Author Topic: Would a prime Tyson dominate the Heavyweight Division Today?  (Read 14942 times)

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
Re: Would a prime Tyson dominate the Heavyweight Division Today?
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2013, 12:40:08 PM »
COme down Maximums tommorow at 730pm and ill crush your bones and eat your brains!

You'd piss your fucking Garanimals if you saw me...

Dickdrainer.  ::)

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2013, 03:39:10 PM »
Please post a pic!

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2013, 04:56:37 PM »
Tyson was a Pitbull.  Nobody has had that kind of animal instinct in the ring since.   His highlight reel of knockouts and beatdowns is legendary.

Cold

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2013, 12:26:16 PM »
MMA is a joke. Same as boxing. Real fighting = biting allowed. Who wants some of dat?

T-REX007

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2013, 03:10:17 PM »
Tyson would dominate TODAY, in the 1970's not so. Foreman, Holmes, Ali, possibly Frazier Norton, Shavers all put Iron Mike down.
Going back to the earlier era's - Liston beats Mike, Marciano beats Mike, Louis beats Mike, I think Dempsey puts Mike down also. NONE of these guys would have feared Mike and were all ferocious. I know some of you guys will jump on me for Marciano, Frazier and Dempsey but they all had what it took to beat Mike- it was possible they could have won .

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2013, 03:47:54 PM »
Tyson would dominate TODAY, in the 1970's not so. Foreman, Holmes, Ali, possibly Frazier Norton, Shavers all put Iron Mike down.
Going back to the earlier era's - Liston beats Mike, Marciano beats Mike, Louis beats Mike, I think Dempsey puts Mike down also. NONE of these guys would have feared Mike and were all ferocious. I know some of you guys will jump on me for Marciano, Frazier and Dempsey but they all had what it took to beat Mike- it was possible they could have won .

Oh brother  ::)  STFU.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2013, 03:55:47 PM »
Prime Tyson would beat any fighter in their prime, Louis...Ali....Marciano. For some of us who remember his fights, there was nothing like that ever...
L

99 Bananas

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2013, 04:11:49 PM »
all the distractions in todays world must have an effect or take it's toll. It's not like Tyson or Ali had to worry about checking facebook. They must have been more focused back then.
wow.

::)

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2013, 04:13:16 PM »
Prime Tyson would beat any fighter in their prime, Louis...Ali....Marciano. For some of us who remember his fights, there was nothing like that ever...

This post is almost as bad as this post by T Rex:

"Tyson would dominate TODAY, in the 1970's not so. Foreman, Holmes, Ali, possibly Frazier Norton, Shavers all put Iron Mike down.
Going back to the earlier era's - Liston beats Mike, Marciano beats Mike, Louis beats Mike, I think Dempsey puts Mike down also. NONE of these guys would have feared Mike and were all ferocious. I know some of you guys will jump on me for Marciano, Frazier and Dempsey but they all had what it took to beat Mike- it was possible they could have won ."

No. A prime Tyson would not beat any fighter in their prime. Nor would Dempsey, Marciano or Frazier beat a prime Tyson.

T-REX007

• Getbig III
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2013, 06:02:18 PM »
WHO did Tyson beat ? an old Holmes? Razor Ruddock? Spinks?
Tyson was exposed as being a GOOD fighter no doubt - but the GOAT in his prime? You must be joking friend. Yeah Marciano had a weak era also, but if you put Mike in the ring with real "killers"-Dempsey. Marciano, Frazier- he can be beaten . Heck, James Toney would have given Mike headaches all night too.

You better bone up on your boxing knowledge friend and be objective in your analysis of fighters. Tyson NEVER WRECKED A GOOD FIGHTER or showed he had heart, that is where he falls short. COULD he have been the GOAT if Cus hadn't died and he had proper handling- maybe

We will never know because as someone else said we can't find a time machine and use it

Just my opinion

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2013, 06:14:46 PM »
Tyson had dynamite in both hands ... most of his fights in his prime didn't make it to the second round..
L

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2013, 06:36:05 PM »
Tyson had dynamite in both hands ... most of his fights in his prime didn't make it to the second round..

Tyson's speed would have made the difference (more than his power ) also don't forget that  guys like  Marciano ,Dempsey .....were  190 lbs soaking wet.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2013, 06:54:54 PM »
WHO did Tyson beat ? an old Holmes? Razor Ruddock? Spinks?
Tyson was exposed as being a GOOD fighter no doubt - but the GOAT in his prime? You must be joking friend. Yeah Marciano had a weak era also, but if you put Mike in the ring with real "killers"-Dempsey. Marciano, Frazier- he can be beaten . Heck, James Toney would have given Mike headaches all night too.

You better bone up on your boxing knowledge friend and be objective in your analysis of fighters. Tyson NEVER WRECKED A GOOD FIGHTER or showed he had heart, that is where he falls short. COULD he have been the GOAT if Cus hadn't died and he had proper handling- maybe

We will never know because as someone else said we can't find a time machine and use it

Just my opinion

OK,  I am not a Tyson nut hugger mostly for the same reasons you mentioned: He never showed the ability to come back from adversity; he was a bully. He peaked early in his career. His skill set deteriorated significantly and many of his fights were won before he even stepped into the ring because of the intimidation factor. However he had alot of strong points and when he was  still hungry he was impressive as hell. My opinion is objective and my boxing knowledge is a sharp as they come.

So here it goes- Marciano and Dempsey both wieghed 180's 190's their opponents were in the 180's and 190's too. Neither on ewas ever in with a guy as big, as fast and as strong as Tyson. Tyson would steamroll both of them. Dempsey benefited from old style boxing gloves, which were really nothing more than leather gloves, very little padding. Most of Dempsey's biggest opponent was Jess Willard who was a BUM and its pretty well known that he used loaded gloves for that fight. He also benefited from old style boxing rules and after he was champ he wouldn't cross the color line, So him fighting Tyson is a moot point. That aside I don't know how many fights you've watched from 1910's 1920's but the skill set was incredibly lacking compared to what we see now.

As far as comparing competition goes, Marciano benefited from beating champs who were all far past their prime.  Not a single one of his best wins came against a prime opponents: Charles, Louis, Walcott. In fact Charles and Walcott both came very close to beating him. Not to mention he was Dropped by Archie Moore. Now outside of Moore, Louis, Walcott and Charles his only other big fight was Roland Lastarza. He was a slower, smaller, weaker version of Tyson and he actually faced weaker competition.

Tyson had trouble with guys bigger than him. Dempsey and Marciano don't qualify neither does smoking Joe. A Smaller, slower weaker version of Tyson. Aside from that Frazier was a one trick pony, he came forward throwing the left hook and if that didn't work he was fucked.

Those guys were all great in their own context, their own times, for their own reasons-just like Tyson

Now Foreman, Ali, Liston yes they would all give Tyson a loads of Trouble.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »
i really care to hear ches opinion on this, before i say mine.

tyson didnt even dominate holyfield, so its bit a dumb term to use

IMHO , Tyson's prison sentence ended his boxing career .

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2013, 07:19:28 PM »
Vitali Klitchko (the older brother for the uninformed) would beat any version of Tyson like a mule.  So no, he most certainly wouldn't dominate today.

RadOncDoc

• Getbig II
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2013, 07:25:50 PM »
Vitali Klitchko (the older brother for the uninformed) would beat any version of Tyson like a mule.  So no, he most certainly wouldn't dominate today.

totally agree. Klitchko, Lewis, and all the other taller champs would have beaten him like a mule. Tyson was extremely overrated, and got the shit beat out of him by Buster Douglas. No way Tyson dominates any era.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2013, 08:48:07 PM »
I'm a Tyson fan but lets face it, he fought a shitload of cans...

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2013, 10:57:33 PM »
Nobody showed up at the location I posted to throw hands.
Where you at dawg I am sending Gerry Cooney out tonight.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2013, 09:18:16 AM »
COULD he have been the GOAT if Cus hadn't died and he had proper handling- maybe

Probably the best point made in this entire thread, we all want to believe that Tyson was the best but he lost his way to a demonic personal life when Cus died. I honestly believe him to be the GOAT but thats just my opinion.

gee38

• Getbig IV
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2013, 09:41:31 AM »
jaejoanna

most of his fights in his prime didnt make it to the second round

thats bullshit

tell me when his 'prime was'?

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2013, 10:39:11 AM »
Head to head prime v prime he beats any mofo ever.

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2013, 10:44:30 AM »
Klitschkos would have to throw lot of jabs to keep Tyson of them.

Otherwise its quick hook combos to body/head = going down like big trees.
all drugs - TPPIIP

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2013, 12:19:33 PM »

Tyson would beat Wladamir. Vitali would stand a good chance of winning.

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2013, 12:26:02 PM »

The young, angry, homicidal, Tyson would fold both Klitschkos with body shots within 2 rounds.

I think you fellas are forgetting how nasty his initial onslaught was in Tyson's earlier fights.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
The young, angry, homicidal, Tyson would fold both Klitschkos with body shots within 2 rounds.

I think you fellas are forgetting how nasty his initial onslaught was in Tyson's earlier fights.

Was Tyson better earlier or was his competition easier earlier. Klitschkos are quality heavy's Vitali more so than Wladamir, who is over rated IMHO. Vitali is big enough, strong enough and tough enough to give anyone a hard time. I doubt he would double over in two rounds.