Author Topic: Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations  (Read 171472 times)

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
I'm sure Snowden will be safe and secure in Russia or China or Cuba

Those countries have a long and proud history of respecting their citizens privacy and human rights

Oh the irony of it all.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Oh the irony of it all.
So true. Americans piss me off. No one gives a shit about prism, all they care about is mcdonalds. One dude at my work knew and gave a shit. Half dozen others thought it is great. Fuck these people, they deserve to live under a tyrant, content to hand over their liberty for chic and jerry springer.

How sad.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Disclosing this information, again, has nothing to do with keeping Americans safe.

The German news magazine Der Spiegel reported Sunday that classified leaks by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden detailed NSA bugging of European Union offices in Washington and New York, as well as an "electronic eavesdropping operation" that tapped into an EU building in Brussels.

Mounting anger throughout Europe on Monday included a threat by French President Francois Hollande to halt talks with the United States on trade and other issues unless the bugging stopped.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/01/world/europe/eu-nsa/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Disclosing this information, again, has nothing to do with keeping Americans safe.

The German news magazine Der Spiegel reported Sunday that classified leaks by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden detailed NSA bugging of European Union offices in Washington and New York, as well as an "electronic eavesdropping operation" that tapped into an EU building in Brussels.

Mounting anger throughout Europe on Monday included a threat by French President Francois Hollande to halt talks with the United States on trade and other issues unless the bugging stopped.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/01/world/europe/eu-nsa/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Snowden is a hero - just shows how evil out govt is and why the whole fucking charade we engage in on holidays "land of the free" bullshit needs to be brought to a head. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

Snowden is a hero - just shows how evil out govt is and why the whole fucking charade we engage in on holidays "land of the free" bullshit needs to be brought to a head. 

yeah, I'm sure the great hero is sharing classified information with his new Russian friends

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Hero?  He's a traitor in my book.  I think the "hero" label would be debatable if he all he did was disclose the NSA spying on Americans.  But telling China, Russia, Germans (and probably others) about spying is indefensible. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Hero?  He's a traitor in my book.  I think the "hero" label would be debatable if he all he did was disclose the NSA spying on Americans.  But telling China, Russia, Germans (and probably others) about spying is indefensible. 

If he leaked something Obama said is transparent and something we all knew about - what crime did he commit? 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
If he leaked something Obama said is transparent and something we all knew about - what crime did he commit? 

refer to the charges against him for you answer

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Disclosing classified information is a crime.  And disclosing classified information about the U.S. spying on other countries is treason. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Disclosing classified information is a crime.  And disclosing classified information about the U.S. spying on other countries is treason. 

Leahy, Biden, Panetta, and many others have leaked info and nothing happened to them why again? 

Because it has ZERO to do w the law and everything on how it makes Obama and his illegal junta appear. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Leahy, Biden, Panetta, and many others have leaked info and nothing happened to them why again? 

Because it has ZERO to do w the law and everything on how it makes Obama and his illegal junta appear. 

go find a dictionary

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy

Is what he leaked show the NSA committing a crime?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Is what he leaked show the NSA committing a crime?

Yes.  Anyone with a security clearance who discloses classified information is committing a crime.

OzmO

• Getbig V
Yes.  Anyone with a security clearance who discloses classified information is committing a crime.

No, what i mean is, is the content of what Snowden leaked constitute a crime committed by the NSA?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
No, what i mean is, is the content of what Snowden leaked constitute a crime committed by the NSA?

Ah so.  Sorry.  No, I doubt it, because the FISA court approved it. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Yes.  Anyone with a security clearance who discloses classified information is committing a crime.

So leahy, biden and panetta committed crimes and Obama never did shit about it right? 

OzmO

• Getbig V
Ah so.  Sorry.  No, I doubt it, because the FISA court approved it. 

Ok so a little confused here, mainly because i haven't been drenching myself in detail much on this.

If FISA authorized it and its within the law for them to do this, why is it that Snowdens information is so classified?  I mean, if they were with in the law to do so and we the public should know about it, why is it classified that they were doing it?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

PRISM scandal: Big Obama is watching you browse the web. Even Bush wasn't this power mad

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100220730/prism-scandal-big-obama-is-watching-you-browse-the-web-even-bush-wasnt-this-power-mad

By Tim Stanley US politics Last updated: June 7th, 2013

174 Comments Comment on this article

Internet companies deny helping the NSA to spy on customers

What next? We’ve had the IRS targeting conservative groups, journalists hounded by the state, the NSA collecting phone record data – and now it seems that the US government has been watching what you click on. According  to The Guardian and the The Washington Post, the NSA is monitoring internet traffic through Google, Facebook, YouTube, Skype, Yahoo etc. The programme even has a sci-fi sounding name that conjures up images of some 25th century dystopia: PRISM. Would it also surprise you to learn that the FBI, CIA and post office are controlled by a megalomaniac computer with the voice of Betty White? No, me neither.

There’s some dispute over the details. 1) Were the tech firms complicit in the data recording? The Post and the Guardian initially stated that they were, which all but two of the companies have subsequently denied. Nevertheless, some are pointing out that if they were involved they would be prevented by law from talking about it. 2) Did the US government effectively spy on people without a warrant? If it did, it would arguably be entitled to do so under the Protect America Act passed by Congress in 2007. 3) Director of National Intelligence James R Clapper insists that the press has misrepresented the programmes and that its reporting is effectively undermining anti-terrorism efforts. Although quite how the US government knowing that I’m addicted to watching videos of sneezing pandas on YouTube helps anti-terrorism efforts has yet to be explained.

No one is suggesting that this all began under Obama. Nixon had his dirty tricks, Teddy Kennedy was an enthusiast for wiretapping mobsters, and George W Bush’s administration created most of the apparatus currently being exploited by Obama’s. But we should reserve special anger for Big Barack for the following reasons:

1. He was for surveillance before he was against it. Obama opposed the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act during the 2008 primaries when he was trying to look all civil libertarian. Once he had the nomination in the bag, he was suddenly for it.

2. He’s a liberal and liberals aren’t supposed to do this sort of thing. That’s presumably why the New York Times – the New York Times! – has produced such a hurt-sounding op-ed stating that he’s “lost all credibility” on civil liberties.

3. Obama has broadened the scope of the Bush plan. Take phone record surveillance. Bush used it to unearth phone calls overseas with the specific goal of tackling terrorism – and when his misdeeds were exposed he created a new programme with judicial oversight to appease liberals. By contrast, Obama’s administration has been monitoring all Verizon domestic calls with an indiscrimination that is an abuse even of the authoritarian Patriot Act.

Finally, Michelle Malkin raises a very good question. On the one hand, Obama recently declared that the War on Terror was basically over. On the other hand, he has stepped up efforts to carry out domestic surveillance. So, why the contradiction? Malkin concludes that while it’s possible that the NSA has a counter-terrorism motive, its moral cause is undermined by the attacks on political enemies and the crazy scope of the snooping. Big government likes power – and it wants more.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Ok so a little confused here, mainly because i haven't been drenching myself in detail much on this.

If FISA authorized it and its within the law for them to do this, why is it that Snowdens information is so classified?  I mean, if they were with in the law to do so and we the public should know about it, why is it classified that they were doing it?

The FISA court deals with classified information.  The information doesn't become unclassified just because they make rulings or authorize subpoenas.  \

I don't know what the exact federal law is, but anyone who is given access to classified info is precluded from disclosing it both by the agreement they sign and the law.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
So leahy, biden and panetta committed crimes and Obama never did shit about it right? 

Not sure what crimes you're talking about?

OzmO

• Getbig V
The FISA court deals with classified information.  The information doesn't become unclassified just because they make rulings or authorize subpoenas.  \

I don't know what the exact federal law is, but anyone who is given access to classified info is precluded from disclosing it both by the agreement they sign and the law.  

I agree with that.  If they disclose classified info they are subject to the law, however, if the info is something that exposes a crime by the government I think it becomes a grey area.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I agree with that.  If they disclose classified info they are subject to the law, however, if the info is something that exposes a crime by the government I think it becomes a grey area.

Maybe, although there is a specific way to become a legitimate whistle blower and this isn't it.

OzmO

• Getbig V
Maybe, although there is a specific way to become a legitimate whistle blower and this isn't it.

What would that be?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Snowden blew the whistle because he thought what the NSA was doing was unconstitutional. It remains to be seen, just because a "secret court" gave them the thumbs up does NOT mean what they were doibg was constitutional or ok.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
What would that be?

He should have contacted the IG (or whatever independent agency that would investigate complaints from workers like him) and filed a complaint.  His job would have been protected.