. "SEALs," he said, "certainly are different. We don't wear skivvies."

Only a Team guy - SEAL or UDT - and those with whom he closely associated would know this verifiable truth. Skivvies - Navy lingo for underwear - were for lesser mortals such as pencil-necked sandcrabs (civilians) or black shoes (ship drivers). Real men didn't wear skivvies. But they did wear massive Rolex diving watches with Tudor movements, just as Jesse wore during his interview.

Jesse's reference to skivvies also suggested he had pulled liberty in Olongapo, aka Po Town: the legendary city in the Philippines that had offered fleshly delights to generations of sailors who passed through the U.S. Navy base at Subic Bay until the base closed a few years ago. Frogmen from underwater demolition teams - but not SEALs - enjoyed six-month deployments to the PI during the Vietnam War and were so prized among the Po Town bargirls that the girls would sometimes "do it for love." And the girls delighted in screaming "skivvie check!," which meant every man jack and mate in the bar would have to drop his pants to verify if he was or was not of UDT. The girls would often follow their skivvie checks with cries of "big watch, little dick, bumfuck UDT!"

The bargirls had no similar slogan for SEALs, who were rarely seen in Olongapo during the war. SEALs from Team One on the Strand and Team Two in Little Creek, Virginia, deployed to detachments (dets) in Vietnam: SEAL Team Two Det Alfa in Binh Thuy (terrorizing the VC and luckless peasants in the delta); SEAL Det Bravo in various places (doing dirty deeds for the CIA); SEAL Team One Det Da Nang (running mercs up north in Nastys); and SEAL Team One Det Golf in Nha Be (helping keep the Long Tau shipping channel more or less open from the South China Sea to Saigon).

I had firsthand knowledge of all these dets, some of which would periodically shift locations, but I was especially familiar with SEAL Team One Det Golf, where I served as officer-in-charge of three SEAL platoons for much of 1967. I also knew a lot about Det Alfa from SEAL Team Two, because I was the executive officer of that Team in 1970. Both SEAL Teams were awarded coveted Presidential Unit Citations. UDTs received none.

I didn't know much about UDTs 11 and 12 then, even though they were homeported on the Strand like SEAL Team One. The UDTs rotated their platoons through a headquarters in Subic Bay, where many of the frogmen relived high school glory days playing football on base and freeballing it through Po Town on liberty. The frogmen in Subic never once lost a sleepless second to the fear of mortar rounds in the perimeter or Charlie on the wire. So was Jesse a SEAL or merely a frogman, that is, a member of an underwater demolition team?

In search of an answer from the horse's mouth, I read Jesse's blockbuster autobiography, I Ain't Got Time to Bleed. The chapter on his Navy career from 1970 until 1974 is entitled: "Navy seals." References to SEALs saturate the 26-page chapter. Here's a sampling:

"[M]y brother, Jan,had joined the Navy SEALs a few years earlier." (p. 60)

"When [Navy recruiters] found out [I was] interested in joining the SEALs, they zeroed in: 'Don't you want to be part of the most elite? The best of the best?' " (p. 62)

"One day [in boot camp] we attended a presentation by the Navy seals they showed us a film called The Men with Green Faces. In Vietnam, the SEALs were known as the Greenfaces, because they wore camouflage green and black." (p. 64)

Jesse took a screening test at boot camp to qualify for what is called Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL (BUD/S) training conducted at the Amphib Base. Those who completed BUD/S, when Jesse was in training, were sent to either a SEAL or an underwater demolition team. Graduation did not, however, authorize the trainee to call himself a SEAL or a UDT frogman. He had to first successfully complete a six-month probationary period in the Teams.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #183 on: August 07, 2014, 12:41:55 PM »
Lots more if you actually start digging.

That site is dedicated to collecting the info about Jesse and putting it out there for people to decide what they think.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2014, 12:45:52 PM »
Again - Jessee is giving the money to the lawyers. 

So really - what did he accomplish with this? 

Nothing whatsoever but make himself look like utter garbage. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »
So... I was digging around looking for the original site I had read about years ago but I can't find the link. There was plenty referencing it though. Heres a quick link...

http://cursor.org/venturawatch/dangerous_game.htm

Jesse's Dangerous Game
A former Navy SEAL commander questions Ventura's claim that he hunted man in Vietnam.
by Bill Salisbury
POSTED MAY 8, 2001--- MINNEAPOLIS-- A few weeks before the revelation that ex-Navy SEAL Bob Kerrey was involved in the death of civilians during the Vietnam War, Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura had ignited a controversy of his own by boasting in a confrontational interview with a Minneapolis Star Tribune columnist that he had "hunted man" as a Navy SEAL in Vietnam.
Resources:
April 5, 2001
Mpls Star Tribune
Transcript of "hunting man" interview
April 5, 2001
Mpls Star Tribune
Initial news story about interview
April 7, 2001
Mpls Star Tribune
Ventura apologizes to hunters
December 2, 1999
San Diego Reader
Jesse "The Great Pretender" Ventura
December 21, 1999
Cursor.org
Cursor researches Ventura's Navy SEAL quotes
HomeOfHeroes.com
Ribbon Awards of the U.S. Navy
How to publicly post a DD 214
US Navy
How to file a FOIA request with the U.S. Navy
UDT/SEAL Operations in Vietnam, by T.L. Bosiljevac
Navy SEAL Web site index
Navy SEALs Vietnam memorial page
Exposing fake Navy SEALs:
Night Scribe
Cyber Seals Wall of Shame
Cursor home
Initial press coverage focused on how Ventura's assertion that "until you hunted man, you haven't hunted yet," had riled many Minnesotans who hunt only non-human game.  But more importantly, Ventura's claim invites a revisiting of long-standing questions about his military service, as it raises new ones about what the governor did, or didn't do, in Vietnam.
In December, 1999, I wrote an article for the San Diego Reader titled, "Jesse (The Great Pretender) Ventura." The article challenged Ventura's claim that as James Janos he'd been a SEAL in Vietnam. I wrote that Janos had not been a SEAL but merely a member of Underwater Demolition Team (UDT) 12 who had been stationed in the Philippines and not Vietnam.
The article relied on several interviews with real SEALS who had been in Nam and UDT men who had served with Janos. I also drew on my 16 years as a SEAL, that included a combat tour as officer-in-charge of SEAL Team 1, Detachment Golf, duty as executive officer of SEAL Team 2 during the war, and a stint as commanding officer of UDT 11 after the war.
Before going to press I asked Ventura's spokesman, John Wodele, for the governor's comment. "We will have no comment on something so obviously false," said Wodele in an indignant, imperial tone. (In fairness to Wodele, I didn't tell him of my own SEAL and UDT credentials, but left him to assume I was just some West Coast "jackal" whining and snapping at his boss's heels.)
Ventura continued to hide behind Wodele and his stone wall when I appeared on the Fox News Channel program "Hannity and Colmes" a few days after the Reader article appeared. When Fox asked Ventura to respond, Wodele wrote: "The only thing we have ever said is that the UDT and SEAL designation is interchangeable and we don't have any further comment."
Why would Ventura - who loves to run his mouth about having been a SEAL - suddenly clam up when I publicly stated in so many words that he was, as my grandma used to say, full of more crap than a Christmas turkey? The governor could have silenced me and his growing pack of critics by simply producing his discharge certificate from active duty, called a DD 214. If he'd been one of America's roughest, toughest, meanest mothers, then that document would list Then there's your UDT buddy, Gary 'Bones' Bonnelli, who says you weren't in Nam with him, but that you were floating around the South China Sea, on a ship with the Amphibious Ready Group -- making ports of call in such high-threat areas as Hong Kong, Singapore, and Bangkok.the qualification for all the world to see. And if the SEAL/UDT designation were truly interchangeable, the form would reflect that. But I know it doesn't without even looking at it. The UDT designation, or Navy Enlisted Classification (NEC) - was 5321/22 and the SEAL designation was 5326.
How do I know this? Because as the executive officer of SEAL Team 2, I recommended men for the 5326 designation after they had completed a six month probationary period. Many of these men came from UDTs as 5321/22s. As commanding officer of UDT 11, I awarded the 5321/22 designation to frogmen after their probationary period. Interchangeable designation my ass.
If Jesse were a SEAL, his DD 214 would also list at least one "Presidential Unit Citation for service Nam." How do I know this? Because of my duty with both SEAL Teams during the war. Every SEAL who served with Teams 1 and 2 received at least one DD 214 (NOT Jesse's)of the five Presidential Unit Citations awarded those units. UDTs received none. So c'mon, Jesse, show us your DD 214. You can even do that without breaking your vow never to talk about what you did as a "SEAL" in Nam.
But no fair relying on public pronouncements by your old toadies in the Teams, or a scrap of paper signed by some fawning Navy bureaucrat 30 years later, saying it's okay for you to call yourself a SEAL because UDTs were decommissioned in 1983. After all, you wouldn't want to be dismissed as a "Paper SEAL" would you? I mean it's okay for some pencil-necked sandcrab like George Plimpton to joke about being a "Paper Tiger" instead of a true major leaguer, but aren't you claiming to be the real deal: an ass-kicking, name-taking Navy SEAL?
Of course if you're unwilling to share your DD 214, then your pet jackals in the Twin Cities might want to fire off a Freedom of Information Act request to the Navy. Or they could request a copy of the UDT 12 Command History for the years you were with that team (1971- 1974). They could read the "History" to see if you got any ink for combat exploits. Hell. if you truly saw combat with Team 12 - faced Charley or Clyde at a given time in a given place with the burnt smell of expended rounds in the air - that would be good enough for me. I wouldn't quibble over whether you were a Frog or a SEAL and you could lay this controversy to rest - give it a double tap, an ear shot.
Another good resource is the Commander Naval Forces Vietnam monthly combat summaries that cover your time in the Western Pacific. Or the UDT 12 Cruise Book that chronicledCover of Jesse's UDT 12 Cruise Book your team's deployments. (SEALS didn't have time for such books.) You could even share your copy with them. One of your former commanding officers at UDT 12 shared his copy with me and said you'd never been in combat. Said he didn't remember you too well at all except as a guy who was good for morale because you had a great sense of humor. Your former CO was with me in Nam before he took over Team 12. He doesn't think the terms UDT and SEAL were interchangeable.

Then there's your UDT buddy, Gary "Bones" Bonnelli, who was one of a very few UDT 12 frogmen stationed in Nam, at a place near the Nam Can Forest called Solid Anchor. Bonnelli says you weren't in Nam with him, but that you were floating around the South China Sea on a ship with the Amphibious Ready Group, making ports of call in such high-threat areas as Hong Kong, Singapore, and Bangkok.

Another picture of James Janos, far leftAnd sure enough, when I read your old CO's Cruise Book I saw Bonnelli and others listed as having been in 'Nam, but all I found about you was that you'd played on the UDT 12 basketball team in the Philippines, at the naval station in Subic Bay.
Anyone wanting to avoid the hassle of prying documents from the Navy should get T.L. Bosiljevac's book, UDT/SEAL Operations in Vietnam, (Ivy, 1990.) Bosiljevac, a SEAL officer, reviewed command histories, cruise books, and monthly operational summaries to compile a chronological narrative of every UDT and SEAL combat action in Nam. The Navy-sponsored research was part of his master's thesis at the Naval Postgraduate School.

I've also learned from men who served with you in UDT 12 that you deployed to the Western Pacific (WESTPAC) during the war from February to October 1971. I checked UDT/SEAL Operations in Vietnam for that period and here's what I found. UDT 12 is mentioned only twice: "UDT 12 relieved UDT 13 in February as the WESTPAC - deployed underwater demolition team (page 155); "(A four-man SEAL detachment) spent 8 August to 22 September with UDT 12 aboard the USS Grayback to assist in training (page 160)." As you know, the Grayback was a submarine that operated out of Subic Bay.
While you were in WESTPAC as a frogman, here's a sampling of what SEALS were up to in Nam:

Raided a VC financial meeting on 9 February, killing four guerrillas and capturing four others.
Conducted a daylight helo raid on 13 February, killing three VC and destroying a twenty-man rest area.
Attacked an enemy base on 20 February, killing one Chinese propaganda officer and wounding five others.
Killed eight VC and captured numerous weapons on 24 February.
Killed five VC and captured five others on 7 March.
Killed two VC and captured three others along with a VC flag and kilo of documents on 15 March.
Killed 3 VC aboard four sampans on 12 May.
Killed five VC attending a political meeting on 7 July.
Killed 8 VC in hand-to-hand combat on 23 August.
Killed 2 VC guarding a weapons cache on 28 August.

SEALs interchangeable with UDTs? I think not.

But SEALS didn't always win the manhunting contests while you were shooting hoops in the Philippines and pulling liberty in Hong Kong: a SEAL squad transiting the Ham Luong Canal on 28 February took heavy casualties when a B-40 rocket slammed into their boat; Lieutenant Michael Collins of SEAL Team 1 died on 4 March after suffering multiple fragmentation wounds from a VC ambush (more about Mike later); Petty Officer Lester Moe of SEAL Team 1 was killed walking point on 19 March when he stepped on a "Bouncing Betty" mine. And so it went Jesse, for SEALS but not frogmen during your deployment.
Of course maybe Bosiljevac somehow missed your manhunting ops. Tell you what - as one old SEAL/UDT manhunter to another - let's share a war story or Bosiljevac's Booktwo and give those who dream of being warriors a glimpse of the glamour.

Here are two "no shitters"- as your fellow celeb "Demo" Dick Marcinko might put it - that have stayed with me for a long time.

Many SEALS like to talk about the first man they killed. I sometimes do that. He was a VC courier sliding along the Upper Dong Tam River in a sampan beneath overhanging branches to avoid detection from the air. I brain-shot him with a CAR 15 - a weapon that looks like a toy. I was close enough to see blood and bone spray when the round struck.
But I usually don't talk about the first man I killed, Jesse. I usually talk about the first man I watched die. His name was Bobby Neal and he worked for me when I ran three SEAL platoons out of Nha Be 30 miles below Saigon on the border of a 500-square mile swamp called the Rung Sat. Neal took a lot longer to die than the courier. Neal was 18 when he got hit: he'd enlisted at 17 on what you may remember the Navy called a "kiddie cruise."

A Chicom grenade that exploded in the well-deck of a Mike boat perforated Neal's stomach lining. After the dustoff helo took him to Binh Hoa, I thought he would make it. I continued to think so until my third visit. On that visit I saw that they'd moved him away from the other wounded in the Quonset hut to a small room behind a partition. He was alone in the room except for a nurse. As I approached Neal's bed the nurse cautioned me that he was very weak. "He's a guarded case," she whispered, "he has peritonitis."
At the time I didn't know what peritonitis meant, Jesse, even though I was 26 - which was getting up there for a manhunter in that war or perhaps in any war.
I've run the Neal movie through my brain so often that the setting and dialogue remain as clear now as on the day I stood by his bed, looking at his pale, slender body covered from the waist down by a sheet. Neal's eyes were closed, his head turned so that I could see the crescent on his scalp where they had shaved his thick black hair to get at the shrapnel. His arm stretched out to receive the trickle of clear fluid coming through a tube from a bottle above the bed.
"Neal," I said softly, "Neal."
He opened his eyes and turned his head toward me. His eyes were dark and seemed too large for his face, like the eyes of a child in a Betanzos painting.
"Oh, what? Oh, I thought you were someone else."
"It's me. How you feeling?"
"Not bad, sir. But I can't move. I mean I got so many tubes in me that all I can move is this arm and my head. Used to have a tube up my nose and couldn't even move my head then."
With his free hand he grasped the sheet covering him and pulled it farther down. "See all those tubes?," he asked. A T-shaped bandage stretched across the boy's stomach and down his groin; two plastic tubes extended from beneath the bandage to a pair of bottles placed on a low table next to the bed.
"Well, those tubes are so I can shit and piss, see. Then there's another tube beneath the bandage to drain pus outa my gut. They change the bandage a lot and Christ does it stink. Like something rotten."
The boy began to breathe heavily as if unused to the effort of so much talking.
I said, "You look good, Bobby. Just take it easy. Don't talk so much if it's a strain."
"Oh no, no. I like to talk."
"I brought you some letters. I'll put them on the table and you can read them later, or have the nurse read them to you."
"Thank you, sir. Who are they from?"
"Two are from your parents."
"My parents?"
"Yes, from Virginia."
"Oh, there must be some mistake, sir. You see my parents are in Saigon. My mother visits me every day."
"I see. How are your parents?"
"Very fine, sir. Except my mom doesn't like being so far away from me. It's a long drive from Saigon."
"Yes, it is."
The boy began to speak again but coughed, then gagged on some sputum. He coughed the sputum onto his chin. I untied the olive-drab bandana from around my neck and used it to wipe away the sputum.
The nurse heard the gagging and came to the bed. I said, "I have to go, Bobby. I'll be back soon." The boy, exhausted from coughing, nodded and closed his eyes.
As I walked away with the nurse I asked, "What's it look like?"
"Bad," she replied. "But he's in no pain."
Bobby Neal died shortly after I left, Jesse, and then I knew what peritonitis meant.
This next story ought to interest you because it's about a SEAL who was a collegiate swimmer. I understand that you were a pretty fair swimmer when you were a young man.
Mike Collins swam for the Naval Academy. They named the Coronado Amphibious Base pool for him after he got churched in the Delta near Ben Tre. I wasn't there, but your UDT 12 skipper was on the helo pad at Binh Thuy when they brought Mike in. He'd taken a lot of shrapnel in the face and head. Your old skipper - I'll call him Jake - told me about it one night around a camp fire in Baja where we'd gone to fish a Pacific estuary called estero coyote. We'd had a good day: we were eating fresh-caught flounder and washing it down with a little "Jack in the Bottle." Nobody around but us and the coyotes whining and snapping just beyond our fire as they searched for fish entrails we'd thrown them.
"Mike was one of my platoon leaders," Jake said. "He was going up river at night with his platoon on the way to an ambush site when the boat began taking fire from the banks. The boat cleared the kill zone without a scratch. But they decided, hey, lets go back and take those fuckers on. They'd no sooner reentered the kill zone when either a B40 rocket or rifle grenade struck and blasted shrapnel across the boat - killed or wounded every soul on board."
"I sent out a SEAL relief force in helos that managed to suppress the VC fire and medevac the dead and wounded. I was on the helo pad when they landed. Collins came off first and even though you could see he was dead - he was just drenched in blood from his head wounds - the docs tried to save him."
"They started pounding on his chest trying to get the pump started. They kept at it for at least 10 minutes. Mike's arms and legs were flopping around and I thought maybe he was alive after all. But the movement was just from all the pounding."
"Yet they saved a guy named DaCroce. I don't know how. Jesus, he looked awful. So much blood. He had so much blood on him you couldn't see the features of his face. The blood was just caked on - just crusted and caked."
In the fireglow I could see Jake was crying, not sobbing, but just quietly crying with the tears tracking down through the fish flakes caught in his four-day whiskers. Then he composed himself and we talked about something else while the coyotes began to yap, growl, and fight among themselves in the darkness.
Several years before Jake told me his story, I had attended a ceremony in Coronado, California, when the Navy named the Amphibious Base pool for Mike. I thought about the last time I was with him. We were chasing Southern snap through the bars of Phenix City, Alabama. Mike had just finished jump school at Fort Benning and I was a new Ranger eager to live my life in danger. We got along. We were jocks and we were SEALS.
I sat behind his mother at the pool dedication on that sun-filled day in Coronado. I heard her weeping for a son ten years dead. I concentrated on the 50 meter lanes stretching before us, imagining Mike powering into the far wall, exploding out of a flip turn, pulling hard toward us. Then all I saw was empty water.
So there it is, Jesse. Now it's your turn to inspire would-be warriors, those who would spare Bambi and be hunters like us, of the most dangerous game.
He never claimed to have fought in Vietnam though.  His remark was to the effect that hunting is somewhat of a joke (which it is for the most part in the civilized world).

http://borderzine.com/2013/03/jesse-ventura-%E2%80%93-a-one-of-a-kind-all-american/

Never one to avoid controversy, he was criticized by hunters and conservationists for stating in an interview with the Minneapolis Star Tribune in April 2001, “Until you have hunted men, you haven’t hunted yet.” In January 2002, Ventura, who, previously, had never specifically claimed to have fought in Vietnam, disclosed for the first time that he did not see combat. However, Ventura, who was stationed at Subic Bay in the Philippines, was awarded the Vietnam Service Medal, which was given to military personnel who took part in the contributions to the war effort in Vietnam.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #186 on: August 07, 2014, 12:51:13 PM »
Go read the site Adonis, theres plenty of links and references to where he talked about being in combat missions in Vietnam. I'm not going to dig them up for you.

Heres a quick few from the 1st link I saw -

Navy SEAL, union member, volunteer high school football coach, outdoorsman, husband of 23 years, father of two.
Ventura Campaign Ad

I'm a warrior at heart. I'm an ex-Navy SEAL.
The New York Times, October 31, 1998

And Mr. [Hulk] Hogan, I mean he wants to be me, anyway. He always--you know, he pretends to be a Navy SEAL; I was one.
Meet the Press, November 8, 1998

You know, I come from a little bit of a military background earlier in my life and we were always taught in the Navy SEAL team never to assume.
CNN Inside Politics, November 12, 1998

High Times: Was your wrestling career fun?
Ventura: It was exciting. And for me, an ex-Navy Seal, it was fun.
High Times, November, 1998

Ventura: I've been a Navy SEAL.
Maria Shriver: But, a Navy SEAL makes you ready to be Governor?
Ventura: Uh-huh. Yeah. Sure it does.
Maria Shriver: Where did you come up with that?
Ventura: It's easy--because I defy--because I worked with things in being a Navy SEAL that could kill me.
NBC Dateline, December 22, 1998

I'm also excited--you know, a lot of my old Navy SEAL buddies are here to see me get sworn in today.
CBS This Morning, January 4, 1999

I'm the top law enforcement officer in the state of Minnesota. I'm also the commander-in-chief of the National Guard. I'm an ex-Navy SEAL team member.
Meet The Press, February 21, 1999

Now as a Navy SEAL, I thought "How did they know that about me -- how dangerous we truly can be?" We have a saying in the SEALs: we don't get mad, we get even.
National Press Club Speech, February 22, 1999

I'm the head of the state troopers, and the commander-in-chief of the National Guard. I'm also a former Navy SEAL.
CNN Late Edition, February 23, 1999

Tim Russert: Both your brother--your older brother and yourself, [were] Navy SEALs?
Ventura: Mm-hmm, yeah.
Tim Russert: You almost died twice, once as a Navy SEAL and once as a wrestler, with blood clots in your lungs.
Ventura: Well, I almost died more than that a couple times as a SEAL. That's only what I told about in the book.
Tim Russert Show, May 22, 1999

Last spring I rappelled down from the top of the Target Center before a Timberwolves game. But, you know, I am an ex-Navy SEAL and I was trained for you know, a full year and was very comfortable in that type of rappelling-type thing.
Larry King Live, May 24, 1999

I couldn't care less what a person's sexual orientation is, and I'm an ex-Navy SEAL.
The Advocate, May 1999

First of all, they should understand why a Navy SEAL doesn't wear underwear.
CBS This Morning , June 3, 1999

Larry King: You were a Navy SEAL?
Ventura: Yes.
Larry King: What was that like?
Ventura: Exciting. I did it at 18 years old to 22, 22-1/2. It was challenging. I would belong to no other unit The camaraderie is unbelievable.
Larry King Live, June 3, 1999

When I was a wrestler, I could pick up buildings. When I was a SEAL, I could scale them.
NPR's Fresh Air, June 3, 1999

Chris Matthews: When you were a--you were a SEAL, you must have been through amazingly scary moments with life and death.
Ventura: Mm-hmm. Yeah.
Hardball with Chris Matthews at Harvard University, October 6, 1999

You're talking to an ex-Navy Seal here.
Playboy, November, 1999.

I was in the SEALs during the Vietnam War, so I experienced firsthand how we, as Americans, were affected by that conflict.
Rolling Stone, December 30, 1999

We're a proud organization. If anyone tries to pretend they're a SEAL, God help them.
Jesse Ventura Autobiography: I Ain't Got Time to Bleed

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: August 07, 2014, 12:55:30 PM »
Brandon Webb nailed it on this matter.  Look him up TA.

Ventura is a slug and handled this horribly. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #188 on: August 07, 2014, 12:59:24 PM »
Brandon Webb nailed it on this matter.  Look him up TA.

Ventura is a slug and handled this horribly.  
Brandon Webb also says that Chris Kyle told him that he shot and killed 30 American Citizens while posted up at the Superdome during Hurricane Katrina.

So theres that.  :-\

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #189 on: August 07, 2014, 01:10:03 PM »
didn't webb say ventura was a seal

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: August 07, 2014, 01:30:07 PM »
My issue is how jessee went about this.   

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #191 on: August 07, 2014, 02:45:29 PM »
My issue is how jessee went about this.   
you can't multi-task? one hand on the computer and the other around your dick? how do you manage an orgasm?
w

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #192 on: August 07, 2014, 05:46:52 PM »
Not changing my overall opinion based on facts that do nothing to alter the core facts of this whole situation?  Imagine that.   ::)  I appreciate the information about whether insurance was involved.  I was curious about that, but not because it changes whether or not Ventura should have sued this widow.  

I didn't care about the source.  I read liberal and conservative sources pretty much every day.  As an aside, people who live on the Daily Kos, watch nothing but MSNBC, only rely on Huffington Post, etc. tend to have a warped world view.

Yes, being a "world class douchebag" is a special insult.  I use the word "douchebag" sparingly.  Not sure I've ever used "world class douchebag"?  If I have, I don't remember.  But it certainly applies to Ventura.  

Pardon me, but I'm pretty sure that whether or not the court's judgement was going to potentially be taking away money from the families of fallen servicemen IS a core fact for many.  For me, it's the only reasonable fact on which to base whether Ventura was morally doing the right thing by suing the Kyles estate. 

Makes me wonder WHY you think Ventura is doing something inappropriate here but I have the feeling that if you tried to honestly answer that we'd probably just get to hear more of your military-worship BS.  You'd recite some variation of Jack Nicholson's line from A Few Good Men by saying "All you did today was weaken a country, Ventura".  LOL

BTW, I won't ask you exactly HOW the word "douchebag" is special (lol) to you (other than how frequently you use it) but I am wondering if you realize that you're implying that you feel that the other insults, the ones you use not-so-sparingly, shouldn't be taken seriously because you don't really feel they're genuinely called for.  ("Oh, I don't say "douchebag" all the time so you can take that to heart but all these other insults?---- Naw, I say that shit all the time so don't worry about it cuz I'm not being serious.")

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: August 07, 2014, 06:56:52 PM »
Pardon me, but I'm pretty sure that whether or not the court's judgement was going to potentially be taking away money from the families of fallen servicemen IS a core fact for many.  For me, it's the only reasonable fact on which to base whether Ventura was morally doing the right thing by suing the Kyles estate. 

Makes me wonder WHY you think Ventura is doing something inappropriate here but I have the feeling that if you tried to honestly answer that we'd probably just get to hear more of your military-worship BS.  You'd recite some variation of Jack Nicholson's line from A Few Good Men by saying "All you did today was weaken a country, Ventura".  LOL

BTW, I won't ask you exactly HOW the word "douchebag" is special (lol) to you (other than how frequently you use it) but I am wondering if you realize that you're implying that you feel that the other insults, the ones you use not-so-sparingly, shouldn't be taken seriously because you don't really feel they're genuinely called for.  ("Oh, I don't say "douchebag" all the time so you can take that to heart but all these other insults?---- Naw, I say that shit all the time so don't worry about it cuz I'm not being serious.")

I stated pretty clearly why he shouldn't have done this, multiple times in this thread.  Does not surprise me one bit that it flew right over your head.

You're entitled to your opinion.   

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #194 on: August 07, 2014, 10:36:51 PM »
I stated pretty clearly why he shouldn't have done this, multiple times in this thread. 
Sure, but you know a lot more about the case now though, don't you?

And, having good reason to think you know much more now, isn't it intellectually dishonest of you to not state your reasons but to simply say "I've already said why he shouldn't have done this" which indicates that you're sticking by your reasons even though many of those reasons have since been shown to be based on inaccurate info? 
I mean, c'mon, why come off as a lyin' POS by not at least acknowledging that some of reasons you cited earlier are invalid?

OK, then.  If you won't say why you think Jesse was wrong, I WILL look through the thread for your reasons:

I doubt he has lost anything as a result of the allegations made against him.  It sounds like he just wants money.  And now it will come at the expense of a widow and her kids.
The court ruled that Ventura DID lose money as a result of the Kyles' lies and that "poor" widow will still be a millionaire many times over even if she has to pay the entire 1.8 million dollar judgement herself.

American Sniper became a major success, hitting No. 1 on the New York Times bestsellers' list where it remained for seven weeks.

Kyle took none of the royalties from the book, according to his publisher, William Morrow, and DeFelice.

DeFelice said Kyle donated his royalties to the families of two Navy Seals, Marc Lee and Ryan Job, who fought alongside him in a 2006 battle that led to their deaths.

No, he shouldn't try and take money away from the families of veterans who gave their lives serving their country, over a few paragraphs in a book.
The quote from his publisher that you seemed to think was credible is actually pretty fantastic (as in unbelievable).  He seems to be saying that all the millions of dollars in royalties were split solely between the 2 families of 2 Navy Seals who died service-related deaths.  Believing this uncritically doesn't quite rise to the level of Coach believing stories from The Onion are true but it's not far different.  Kyles' publisher if not Kyles himself must think that there are an awful lot of gullible suckers out there.

Turns out that not only was Ventura not taking money away from the families of veterans but, because it came out in court that the Kyles estate had only been willing to donate 2% of the royalties, you can't even say that Ventura was TRYING to take money away from the families of veterans.

If this survives on appeal, I wonder if Ventura will try and collect from the guy's family?  Ventura is such a whiney dirtbag for doing this.  I have really lost respect for the guy.   
Disrespect Ventura and think he's a whiny dirtbag all ya want.  But not because he's gonna send some widow to the poorhouse.  She'd still be a multi-millionaire even if she had to pay double the court's judgement against her.

And all of the money from the book proceeds went to the families of two deceased service members.

Good job Jesse.   ::)
LOL.  Man, you're right!  You DID say why you think Ventura was in the wrong quite a few times.  Good job, Beach Bum. lol

And to try and take money from deceased service members just shows how far he has fallen.  If this was really about clearing his "good" name, he should not try and collect the award.   
Yeah, you're right.  These reasons just sailed right over my head.  LOL

He also became a 911 Troofer, which puts him in the class with all those tinfoil hat dummies. 
This one I agree with and although it DOES prejudice me against trusting Ventura's judgement in general, it doesn't at all mean that I'm gonna ignore facts when evaluating the appropriateness of his conduct with regard to specific issues that hav nothing to do with his CT beliefs. 

How did he cash in if all of the net proceeds went to the families of service members killed in action?
He (Kyles) cashed in because all of the net proceeds DID NOT go to the families of service members killed in action.  Only $52,000 went to those families.  The rest of the 3 to 6 million dollars stayed with the Kyles family.

She isn't profiting, because the book proceeds are going to the families of two service members who were KIA. 

And this is a few paragraphs in a book.  Hardly the reason why the book made money. 
Man, how many times have you repeated the falsehood that Kyles' widow isn't profiting from the book?  Say some Hail Marys or some freakin' thing, at least. lol 
Also, some folks a lot more informed than you (including the book's own publisher) have said that the story Kyles told about fighting Ventura during promotional appearances did considerably help sales.  The court agreed, too.  But you just go ahead continue to maintain that you know better, lol.

It makes sense to me that the publisher would pay, but I haven't read or heard that they are in this case. 

Nobody cared about those paragraphs in that book.

And again, she didn't profit from the book.
BTW, from what I've read, Jesse may go after the publisher separately.  If I run across a link supporting this, I'll post it.
(Needless to say, your 2nd and 3rd sentences are bullshit.)

So, since we now know that Ventura has very good reason to believe that Kyles made a lot of money off of the false fight story and given that Kyles' widow isn't being bankrupted in the slightest by the lawsuit, doesn't it make a little more sense to you why I'd ask about your reasons for continuing to maintain that the lawsuit brought by Ventura is wrong?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: August 08, 2014, 09:35:37 AM »
Sure, but you know a lot more about the case now though, don't you?

And, having good reason to think you know much more now, isn't it intellectually dishonest of you to not state your reasons but to simply say "I've already said why he shouldn't have done this" which indicates that you're sticking by your reasons even though many of those reasons have since been shown to be based on inaccurate info? 
I mean, c'mon, why come off as a lyin' POS by not at least acknowledging that some of reasons you cited earlier are invalid?

OK, then.  If you won't say why you think Jesse was wrong, I WILL look through the thread for your reasons:
The court ruled that Ventura DID lose money as a result of the Kyles' lies and that "poor" widow will still be a millionaire many times over even if she has to pay the entire 1.8 million dollar judgement herself.
The quote from his publisher that you seemed to think was credible is actually pretty fantastic (as in unbelievable).  He seems to be saying that all the millions of dollars in royalties were split solely between the 2 families of 2 Navy Seals who died service-related deaths.  Believing this uncritically doesn't quite rise to the level of Coach believing stories from The Onion are true but it's not far different.  Kyles' publisher if not Kyles himself must think that there are an awful lot of gullible suckers out there.

Turns out that not only was Ventura not taking money away from the families of veterans but, because it came out in court that the Kyles estate had only been willing to donate 2% of the royalties, you can't even say that Ventura was TRYING to take money away from the families of veterans.
Disrespect Ventura and think he's a whiny dirtbag all ya want.  But not because he's gonna send some widow to the poorhouse.  She'd still be a multi-millionaire even if she had to pay double the court's judgement against her.
LOL.  Man, you're right!  You DID say why you think Ventura was in the wrong quite a few times.  Good job, Beach Bum. lol
Yeah, you're right.  These reasons just sailed right over my head.  LOL
This one I agree with and although it DOES prejudice me against trusting Ventura's judgement in general, it doesn't at all mean that I'm gonna ignore facts when evaluating the appropriateness of his conduct with regard to specific issues that hav nothing to do with his CT beliefs. 
He (Kyles) cashed in because all of the net proceeds DID NOT go to the families of service members killed in action.  Only $52,000 went to those families.  The rest of the 3 to 6 million dollars stayed with the Kyles family.
Man, how many times have you repeated the falsehood that Kyles' widow isn't profiting from the book?  Say some Hail Marys or some freakin' thing, at least. lol 
Also, some folks a lot more informed than you (including the book's own publisher) have said that the story Kyles told about fighting Ventura during promotional appearances did considerably help sales.  The court agreed, too.  But you just go ahead continue to maintain that you know better, lol.
BTW, from what I've read, Jesse may go after the publisher separately.  If I run across a link supporting this, I'll post it.
(Needless to say, your 2nd and 3rd sentences are bullshit.)

So, since we now know that Ventura has very good reason to believe that Kyles made a lot of money off of the false fight story and given that Kyles' widow isn't being bankrupted in the slightest by the lawsuit, doesn't it make a little more sense to you why I'd ask about your reasons for continuing to maintain that the lawsuit brought by Ventura is wrong?

I only skimmed this, but why the heck to you repost select quotes from the same stupid thread??   ::)  Go back and read all of my comments.  I ain't reading this crap.  lol 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #196 on: August 08, 2014, 09:57:34 AM »
I only skimmed this, but why the heck to you repost select quotes from the same stupid thread??   ::)  Go back and read all of my comments.  I ain't reading this crap.  lol 

I did read all of your comments. 

I did that to try to figure out why you're taking the position that Ventura was acting inappropriately by suing the Kyles estate.  I asked you this question directly a couple of posts ago and you told me that you'd already stated it clearly in this thread. 

And you were right...Except that your 2 main reasons were based on what you should now know is inaccurate info.  (And yet somehow your reasons and opinion both are unchanged, lol.)

I tried to prove that by posting all your quotes that seem to indicate this.  That's all.

I don't expect you to acknowledge your errors (amusingly, that's just not how you roll) but everyone else reading will see what you're doing.  Even, I think, folks like Shockwave who also think what Ventura did was wrong.  And that's enough for me.

You have a good day, mang.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #197 on: August 08, 2014, 10:10:45 AM »
I did read all of your comments. 

I did that to try to figure out why you're taking the position that Ventura was acting inappropriately by suing the Kyles estate.  I asked you this question directly a couple of posts ago and you told me that you'd already stated it clearly in this thread. 

And you were right...Except that your 2 main reasons were based on what you should now know is inaccurate info.  (And yet somehow your reasons and opinion both are unchanged, lol.)

I tried to prove that by posting all your quotes that seem to indicate this.  That's all.

I don't expect you to acknowledge your errors (amusingly, that's just not how you roll) but everyone else reading will see what you're doing.  Even, I think, folks like Shockwave who also think what Ventura did was wrong.  And that's enough for me.

You have a good day, mang.

Actually, what you did was selectively quote me in the same friggin thread.   ::)  But I honestly don't care what you think.  I am comfortable with my opinion.  You are entitled to your own.  I will be having a wonderful day sheltering in place.   :)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #198 on: August 08, 2014, 10:17:25 AM »
Actually, what you did was selectively quote me in the same friggin thread.   ::)  But I honestly don't care what you think.  I am comfortable with my opinion.  You are entitled to your own.  I will be having a wonderful day sheltering in place.   :)

What's wrong with selectively quoting you?  -- My post was way too long anyway, wasn't it?  lol

Fair enough about having different opinions.  I guess the reason for your opinion will always be a mystery to me but that's really no big deal.  (I've made it seem like a much bigger deal than it is, for sure, lol.)

Out of curiosity, what does "sheltering in place" mean?  I haven't heard that phrase before, I don't think.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #199 on: August 08, 2014, 10:21:52 AM »
What's wrong with selectively quoting you?  -- My post was way too long anyway, wasn't it?  lol

Fair enough about having different opinions.  I guess the reason for your opinion will always be a mystery to me but that's really no big deal.  (I've made it seem like a much bigger deal than it is, for sure, lol.)

Out of curiosity, what does "sheltering in place" mean?  I haven't heard that phrase before, I don't think.

Selectively quoting someone to try and prove a point is dishonest, when other quotes provide the full context and additional information.

Sheltering in place essentially means staying home (or wherever you happen to be).  We have back-to-back hurricanes/tropical storms rolling through, so the entire state is shut down for the next few days.  But I did get my run in before the rain started.   :)