Author Topic: pullovers  (Read 5368 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
pullovers
« on: July 18, 2013, 11:28:04 PM »
I've always done pullovers with my arms slightly bent, maybe like 150 degrees...  I do an overhand grip just slightly narrower than shoulder width.  I lower the weight as far back as I can to stretch lats pretty good, and then I only bring the bar back up slightly past my head because beyond that it's coming back down towards my body and I lose tension on the muscles I'm targeting.

Is that wrong?

I don't feel like that's how other people do them?

SORRY... Can someone please put this on the training board?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
Re: pullovers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 11:33:37 PM »
This is basically how I do them, but I like to lay on the bench.

Why do people bring the weight past the half way point where your lats completely lose tension?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 09:49:42 AM »
 I use straighter arms and a dumbbell. I feel it better and i only bring the Dumbbell to about the Point where you would lower a bar for bench press, also try a decline bench which hits the lats harder.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 03:00:50 PM »
I use straighter arms and a dumbbell. I feel it better and i only bring the Dumbbell to about the Point where you would lower a bar for bench press, also try a decline bench which hits the lats harder.

Okay, cool!  I'll give it a shot.

I just wondered if there was some reason people bring the bar so far?  In The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding Arnold says to bring the bar all the way down to your lower chest.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 03:32:05 PM »
Okay, cool!  I'll give it a shot.

I just wondered if there was some reason people bring the bar so far?  In The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding Arnold says to bring the bar all the way down to your lower chest.
Decline bench...trust me it hits your lats

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 08:34:10 AM »
P.I.P.

I guess you mean a bent arm pullover, by the video you included. The elbows are usually at a 90 degree angle at the full stretch position. As with any pullover, straight arm or bent, the full stretch is very important. With the bent arm version it's kind of hard to stop about head level, but if that works for you, great. With the straight arm version, that is the usual stopping point, than lowered back down again for the stretch.

Some guy's will use DB's, rather than a BB, with the bent arms because it can give less stress on the wrist, elbows and even the shoulder. A swing bell also works well with the straight arm version (elbows slightly bent). Decline pullovers can be very good. You might make sure the bottom position of the decline bench is high enough above the floor to allow a full stretch.

One of my favorite exercises is the bent arm pullover and press. A mass builder for the upper body, which hit the lats, pecs, triceps, delts and even the Abs. Can work up to some impressive weight in this movement.

Just to note: the Ab Roller (an exceptional tool for working the complete ab wall) may be considered a form of the straight arm pullover, but facing down  (pull under?).  Front lat pull downs also hit the lats very well, from the bent over to standing position.   The standing position will not give the full behind the head stretch that regular straight arm pullovers will.  Good Luck.
F

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:33:19 AM »
Same here.

I always had better results from using the machines for pullovers.  I've been doing them for years and always get good results from them.  I've used a DB many times and i just don't get the same feeling.  With the machine i can focus on driving the weight down with my elbows.

Pullovers are an overlooked exercise that i rarely see people doing these days. 

8)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 11:01:12 AM »
 :)on york chart see ex 4.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 11:07:09 AM »
I've always done pullovers with my arms slightly bent, maybe like 150 degrees...  I do an overhand grip just slightly narrower than shoulder width.  I lower the weight as far back as I can to stretch lats pretty good, and then I only bring the bar back up slightly past my head because beyond that it's coming back down towards my body and I lose tension on the muscles I'm targeting.

Is that wrong?

I don't feel like that's how other people do them?

SORRY... Can someone please put this on the training board?

do different variations of the move and see what works best for you , use a dumbell, and ez curl bar, reg straight bar, a kettlebell, a swingbell.try different arm angles bent as well as straight adjust weight accordingly.
F

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
P.I.P.

I guess you mean a bent arm pullover, by the video you included. The elbows are usually at a 90 degree angle at the full stretch position. As with any pullover, straight arm or bent, the full stretch is very important. With the bent arm version it's kind of hard to stop about head level, but if that works for you, great. With the straight arm version, that is the usual stopping point, than lowered back down again for the stretch.

Some guy's will use DB's, rather than a BB, with the bent arms because it can give less stress on the wrist, elbows and even the shoulder. A swing bell also works well with the straight arm version (elbows slightly bent). Decline pullovers can be very good. You might make sure the bottom position of the decline bench is high enough above the floor to allow a full stretch.

One of my favorite exercises is the bent arm pullover and press. A mass builder for the upper body, which hit the lats, pecs, triceps, delts and even the Abs. Can work up to some impressive weight in this movement.

Just to note: the Ab Roller (an exceptional tool for working the complete ab wall) may be considered a form of the straight arm pullover, but facing down  (pull under?).  Front lat pull downs also hit the lats very well, from the bent over to standing position.   The standing position will not give the full behind the head stretch that regular straight arm pullovers will.  Good Luck.

Thank you, I appreciate the input!! I think I'm liking them more with straight arms. 

he brother, pullovers is very good execise, make sue off couple things.

imo the machines the nautilus style is best, its almost impossible to do anything wnong on that one.

now, i do it with rope on cable, make sure to pull the shoulders as fgar back as possible and hold your arms locked at all times all the way down.

i find the one version of laying on bench like the guy in video to be idiotic, same rom and effectiveness isnt possible that way.

Oh yeah, my old gym had one of the old Nautilus machines with the chains, and foot lever to bring the handles down.  That was honestly my favorite exercise ever.  My new gym doesn't have one though.  :(  I've never done them with cables, I'm going to give that a shot.

:)on york chart see ex 4.

Thanks!

do different variations of the move and see what works best for you , use a dumbell, and ez curl bar, reg straight bar, a kettlebell, a swingbell.try different arm angles bent as well as straight adjust weight accordingly.

Cool, I'm going to work on that.  I've done dumbbell, barbell, and ezcurl but I've never tried kettlebell or swingbell and I've never tried decline or cables or anything.

I have been working on pullovers the way I originally did them for a while and it really seems to be bringing my upper body up all of a sudden.

Kilo Medic

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 05:44:19 PM »
One of my co-workers believes that the nautilus version works the pecs as well.  I cannot figure out how they would be impacted at all?

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 09:48:53 AM »
I'll take Dorian's pullover machine anyday....