Author Topic: going full circle..... back to what i did as a teen  (Read 1951 times)

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
going full circle..... back to what i did as a teen
« on: June 21, 2013, 07:27:25 AM »
now ive chucked the gear for a good period ( around 9 or 10 month ) i dont feel like i should carry on as i did, i made great gains as a teen just training 3 days per week so im changing from my 4 to 5 days to a very simple 3 day split... have any of you fine fellows made adjustments regarding off or on?

mon  cardio/rest
tues chest, bi's & tri's
wed  rest
thurs legs
fri     cardio
sat   back and shoulders
sun   rest

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: going full circle..... back to what i did as a teen
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 10:42:33 AM »
now ive chucked the gear for a good period ( around 9 or 10 month ) i dont feel like i should carry on as i did, i made great gains as a teen just training 3 days per week so im changing from my 4 to 5 days to a very simple 3 day split... have any of you fine fellows made adjustments regarding off or on?

mon  cardio/rest
tues chest, bi's & tri's
wed  rest
thurs legs
fri     cardio
sat   back and shoulders
sun   rest
i agree that a 3 day split is great .. donīt know about Gear. Never used myself ;D Do you feel better for it? an intresting question.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 03:25:22 AM »
look 5 years younger in the face and feel healthier.... going from a rock hard 18st to a soft 16st is hard to get your head round tho

training wise i was never much much stronger on gear, i just looked better and was much bigger in good condition

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 08:41:37 AM »
Less can be more for a lot of guy's who are not getting the progress they think they should. Cutting a program to 3 (or even 2) day a week can show improvement, because the CNS (the key to steady gains) has a  chance to catch up with the demands put upon it. Might consider it as  form of healing the body and letting it adapt to the future demands put on it.

Working out can be nothing more than manual labor or a process of physical improvement and steady progress. Exercise is pretty simple stuff. General rule, in BB'ing, if nothing seems to happen in gains and your almost dreading the next workout, than cut back, either on exercises, sets or number of workout days. Workouts can be somewhat pleasant and rewarding, actually.  1 or 2 weeks break from exercise can also be a good thing.

Though not knowing how many exercises/sets in you program, it does look solid. For cardio, some prefer a interval style workout, like Tabata, etc.But do whatever you think is best.  Good Luck.
F

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 08:32:05 AM »
regarding sets, will probly be 3 progressive sets... 3 or 4 exersizes big muscle groups, 2 for smaller, such as bi's etc... extra sets leading upto 1st exersize of each day,,, got to look after my poor shoulders and knees

typical set out would be

monday....  3 x 25 leg raise, shoulder rehab work 30 mins cardio

tues...       low inc d/b press, mach press, flat fly.... cable preacher, hammer curl, tri pushdown, overhead  
                cable ext

wed..        rest

thurs..      extensions, leg press, squat/vsquat or trap bar..lying curl, db straight deadlift.. seated and
               standing calf raise

fri..          shoulder rehab, abbs, 30mins cardio

sat..        hamma curl pulldown, bb row, cable row, romanian deads... rear pec deck, side lat, front raise
              seated d/b shrug

sun          rest

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 06:44:36 PM »
Less can be more for a lot of guy's who are not getting the progress they think they should. Cutting a program to 3 (or even 2) day a week can show improvement, because the CNS (the key to steady gains) has a  chance to catch up with the demands put upon it. Might consider it as  form of healing the body and letting it adapt to the future demands put on it.

Working out can be nothing more than manual labor or a process of physical improvement and steady progress. Exercise is pretty simple stuff. General rule, in BB'ing, if nothing seems to happen in gains and your almost dreading the next workout, than cut back, either on exercises, sets or number of workout days. Workouts can be somewhat pleasant and rewarding, actually.  1 or 2 weeks break from exercise can also be a good thing.

Though not knowing how many exercises/sets in you program, it does look solid. For cardio, some prefer a interval style workout, like Tabata, etc.But do whatever you think is best.  Good Luck.

X2...have been cutting workout days from 3 to 2 days (tue&fri but added more volume in training) and felt good,didn't lose strength,size either,in fact just broke my bench record last week....will continue for few weeks more before going back to 3 days..
T

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 05:59:43 AM »
When I think back over my 40 plus years of lifting weights I did make fast progress on a three way split used three times a week. I just burned out quick because I was leaning more towards HIT than volume. I used about 6 work sets a body part. A little higher for thighs. The split looked like this.

Monday: Chest and back
Wednesday: Legs
Friday: Delt and arms

A sample body part would look like this:
Press behind the neck 2 x 6 reps
dumbbell laterals        2 x 10
One arm pulley laterals 1 x10
rear laterals              2 x 10
barbell shrugs            2 x 10

If you are training hard to failure this routine works. There is a lot of over lap involved. Biceps and triceps get hit hard on chest and back day. Legs get hit twice. Once on leg day and on back day when deads/cleans are used. Chest on chest day and on tricep day when dips or close grips are used. I could go on but you get the drift.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 09:59:15 AM »
When I think back over my 40 plus years of lifting weights I did make fast progress on a three way split used three times a week. I just burned out quick because I was leaning more towards HIT than volume. I used about 6 work sets a body part. A little higher for thighs. The split looked like this.

Monday: Chest and back
Wednesday: Legs
Friday: Delt and arms

A sample body part would look like this:
Press behind the neck 2 x 6 reps
dumbbell laterals        2 x 10
One arm pulley laterals 1 x10
rear laterals              2 x 10
barbell shrugs            2 x 10

If you are training hard to failure this routine works. There is a lot of over lap involved. Biceps and triceps get hit hard on chest and back day. Legs get hit twice. Once on leg day and on back day when deads/cleans are used. Chest on chest day and on tricep day when dips or close grips are used. I could go on but you get the drift.
I like this split too.. superseting back and chest...biceps and triceps....tri Setting delts. The overlap is great as you pointed out. I also like the fact if you miss say shoulders and arms it is not so bad because they are partly trained in chest and back.