Author Topic: Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations  (Read 171479 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
good post

IMO, I have no doubt he would have wound up in prison that way.  Obama's lying through his ass on this.  The Congress and the courts are covering for him.  Anybody wanting to bring this to the attention of the American people is fucked.

When the game's rigged, you gotta find different avenues.

Now there's some shit I think you and I agree that Snowden shouldn't have given away and charge him with that...but I'm not big on throwing this guy in jail for life over this (and I have zero doubt they will try and portray some inflated bullshit about the danger posed.

If it's such a big threat to our security, where are the attacks?  They might be off, but why wait?  If he opened a hole, the longer they wait, the more likely we'll close it.  So I'm just not buying the National Security bullshit.

They want to spy on citizens and they want to do it with a free pass.  Lobby your congressperson!!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »
More fallout.

France summons U.S. ambassador over spying
By Deb Riechmann & Kimberly Dozier
Associated Press
POSTED: 09:57 a.m. HST, Oct 21, 2013
LAST UPDATED: 10:22 a.m. HST, Oct 21, 2013

WASHINGTON » France joined a growing list of angry allies today who are demanding answers from the United States over aggressive surveillance tactics by the National Security Agency, this time, that it swept up — and in some cases recorded — 70.3 million French telephone calls and emails in one 30 day period.

Keeping tabs on allies is classic spycraft but the sweep and scope of the National Security Agency program has irritated Germany, Britain, Brazil, and most recently Mexico and France.

Calling the practice "totally unacceptable,'" an indignant French government demanded an explanation and summoned U.S. Ambassador Charles Rivkin for answers.

State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said the U.S. already is reviewing its intelligence gathering to strike a "balance between the legitimate security concerns that our citizens have and the privacy concerns that we and our allies have as well about some of these alleged intelligence activities."

"We certainly hope that it doesn't" damage the United States' close working relationship with France, she said.

"The ambassador expressed his appreciation of the importance of the exchange, and promised to convey the points made back to Washington," a statement released by the U.S. Embassy in Paris said.

Rivkin assured Alexandre Ziegler, chief of staff to Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius that "our ongoing bilateral consultations on allegations of information gathering by U.S. government agencies would continue," the embassy statement said.

The level of the meetings, between the U.S. ambassador and an aide to Fabius suggested that France wasn't overly outraged by the revelations. Secretary of State John Kerry landed in Paris early today for meetings on Middle East issues and could have been contacted if relations were in danger.

The report in Le Monde, co-written by Glenn Greenwald, who originally revealed the surveillance program based on leaks from former NSA contractor Snowden, found that when certain numbers were used, the conversations were automatically recorded. The surveillance operation also swept up text messages based on key words, Le Monde reported, based on records from Dec. 10 to Jan 7.

The French government, which wants the surveillance to cease, also renewed demands for talks on protection of personal data.

"This sort of practice between partners that invades privacy is totally unacceptable and we have to make sure, very quickly, that this no longer happens," French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said during a meeting in Luxembourg with his European counterparts. Fabius said the U.S. ambassador had been summoned to the Foreign Ministry.

The most recent documents cited by Le Monde, dated to April 2013, also indicated the NSA's interest in email addresses linked to Wanadoo — once part of France Telecom — and Alcatel-Lucent, the French-American telecom company. One of the documents instructed analysts to draw not only from the electronic surveillance program, but also from another initiative dubbed Upstream, which allowed surveillance on undersea communications cables.

The U.S "gathers foreign intelligence of the type gathered by all nations," said Caitlin Hayden, spokeswoman for the National Security Council at the White House. "We've begun to review the way that we gather intelligence, so that we properly balance the legitimate security concerns of our citizens and allies with the privacy concerns that all people share."

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20131021_France_summons_US_ambassador_over_spying.html?id=228663981

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2013, 09:06:19 PM »

I think this is public posturing, in this case for the sake of the French public and CYA for Hollande.

I am sure the Europeans (at high enough levels) knew this was going on.  But none of the public was supposed to.  Hence, all the official expressions of outrage.

More fallout.

France summons U.S. ambassador over spying
By Deb Riechmann & Kimberly Dozier
Associated Press
POSTED: 09:57 a.m. HST, Oct 21, 2013
LAST UPDATED: 10:22 a.m. HST, Oct 21, 2013

WASHINGTON » France joined a growing list of angry allies today who are demanding answers from the United States over aggressive surveillance tactics by the National Security Agency, this time, that it swept up — and in some cases recorded — 70.3 million French telephone calls and emails in one 30 day period.

Keeping tabs on allies is classic spycraft but the sweep and scope of the National Security Agency program has irritated Germany, Britain, Brazil, and most recently Mexico and France.

Calling the practice "totally unacceptable,'" an indignant French government demanded an explanation and summoned U.S. Ambassador Charles Rivkin for answers.

State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said the U.S. already is reviewing its intelligence gathering to strike a "balance between the legitimate security concerns that our citizens have and the privacy concerns that we and our allies have as well about some of these alleged intelligence activities."

"We certainly hope that it doesn't" damage the United States' close working relationship with France, she said.

"The ambassador expressed his appreciation of the importance of the exchange, and promised to convey the points made back to Washington," a statement released by the U.S. Embassy in Paris said.

Rivkin assured Alexandre Ziegler, chief of staff to Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius that "our ongoing bilateral consultations on allegations of information gathering by U.S. government agencies would continue," the embassy statement said.

The level of the meetings, between the U.S. ambassador and an aide to Fabius suggested that France wasn't overly outraged by the revelations. Secretary of State John Kerry landed in Paris early today for meetings on Middle East issues and could have been contacted if relations were in danger.

The report in Le Monde, co-written by Glenn Greenwald, who originally revealed the surveillance program based on leaks from former NSA contractor Snowden, found that when certain numbers were used, the conversations were automatically recorded. The surveillance operation also swept up text messages based on key words, Le Monde reported, based on records from Dec. 10 to Jan 7.

The French government, which wants the surveillance to cease, also renewed demands for talks on protection of personal data.

"This sort of practice between partners that invades privacy is totally unacceptable and we have to make sure, very quickly, that this no longer happens," French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius said during a meeting in Luxembourg with his European counterparts. Fabius said the U.S. ambassador had been summoned to the Foreign Ministry.

The most recent documents cited by Le Monde, dated to April 2013, also indicated the NSA's interest in email addresses linked to Wanadoo — once part of France Telecom — and Alcatel-Lucent, the French-American telecom company. One of the documents instructed analysts to draw not only from the electronic surveillance program, but also from another initiative dubbed Upstream, which allowed surveillance on undersea communications cables.

The U.S "gathers foreign intelligence of the type gathered by all nations," said Caitlin Hayden, spokeswoman for the National Security Council at the White House. "We've begun to review the way that we gather intelligence, so that we properly balance the legitimate security concerns of our citizens and allies with the privacy concerns that all people share."

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/20131021_France_summons_US_ambassador_over_spying.html?id=228663981

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2013, 09:20:17 PM »
I think this is public posturing, in this case for the sake of the French public and CYA for Hollande.

I am sure the Europeans (at high enough levels) knew this was going on.  But none of the public was supposed to.  Hence, all the official expressions of outrage.

Yep, I think you're right... More theatrics for the voters.  :-\

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2013, 11:02:48 AM »
http://www.thelocal.de/national/20131023-52547.html

Obama tapped Merkels phone and she is pissed off.

LOL - you schmucks voted for this asshole - eat it

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2013, 05:22:50 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/european-leaders-say-latest-spying-revelations-have-destroyed-their-trust-in-the-us-government-2013-10

Nice.   Obama is a real peach aint he
that was a fucked up thing to do. I dont think i can remember any us president in that have destroyed europes trust in usaa goverment like obama. If any other country had done the same thing and tapped obamas phone it would have been a big isaue and obama would have punished that country hard. But obama and your goverment thinks that they can do wtf they want to. Sad thing is they can, the countrys here are pussies and will forgive the  kneegrow. And usa calla snowden a terrorist lol. Obama waa liked here in the beginning but he is pretty much hated know....bush did the same thing when they tried to get un to give them green light for the iraq war. They tapped there phones in hope to find spme dirt so they couöd blackmaiö the un delegate. But obama has take it a step farther

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2013, 06:15:45 PM »
that was a fucked up thing to do. I dont think i can remember any us president in that have destroyed europes trust in usaa goverment like obama. If any other country had done the same thing and tapped obamas phone it would have been a big isaue and obama would have punished that country hard. But obama and your goverment thinks that they can do wtf they want to. Sad thing is they can, the countrys here are pussies and will forgive the  kneegrow. And usa calla snowden a terrorist lol. Obama waa liked here in the beginning but he is pretty much hated know....bush did the same thing when they tried to get un to give them green light for the iraq war. They tapped there phones in hope to find spme dirt so they couöd blackmaiö the un delegate. But obama has take it a step farther

Give me a break.  Everyone is spying on everyone else, sometimes with the support of the regime being spied on.  For example, I am sure that the UK has asked the US to assist them in finding moles, and perhaps vice versa.

In any case, these NSA policies started under Bush.  The disappointment I have with Obama is that he just continued Bush's initiatives.  He apparently never formulated a strategy for US foreign policy to replace the Bush policies he ran against.  So he has just muddled along, defensively reacting to each crisis on a purely ad hoc basis.

There is a lot to criticize Obama about, but the outrage over the NSA is not something that should be directed at him alone.

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2013, 02:46:24 AM »
Give me a break.  Everyone is spying on everyone else, sometimes with the support of the regime being spied on.  For example, I am sure that the UK has asked the US to assist them in finding moles, and perhaps vice versa.

In any case, these NSA policies started under Bush.  The disappointment I have with Obama is that he just continued Bush's initiatives.  He apparently never formulated a strategy for US foreign policy to replace the Bush policies he ran against.  So he has just muddled along, defensively reacting to each crisis on a purely ad hoc basis.

There is a lot to criticize Obama about, but the outrage over the NSA is not something that should be directed at him alone.

of course it should be directed to him now, he is the sitting president and can stop it, why go after bush who cant do shit about it?
and i wonder how it would sound if it was united states that where phone tapped by mexico or another country, usa would call it an outrage and threat mexico with embargos etc. its not for nothing the rest of the world thinks poorly of usa today, 20 years ago it was the opposit. i know i know usa is the best and dont care what the rest of the world thinks.