Author Topic: My New Gym - Brickyard Gym  (Read 50119 times)

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
Re: My New Gym - Brickyard Gym
« Reply #150 on: June 28, 2013, 04:49:58 AM »
Even my bowling buddy is on the wall :D
I love those terracotta walls, place is well decorated!

one of the funniest movies ever made.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: June 28, 2013, 04:52:09 AM »
Really is looking great Slik, you've done a great job in the locker room also (considering this is not your trade I presume)!!! I', bummed (no homo) that I'm across the pond as I'd definitely come and train there buddy

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #152 on: June 28, 2013, 04:58:38 AM »
Really is looking great Slik, you've done a great job in the locker room also (considering this is not your trade I presume)!!! I', bummed (no homo) that I'm across the pond as I'd definitely come and train there buddy
thanks. Yeah not my trade but my dad escaped comm china n came w twenty dollars in his pocket. He taught us everything. He had to learn everything to survive here. No g4pay tho.  Carpentry, building shit etc so it comes in real handy. We're off to a great start. Already vision the expansion. Anyway. I don't want to be an attention whore. Ill wait now for anything real cool to update pix or info.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: June 28, 2013, 05:01:11 AM »
thanks. Yeah not my trade but my dad escaped comm china n came w twenty dollars in his pocket. He taught us everything. He had to learn everything to survive here. No g4pay tho.  Carpentry, building shit etc so it comes in real handy. We're off to a great start. Already vision the expansion. Anyway. I don't want to be an attention whore. Ill wait now for anything real cool to update pix or info.

One thing I will say bro, is that don't limit yourself to a 'comfortable slice of the local gym market'. Why can't your gym be the best 'hardcore' gym ever, why can't slik's gym be remembered alongside the greats in years to come. Sky's the limit bro.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #154 on: June 28, 2013, 09:03:08 AM »
One thing I will say bro, is that don't limit yourself to a 'comfortable slice of the local gym market'. Why can't your gym be the best 'hardcore' gym ever, why can't slik's gym be remembered alongside the greats in years to come. Sky's the limit bro.
Already in the back of my mind but I don't want to get cocky.  Thanks.  Memberships are selling well and like I said just big word of mouth.  No real ads or events yet but that's to come. 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #155 on: June 28, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »
do you have day rates for travelling getbiggers, who might find themselves in that neck of the pa woods?
F

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #156 on: June 28, 2013, 03:17:04 PM »
do you have day rates for travelling getbiggers, who might find themselves in that neck of the pa woods?
a daily's ten bucks. Would love to have u!

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #157 on: June 28, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »
I know u r in to history n u r about 4 hours away.  Wait till I get Big Z up.  He's a worth the trip. One of the coolest things I ever saw.

BigAnt

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • What don't kill me...makes me stronger
« Reply #158 on: June 28, 2013, 09:00:41 PM »
one of the funniest movies ever made.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old school Cybex... love that stuff! With a small foot print, heavy stack because of ratio/placement of pulleys...great equipment.  I have the Cybex Eagle tricep ext machine, bicep preacher machine cable x-over and their plate loaded leg press (same one Dorian has in his Temple gym in England)...in my home-basement gym.

Wishing you the best with your gym, was just up in Morgantown today, Shady Maple.  I am guessing you are up a ways from there> ? !

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2013, 03:28:13 AM »
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old school Cybex... love that stuff! With a small foot print, heavy stack because of ratio/placement of pulleys...great equipment.  I have the Cybex Eagle tricep ext machine, bicep preacher machine cable x-over and their plate loaded leg press (same one Dorian has in his Temple gym in England)...in my home-basement gym.

Wishing you the best with your gym, was just up in Morgantown today, Shady Maple.  I am guessing you are up a ways from there> ? !
i have a ton of stuff at my house n in the barn to. That old cybex stuff is under rated man. Had a guy say its only got a 150 lb stack. I smiled n put the pin in 150 n he couldn't lift it. It's geared, I say geared but I know it not right, heavy.  I have the eagle seated row selectorxed at home from back in the late 80s. That thing kicks ass! Also have two seated military cybex. I still to this day have not found a better military press.
I'm about 1 1/2 from Morgantown but I drive fast so two hours normal driving.  Love their plate loaded leg press but I don't have it. Hoping of expansion n bringing all that n more down. Thanks for your encouragement.

Also if u look close u can see the steel peg I welded otop in case anyone wats to add plates

Oh yeah. One more thing. The way that thing is geared heavy, and the angle of the shoulder rests always put a tremendous amnt of pressure on the shoulder jts. Look in to thinsulite high density foam if u ever have to recover any padding. It's amazing. Thinsulite 1 1/2 inch foam the more pressure u put in it the more it seems to push back. U can get rolls on line pretty cheap. It made the machine so much better too.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2013, 10:11:31 AM »
i have a ton of stuff at my house n in the barn to. That old cybex stuff is under rated man. Had a guy say its only got a 150 lb stack. I smiled n put the pin in 150 n he couldn't lift it. It's geared, I say geared but I know it not right, heavy.  I have the eagle seated row selectorxed at home from back in the late 80s. That thing kicks ass! Also have two seated military cybex. I still to this day have not found a better military press.
I'm about 1 1/2 from Morgantown but I drive fast so two hours normal driving.  Love their plate loaded leg press but I don't have it. Hoping of expansion n bringing all that n more down. Thanks for your encouragement.

Also if u look close u can see the steel peg I welded otop in case anyone wats to add plates

Oh yeah. One more thing. The way that thing is geared heavy, and the angle of the shoulder rests always put a tremendous amnt of pressure on the shoulder jts. Look in to thinsulite high density foam if u ever have to recover any padding. It's amazing. Thinsulite 1 1/2 inch foam the more pressure u put in it the more it seems to push back. U can get rolls on line pretty cheap. It made the machine so much better too.
I remember talking to a cybex rep back in 1993 or so when they brought out the VR2 range and many gyms replaced their old cybex for VR2. He said the backlash from members was huge especially against the vr2 upper body machines.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #161 on: July 13, 2013, 03:34:52 PM »
Got some update pix to post.  In the mean time I wanted to announce that we've added child care to the Brickyard

http://www.brickyardgym.net/Child_Care.html

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #162 on: July 13, 2013, 03:56:54 PM »
You're a Dr?

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2013, 04:06:10 PM »
You're a Dr?
most getbiggers don't think so :D

O.Z.

• Getbig IV
  • Team Swimmers
« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »
well done you did a great job.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2013, 04:34:44 PM »
Thanks guys. Gym is hopping already. I haven't even advertised or anything yet n its getting busy. Great atmosphere. From bb's, high school kids, grandparents. I won't put up with any bad attitudes so I think people know that wen they come in n they respect the place and other members. It's turning out to be a really fun place. Bob Zuver, known as Hoover to some of u haha welded me an exact replica of the Zuver one finger dead lift. U would not believe they frenzy it creates!  I can't believe it.  The members r so competitive and everyone wants on the leader board. Besides that members r loving r cleanliness ( I don't think a serious gym had to be filthy...it's a turn off to the public reality..who wants to step in mildew n grime if u have to shower before work etc)., n they love the equipment. We don't believe the elderly should just do machines either. One if the most common probs w the elderly is they lose proprio n balance. So we show them a lot of free wait stuff too. They love it!  But we have already gotten a bunch of srs lifters n football players etc. it's a lot of fun!

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2013, 08:36:52 PM »
Got some update pix to post.  In the mean time I wanted to announce that we've added child care to the Brickyard

http://www.brickyardgym.net/Child_Care.html

Awesome..lol.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #169 on: July 18, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
http://www.katu.com/news/local/Say-goodbye-to-Portlands-giant-gold-statue-201135911.html?tab=video&c=y

Big Z is rising

That's a cool statue, but it needs a better place. Maybe at the entrance of a gym, inside or outside?

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #170 on: July 18, 2013, 10:50:10 AM »
That's a cool statue, but it needs a better place. Maybe at the entrance of a gym, inside or outside?
thats kinda the plan haha

Can't find my interview anywhere.  There were 3 different news channels there when I picked him up.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2013, 10:41:14 PM »
The Pittsburgh news said they wanted a pic of big Z. They r coming to film his raising Thursday. I thought they just wanted a pic to see how big he was. I rolled outta bed jumped on the platform still in the clothes that I basically slept in. Then I start hearing from everyone I'm on the news. They previewed the spot talking about big Z. The full story runs Friday. He's being erected in front of the gym Thursday. This pic was sent to me by someone tonight I didn't even get to see it live. But KDKA is a our CBS affiliate so this is pretty huge for us.

Wtf?  Y do I have so much trouble uploading pix. That stretched it all out. Now a mod will squish it n make me look punier than I already am lol

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2013, 10:47:39 PM »
Looking diesel brah, sorry to see that you have to deal with your woman setting those wooden words all over the house though.  :D

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2013, 10:52:58 PM »
Looking diesel brah, sorry to see that you have to deal with your woman setting those wooden words all over the house though.  :D
haha. Thanks!  Not bad for a 50 yr old chicken drinker huh? N that's just coming back from a yr off due to shoulder and bicep reattachment surgery then subsequent nerve damage. I'm doing my best.

N I knew someone was gonna comment on the house but its not my house. Someone sent me that pic saying they just saw me on the news.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #174 on: January 26, 2014, 06:17:24 PM »
Haven't given u all an update in a while.  Check out the updated home page.  Gym is kickin ass!

www.brickyardgym.net