Author Topic: I started double hand dumbel rows on a bench, what is proper form?  (Read 7745 times)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
I started double hand dumbel rows on a bench, what is proper form?
« on: September 07, 2013, 04:27:43 AM »
pull the dumbells to the chest or to the hips? elbows in? elbows out?

Your Average GymRat

Re: I started double hand dumbel rows on a bench, what is proper form?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 04:46:09 AM »
Since you don't lift weights, or even really exist, it doesn't really even matter.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 04:48:00 AM »
Since you don't lift weights, or even really exist, it doesn't really even matter.
;D

Meaningless

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 05:08:25 AM »
Arch your back to contract lats fully and pull to below rib cage.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 05:23:26 AM »
Arch your back to contract lats fully and pull to below rib cage.
which ribs? the middle ones or the bottom ones?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 06:21:02 AM »
It's a chest supported row.

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 06:21:14 AM »
just make sure to keep your abs tight
T

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 07:08:38 AM »
Do them standing, doing them on a bench means you'll be stuck using the 15kg dumbbells.

Use a form that would mirror your incline pressing form.

Also, have you ever heard Ronnie Coleman say, "ain't nothing to it but to do it?" Much wisdom there. Don't get caught up in the details, just go to the gym and lift hard

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 07:14:44 AM »
Do them standing, doing them on a bench means you'll be stuck using the 15kg dumbbells.

Use a form that would mirror your incline pressing form.

Also, have you ever heard Ronnie Coleman say, "ain't nothing to it but to do it?" Much wisdom there. Don't get caught up in the details, just go to the gym and lift hard
dorian said if you dont get your row technique right your back will wash down to nothing towards the waist

and dorian had a better back than ronald

(but obviously ronald blows away dorian overall)

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 07:29:51 AM »
The first couple exercises he does here, especially the 1-arm pulldowns on the hammer strength pulldown machine, are probably the best exercises to isolate your lower lats. Vince Taylor, while certainly no RC, is probably the best BBer to emulate for good, everyday physique.

http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/x1mnmm

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 08:46:09 AM »
Take the dumbbell row for example. While it might seem to be a painfully simple exercise to perform for even the most kinaesthetically-challenged desk jockey, I rarely see flawless dumbbell row execution.

Sadly, what I usually encounter looks like a perverse combination of a triceps kickback and a dumbbell concentration curl performed with more momentum than a crowded CrossFit class

The one-arm dumbbell row, when performed correctly, is one of the most versatile "bang for your buck" upper body exercises in your arsenal. The movement involves scapular retraction and depression, along with spinal extension and compression through the thoracolumbar region, and also acts as a core stabilization exercise through anti-rotation and anti-flexion.

The latissimus is one of the only muscles to run directly over the vertebrae of the thoracic, lumbar, and sacral spine, with direct tie-ins through the SI joint, making it an important exercise for back pain sufferers. Additionally, it helps develop thickness through the upper and mid back that's difficult to get through deadlifting or squatting alone, and helps improve scapular mechanics.

The row is typically intended to work the latissimus dorsi, rhomboids, lower traps, and erector spinae, and requires a large degree of stabilization from the rotator cuff. This means that if you're doing it correctly, you should feel the muscles between and below your shoulder blades working like crazy.

However, if you were to ask a dozen people in the gym where they feel it working, they'd tell you their elbows, biceps, wrists, shoulders, neck, hairline, glutes, and pretty much every part of their body except their lats.

Since no one's really working their lats, and the lats play a major role in low back and sacral segmental stabilization, we can logically deduct that one of the reasons many have a bad back is due to poor kinaesthetic awareness of their own spinal and scapular positioning on different movements. Maybe it's a chicken versus the egg debate, but the end result is still the same.

People tend to approach the dumbbell row with a kyphotic thoracic spine, posterior pelvic tilt, head too low or too high, elbow flared out to the side, wrist curling at the end to get extra height on the lift, massive torso rotations, jerk-pulls to use momentum for the last little pull, and any number of other movements that could be considered anything but a row.

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 09:16:53 AM »

[ Invalid YouTube link ]
according to the pros you need to row to the hip not to the chest

if you want to build lat, not rhomboids

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 08:16:22 AM »
Of course, you can always throw in the "genetic predisposition" card.

Baby got back?