Author Topic: ab shape  (Read 8817 times)

coltrane

• Getbig IV
ab shape
« on: July 24, 2013, 08:19:52 AM »
Fellas:  recently lost a bunch of weight and have been hitting abs quite a bit.  About 5 days a week. 

In the beginning my abs looked great.  Each "ab" had it's own shape. 

Now, after a few months of training them, they seem to be "fusing" together into one big ab muscle.  In other words, it seems like they're losing their own shape (each "ab").

Is this from over training perhaps?  Am I explaining my situation clearly enough?

Thanks!

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: ab shape
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:18:58 AM »
Are you getting fat?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 09:40:44 AM »
 :)that's  one big ab. ::)
F

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 10:22:26 AM »
Are you getting fat?

No.  My bf is still low.  It just seems like the shape of each ab is becoming less visible...  LIke the abs are fusing together. It's the only way I can put it. 

Just wondering if i'm doing TOO much ab work.  I do quite a bit..

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 11:22:47 AM »
Might suggest treating the ab like any other muscle group. The ab structure is very strong (but not large) by nature and doing marathon workouts, almost daily, like a lot of people do may not be that advisable.

Three times a week, or even two, may be a better options. Keeping the reps between 8-12 and 4 to 6 sets total for the ab muscle structure can be better. Thick ab's can be very impressive, as long as the body fat ratio is kept to a respectable level. If your ab's have the fusing together look, than their muscle mass is probably breaking down and not building up.

If your gym has a real Roman Chair (like the old, old timers used back in the day), and used the correct way, than that can be one of the better mid-section exercises around. You can also use heavier weight with most any ab work, so feel free to dso that, for more defined ab's.  Good Luck.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
also  try flexing them doing the rope movement. this was a favorite of chuck sipes.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 11:53:28 AM »
 :)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 12:00:39 PM »
 :)
F

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 04:57:12 PM »
No.  My bf is still low.  It just seems like the shape of each ab is becoming less visible...  LIke the abs are fusing together. It's the only way I can put it. 

Just wondering if i'm doing TOO much ab work.  I do quite a bit..
twice a week is more than enough for abs...

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »
Treat them like any other bodypart.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 05:00:48 PM »
Perfect Funk51.

Thanks for mentioning the rope. Great exercise and great muscle control. Single ropes, and making the ab's rock & roll, are very impressive, also. Zero guy's do that kind of stuff now days, too bad. Thanks again.
F

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 04:52:39 AM »
you cant change the individual shape of your abbs, you get what your born with so you must be getting slightly heavier.. abbs are a muscle group where once your lean they dont need tons of work to maintain, you work them hard indirectly every single workout

twice/ three times a week at the most

jpm...i noticed you talking about the abb wheel in another thread, do those things really work?

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 07:13:46 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. 

Reading all comments, my thoughts are that I overwork them and perhaps they're just always in a state of the muscle tissue being broken down. 

I'm going to take JPM's suggestion and hit 3-4 sets of 15 or so on the Roman Chair, which I never use.  3 times a week.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 08:58:07 AM »
Local Hero

Ab Wheels may look like a toy, but can be extremely effected in working the lower and upper Ab wall at the same time. Even hitting the oblique's to a lesser degree. With the Ab Wheel you are doing a leverage/extension movement, allowing a whole different affect on the abs.

If new to these, start using one on a smooth floor. Want added resistance, than use on a carpet or rough surface. Raising the feet on a bench, chair,etc also adds resistance. Advance users start from a standing, bent over position.

Pretty much the same result with the basic model (around 5 bucks...Wal-Mart, Target, etc) to the super duper 4 wheel models. Though some four wheel models are better balanced, smoother and allow more of a oblique direction. Good Luck
F

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 09:32:30 AM »
you cant change the individual shape of your abbs, you get what your born with so you must be getting slightly heavier.. abbs are a muscle group where once your lean they dont need tons of work to maintain, you work them hard indirectly every single workout

twice/ three times a week at the most

jpm...i noticed you talking about the abb wheel in another thread, do those things really work?
Ab wheels really work! I lold first time my buddy got me to try it but I could only get 5 reps each set and the entire ab wall was sore for days.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 12:08:16 PM »
Awesome info on this site.  Thanks guys!

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 08:16:54 AM »
Local Hero

Ab Wheels may look like a toy, but can be extremely effected in working the lower and upper Ab wall at the same time. Even hitting the oblique's to a lesser degree. With the Ab Wheel you are doing a leverage/extension movement, allowing a whole different affect on the abs.

If new to these, start using one on a smooth floor. Want added resistance, than use on a carpet or rough surface. Raising the feet on a bench, chair,etc also adds resistance. Advance users start from a standing, bent over position.

Pretty much the same result with the basic model (around 5 bucks...Wal-Mart, Target, etc) to the super duper 4 wheel models. Though some four wheel models are better balanced, smoother and allow more of a oblique direction. Good Luck
the ab wheel was said to be  responsible for shaquille o'neal slimming down from 380 plus pounds to 320 to make one last run at a ring with miami.[near the end of his career
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 09:11:52 AM »
what a load of rubbish. Look at the function of the Abdominals. the main functions are , rolling the pelvis to the rib Cage or rolling your chest to the pelvis. You will feel an isometric contraction like a sit up but the real work is not concentrated on your Abdominals. With the "Ab Wheel".

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 06:07:41 PM »
what a load of rubbish. Look at the function of the Abdominals. the main functions are , rolling the pelvis to the rib Cage or rolling your chest to the pelvis. You will feel an isometric contraction like a sit up but the real work is not concentrated on your Abdominals. With the "Ab Wheel".
Have you ever used an ab wheel?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
Ab Rollers target the full ab wall in a superior way. Planks are another movement that may look non productive, where abs are concerned, but are also very effective. Only have to try a few reps with the Ab Roller to understand the benefit. This semi-stabilization exercise recruits the abs powerfully. If you can reach the advance point of doing Ab Roller reps from a standing position, than you are doing a form of  "Jack knifes", a movement that hits the low and upper abs in the same motion.

Guess some don't quite understand that there is much more to a muscle function  than just adduction/abduction. If getting most of there information from magazines and YouTybe video's, rather than hands on serious gym experience, then their knowledge will be seriously lacking. Too bad. Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 03:25:21 AM »
Ab Rollers target the full ab wall in a superior way. Planks are another movement that may look non productive, where abs are concerned, but are also very effective. Only have to try a few reps with the Ab Roller to understand the benefit. This semi-stabilization exercise recruits the abs powerfully. If you can reach the advance point of doing Ab Roller reps from a standing position, than you are doing a form of  "Jack knifes", a movement that hits the low and upper abs in the same motion.

Guess some don't quite understand that there is much more to a muscle function  than just adduction/abduction. If getting most of there information from magazines and YouTybe video's, rather than hands on serious gym experience, then their knowledge will be seriously lacking. Too bad. Good Luck.
your "advice" is like toothpaste...Comes out a tube.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 04:21:04 AM »
a very simple and easy to understand article .. even "Internet Experts" will grasp that Ab exercise that are true abdominal movement are spinal flexation...not being used isometrically as stabilizers and "core" exercises.The Rectus abdominus contracts and shortens during spinal flexation...that is , when the spine rolls Forward(chest rolling to hips or vice versa) the ab wheel feels hard but the abdominals are by and large in a lengthened Position. a lot of hip flexation ... think of the lower back and abs as antagonistic muscles...as one shortens the other lengthens..
http://www.livestrong.com/article/546971-ab-wheel-vs-crunch/

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 08:22:33 AM »
Hmmmm...I might suggest that your advise is like shit and comes out of your ass.  And the stink is just as strong.

If afraid to use a Ab Roller, I think we will all understand. You tend to be a bit delicate when it comes to serious exercise, and we don't want you to get a ouchie. It's good that your still using those plastic BB's & DB's...suits your style.   Good Luck.
F

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 08:32:20 AM »
Hmmmm...I might suggest that your advise is like shit and comes out of your ass.  And the stink is just as strong.

If afraid to use a Ab Roller, I think we will all understand. You tend to be a bit delicate when it comes to serious exercise, and we don't want you to get a ouchie. It's good that your still using those plastic BB's & DB's...suits your style.   Good Luck.
hopefully you will be banned very soon....

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 08:42:29 AM »
Wet Willie......keep your hopes up, that's the only thing you have left, from reading your past post.

Probable a good idea to go over and wake your bed partner up, time for him to get up.

Good Luck.
F