Author Topic: top tips for sore shoulderd peoples trying to train the chest pecs  (Read 16281 times)

Melkor

• Getbig III
Re: top tips for sore shoulderd peoples trying to train the chest pecs
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 11:38:05 AM »
i started this and totaly forgot about it...

ok, heres my little rehab routine... plus a few movements that seem to keep things healthy..

1st off, buy resistance bands... they work so much better for external/internal rotations, i see people using dumbels and cringe at the form and weight used..

2nd off... use less weight on everything generally, youd be surprised how better you feel.. i used to be a total hardcore HIT guy, now im happy pumping away with a moderate weight for a few sets

external rotations with band 3 x 20, internal rotations 3 x 20( arms at right angle, jammed into body)
door way stretches ( arm at right angle, pressure applied to forearm, hold stretch for 5/10 secs )
scapular rows 3 x 15 ( use cable row set on highest level, very moderate weight,row into upper chest area, wide overhand grip, hold squeeze )
scapular presses 3 x 15 ( either from press up position or on dip bars )

i have also used broomshank stretches in the past, they do help improve flexibility but can be servere depending on how sore the injured area is..

ive also found stopping overhead pressing helps alot, changing my form on rear delt db laterals also, so im letting my shoulder blades fully stretch and contract at the top ( helps to use less weight and keep arms at more of an angle )

check your posture, if you walk around slouched, with your shoulders forward your asking for trouble.. its sounds gay, but try and walk with your chest forward, shoulders back

starting chest workouts with a pump.. a few sets of pressups against the db rack realy squeezing those pecs together and getting the blood going

set your chest position and keep it fixed, expanded rib cage etc... also use less weight and stop the movement when you can no longer hold that form

dont use severe angles for any of your chest movements,,, keep it to a slight incline or decline

Yes this was key for me, resistance bands are the best at loosening up the shoulders. Band pull aparts and dislocations before, between sets and after every training session. A lot of shoulder issues arise simply because of a muscle/strength imbalance in the shoulder girdle from too much pressing. Rows of all kinds, especially strict BB and DB rows go along way in improving shoulder health.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 09:42:20 AM »
I've got to add to this....

I've found plain old push Ups several times per week seem to keep things stable also, I think the shoulder problem comes from having your shoulder girdle restricted as the barbell ir dbell forces you into the bench..

So days off the gym I'll do 5 sets of press Ups, I don't kill my self either , 30 odd reps a set, somtimes less, I usualy do 5 sets of crunches too

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 09:53:27 AM »

I've found plain old push Ups several times per week seem to keep things stable also, I think the shoulder problem comes from having your shoulder girdle restricted as the barbell ir dbell forces you into the bench..

So days off the gym I'll do 5 sets of press Ups, I don't kill my self either , 30 odd reps a set, somtimes less, I usualy do 5 sets of crunches too
with shoulder problems(one shoulder) i found i could do good old fashioned push ups. You could very well be correct.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 09:58:27 AM »
Also i have noticed far fewer injuries using Dips than Flat Barbell Bench press. always found Decline press better too.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 10:01:08 AM »
If you've ever looked thru a mirror and done a pressing action and see how much all those back move and contract, and then think how that movement is restricted...

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »
Dips used to be a big fave of mine, but I've gad terrible ac joint problems, so I stay clear just to be on the safe side

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 10:11:10 AM »
I use Press up Bars and mostly with a neutral hand position, although hands rotated inwards are supposed to be more effective. True what you are saying.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2014, 10:57:47 AM »
I've actualy thought about buying some, and an abb wheel just for a bit of a change..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 11:36:41 AM »
I've actualy thought about buying some, and an abb wheel just for a bit of a change..
yeah the Ab wheel i have used or with an ez bar doing the same thing. not really for me. like to do good old bench crunches and hanging knee raises.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 11:38:22 AM »
Is an ab wheel good for your shoulder though? can be good or bad.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2014, 12:50:27 PM »
I've never used one, might be a one off experiment....

Var City

• Getbig IV
  • Perennially Man-Diming
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2014, 12:56:14 PM »

i do push ups every day, sets of 25 with pauses @ 5 in full and mid extension

that's coming from one of the bigger guys here

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »

I've never used one, might be a one off experiment....
 ;D I hope not ...you Geordie boys  ;D

monstermunch

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2014, 05:11:32 PM »
Did you get your resistance bands online?

Had many shoulder issues, been trying the things you've mentioned - this is a decent article which expands on the press up and scapula pulls.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/pushups_face_pulls_and_shrugs

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2014, 12:16:43 AM »
Yeh off ebay, cheap as fuck..regular pressups have helped me alot tho.......

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2014, 03:41:46 PM »
i do push ups every day, sets of 25 with pauses @ 5 in full and mid extension

that's coming from one of the bigger guys here
do you feel push ups and dips are superior exercises for the serratus anterior?

in fact other than maybe pullovers are there any exercises that work this muscle?

monstermunch

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2014, 04:02:44 PM »
do you feel push ups and dips are superior exercises for the serratus anterior?

in fact other than maybe pullovers are there any exercises that work this muscle?

In a plank position, drive up through your elbows like a press up.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2014, 03:25:22 AM »
I've always called those scapular presses, you can do same movement on the dipping bars, or especialy on those padded types you use for supported leg raises

Let your self sink then drive up through the elbows/forearm just as you would in the plank position

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2014, 07:07:29 PM »

I found the same thing with push ups. My shoulder is shot but I'm doing push ups in addition to typical chest stuff and my shoulder feels better.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2014, 04:00:42 PM »
Good stuff. I have one that I'm surprised no one mentioned maybe because it's so obvious.

Do more warm up sets.

Most people start with the bar and work up progressively from there.

Do two sets with the bar and two sets with next weight you would normally use.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2014, 08:40:31 AM »
Us sore shoulderd peoples are masters of the prolonged warm up and stretch routines of peace...