Author Topic: Tyson V Foreman  (Read 8129 times)

the Algebra Wizard

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Tyson V Foreman
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 04:34:22 AM »
Ha, you don't hear about that brawl as much anymore -

Epic !!!
classic Holmes !!!

any chance for a Marmalade video ???

Kilo Medic

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 04:52:51 AM »

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/foreman_tyson_fl.html

...Bobby Goodman. At the time, Goodman was, and still is, Don King's matchmaker. I've known Benton for many years, through him I met Duva, and was introduced to Goodman a couple weeks before Tyson fought Larry Holmes at the Convention Center in Atlantic City in January 1988.

While we were eating, Benton said, "Bobby, what's up with Foreman and Tyson, how come they're not fighting each other on the 16th? Isn't that the fight that King was trying to make?" He said, "Georgie, You'll never believe this but, Fuckin' Tyson is scared shit less of Foreman and wants no part of him. I was there when Don was trying to make the fight. He was telling Tyson that Foreman represented huge money, plus he was old and slow and would be no problem. Tyson got up and screamed at King saying, 'I'm not fight in' that Fuckin' animal, if you love the guy so much, you fight him!'"

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2013, 05:58:02 AM »
I forgot about the time he fought Buster Mathis, who was one of the most slippery mofos ever to step in the ring.  I think Mathis took him four rounds, at a time when Tyson's average fight had probably been about 90 seconds.

You're talking about Mathis Jr. His father was no slouch either; lost only to Frazier, Ali, Quarry and Lyle. Lyle was a hard-hitting MF, just like Ernie Shavers. Lyle/Foreman was crazy.

gee38

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 06:58:07 AM »
my money would be on foreman

tyson fought on intimidation and struggled against fighters who weren't afraid.

earnie shavers used to work on the door at yates's in Liverpool up until a couple of years ago- no idea if he still does

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 07:07:39 AM »
my money would be on foreman

tyson fought on intimidation and struggled against fighters who weren't afraid.

earnie shavers used to work on the door at yates's in Liverpool up until a couple of years ago- no idea if he still does

Exactly,

This is why I would always have my money on a 60's Ali against Mike, boxing skills/chin strength aside - Ali would destroy Mike's mind in the lead up to the fight so bad that Tyson would literally be looking for single bombs every round until he tires out.

Mike's biggest weakness was his mental game, which is why he slowly declined from 88 onwards.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 07:27:03 AM »
Exactly,

This is why I would always have my money on a 60's Ali against Mike, boxing skills/chin strength aside - Ali would destroy Mike's mind in the lead up to the fight so bad that Tyson would literally be looking for single bombs every round until he tires out.

Mike's biggest weakness was his mental game, which is why he slowly declined from 88 onwards.

Tyson needed to be fostered. First by Cus then by Rooney. Once he had a crowd of ass-lickers and gold digger w.....riding on his coattails, he went down in flames and made one bad decision after another.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 07:32:40 AM »
Tyson needed to be fostered. First by Cus then by Rooney. Once he had a crowd of ass-lickers and gold digger w.....riding on his coattails, he went down in flames and made one bad decision after another.

Big shame!!!

Mike didn't just have power, if he would have stayed under good mentorship for another 10 years he would be remembered for being an outstanding BOXER all round. He had amazing head movement, always put the angle of his body behind his hooks, good footwork, kept his hands up when needed etc etc, a GREAT all round boxer until the devil layed hands on a fine young man.

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 07:52:20 AM »
Buster Douglas wasn't scared of Tyson when he went into ring with him, maybe because his mom had died shortly before the fight and he was preoccupied with grief. So he was able to carefully measure his advantageous, extra-long jabs to quickly take Tyson off his game.

Foreman could have theoretically done that, too, times ten. I think Foreman has something like an 81" span, and hell yes he could punch like a motherfcker. His jabs were like punches from most heavies. He punched at least as hard as Tyson, and given his larger size, maybe harder. Even at Tyson's best, he would have taken a huge risk trying to use his strategy of immediately running inside. I wonder how he would have been trained for that fight.

When Foreman made his comeback, Tyson's people wouldn't give him a fight.

All true but IIRC Buster Douglas benefitted from a slow count when he was knocked down.

I'm in the Foreman camp. If Tyson doesn't knock him out early he'd get scared and lose.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 10:44:05 AM »

Epic !!!
classic Holmes !!!

any chance for a Marmalade video ???

And just because everyone needs a little devastating chicken -

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 10:48:22 AM »

I dont get how people pull Foreman Frazier out of there asses. Tyson was bigger, stronger a hell of a lot faster than Frazier. Slow Foreman wouldnt land and Tyson would swarm him. Tyson KO 5
what about foreman vs larry holmes which never happened but should have. tyson actually fought an old holmes. just like holmes battered an old muhammed ali.
F

the Algebra Wizard

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 11:27:49 AM »

And just because everyone needs a little devastating chicken -

Great Find  ... Thanks for doing it !!

Submissionfytr

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 03:03:28 PM »
Tyson's foot speed and head movement baffle big George, he breaks all of his ribs, in route to a KO stoppage by hook or uppercut.

the Algebra Wizard

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »
what about foreman vs larry holmes which never happened but should have. tyson actually fought an old holmes. just like holmes battered an old muhammed ali.

Ya .... What ever happened with that ...  they spoke on it as if it was in the works ..

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2013, 03:34:31 PM »
Look at how much abuse Foreman took from Lyle, Lyle was at least as strong a puncher as Tyson, and a very aggressive fighter -

Also look at how Foreman handled Frazier -

Physically Frazier is closer to Tyson. They were also good fighters on the swarm, Frazier was busier on the inside, Tyson more powerful and intimidating. Look at how Foreman's height, reach, and power neutralizes it pretty decently.

Heck old George could've put on a decent show too, against a Don King era Tyson. He had a good showing against a prime Holyfield, and Holyfield gave Tyson problems.