Author Topic: RIP - Casey Viator  (Read 54816 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
Re: RIP - Casey Viator
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2013, 09:08:54 PM »
In the old days it took a certain attitude to experiment with steroids. The majority of guys lifting weights did so naturally. Gains were slow and we marvelled at the big guys in the magazines. All of a sudden Larry Scott went from a good physique to winning Mr California. Of course we say it was all drugs but Larry invented severe training programs that helped him get huge arms and shoulders. The steroids helped for sure but how much we will never know. By the early seventies it was obvious to all that the warnings of the doctors about steroids were over stated. Except for Tom Sansone just about everyone else seemed okay. No side effects such as bitch tits, even. Most had their hair....being bald was what was expected if you used drugs.

Fast forward to this century and we find that the majority of musclemen survived okay even though they used growth stimulating drugs. Ray and Mike Mentzer departed in 2001 before either was 50. That was sad. Both had deteriorated health and goodness knows what they did to their bodies in the decades beforehand. There was a cavalier attitude among the top guys and things were fine until they got sick. That happened in the early nineties as guys got heavier as well as bigger. There is just no way that the body can be healthy and hold 300 pounds of weight.

In recent years we saw Serge Nubret pass away. He was looking great at 70 but things changed and he ended up in hospital and never recovered. Sergio Oliva was unbelievable but ended up in a sad state as a frail guy. Who would have predicted that would happen to such a champ? Arnold had heart surgery and is a shadow of his former self. Now Casey is gone. He ended up bulky but we all thought he was fine because he was still training. Makes us all wonder what is ahead of us. Few make it to 80 and even fewer seem fit and healthy then. Guys like Zabo deteriorated in his last years. Joe Gold ended up in a wheel chair. Steve Reeves didn't make it to 75 and we all thought he would live to be over 90 because he was so healthy. I am not blaming drugs but for some of the departed I wonder if things they did impacted on their health in the long run.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2013, 09:20:44 PM »
As a tribute more photos should be posted here.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »
A few more.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2013, 09:37:14 PM »

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2013, 09:48:44 PM »
Casey appeared just after Sergio and Arnold dominated the sport. So his chances weren't great in the seventies. He did create a sensation with his size as such a young age. Look at his baby face on that huge physique.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2013, 09:51:15 PM »
Casey had an Herculean physique and was super strong as well.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2013, 01:40:17 AM »
A few more.

do you believe this fella here is 65 fucking years old :o

dude is a true inspiration and in fact he is on my screensaver (no homo)

luvvsuNOT

• Getbig III
« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2013, 01:59:30 AM »
Vince, what's your point? Everyone deteriorates as they get older. I mean, shit, look at you.

beakdoctor

• Getbig V
  • Cruising on caffeine and blasting with melatonin
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2013, 06:01:51 PM »
Thanks for the photo's Vince. Alot I have not seen before. He looks powerfull as fuck. Casey had a strange structure, big barrell rib cage yet narrow with. Great limbs but undersized pecs.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #134 on: September 21, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »
do you believe this fella here is 65 fucking years old :o

dude is a true inspiration and in fact he is on my screensaver (no homo)

no, I don't believe it

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #135 on: September 22, 2013, 01:42:49 AM »
Thanks for the photo's Vince. Alot I have not seen before. He looks powerfull as fuck. Casey had a strange structure, big barrell rib cage yet narrow with. Great limbs but undersized pecs.

like AJ used to say "there are torso bodybuilders (great chest and back) and limb bodybuilders (great arms and legs)" Casey V was a limb bodybuilder

Arnold is one of the few who had both, and Haney was a torso guy

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #136 on: September 22, 2013, 09:46:01 AM »
like AJ used to say "there are torso bodybuilders (great chest and back) and limb bodybuilders (great arms and legs)" Casey V was a limb bodybuilder

Arnold is one of the few who had both, and Haney was a torso guy

Very true.  A very few guys are like Arnold, i.e., complete.  Most of us look like God dragged a magnet through a parts bin and took what stuck and stuck us with it. ;D

Like the Menzters, Viator was and shall remain an inspiration to a great many people. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #137 on: September 22, 2013, 03:55:26 PM »
no, I don't believe it

I don't believe it either. It looks like at the most a 50 year old on heavy steroids.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2013, 07:03:03 PM »
Vince, what's your point? Everyone deteriorates as they get older. I mean, shit, look at you.

;D ;D ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2013, 09:50:32 PM »
I don't believe it either. It looks like at the most a 50 year old on heavy steroids.

this dude is in his mid-50s

backday

• Getbig III
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2013, 12:30:53 AM »
this dude is in his mid-50s

He looks older than the other one

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2013, 01:13:36 AM »
Fellas, we are paying our respects to the memory of Casey Viator, Mr America 1971.

What many here do not comprehend is that hypertrophy is possible at any age. What is required is a proper stimulus and regular training over a time.

It is not impossible to look really good when over 60. That few obtain a good look then is attributed more to training methods than age. Yes, strength

declines over the decades but not drastically. It all depends on the stress one puts on his body and how often and for how long.

If people believe it is not possible to build muscle in old age then is it any surprise that few have? The two limiting factors are motivation and

overcoming injuries. Once the body is injured the connective tissue remains delicate afterwards. The muscles can and do get bigger and stronger.

However, if the connective tissue is not sound then injuries occur at the weakest link.

Most bodybuilders see muscles evaporate. Casey retained his size but was eating too much. Hey, it isn't easy to lose weight in old age. Oh, the formula

to lose weight is easy but applying it to get results is another thing. One of the joys in life is eating tasty food. So as we age we don't need as many

calories to maintain our physiques so any extra we consume ends up around our waists which is a pity.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2013, 02:09:12 AM »
All those + 60 masters & grand/ultra masters who compete at numerous contest totally contradict you  ;D
Nobody give a fuck about yours hyper "trophy" rubbish.
(Canada or Italy, please take him back)

backday

• Getbig III
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2013, 03:46:20 AM »
All those + 60 masters & grand/ultra masters who compete at numerous contest totally contradict you  ;D
  ;D ;D

The Italian Lifter

• Getbig IV
  • I need an English dictionary!
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2013, 05:34:54 AM »

like we do not have enough troubles
North of Italy

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2013, 08:28:37 AM »

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2013, 10:04:38 AM »

I don't know who the guy is but a google image search yielded this photo (posted in August of this year) claiming he is 46 (which is believable with heavy steroid use as you mentioned)

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2013, 11:15:46 PM »
like we do not have enough troubles

Just do it, & molto grazie (???)

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2013, 11:19:38 PM »
I don't know who the guy is but a google image search yielded this photo (posted in August of this year) claiming he is 46 (which is believable with heavy steroid use as you mentioned)

Just to add names of Jim Morris,Clarence Bass  :D

drmarkp

• Getbig III
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2013, 01:26:12 PM »

.. Casey; from the 1971' "Mr. America" contest..