Author Topic: What do you do to reduce/lessen DOMS....  (Read 9288 times)

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
What do you do to reduce/lessen DOMS....
« on: July 11, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Besides ibuprofen....what do you do to help with delayed onset muscle soreness?

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
Re: What do you do to reduce/lessen DOMS....
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 07:00:41 PM »
I never get debilitating DOMS like i did when i first started lifting weights, even after coming back from a long layoff.

Virgin muscle DOMS is quite simply brutal.

The more you wokrout, the less sore you get, and i find AAS/Carbs/Creatine helps with recovery big time.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:08:35 PM »
I never get debilitating DOMS like i did when i first started lifting weights, even after coming back from a long layoff.

Virgin muscle DOMS is quite simply brutal.

The more you wokrout, the less sore you get, and i find AAS/Carbs/Creatine helps with recovery big time.

Creatine......what's your take on it?

I've started doing heavy legs about a month now, and for 3 days after its just brutal....I'll ladder 7 sets to 750 on sled and down, speed squats 5 sets light weight high rep, leg extension ladder to rack then down, leg curls to 150 and down and finish with farmers walk or deads....once a week.

How long layoff...injury?

Psychopath

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM DIME PIECE TRANNY
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 07:24:55 PM »
Creatine......what's your take on it?

I've started doing heavy legs about a month now, and for 3 days after its just brutal....I'll ladder 7 sets to 750 on sled and down, speed squats 5 sets light weight high rep, leg extension ladder to rack then down, leg curls to 150 and down and finish with farmers walk or deads....once a week.

How long layoff...injury?

First off, your leg workout sounds brutal.

Creatine hydrates your muscle, can significantly increase strength, it does with most people, and it gives you more endurance in the gym.

After i completely came off AAS, i stopped lifting weight for a year straight, just did kickboxing 3x/wk.

Recently starting lifting again, after a few gym sessions, DOMS is almost on existent. 

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 08:45:03 PM »
Might try doing the same exercise than cause soreness in the first place, or one closely like it.

If you did squats for legs, than do light bwt squats the next morning, one or two loose sets of 12-15 reps.  More bwt sets around mid-noon, late afternoon and before bed time. The idea is to increase the blood flow, almost like a flushing action, to the leg area, bring in a fresh supply of healing blood. And allowing the toxic waste  (a byproduct of the hard workout) in the muscle area to be moved out (in so many words) . The morning after that, repeat the light bwt squats during the day and evening.

Or if the chest is hit hard, the next day do very light (slight pumping action) DB benches, throughout the day and night, as suggested above. Try including moderate stretching also, with the lighter exercises and by themselves if you wish. Good Luck.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 09:09:23 PM »
Can't guarantee that this can  work for everyone, nothing does, just passing this on. BB'ers are a very experimental group.

As far a creatine goes, might suggest the ph active Kre-Alkalyn. Been around for a few year, and from what I'm told by lifters and athletes who have used it, very effective for increased strength before a workout and also adding muscular bwt. Good results for older men in their 50's, 60's and beyond.

Kre-Alkalyn doesn't produce the toxic creatinine that creatine  monohydrate does. And is in a more useable breakdown  form. Don't need nearly as much and doesn't give that bloated belly and upset stomach, and the run to the bathroom that some guy experience.

Been suggesting creatine for years, for those who can handle it, to quite a few guy's over the years. But if Kre-Alkalyn adapts better to strength and gaining muscle size, so be it.  Good Luck.
F

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 10:46:17 PM »
I used to HATE the DOMS after lower body sessions. At the beginning of last year I started experimenting with 3 days a week full body type routines. The DOMS went away. At first, lower body was still sore for about two days but nothing like the 3-4 day soreness that I used to get which made walking up the stairs and kneeling down a challenge. Then as I got more used to it, the soreness lasts one day. By the time you are training again after the one day of rest you are good to go.   

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 05:47:32 AM »
I used to HATE the DOMS after lower body sessions. At the beginning of last year I started experimenting with 3 days a week full body type routines. The DOMS went away. At first, lower body was still sore for about two days but nothing like the 3-4 day soreness that I used to get which made walking up the stairs and kneeling down a challenge. Then as I got more used to it, the soreness lasts one day. By the time you are training again after the one day of rest you are good to go.   
Good post...how are you? not seen you much on here in the last while...or have i just missed you? ;D I have also thought about doing a Basic full Body workout for a Change... after stiff deads the other day my lower back was still tired yesterday...i looked like an old man when i bent over...LOL still ya gotta do it... ;)

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
Stick to sets of 3 to 5 reps works well. Id much rather do 3 to 5 sets of 5 reps than one set to failure and not be miserable with soreness all week

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 08:14:23 AM »
Massage also have a strong effect on reducing DOM's, preferred right after a workout and  the day after. Not just for the muscle tissue, but the joints included. Stretching is included in a full massage. If your rich, or on a sports team, massages give a advantage to muscle recovery. Don't want to slow training  because of muscle pain or limited ROM. Hot tubs can help also. The hot to ice tubs, and back again, are to the extreme, not for everyone.

Ibuprofen is OK, but a lot of athletes use Excedrin....your choice....for pain and muscle discomfort. We did Excedrin, from high school to college, to beyond..

Usually a guy who have been working out for awhile doesn't have that much in the way of DOM's, because the body has adapt to stress over time. Might get a bit of pain/discomfort but nothing overwhelming.  Good Luck.
F

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 06:28:29 PM »
Good post...how are you? not seen you much on here in the last while...or have i just missed you? ;D I have also thought about doing a Basic full Body workout for a Change... after stiff deads the other day my lower back was still tired yesterday...i looked like an old man when i bent over...LOL still ya gotta do it... ;)

I am doing good, missed you guys  :). I have been working on solving my shoulder dilemma that I started having in the fall of last year. Going back to the 3 days a week full body workouts, focusing on direct rear delt/upper back work, and doing shoulder mobility work has been a great combination.

AVBG

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 06:35:40 PM »
Hot/cold showers

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 11:44:18 AM »
Hot/cold showers
i have found this too be true or a hot bath.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 12:05:12 PM »
I am doing good, missed you guys  :). I have been working on solving my shoulder dilemma that I started having in the fall of last year. Going back to the 3 days a week full body workouts, focusing on direct rear delt/upper back work, and doing shoulder mobility work has been a great combination.

good to see you back. Post your workout .

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 07:00:26 PM »
Right now it looks like this:
Workout A
Weighted pull ups 3x6
DB shoulder press 3×10
Front Squats 4x8
Upper back rows 3x9-12
Incline crunches 3 sets

Workout B
Incline bench press 3x6
One arm rows 4x10
Reverse lunges 3x8
EZ bar curls 4x6-8
EZ bar tricep extentions 4x8-10

Workout C
Deadlifts 3x6
Weighted dips 4x8
Neutral grip pull ups 3x10
Face pulls 3x9-12
Hanging leg raise 3 sets

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 11:16:11 AM »
train less.

or train more.

(great advice from jpm as always)

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 02:06:38 PM »

rub myself down with dmso at bedtime.
sept 10th APF

sexpert

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 04:34:24 AM »
train less.

or train more.

(great advice from jpm as always)
A matter of opinion

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 04:50:28 PM »
Hmmmmm......my troll sexpert seems to have about the same posting activity in time as my other troll donny does. The 12th and 9th hour most active.  Must be in the same time zone, I guess. Couldn't be the same person.
F

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »
Nuthin' -- except try no to be a little bitch.  lol.  While that's mostly true, what I do that definitely makes me feel less discomfort from DOMS is to get back to the gym and train a different bodypart very hard.  Better to be a little sore all over than super sore in just one bodypart.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 08:05:20 PM »
Brutal DOMS from Wed. Legs just screaming....over trained pyramid squats 9 sets and leg extensions plus pyramid sled to 800 lbs for reps 7 sets...and other assorted fun shit  :-X

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2013, 12:55:45 PM »

Myofascial work with a foam roller pre-workout, and light stretching post-workout help some folks. I also like to ride the stationary bike for 5-10 mins before doing legs. It helps to warm and loosen the area, as well as lubricate the knee-joints with synovial fluid.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 08:37:03 AM »

Myofascial work with a foam roller pre-workout, and light stretching post-workout help some folks. I also like to ride the stationary bike for 5-10 mins before doing legs. It helps to warm and loosen the area, as well as lubricate the knee-joints with synovial fluid.
good advice

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 09:56:24 AM »

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 10:00:57 AM »