Author Topic: Official BREAKING BAD Thread  (Read 45201 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
Re: Breaking Bad episode tonight
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2013, 03:47:39 PM »
Do you agree BB is the best show ever?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/allenstjohn/2013/09/16/why-breaking-bad-is-the-best-show-ever-and-why-that-matters/2/

The first few seasons of Sopranos opened my eyes to what TV can be like.  It took it to a whole new level.  The show lost its mojo near the end but it broke new ground.  BB is great, but not Sopranos great.  Game of Thrones is also better, it is like watching a movie each week. Some of the most brilliant acting ever for any show on TV.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2013, 03:56:16 PM »
Good info here.  This last episode was called "Ozymandias" that is a poem written by Percy Shelley about the downfall of kings -- how all people in power will eventually lose that power.

I met a traveller from an antique land
 Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
 Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
 Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
 And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
 Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
 Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
 The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
 And on the pedestal these words appear:
 "My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
 Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
 Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
 Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
 The lone and level sands stretch far away.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2013, 04:15:08 PM »
The first few seasons of Sopranos opened my eyes to what TV can be like.  It took it to a whole new level.  The show lost its mojo near the end but it broke new ground.  BB is great, but not Sopranos great.  Game of Thrones is also better, it is like watching a movie each week. Some of the most brilliant acting ever for any show on TV.

I will have to catch up on Game of Thrones because I have never heard of it.  BB just caught me in a way the Sopranos never did and I think the plot played a large roll.  I loved the Sopranos but the emotions this show pulls from me are like no other.  I have complained about some of the slower episodes this season but it's more than made up for them.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »
I will have to catch up on Game of Thrones because I have never heard of it.  BB just caught me in a way the Sopranos never did and I think the plot played a large roll.  I loved the Sopranos but the emotions this show pulls from me are like no other.  I have complained about some of the slower episodes this season but it's more than made up for them.

Yeah, Sopranos had way too many dog shit episodes.  Amazing with such great actors the writers gave them shit to read.  Janice was the worst casting ever.

even a bad episode of BB is the best.  I reached my best shape in years a couple years back when I would do cardio and watch episodes of BB.  45 minutes just flew by and I didn't even realize how fast or tired I was getting.

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2013, 04:25:13 PM »
Yeah, Sopranos had way too many dog shit episodes.  Amazing with such great actors the writers gave them shit to read.  Janice was the worst casting ever.

even a bad episode of BB is the best.  I reached my best shape in years a couple years back when I would do cardio and watch episodes of BB.  45 minutes just flew by and I didn't even realize how fast or tired I was getting.

Haha I watched all the back episodes with my gf leading into the season. Def missed or forgot a great deal!  People who have never watched are in for a treat and marathons are fun!

I agree about Janice!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2013, 08:52:21 PM »
he sat and broke bread with Hank for at least a decade.  They're family.  He knows hank will take care of skyler and kids long after the cancer gets him.

He wanted hank to live.  if not, he would have eliminated Hank the moment he discovered he was heisenberg.  he just wanted him to back off til he died.  

It makes ya realize... sometimes you just have to not mess with a situation.  Was hank "right"?  Sure.  But it's not always how the world works.  Just let heisenberg get away with it, keep his money, share his $, and the family is set.  Now, thanks to hank and his lust for "i can be the guy that brought down heisenberg", he got shot.  

Of course, that woudln't be interesting TV.  If hank hadn't dropped a deuce at the end of last season, there would be nothing to watch now.  Relaxing by the pool for a year.

Bah, bread schmead.  They overlay his decisions with a lot of emotional distraction for us (and for himself) but every action he has ever taken has finally been based on practical necessity.  That's what makes him so wonderfully rotten.  He undertakes all this ruthless shit and then excuses himself from it by the simple act of removing The Black Hat, as if Heisenberg isn't really part of him.  

He had the same look of regret he had when he realized there was a perfect time for him to die.  There was a perfect time to kill Hank and Jesse but it was too confronting.  His unwillingness to accept Heisenberg as a real part of himself led to a circumstance where it became too late for Hank to die without everything unravelling.  So Heisenberg failed to do what was needed and White doesn't get to pretend purity anymore, and the make believe distinction between the two has painfully dissolved.  

One of Whitman's famous lines is "I contain multitudes.  I contradict myself."  Don't we all.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2013, 08:56:45 PM »
Meh.  Gave it a shot... watched 5 episodes. Bunch of pasty  bald guys that all think they are so badass....I can see how weak peopke would like it.

f450

• Getbig IV
« Reply #182 on: September 17, 2013, 10:29:22 PM »

Game of thrones is not eligible as its not an original TV production. The source material for Game of thrones is simply one of the best fantasy series ever written... its impossible to fuck up because George RR martin is such a fucking brilliant writer.

Compare Breaking Bad to The Sopranos, The wire, The shield.... etc

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #183 on: September 17, 2013, 10:59:49 PM »
The opening scene was designed to remind the audience of Jesses stupidity and tendency to be his own worst enemy.  If Jesse had just listened to Walt and kept his mouth shut, Hank would be alive and they would both be millionaires. 

I tend to agree to some extent. That last episode of Breaking Bad obviously showed that Jesse in a way led to Hank's death. But if we dig deeper into this, Walt chose Jesse as his partner to begin with, so maybe the real culprit behind Hank's death is Walt? (since he originally chose to team up with Jesse)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #184 on: September 17, 2013, 11:07:26 PM »
walt appealed to hank's fmaily side - said he was dying, just leave it alone.

hank continued his pursuit out of vanity, "I could be the guy that brought him down" = all about his career.

walt appealed to hank's career side - said he would blame him for everything.  Hank, take the out, man!

Hank continued, breaking DEA rules and keeping jesse out of the system and working 'off the books', hence he and gomey being the only 2 agents on the scene to bring down a dangerous drug kingpin.  They could have been walking into walt with the M60 for all they knew. 

Hank was terribly irresponsible to handle things like that.  Would Todd's gang have come in with machine guns, with 30 DEA agents on the scene?  Ah, nope!  They would have turned the heck around.  We saw Hank, in episode 1, using 20 guys to knock down 2 shitty home meth dealers... yet 2 of them are enough to control Jesse while bringing down the most dangerous man they'll ever face?  They were irresponsible, that is what got Hank killed.  Nothing else.  Gomey would have been fine leading 50 agents to bring in Walt without any trouble.  No, Hank had to be THE MAN... "I could be the man that bring him down!".    He had jesse's statement.  Gomey should have brought in the troops and sent hank home to relax.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #185 on: September 18, 2013, 03:44:36 AM »

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #186 on: September 18, 2013, 04:33:51 AM »

hank continued his pursuit out of vanity, "I could be the guy that brought him down" = all about his career.

walt appealed to hank's career side - said he would blame him for everything.  Hank, take the out, man!

Hank continued, breaking DEA rules and keeping jesse out of the system and working 'off the books', hence he and gomey being the only 2 agents on the scene to bring down a dangerous drug kingpin.  They could have been walking into walt with the M60 for all they knew. 

Hank was terribly irresponsible to handle things like that.  Would Todd's gang have come in with machine guns, with 30 DEA agents on the scene?  Ah, nope!  They would have turned the heck around.  We saw Hank, in episode 1, using 20 guys to knock down 2 shitty home meth dealers... yet 2 of them are enough to control Jesse while bringing down the most dangerous man they'll ever face?  They were irresponsible, that is what got Hank killed.  Nothing else.  Gomey would have been fine leading 50 agents to bring in Walt without any trouble.  No, Hank had to be THE MAN... "I could be the man that bring him down!".    He had jesse's statement.  Gomey should have brought in the troops and sent hank home to relax.

Good post.  I agree. 
A

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: September 18, 2013, 05:00:32 AM »
Awesome show...but I think Walt realizes in the end that he corrupted Jessie and will feel responsible for him thus saving him and telling him to reform and go back to his family......Walt will die but the final shot will be of Jesse going home to his mother and father and being accepted back thus giving him his shot at redemption....Jesse's year of servitude and torture was his comeuppance for all the shit he did...but he will come out of it okay....may even visit Walt's grave in the end.....

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2013, 05:06:53 AM »
Awesome show...but I think Walt realizes in the end that he corrupted Jessie and will feel responsible for him thus saving him and telling him to reform and go back to his family......Walt will die but the final shot will be of Jesse going home to his mother and father and being accepted back thus giving him his shot at redemption....Jesse's year of servitude and torture was his comeuppance for all the shit he did...but he will come out of it okay....may even visit Walt's grave in the end.....

I think the Walt saving Jesse angle ended last week when he ordered his execution right there.

I just think it's boiling down to who kills Walt after he destroys the Nazis - Jesse / Skylar or Walter Junior.
Y

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: September 18, 2013, 05:08:07 AM »
I tend to agree to some extent. That last episode of Breaking Bad obviously showed that Jesse in a way led to Hank's death. But if we dig deeper into this, Walt chose Jesse as his partner to begin with, so maybe the real culprit behind Hank's death is Walt? (since he originally chose to team up with Jesse)

Actually Hank broke bad as well..just not in a criminal way....Hank became so obsessed with Walt that he was actually willing to sacrifice Jesse...he didn't care.....he said so when Gomez confronted him with it.....so yes Walt caused Hank's death but Hank used Jesse to snare Walt, was willing to sacrifice him (look how he had Jesse go and meet Walt even though he knew Walt wanted to kill Jesse) and Hank got caught in his own trap....

I thought it was really poignant when as Hank lay on the ground he looked at Walt and said "you're the smartest guy I know yet you're too stupid to see that he made up his mind to kill me 10 minutes ago"....to me that showed that Hank always had respect for Walt as a brilliant teacher, chemist, and ..begrudgingly, as a criminal mastermind who could get away with all the things he had gotten away with right under his nose...

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #190 on: September 18, 2013, 05:14:49 AM »

I think the opening scene was actually meant to show a contrast of how relatively innocent they both were when they began to cook meth before they were totally corrupted by the drug business.....we see Jesse is still just a crazy hapless kid and that Walt is a bumbling desperate family man in his underwear who is like a surrogate father to Jesse....Walt and Jesse at that time just wanted to make a few bucks and get out......they didn't want to hurt anyone and become drug kingpins...it just all spun out of control...

the contrast of the opening scene and whats going on now is meant to say... WE GOT INTO THIS FOR SOMEWHAT ALTRUISTIC REASONS......HOW DID IT ALL COME TO THIS?????

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #191 on: September 18, 2013, 05:21:37 AM »

That's a great exposition, but you have to take into account Hank's words from a previous episode. Something to the effect that he was totally embarrassed that a major meth manufacturer was his own brother-in-law and that the DEA was going to force him out immediately.

I think Hank was trying to salvage what was left of his reputation, and he could only do that if he brought Walt in.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2013, 05:29:52 AM »

And to top it off, Walt was ready to give up ALL the money he made just to save Hanks's life, but now its gone, all for nothing!

I was happy to see Hank die with dignity though!

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2013, 05:34:04 AM »
That's a great exposition, but you have to take into account Hank's words from a previous episode. Something to the effect that he was totally embarrassed that a major meth manufacturer was his own brother-in-law and that the DEA was going to force him out immediately.

I think Hank was trying to salvage what was left of his reputation, and he could only do that if he brought Walt in.

Very true.  Hanks pride was a part of his undoing.   He felt betrayed and humiliated by Walt and took the situation very personally.
A

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2013, 06:53:28 AM »
I think the opening scene was actually meant to show a contrast of how relatively innocent they both were when they began to cook meth before they were totally corrupted by the drug business.....we see Jesse is still just a crazy hapless kid and that Walt is a bumbling desperate family man in his underwear who is like a surrogate father to Jesse....Walt and Jesse at that time just wanted to make a few bucks and get out......they didn't want to hurt anyone and become drug kingpins...it just all spun out of control...

the contrast of the opening scene and whats going on now is meant to say... WE GOT INTO THIS FOR SOMEWHAT ALTRUISTIC REASONS......HOW DID IT ALL COME TO THIS?????
The opening scene correlates with the ending scene where Walt was practicing his speech to Skylar.  He barely ever told her the truth the rest of the way and the speech at the end where he exonerates her shows him lying at his best.  The first speech was picking up pizza, very humble, to how in the end, she's a bitch who didn't understand the empire he built.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #195 on: September 18, 2013, 08:13:19 AM »

in that case... Gomey was nuts to go along with it. 

"So, um, Hank... you want me to tag along with you and an angry meth dealer who killed someone (Jesse) on a secret mission to the middle of the desert to trap an angry/scared/desperate man with month to live, millions of dollars to his disposal, and a rap sheet of dozens of murders...

You wanna maybe bring along someone else?  Or you think the 2 of us got this, Hank?  I bet the last thing Gomey thought, as the bullets started flying, was "Why did I let Hank talk me into this..."

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #196 on: September 18, 2013, 08:23:31 AM »
all nice and well these tv series but it looks like that when people finished working all they do is hang before the tv, quite miserable

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #197 on: September 18, 2013, 08:24:21 AM »
all nice and well these tv series but it looks like that when people finished working all they do is hang before the tv, quite miserable

I do that because after fucking your mother, I'm tired

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #198 on: September 18, 2013, 08:28:14 AM »
I think the opening scene is a parallel one to the last episode when Hank tells Marie he loves her,and never see`s her again.In this one Walt tells Skyler he loves her (last thing he says) then he fades away.
Also just read somewhere that the scene in the fire station when he drops the baby off,the guys are playing chess and the pieces are set up so that the white king is cornered but not check mated.I don`t play chess so i don`t know how true this is.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2013, 08:28:41 AM »
my mom died this week