Author Topic: MMA Fighter dies cutting weight - 17lbs in 3 days  (Read 14660 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
MMA Fighter dies cutting weight - 17lbs in 3 days
« on: September 26, 2013, 06:35:41 PM »
Nova Uniao flyweight fighter Leandro Souza passed away while cutting weight Thursday for Friday's Shooto Brazil 43 card in Rio de Janeiro. Souza reportedly passed out at the weigh ins, and was transported to the hospital, where he was declared dead.

Nova Uniao founder and Shooto Brazil president Andre Pederneiras announced the tragic news, via his Facebook.

"It is with great regret that we hereby report the death of the Leandro Caetano de Souza. The athlete died in Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro. The reasons are not yet known. We would like to express condolences to all friends and family."

Further details will be posted as they come available, but the story is an old, tragic one.

Cutting weight hard had been a staple of collegiate and high school wrestling programs for generations. Then, late in 1997, three wrestlers died in a month. SI had the story:

He died crawling to the scale. Glassy-eyed and pale, his legs too weak to hold him after he had shed nearly 17 pounds in three days, Jeff Reese collapsed and expired on the cold floor of a locker room in Crisler Arena on Dec. 9 in Ann Arbor.

Reese, a junior at Michigan trying to make weight in the 150-pound class for a wrestling meet against Michigan State, spent the last two hours of his life in a plastic suit, riding a stationary bike in a room in which the heat was cranked up to 92. He was the third college wrestler to die in 33 days. Billy Jack Saylor, a freshman at Campbell University in Buies Creek, N.C., and Joseph LaRosa, a senior at Wisconsin-La Crosse, died in November while cutting weight. Though the official causes of their deaths varied, Reese, Saylor and LaRosa died of the same thing: the self-inflicted torture of drastic weight loss, college wrestling's ugly secret.

Read entire article...

In response to the three deaths, the NCAA took a number of steps to make wrestling safer, including:
•Banning training in a room hotter than 80 degrees:
•Banning self-induced vomiting;
•Banning extensive food or fluid restrictions;
•Requiring hydration tests:
•Requiring body fat checks; and,
•Restricting the amount of weight that can be lost.

Following the NCAA's lead, high schools too instituted a variety of precautions.

Now, attorney Erik Magraken in his CanadianMMALawBlog.com argues that Mixed Martial Arts should not wait for three deaths in 33 days due to weight cutting.

It is important to introduce forward thinking legislation instead of waiting for a tragedy to occur before bringing legal change.  This leads to today’s topic, rapid weight loss in combat sports and foreseeable tragedy.

MMA, as with all weight-restricted sports, comes with a risk that athletes will subject themselves to rapid weight loss techniques in order to make their fighting weight.  These ‘brutal weight cuts’ are well documented at MMA’s highest level.  This in turn leads to many MMA athletes fighting in a dehydrated state.  This comes with increased risk of fighter injury including increased risk of traumatic brain injury.  With this in mind it is worth examining the justification for weight classes in the first place and discuss whether fights following rapid weight loss should be tolerated.

As MMA has grown in popularity so has legislative oversight of the sport.  These two developments go hand in hand with a proper legal framework helping legitimize the sport in turn creating a foundation on which the sport can grow.  One of the first regulatory developments which has helped legitimize MMA in the public’s eye was the introduction of weight classes.  At their core, weight classes exist for fighter safety.  The risk of injury grows with weight discrepancy among athletes.

Appreciating that fighter safety is the core reason behind weight classes, rapid weight loss is a phenomenon that needs to be addressed. Failing to address this issue undermines the entire foundation underlying weight classes.

Studies show that rapid weight cutting (ie- more than 5% of body weight) lead to increased participant injury risk in combat sports. As noted by Dr. Benjamin, a simple solution to address this issue is to require certain weight metrics from 30 days out from a fight.

The MMA community should not wait for a tragedy to occur, as did in the 1990′s with NCAA wrestling, before addressing this issue.  Unless safeguards are built in some athletes will continue to undertake dangerous methods to make weight.  Stakeholders in the MMA community, be it event organizers or legislative bodies, should take proactive steps to address this reality.  Not only will this result in competition more reflective of an athlete’s ‘true’ weight, it will promote fighter safety.

Which jurisdiction or organization will have the foresight and initiative to address this issue first?

Read entire article...

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/439049/Fighter-in-Brazil-dies-from-cutting-weight

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
Re: MMA Fighter dies cutting weight - 17lbs in 3 days
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 06:46:05 PM »
 :-X

R.I.P.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 06:47:53 PM »
17 lbs in 3 days? wow

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 06:48:44 PM »
17 lbs in 3 days? wow

How does that even happen?

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 06:52:09 PM »
How does that even happen?

MMA has become a lot like college wrestling. You want to get in the lowest weight class possible, so you can be the bigger fighter. Sadly, this is a by-product. R.I.P.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 06:52:26 PM »

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 06:55:35 PM »
How much did he weigh before cutting weight?

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »
hope that was worth it

WalterWhite

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 07:00:08 PM »
Sad.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 07:07:42 PM »

A

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 07:10:48 PM »
why you copy my death brah

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 07:16:15 PM »
What happens?  The heart gets taxed from lack of hydration? 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 07:22:56 PM »
well, it depends, if he used diuretics, it can be so many indirect related issues.

but yeah diuretics when dehydrated is bit dangerous.

drop dead dangerous, not "might get bitch tits"-dangerous

Diuretics are tested. It's not diuretics anyway.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 07:33:06 PM »
Over and over again I preach to every fighter at every MMA seminar I have given around the country, I have always said there is ZERO reason to dehydrate if you know when the fight is. It's an old school 1950's wrestling mentality. I NEVER take a fighter that's less than 8 weeks out and that even depends on where their weight is. This fighter's weigh in is tomorrow, he not once had to cut water is 2lbs below his fight weight. When everyone else is suffering to make weigh, he'll be drinking and eating right up to the weigh in. Plus he's stronger now than he was the day he started his camp..

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 07:35:07 PM »
Over and over again I preach to every fighter at every MMA seminar I have given around the country, I have always said there is ZERO reason to dehydrate if you know when the fight is. It's an old school 1950's wrestling mentality. I NEVER take a fighter that's less than 8 weeks out and that even depends on where their weight is. This fighter's weigh in is tomorrow, he not once had to cut water is 2lbs below his fight weight. When everyone else is suffering to make weigh, he'll be drinking and eating right up to the weigh in. Plus he's stronger now than he was the day he started his camp..

do you ever preach to these black fighters about your racism ???

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 07:38:32 PM »
What happens?  The heart gets taxed from lack of hydration?  

Organ failure. Everything begins to shutdown without that life sustaining h2o. Everything red lines until something gives out. If they happen to get you to the hospital soon enough you'll still be going through kidney failure.

Weight cutting is particularly hard on the kidneys.
A

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 07:55:59 PM »

do you ever preach to these black fighters about your racism ???

Unless you have something of significants to contribute, I suggest you stfu.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 07:57:07 PM »
Organ failure. Everything begins to shutdown without that life sustaining h2o. Everything red lines until something gives out. If they happen to get you to the hospital soon enough you'll still be going through kidney failure.

Weight cutting is particularly hard on the kidneys.

These people know when the fight is fom 8 weeks out right?

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 07:58:09 PM »

Hahaa , holy shit Nails , are you gonna take that ?

Nails

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 07:58:21 PM »

he probably didn't have medical insurance to go to the doctor monitor his heart

Obamacare would have saved his life

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 08:00:49 PM »
These people know when the fight is fom 8 weeks out right?

MMA is very young sport. It's also very injury prone. You can get a call at any time and often for multiple divisions.

You can always say no tho. It's just they wont be calling you after that unless you're a big name.
A

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
he probably didn't have medical insurance to go to the doctor monitor his heart

Obamacare would have saved his life

You do realize that this happened in brazil where they have a socialized universal healthcare system, right?
A

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2013, 08:25:49 PM »
its worth pointing out that the flyweight division is the 112s. meaning his 17lb were, in all likelihood, almost 15% of his bodyweight, the same as a 200lb guy trying to lose 30lb in three days, which is insane, ESPECIALLY at that level of leanness.

bigger guys can drop 10-15lb of water in a day and soak it back up no problem, but a little guy like that trying to crunch down that far is just asking for trouble.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2013, 08:35:44 PM »

you obviously don't understand WHY they do it that way. it's for weight advantage, and high-level athletes are very, very good at it, be they fighters or powerlifters or whatever. yes, there's suffering involved for a short period of time, but you're not going to burn off muscle during that short period of time and unless you have to step on the scale a half hour before the event you have plenty of time to get your electrolytes back.

It's not a matter of not being able to diet down hard enough. these guys intentionally maintain a weight 10-ish pounds over their weight class, then drop 10lb of water, skate in under the cutoff, and come back for the event back up at their normal weight. there are stories of record-breaking lifters weighing over 180lb managing to squeeze into the 165s (oleksander kutcher springs to mind).

so while your guy is all happy that he's fighting at 2lb under with no cutting, his opponent is going to be 10lb OVER the weight class once he gets his water back in. meaning your guy is, in all likelihood, giving up 10 pounds of muscle to his opponent all because you thought the situation was that they just didn't diet hard enough early enough. oops.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2013, 08:36:28 PM »
its worth pointing out that the flyweight division is the 112s. meaning his 17lb were, in all likelihood, almost 15% of his bodyweight, the same as a 200lb guy trying to lose 30lb in three days, which is insane, ESPECIALLY at that level of leanness.

bigger guys can drop 10-15lb of water in a day and soak it back up no problem, but a little guy like that trying to crunch down that far is just asking for trouble.

Yeah I was thinking the same, 17 lbs for a MMA fighter is a lot of weight!