Author Topic: Gironda  (Read 4548 times)

BigCypriate

• Getbig IV
  • F****n Peasants!
Gironda
« on: December 22, 2005, 08:29:13 AM »
What's a 'gironda' dip?

would it go well with breadsticks? Or will it increase my chest development?

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: Gironda
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 08:32:13 AM »
he believed in using a V bar for dipping while keeping your body at a certain angle...google it

just a good way of doing dips...i like it and he knows his shit

8)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 09:14:34 AM »
Your going to have to do a search on that one, as Overload suggested, hopfully with  pictues. Gironda was very detailed as to how that dip was to be done. Just like on his idea's on the Scott bench (really Gironda original idea), chin's and sissy squat's (great exercise & stretch...wonder if any one does these anymore?). I think you can still get some of his old manuels, on training, on Ebay.com. Anyway might try a Dogpile, AltaVista or Google search.

If your gym (or you) have a pair of 360 degree handle on a dipping bar or a set of  'V' bars (again suggested by Overload) your in luck. Good Luck.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 10:12:03 AM »
V bar dip is superior, no idea why all dip bars aren't made that way.

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 12:22:24 PM »
Ws he the guy that would kick you out of his gym for squatting?

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 12:58:31 PM »
Ws he the guy that would kick you out of his gym for squatting?

or benching

he called arnold a "fat fuck" the first time he saw him in person.

8)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 01:12:55 PM »
That was funny, arrogant Arnold fully deserved it.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 04:37:22 PM »
i made a thread before about this if i remember correctly it included pictures, make a search
Z

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 05:24:26 PM »
Gironda was a very opinionated man.He was the man that advised ppl. on the use of dessicated liver tablets every 2 hrs.He got something out of body drag curls which I never saw any use for after trying them once.Way ahead of his time for the amount of definition he displayed in his time.Think he was the 1st (or one of the 1st) to display thigh rods when competing in a contest.Man had his own views & opinions on everything concerning bb'ing & wasn't scared to voice his opinion.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 06:05:45 PM »
www.vincegironda.com
www.thewildphysique.com
www.ironguru.com

There's lots of great stuff on these sites about Vince.

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 06:34:27 PM »
I had the pleasure of arguing with him once over the merits of FULL SQUATS of all things..  I did it on purpose , knowing the whole while he was going to chew me a new ass. Absolutely beautiful.  I loved every minute of it.   He called me an idiot among many other things and when he was done I told him I loved him anyway and he laughed out loud and shook my hand and kissed my cheek. 

Brilliant and ahead of his time on soooo many levels.  I'm almost getting choked up. Damn..... :'(

XS

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 03:35:10 AM »
            I read that Vince was against squatting, because he said it would make your ass to big, as well as your hips and waist even. And he would only allow bench press to the neck, to work you upper chest.

And supposedly the first time Arnold went to his gym, he walked up very confidently to Vince and introduced himself saying I am Arnold S....Mr. Universe.   And I guess Vince said all I see is a fat f**k.   This was basically right after Arnold had came to America, and everyone else had been falling all over him, telling him how huge he was. This statement by Vince must have been a rude awakening to Arnold.

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 01:12:18 AM »
He was a crazy, skinny old man who pushed a lot of pseudoscientific theories about training and nutrition. Ordinary dips are just fine.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2005, 02:39:19 AM »
My experience most of his theories still make more sense than other sources. Experiment for yourself in each case.

The V dip bars, like the preacher bench he popularized, are better.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 09:11:48 AM »
He was a crazy, skinny old man who pushed a lot of pseudoscientific theories about training and nutrition. Ordinary dips are just fine.

You're a dumbass.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2005, 09:39:52 AM »
Personal view, no offense intended: I noticed that part of BrainX's E-mail address is AtWarWithTheWeights. After reading some of his present and past post I'm coming to believe he lost that war because of lack of ammunition. Good Luck, you may need it.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2005, 11:14:15 AM »
My very first weightlifting mentor was Doc Duran.  He was a trainer at Vince's Gym back in the 50's and early 60's.  He was something else.  Every kid in the neighborhood went to his house where he had a gym (complete with boxing ring) built in his converted garage.  Everyone had a workout book that Doc would look at everyone every night and see what you did in your workout then write your next days workout.  It was really something when I look back at that.  I started training the summer between my freshman and sophmore year in high school.  That was in 1973. 

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 12:00:52 AM »
anyone have some good pictures of Gironda? there are very few online. As the story goes Vince used to place a lot lower in contests because he was too ripped. I've seen a few pictures of him. A few are impressive but in many he has no arms, legs, or back. I think those are his young pictures. He had a great chest for sure.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 02:09:06 PM »
anyone have some good pictures of Gironda? there are very few online. As the story goes Vince used to place a lot lower in contests because he was too ripped. I've seen a few pictures of him. A few are impressive but in many he has no arms, legs, or back. I think those are his young pictures. He had a great chest for sure.

the links above have a few...

one well known thing about vince is that he was "complete", he built his body to perfection by that era's standards.

there is one thing vince knew very little about...steroids

8)

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 02:48:18 PM »
was vince gay? he looks gay in some pictures.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 04:01:41 PM »
I've been told by some older guy's, who were around the Hollywood/Ventura Blvd/Valley area, that Vince was married 4 or 5 times and really did like the ladies. I think that was one of his problems; so many women, so little time. The Italian lover type and all that I guess. His father, who was a stunt man in the old Hollywood movie days, also had somewhat of a rep with the ladies I heard.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2006, 04:07:45 PM »
well he looks like he could go either way. he looked kinda gay in that picture or just like a latin lover or something.