Author Topic: Wrestling Deaths  (Read 6571 times)

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
Wrestling Deaths
« on: August 18, 2013, 07:05:29 AM »
Which wrestling death shocked you or hurt the most?

Owen was shocking given the circumstances same with Benoit.

For me it was Eddie G, and Mr. Perfect.

But all the guys that died in their 40's and 50's were pretty much shocking but some didn't surprise me.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Wrestling Deaths
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 07:34:25 AM »

But all the guys that died in their 40's and 50's were pretty much shocking but some didn't surprise me.

Hennig was and is my favorite. When he passed, I was about as saddened as a person could be over the loss of someone they've never personally met/known.

Well...except for the people who filled the streets shedding tears and having anxiety attacks when Michael Jackson died; but, those people aren't right in the head.

Savage was another shocker. I'd always pegged him for someone who worked very hard, saved his money, and got out before the business physically or proverbially killed him.

Candido struck a bit closer to home. I'd seen him and Tammy backstage maybe eight months before he passed. It seemed like he'd really gotten his shit together and was back on track with life. It was almost ironic that he died after getting away from the drugs and hard partying.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 07:56:57 AM »

Hennig was and is my favorite. When he passed, I was about as saddened as a person could be over the loss of someone they've never personally met/known.

Well...except for the people who filled the streets shedding tears and having anxiety attacks when Michael Jackson died; but, those people aren't right in the head.

Savage was another shocker. I'd always pegged him for someone who worked very hard, saved his money, and got out before the business physically or proverbially killed him.

Candido struck a bit closer to home. I'd seen him and Tammy backstage maybe eight months before he passed. It seemed like he'd really gotten his shit together and was back on track with life. It was almost ironic that he died after getting away from the drugs and hard partying.

Candido shocked the hell out of me. He and Tammy did an autograph show with my dad the week before. They were really nice people. She's bat shit crazy now.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 08:46:23 AM »
Eddie and Benoit for me.  The Benoit one was the worst, as nobody knew what had happened at first, and the story slowly emerged over several days.  I still don't get how someone can do that to their own family.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 08:58:04 AM »
Eddie and Benoit for me.  The Benoit one was the worst, as nobody knew what had happened at first, and the story slowly emerged over several days.  I still don't get how someone can do that to their own family.

Ever since i began watching him in about 1990, i thought to myself that the constant headbutts from the top would cause some form of brain damage because he never cushioned them. And that was as a 9 year old kid! Ultimately theres no ignoring what happened, but regardless of your opinions on the man you have to factor in the years of abuse he sustained to his head when trying to rationalise what he did. There is no way i will ever believe he was in full control of himself, never.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 10:00:30 AM »
Benoit was probably the biggest black mark on Vince's company, and the industry as a whole. The slow unraveling of the story was increasingly tragic and shocking.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 01:13:29 PM »
I was watching the Owen ppv live. Just a shocker.

I was very young but when I heard about David Von Erich and Gino Hernandez through the mags I was stunned.  I thought wrestlers were superhuman at that time. 

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 03:24:22 AM »
I think Owen was the toughest. I was in high school and remember being bummed so were my classmates. Usually when a celeb dies its like meh I didn't know em, but Owen was different. I think my mother cried watching raw the next day. It was real emotional watching Jeff Jarrett wrestle on RAW. 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 04:52:15 AM »
The saddest part about Owen is that nothing was his fault. You can look at most deaths and attribute them to poor choices like drugs, etc. Owen was as clean as a whistle. And, not only was his death NOT his fault, but it may have been the result of someone else's negligence and was preventable.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 08:45:42 AM »
I was watching the Owen ppv live. Just a shocker.

I was very young but when I heard about David Von Erich and Gino Hernandez through the mags I was stunned.  I thought wrestlers were superhuman at that time. 

I wonder who paid for that one. ??? ??? ???

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »
To me it was the von erichs
 :'(
just sad to see them all die thru out the 80' s and early 90's
Went to a wrestling show that Chris von erich was on.. good wrestler..
did not have the size like his brothers but still did a great job exciting the crowd..
cant remember who he fought   ???
a month later I saw on the news he had killed himself...

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 05:47:09 PM »

I give up...who?

;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 05:50:32 PM »
did not have the size like his brothers but still did a great job exciting the crowd..

Some people have speculated that the brothers were so competitive that they tried to outdo each other even in death. Take that notion for,what it's worth.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 05:52:06 PM »

I was sad when the news broke of your Dad's passing. I immediately thought of you and wondered how you and your family were doing.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 07:26:34 PM »

Probably TB.   ;D

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 10:48:57 AM »

I was sad when the news broke of your Dad's passing. I immediately thought of you and wondered how you and your family were doing.

Thanks that means a lot.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 12:13:37 PM »

I give up...who?

;D

Inside joke.  Stoppa didn't see much value in working back then (still doesn't) so I always ended up with the bar bills, and all the PPVs.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 05:24:12 PM »
Inside joke.  Stoppa didn't see much value in working back then (still doesn't) so I always ended up with the bar bills, and all the PPVs.

Yes, your question seemed rhetorical.

S is indeed wise!

8)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 12:12:59 PM »

When is the last real job you held, stud?   Teaching golf, shooting pool and drinking don't count so most likely Winn Dixie.   ;D

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 11:14:27 PM »

Yeah especially David Von Erich..

By late 1983 that guy was really starting to peak. Fritz knew what he was doing with David by sending him to Missouri, Florida, Japan for seasoning. One hell of a match with Ric Flair on Christmas Day 1983 I believe. He was already there at that point...he was a force to be reckoned with in regards to the top honor NWA heavyweight belt. Yeah, Kerry came in and held the strap for a few days but he was never David. Size, ring psychology, mic skills, Von Erich name and genetics. The heir apparent to Fritz. What a loss that was to the wrestling community. I think alot about what he could have become over the next ten years. Especially the 4 horseman vs. von erich feud that was destined to take place with the fall of WCCW and the rise of WCW vs. WWF.

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 08:27:02 AM »
Great points...

Never got a chance to see David wrestle on a live event..

I gotta a chance to see the rest of the von erich wrestle ...

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 10:26:34 AM »
Yeah especially David Von Erich..

By late 1983 that guy was really starting to peak. Fritz knew what he was doing with David by sending him to Missouri, Florida, Japan for seasoning. One hell of a match with Ric Flair on Christmas Day 1983 I believe. He was already there at that point...he was a force to be reckoned with in regards to the top honor NWA heavyweight belt. Yeah, Kerry came in and held the strap for a few days but he was never David. Size, ring psychology, mic skills, Von Erich name and genetics. The heir apparent to Fritz. What a loss that was to the wrestling community. I think alot about what he could have become over the next ten years. Especially the 4 horseman vs. von erich feud that was destined to take place with the fall of WCCW and the rise of WCW vs. WWF.

David would have actually been a good fit to join the Horsemen.  He was a much better tweener/heel in Florida.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 06:05:15 PM »
When is the last real job you held, stud?   Teaching golf, shooting pool and drinking don't count so most likely Winn Dixie.   ;D

lol

w-d is long gone from greensboro    do they exist anywhere?
~

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 04:27:36 AM »
lol

w-d is long gone from greensboro    do they exist anywhere?

I havent seen one in awhile. They have a Piggly Wiggly in Siler City for sure. 

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 05:01:23 AM »
I havent seen one in awhile. They have a Piggly Wiggly in Siler City for sure. 

It would be bad enough to have to work at a grocery store, but can you imagine writing "Piggly Wiggly" in the "employer" section of a loan application or adding it to a resume?  Or trying to lay your game on some bar chick with your "Piggly Wiggly" name tag still on your shirt because you forgot to take it off when you left the store?

~