Author Topic: DOMS and water retention....I have noticed I hold a lot of  (Read 5918 times)

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
DOMS and water retention....I have noticed I hold a lot of
« on: September 05, 2013, 06:51:22 AM »
Water when I get bad DOMS, with the inflammation lasting a couple of days and then I shed 2-3 additional "water" pounds....

Question....should we over hydrate during these days (to speed up recovery) or just normal everyday water intake enough.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: DOMS and water retention....I have noticed I hold a lot of
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 08:45:10 AM »
Water when I get bad DOMS, with the inflammation lasting a couple of days and then I shed 2-3 additional "water" pounds....

Question....should we over hydrate during these days (to speed up recovery) or just normal everyday water intake enough.

Glad to hear someone else bring this up!!  I've posted about it, but no one else seemed to get it.

It only happens to me after leg day.  Noticeable, like 5lbs but than it goes away a day or two later. 

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 10:43:51 AM »
Glad to hear someone else bring this up!!  I've posted about it, but no one else seemed to get it.

It only happens to me after leg day.  Noticeable, like 5lbs but than it goes away a day or two later. 

same here....leg day.

Wednesday heavy legs...Thursday onset of DOMS, Friday full DOMS (walk like a palsy victim).....Sat a bit better...Sun good to go and water drops. Rinse repeat. 

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 01:37:40 AM »
same here....leg day.

Wednesday heavy legs...Thursday onset of DOMS, Friday full DOMS (walk like a palsy victim).....Sat a bit better...Sun good to go and water drops. Rinse repeat. 

YES!!

Exact same situation here.  I thought this would be something I would grow out of but I never have.

The only time I didn't seem to get this, was while I was doing Layne Norton's PHAT training twice a week with a light and heavy day. 

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 05:23:55 PM »
This is one of the reasons I have switched from the traditional once a week per body part training. The main reason being that it didn't do anything for my progress. IMO consistent  extreme soreness is not a sign of a good workout but of the body's inability to properly adapt to the workouts. 
Tedim you mentioned that by hitting legs on Wed you are good to go by Sun, then why wait until next Wednesday to train them again.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »
This is one of the reasons I have switched from the traditional once a week per body part training. The main reason being that it didn't do anything for my progress. IMO consistent  extreme soreness is not a sign of a good workout but of the body's inability to properly adapt to the workouts. 
Tedim you mentioned that by hitting legs on Wed you are good to go by Sun, then why wait until next Wednesday to train them again.

Yes, backing up what I experienced.  Twice a week and I had no DOMS.

The only reason I quit doing twice a week, was that I got a cold twice in two months (and I never ever get sick) so I figured it was related and went back to once a week.

???

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
Yes, backing up what I experienced.  Twice a week and I had no DOMS.

The only reason I quit doing twice a week, was that I got a cold twice in two months (and I never ever get sick) so I figured it was related and went back to once a week.

???

I don't know that much about Layne's PHAT protocol but I do know that too many heavy workouts (weights at or above 90% of 1rm) in a short period of time can wreak havoc on the CNS and the immune system. Especially for naturals with regular jobs and other obligations outside of the gym.

I have been expirementing on and off  with 3 days a week full body training for almost two years now. No DOMS during the 3 days a week split, when I switched back to a pull/push/lower split started getting DOMS again after several weeks. It is a bit tricky to get the 3 days a week full body split right with the amount of volume and intensity so that you can continue to make progress, more so with people who have been lifting for years and have a good amount of strength. Let me tell you it was quite a bitch at first.

Tedim

• Getbig V
  • "Ну GetBig, ну погоди"
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 05:04:49 PM »
I see growth with DOMS....also "feels" like I'm progressing......pain acts like a psychological stimulant. If it doesn't kill you...... ;D

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 05:33:04 PM »
I see growth with DOMS....also "feels" like I'm progressing......pain acts like a psychological stimulant. If it doesn't kill you...... ;D

At least you are seeing progress. I personally didn't see any progress in my lower body size and strength until I started training it more frequently, and no DOMS. Have you ever trained arms couple of days after hitting chest and when doing dips or close grip benches everything feels tight and "springy" and you just fall right into the groove during your presses?  Imagine that same feeling with squats or deads.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 05:31:56 PM »
Insane, I did legs on Friday and today I'm suddenly up 5lbs. 

Like clockwork. 

???

Anyone

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »
i fluctuate ~5lbs at any given time in a week....why worry about it?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 06:59:39 PM »
i fluctuate ~5lbs at any given time in a week....why worry about it?

Not worried, just curious.  I weigh myself at the same time and this only happens after legs.  :o

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 02:27:38 AM »
Not worried, just curious.  I weigh myself at the same time and this only happens after legs.  :o

in my case it happens after the buffet and before a huge shit

oni

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 03:29:38 PM »
Spicing your food will remove the vast majority of DOMS- or rather stop them from developing
Cayenne, cinnamon, cardamom, chilli, vitamin e, ginger, tumeric, curcumin
You can also take 400-800mg immediately post training if you wish. The jury is out on whether or not this effects protein synthesis as it disables a pathway that enables MTOR but there are hundreds of pathways that can enable MTOR. Experiment.

Here are some knowledge bombs about spices:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19909780
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19164834
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20418184
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17332159

Also, at one point in time I squatted every day, to a max for about 3 months. Yes, the results were fucking amazing. As a result, I have never ever been sore in the legs since. No matter what I do. I don't expect anyone to do this realistically but it's food for thought. Stop being a pussy and push through it- it gets better

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 04:00:59 PM »
Ok so thinking of this thread last night I had leg day. Woke up today and noticed a lot of inflammation/water. I've always known that the day after legs for me wasn't the best day to weigh myself but yeah...even visually I look a lot different.

its inflammation and the fact that I take in more fluids the day I train legs and those fluids get pulled into the muscle. This would be a natural response and should be expected. Nothing unusual.
A

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 05:39:08 PM »
makes sense, thanks