Author Topic: The personal trainer position is such a joke...  (Read 10303 times)

luvvsuNOT

• Getbig III
Re: The personal trainer position is such a joke...
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2013, 09:08:42 PM »
You're right, I should have clarified that. I meant as far as post physical therapy rehab (passive) in things like CL repairs and reconstruction, rotator cuff, low back, etc. I'm not suggesting any trainer can do this but good trainers that specialize in say, athletes ;D can do just as well and sometimes more.

We have a Orthopedic surgeon that we get referrals from almost weekly on things like this. But do work with physical therapists as well in house. As an example. I have a kid, 22. Went to Vegas for the weekend, got blind drunk then slept in one position for 14-15 hrs straight. Arm went numb all the way down to his finger tips. His Ortho diagnosed it as "Saturday Night Syndrom" (Radial Nerve Dysfunction), Dr. wrote his a prescription for physical therapy. Goes to PT, she says she does not want him lifting ANY WEIGHTS, including legs for a period of six months. Right away that set of a bell of bullshit.

I am no position to be diagnosing or giving a second opinion, so I had someone do it for me. He's a trainer, strength and conditioning coach (former head of the Philadelphia 76'  and a Dr. of PT. I emailed the report to him and suggested the recovery time should be 6-12 weeks. Through different modalities and progressions of our own protocols, he's about 90% recovered. Point is, the orginal PT wanted him doing NOTHING, come to them 2x per week and the protocol was next to nothing. He did farmers walks today with fat grips with 55lb DB's for 30 yards.

Shit! Just sleeping in the wrong position can cause that much damage?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2013, 09:18:24 PM »
Shit! Just sleeping in the wrong position can cause that much damage?

Have you ever slept in a position to where your arm or hand goes numb for a short period of time when say, taking a nap? or not changing positions while sleeping. You usually can just wake up and shake your arm a few times and you're good...not in these cases.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000790.htm

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2013, 09:22:02 PM »
You're right, I should have clarified that. I meant as far as post physical therapy rehab (passive) in things like CL repairs and reconstruction, rotator cuff, low back, etc. I'm not suggesting any trainer can do this but good trainers that specialize in say, athletes ;D can do just as well and sometimes more.

We have a Orthopedic surgeon that we get referrals from almost weekly on things like this. But do work with physical therapists as well in house. As an example. I have a kid, 22. Went to Vegas for the weekend, got blind drunk then slept in one position for 14-15 hrs straight. Arm went numb all the way down to his finger tips. His Ortho diagnosed it as "Saturday Night Syndrom" (Radial Nerve Dysfunction), Dr. wrote his a prescription for physical therapy. Goes to PT, she says she does not want him lifting ANY WEIGHTS, including legs for a period of six months. Right away that set of a bell of bullshit.

I am no position to be diagnosing or giving a second opinion, so I had someone do it for me. He's a trainer, strength and conditioning coach (former head of the Philadelphia 76'  and a Dr. of PT. I emailed the report to him and suggested the recovery time should be 6-12 weeks. Through different modalities and progressions of our own protocols, he's about 90% recovered. Point is, the orginal PT wanted him doing NOTHING, come to them 2x per week and the protocol was next to nothing. He did farmers walks today with fat grips with 55lb DB's for 30 yards.
Fair enough. Yes there is retards in all professions. That female PT is one.

luvvsuNOT

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2013, 09:52:57 PM »
Have you ever slept in a position to where your arm or hand goes numb for a short period of time when say, taking a nap? or not changing positions while sleeping. You usually can just wake up and shake your arm a few times and you're good...not in these cases.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000790.htm

Of course I have. I've woken up and couldn't move my neck. Once it seemed like my shoulder just went dead. But I just shake it off and over the next few days it gets better. I didin't need no goddamn physical therapy.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2013, 10:55:25 PM »
Mogul, you're assuming that all personal trainers do it full time. Many just do it as a side gig.

I know someone who is a firefighter, and with overtime, can pull over $100,000 a year. He does personal training on the side because A) he likes to lift weights, B) he enjoys training people, and C) he even gets to make some side cash.

Personally, I could never do personal training as a full time job, but for some extra cash on the side, why not?
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2013, 11:08:22 PM »
Mogul, you're assuming that all personal trainers do it full time. Many just do it as a side gig.

I know someone who is a firefighter, and with overtime, can pull over $100,000 a year. He does personal training on the side because A) he likes to lift weights, B) he enjoys training people, and C) he even gets to make some side cash.

Personally, I could never do personal training as a full time job, but for some extra cash on the side, why not?

With the field you're in, you'll never have to worry about making extra money. Especially here in LA.

mogulgangi

• Getbig IV
  • fitness celebrity
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2013, 12:13:34 PM »

The point I'm trying to get across fella is that 99percent of Americans know how to earn a living...only 1percent know how to create true wealth....thus why only 1 percent of Americans are wealthy...the path to earning a living can be a fun one for some and a rigid one for others...the path to creating wealth is one that very few even considering doing...we live in a capitalistic society ..most of us will never know that we are actually helping others achieve their wealth on our back's sake...most will live a life of fun and happyness living on a budget and being happy making 100k without actually ever tapping into our true wealth creating mindset....our society is brainwashed into believing that security thru jobs and corporate well being is how life should be...colleges have been setting this standard for years...the upcoming generation who love college and love being employees is our biggest risk..wealth is built thru innovation and taking risks...

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2013, 12:37:35 PM »
The point I'm trying to get across fella is that 99percent of Americans know how to earn a living...only 1percent know how to create true wealth....thus why only 1 percent of Americans are wealthy...the path to earning a living can be a fun one for some and a rigid one for others...the path to creating wealth is one that very few even considering doing...we live in a capitalistic society ..most of us will never know that we are actually helping others achieve their wealth on our back's sake...most will live a life of fun and happyness living on a budget and being happy making 100k without actually ever tapping into our true wealth creating mindset....our society is brainwashed into believing that security thru jobs and corporate well being is how life should be...colleges have been setting this standard for years...the upcoming generation who love college and love being employees is our biggest risk..wealth is built thru innovation and taking risks...

Wealth is subjective. With some people living comfortably, savings, some property, little to no debt is wealth. To others, no matter how much they have, it's never enough and usually results in problems. You make the decision.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »

flawed logic.

what percentage of that "1%" actually created their wealth?

I know a lot of wealthy people in that "1%", and a good % of them didn't 'create' their wealth.

and so what? so what if the new generation wants to be professional students and work for somebody else all their lives? I say GOOD.... more for me. Reminds me of these "doomsday" theory people thinking the world is gonna end and they're building bunkers and stockpiling food and telling everybody about it. If you really think that, why on earth would you want everybody else to be as prepared as you? wouldn't YOU want the advantage of being ready when nobody else is?

Let everybody else keeping doing what they're doing... those of us who aspire to be successful and manage risks will keep doing what we're doing.

Usually the people who complain about the world's 99% not knowing how to "create wealth" are no different from the people they're complaining about.

If you really were a "mogul" and wealthy, wtf would you be doing here wasting your time telling a bunch of faceless-names how clueless they are? wouldn't it BENEFIT you if they continued to be clueless? wouldn't it mean more money in your pocket? and less competition for you?

For that reason alone, I believe you're a kid in his 2nd year of JC who just took a summer course on Econ.

mogulgangi

• Getbig IV
  • fitness celebrity
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2013, 12:56:32 PM »
flawed logic.

what percentage of that "1%" actually created their wealth?

I know a lot of wealthy people in that "1%", and a good % of them didn't 'create' their wealth.

and so what? so what if the new generation wants to be professional students and work for somebody else all their lives? I say GOOD.... more for me. Reminds me of these "doomsday" theory people thinking the world is gonna end and they're building bunkers and stockpiling food and telling everybody about it. If you really think that, why on earth would you want everybody else to be as prepared as you? wouldn't YOU want the advantage of being ready when nobody else is?

Let everybody else keeping doing what they're doing... those of us who aspire to be successful and manage risks will keep doing what we're doing.

Usually the people who complain about the world's 99% not knowing how to "create wealth" are no different from the people they're complaining about.

If you really were a "mogul" and wealthy, wtf would you be doing here wasting your time telling a bunch of faceless-names how clueless they are? wouldn't it BENEFIT you if they continued to be clueless? wouldn't it mean more money in your pocket? and less competition for you?

For that reason alone, I believe you're a kid in his 2nd year of JC who just took a summer course on Econ.

Haha...Econ 101 is serious business ....moving onto macro economics shortly...lol...

I thought getbig was full of millionaires with women on dial for pussy..

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2013, 12:58:57 PM »
With the field you're in, you'll never have to worry about making extra money. Especially here in LA.

haha, yes! But to be honest I still would like to train some people. I enjoy lifting and would not mind training a few clients per week! Id have to get certified and everything!
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2013, 01:02:08 PM »

Wow, great. You can speak for yourself but not for others. As Coach said, being "wealthy" is subjective. Some people have no desire to accrue all that money. Plus, given the limited resources in this world, it would be impossible for every single person to become a millionaire or billionaire.
X

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2013, 01:07:35 PM »