Author Topic: The Top 10 Religious Discoveries of 2012  (Read 14483 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: The Top 10 Religious Discoveries of 2012
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 02:48:51 PM »
In terms of 2012 discoveries, leading textual critic and Christian Dan Wallace presented the discovery of various 2nd century manuscripts of NT books and the discovery of a 1st copy manuscript fragment of the gospel of Mark.  The publication of the finding are supposed to released through publisher E.J. Brill sometime this year.  A first century copy of Mark may be an enormous find depending on the content.  

I’ve personally been waiting to read and understand these finding for 18 months now.

There have also been more biblical archeological finds in 2012 and 2013 that validate passages of the OT and NT.   I'd have to Google the finds since I don't have this info at my fingertips.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 03:12:25 PM »
Muslims pray to the exact same god as Christians do and they recognize Jesus Christ as a prophet.

Epic knowledge.  :D

RagingBull

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 03:25:39 PM »
Your belief is the absence of religion. 

Moron.  Atheism is the absence of religion its not a belief.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 03:40:24 PM »
Life in itself does not make sense. What are we all doing here? What purpose does life serve in the scheme of things? Science will never explain that.
There is no "purpose" to life.  Your genes are the only things that survive, your "life" and whatever you do with it is completely useless and meaningless in the grand scheme of the Universe.  DNA and genes are also useless in the grand scheme of the Universe.  Life is just a byproduct of having the right conditions on a planet that is habitable and in the Goldilocks zone.  Yes, Science can explain this and has.

Sorry to ruin "the sanctity of life" for you, but this is the way it is.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 03:47:31 PM »
They don't actually. I have a degree in Religious Studies (focus on Islamic, Hebraic, Mormon, and Hindu Thought) and a Masters in Christian Thought. As exciting and useful as they sound.

Anywho, Muslims do not pray to the Christian God, neither do Jews or Mormons. In Christianity, one must believe that Jesus is God. If you don't believe that he is God, then you're not a Christian and you believe something else. It's just the reality of the faith and thought.

Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet and not God, didn't die on the cross, didn't die for the sins of humanity, wasn't resurrected. That's nearly as far away from the Christian understanding of God as you can get. Jews hold the same position, though not the prophet aspect, most Jews acknowledge Jesus as a good teacher.

Again, not a big deal to not believe Jesus of Nazareth was God. But, if you don't, then you're not worshiping the same God as Christians do.
HA HA HA

You have a degree in Fictitious Studies as far as I am concerned.  A Masters In "Christian Thought" ROFLMAO!  One could only imagine the depth of knowledge contained therein.  ::)

So Jesus is the son of god but he is also god?   ???  ROFLMAO   To think you believe this stuff.  You are insane.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »
In terms of 2012 discoveries, leading textual critic and Christian Dan Wallace presented the discovery of various 2nd century manuscripts of NT books and the discovery of a 1st copy manuscript fragment of the gospel of Mark.  The publication of the finding are supposed to released through publisher E.J. Brill sometime this year.  A first century copy of Mark may be an enormous find depending on the content.  

I’ve personally been waiting to read and understand these finding for 18 months now.

There have also been more biblical archeological finds in 2012 and 2013 that validate passages of the OT and NT.   I'd have to Google the finds since I don't have this info at my fingertips.

Oh those will be useful I am sure.  ::)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 03:50:24 PM »
Your belief is the absence of religion. 

Atheism is the absence of belief, genius.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2013, 03:51:50 PM »
Oh those will be useful I am sure.  ::)

Don't worry TA, I'll be available to explain things to you.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2013, 03:55:14 PM »
They don't actually. I have a degree in Religious Studies (focus on Islamic, Hebraic, Mormon, and Hindu Thought) and a Masters in Christian Thought. As exciting and useful as they sound.

Anywho, Muslims do not pray to the Christian God, neither do Jews or Mormons. In Christianity, one must believe that Jesus is God. If you don't believe that he is God, then you're not a Christian and you believe something else. It's just the reality of the faith and thought.

Muslims believe Jesus was a prophet and not God, didn't die on the cross, didn't die for the sins of humanity, wasn't resurrected. That's nearly as far away from the Christian understanding of God as you can get. Jews hold the same position, though not the prophet aspect, most Jews acknowledge Jesus as a good teacher.

Again, not a big deal to not believe Jesus of Nazareth was God. But, if you don't, then you're not worshiping the same God as Christians do.
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/01/do-christians-muslims-and-jews-worship-the-same-god/

Final answer

So do Christians Muslims, and Jews, really all worship the same God?

In two major volumes on the subject recently published by scholars from various faiths and traditions, including Volf’s, the most inclusive response from these scholars is basically: Yes, and it’s our God.

This is not a new way of answering the question.

In 1076, Pope Gregory VII wrote this to a Muslim leader: “We believe in and confess one God, admittedly, in a different way…”

But like many other religious leaders on all sides of the argument, Gregory insisted that his version of the Almighty is the one whom the others are unknowingly and incompletely worshiping.

A less exclusivist set of religions might shrug off the differences. But all three claim to have the only “True Faith.”

So do all three faiths actually worship the same deity, whether they call him God or Allah or Adonai?

God only knows.

Jeffrey Weiss is an award-winning religion reporter in Dallas.The views expressed in this column belong to Weiss.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2013, 04:11:16 PM »
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/01/do-christians-muslims-and-jews-worship-the-same-god/

Final answer

So do Christians Muslims, and Jews, really all worship the same God?

In two major volumes on the subject recently published by scholars from various faiths and traditions, including Volf’s, the most inclusive response from these scholars is basically: Yes, and it’s our God.

This is not a new way of answering the question.

In 1076, Pope Gregory VII wrote this to a Muslim leader: “We believe in and confess one God, admittedly, in a different way…”

But like many other religious leaders on all sides of the argument, Gregory insisted that his version of the Almighty is the one whom the others are unknowingly and incompletely worshiping.

A less exclusivist set of religions might shrug off the differences. But all three claim to have the only “True Faith.”

So do all three faiths actually worship the same deity, whether they call him God or Allah or Adonai?

God only knows.

Jeffrey Weiss is an award-winning religion reporter in Dallas.The views expressed in this column belong to Weiss.

Catholics aren't Christians.  

Catholics are actually more aligned with Muslims because they both have a works-based theology.  Muslims will admit they have no guarantees for their place in eternity, that the mercy of Allah will ultimately prevail and determine their fate.  In the mean time they perform works to hopefully enter Allah's paradise and will have their works weighed on scales during judgement.  

Catholics also have a works-based theology that enters the equation after salvation through faith.  The papacy and teaching magisterium all dictate the terms of Catholicism.  It isn't fully based on scripture (more like the minutia of scripture or secondary scripture), but in oral tradition passed from generation to generation through the papacy.  Catholics subscribe to the notion that the church of Rome was founded upon the apostle Peter and that each pope is an extension of Peter and that the Pope's word is law.  Catholic salvation is not based upon solely upon faith, but the addition of works established by the Roman church.   Catholics adhere to a sola Roma perspective, while protestants adhere to Christ and sola scriptura.

Catholics are not Christians as their salvation is not based solely through faith, but also by works; unforutnately our individual works are as filthy rags in the eyes of the Lord.  It's only by the shed blood of Christ that we are saved by grace through faith in Christ and thereby justified and deemed righteous before God and indwelt by the Holy Spirit and sanctified for God's purposes.  Our works cannot save us from God's judgement and wrath, but the Catholic church believes that it is so.  Therefore, Catholics are not Christians and Catholics are more closely aligned with Islam because of their works-based theologies.

Makes sense to me that the papacy would make such a decree and align with Islam (even temporarily).  It was in 1076 that the pope declared the supremacy of the papacy and the church even over the thrones of emperors of the time.....the papacy imposed their own standards and began to deviate from what Christ and his apostles had founded.  

Even further, we witness today a great deal of Catholic converts/reverts to Islam.   Catholics tired of the Roman church, but still in agreement with a works-based theology that Islam offers.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 04:52:29 PM »
Catholics aren't Christians.  

Catholics are actually more aligned with Muslims because they both have a works-based theology.  Muslims will admit they have no guarantees for their place in eternity, that the mercy of Allah will ultimately prevail and determine their fate.  In the mean time they perform works to hopefully enter Allah's paradise and will have their works weighed on scales during judgement.  

Catholics also have a works-based theology that enters the equation after salvation through faith.  The papacy and teaching magisterium all dictate the terms of Catholicism.  It isn't fully based on scripture (more like the minutia of scripture or secondary scripture), but in oral tradition passed from generation to generation through the papacy.  Catholics subscribe to the notion that the church of Rome was founded upon the apostle Peter and that each pope is an extension of Peter and that the Pope's word is law.  Catholic salvation is not based upon solely upon faith, but the addition of works established by the Roman church.   Catholics adhere to a sola Roma perspective, while protestants adhere to Christ and sola scriptura.

Catholics are not Christians as their salvation is not based solely through faith, but also by works; unforutnately our individual works are as filthy rags in the eyes of the Lord.  It's only by the shed blood of Christ that we are saved by grace through faith in Christ and thereby justified and deemed righteous before God and indwelt by the Holy Spirit and sanctified for God's purposes.  Our works cannot save us from God's judgement and wrath, but the Catholic church believes that it is so.  Therefore, Catholics are not Christians and Catholics are more closely aligned with Islam because of their works-based theologies.

Makes sense to me that the papacy would make such a decree and align with Islam (even temporarily).  It was in 1076 that the pope declared the supremacy of the papacy and the church even over the thrones of emperors of the time.....the papacy imposed their own standards and began to deviate from what Christ and his apostles had founded.  

Even further, we witness today a great deal of Catholic converts/reverts to Islam.   Catholics tired of the Roman church, but still in agreement with a works-based theology that Islam offers.

WTFFFFFFFFF

You just invalidated any argument you will ever have.  Catholics are THE ORIGINAL Christians and Branch of Christianity.

I am literally floored that you don`t know this.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 04:58:13 PM »
HA HA HA

You have a degree in Fictitious Studies as far as I am concerned.  A Masters In "Christian Thought" ROFLMAO!  One could only imagine the depth of knowledge contained therein.  ::)

So Jesus is the son of god but he is also god?   ???  ROFLMAO   To think you believe this stuff.  You are insane.

He and God are also a ghost as well.  God gave birth to himself and then committed suicide on top of that.  When God (  :D ) screamed out on the cross "why have thou forsaken me?"  it kind of makes you wonder who he was talking to.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »
WTFFFFFFFFF

You just invalidated any argument you will ever have.  Catholics are THE ORIGINAL Christians and Branch of Christianity.

I am literally floored that you don`t know this.

No need to be floored.  I understand the history of Christianity.  Simply put, the Catholic church deviated completely from it's foundations in Christ and the apostles and became consumed with money, power and their own created theology.

The Christian church was founded in and around Rome and lead by the early papacy, but deplorable papal leaders slowly infected the church and the church's theology was slowly morphed away from the ideals of grace through faith that were establisehd by Christ.

The Christian church became the Catholic church.....many Christians thereby adopted Catholicism and became Catholics.  This led us to the Reformation in the church which helped reestablish the foundations of the initial Christian church and the ideals of grace through faith and the upholding of the notion that works are but filthy rags to the Lord.  The Roman Catholic today exists in it's perverted form still; hence, we have Catholics and Christians that are not the same.  The is by no means an exhaustive reply on the subject, simply a high level overview.

Forgive me, but my family is waiting for me.

Have a good evening!!  

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 05:14:52 PM »
He and God are also a ghost as well.  God gave birth to himself and then committed suicide on top of that.  When God (  :D ) screamed out on the cross "why have thou forsaken me?"  it kind of makes you wonder who he was talking to.

Christ cry on the cross was a reference to an old testament Davidic psalm 22 which was also prophetic and detailed what was happening to Christ in that very moment on the cross.  While on the cross he showed that OT prophecy had been fulfilled.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2013, 07:18:08 PM »
So has as God forsaked himself and committed suicide.  Gotcha.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »
So has as God forsaked himself and committed suicide.  Gotcha.

You read the answer to your question, but you did not consult Psalms 22 that I referenced.

Christ quoted King David and it was David that cried out to the Lord.  Christ references this Psalm as it fulfilled prophecy.   The Psalm speaks to an experience David had, but it's secondary purpose is prophetic in that it details the same things Christ experienced on the cross.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2013, 07:27:34 PM »
Call religion the world's greatest problem but wishing for everyone in this world to not have religion would be insanity...at least with the current population. Talk about a zombie apocalypse...

Smarter than average people made this stuff up a long time ago to control the masses and give even the stupidest person a level of human understanding.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »

Okay, now answer me this:

How can the above discoveries aid civilization? How can these discoveries greatly affect mankind, and all mankind, not just a subset of a particular religious group? How can these discoveries be similar, to say, the cure of various diseases?

And please do not say something like, "They will affect the morality of mankind" or some lame answer like that.
X

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2013, 07:37:42 PM »

Okay, now answer me this:

How can the above discoveries aid civilization? How can these discoveries greatly affect mankind, and all mankind, not just a subset of a particular religious group? How can these discoveries be similar, to say, the cure of various diseases?

And please do not say something like, "They will affect the morality of mankind" or some lame answer like that.

Didn't TA's thread title reference religious discoveries of 2012 or did it reference medical/technological discoveries of 2012?  I provided examples of religious discoveries that relate to religion.   The NT manuscripts and archeological finds won't advance medicine or technology that I'm aware of.

Maybe you should start a medical/technological discoveries of 2012 thread?

RagingBull

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2013, 09:59:46 PM »
You are a dunce without your cutting and pasting skills.  Atheists' belief is the absence of belief in God.  Now go cut and paste something else you mamaluke. 

Atheism is the absence of belief, genius. mamaluke.

Zillotch

• Getbig V
  • the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2013, 10:53:17 PM »

You are annoying, ignorant and unoriginal.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2013, 11:06:20 PM »
Didn't TA's thread title reference religious discoveries of 2012 or did it reference medical/technological discoveries of 2012?  I provided examples of religious discoveries that relate to religion.   The NT manuscripts and archeological finds won't advance medicine or technology that I'm aware of.

Maybe you should start a medical/technological discoveries of 2012 thread?

I am aware of the title of the thread.

I am seeking to expand the topic and try to figure out how these discoveries will overall help mankind.
X

the trainer

« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2013, 11:15:47 PM »

What does a douche and the true adonis have in common.

They will both clean your asshole.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2013, 11:25:31 PM »

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2013, 11:33:22 PM »
Jesus!   >:(