Author Topic: How long do you stay on a workout routine?  (Read 2176 times)

nosbp2

• Getbig III
How long do you stay on a workout routine?
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:58:39 PM »
I've been changing from month to month or a month and half at max..

is it better if you switch the order of exercises to avoid adaptation?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: How long do you stay on a workout routine?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 06:02:04 PM »
I follow a different routine each workout. The changes aren't drastic; I change the order of exercises, or use some in place of others. But, no two workouts are ever the same for me.

As far as training programs, I'll stick with a specific one until my results stagnate, or I become too sore. For example, I spent most of this summer beginning each of my workouts with 5x5 of a big compound lift followed by higher rep ancillary work. I gained some size and a good deal of strength, but muscles and tendons in my shoulders and elbow began bothering me.

So, I've switched to using German Volume Training for a while. This program uses 10 sets of 10 reps with the same weight on all sets. The concept is cumulative overload, rather than relying on raw weight. The poundages I'm using are now much lighter than before, but that "light" weight feels damn heavy by the time you get to about the seventh set!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 05:13:41 AM »
until it stops working.  Or until my schedule doesn't allow for that much volume anymore :(

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 09:39:37 AM »
Takes around 2 or 3 weeks to work into a new training program. Getting the proper pacing of the workout, weight used, style adjustments, etc..  And just as important, the mental approach to it. If not feeling comfortable with it after a few workouts, than drop the new routine.

Finding a program that seems to fit your needs, for the moment, than would suggest staying on it (feel free to make a few minor adjustments in exercise performance) for at least 6 to 8 weeks...12 weeks max. Try not staying on any given routine too long, else that routine becomes more of a habit than something that gives steady progress. See way too many guy's doing the same style workouts for years and pretty much looking the same and using the same weights, not gaining much in strength either.  Good Luck
F

Big Daddy Caine

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 02:04:07 PM »
Usually I go a couple of weeks to at least 2 months, but during that time, I'm using different rep schemes, movements and so forth. So while I might be doing a certain routine, I have numerous variations of it.

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 03:07:32 PM »
Takes around 2 or 3 weeks to work into a new training program. Getting the proper pacing of the workout, weight used, style adjustments, etc..  And just as important, the mental approach to it. If not feeling comfortable with it after a few workouts, than drop the new routine.

Finding a program that seems to fit your needs, for the moment, than would suggest staying on it (feel free to make a few minor adjustments in exercise performance) for at least 6 to 8 weeks...12 weeks max. Try not staying on any given routine too long, else that routine becomes more of a habit than something that gives steady progress. See way too many guy's doing the same style workouts for years and pretty much looking the same and using the same weights, not gaining much in strength either.  Good Luck

Excellent advice. Vary your training but when you do a routine give it time to work.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 01:34:12 AM »
I dont like to change to often, wasted around 6 months of this year fucking around with training and trying to prosper on bodybuilding style routines that have never agreed with me and at the end of the six or so months was weaker than when i started.

Now i stick to the same routine but alternate a month of sets of 5 and a month of sets of 3. Then cut back weights a little and repeat.

Change is good but too much can be counterproductive.