Author Topic: MMA Fighter dies cutting weight - 17lbs in 3 days  (Read 14668 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
Re: MMA Fighter dies cutting weight - 17lbs in 3 days
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2013, 08:36:58 PM »
Over and over again I preach to every fighter at every MMA seminar I have given around the country, I have always said there is ZERO reason to dehydrate if you know when the fight is. It's an old school 1950's wrestling mentality. I NEVER take a fighter that's less than 8 weeks out and that even depends on where their weight is. This fighter's weigh in is tomorrow, he not once had to cut water is 2lbs below his fight weight. When everyone else is suffering to make weigh, he'll be drinking and eating right up to the weigh in. Plus he's stronger now than he was the day he started his camp..

So, what would Silva weigh when he actually gets in the cage? He fights in 185, but, looking at him, I would think he was a 205lb fighter.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 08:40:27 PM »
So, what would Silva weigh when he actually gets in the cage? He fights in 185, but, looking at him, I would think he was a 205lb fighter.

he may very well be 200 when he actually fights. that's the whole reason these guys do it, so they can fight heavier than the weight cutoff. it's not being lazy with dieting, it's VERY strategic.

the trainer

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2013, 09:26:27 PM »
Over and over again I preach to every fighter at every MMA seminar I have given around the country, I have always said there is ZERO reason to dehydrate if you know when the fight is. It's an old school 1950's wrestling mentality. I NEVER take a fighter that's less than 8 weeks out and that even depends on where their weight is. This fighter's weigh in is tomorrow, he not once had to cut water is 2lbs below his fight weight. When everyone else is suffering to make weigh, he'll be drinking and eating right up to the weigh in. Plus he's stronger now than he was the day he started his camp..

Word on the street is that coach tells the black fighter to take off his shorts so he can be sure how much he weighs, then he tell him to bend down and touch his toes it will make his legs weigh less, heard that some people are uncomfortable with this kind of coaching.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2013, 09:40:35 PM »
you obviously don't understand WHY they do it that way. it's for weight advantage, and high-level athletes are very, very good at it, be they fighters or powerlifters or whatever. yes, there's suffering involved for a short period of time, but you're not going to burn off muscle during that short period of time and unless you have to step on the scale a half hour before the event you have plenty of time to get your electrolytes back.

It's not a matter of not being able to diet down hard enough. these guys intentionally maintain a weight 10-ish pounds over their weight class, then drop 10lb of water, skate in under the cutoff, and come back for the event back up at their normal weight. there are stories of record-breaking lifters weighing over 180lb managing to squeeze into the 165s (oleksander kutcher springs to mind).

so while your guy is all happy that he's fighting at 2lb under with no cutting, his opponent is going to be 10lb OVER the weight class once he gets his water back in. meaning your guy is, in all likelihood, giving up 10 pounds of muscle to his opponent all because you thought the situation was that they just didn't diet hard enough early enough. oops.

I've been training fighters for almost 9 years. I understand.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 09:44:58 PM »

1. It's more complex that what magoo thinks.

2. Jay has instructions from me (as with any fighter) to not enter the octagon or whatever, no more than 8-10 lbs more than what they weighed.

galain

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 03:06:39 AM »
I've never cut weight before. Do your energy levels recover enough to actually go hard in a fight? I can't imagine, after dropping 'x' number of pounds in the last few days that you'd recover well enough to perform well, ever after rehydrating.

But I've never experienced it.

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 03:11:27 AM »
Diuretics of piss.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 03:18:15 AM »
How much did he weigh before cutting weight?

18 pounds

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 03:18:43 AM »
I cut 12lbs in 3days for a powerlifting show a few weeks back, thank you pgcl

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 03:31:19 AM »
I dont want to blame a dead person.
But why boxers and other fighter do this stupid thing?

MORTALCOIL

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 03:35:19 AM »
I dont want to blame a dead person.
But why boxers and other fighter do this stupid thing?

Bbers are so much smarter aren't they?

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 03:36:40 AM »
Bbers are so much smarter aren't they?

mmm you are right. :-\

mr.turbo

• Getbig V
  • Team Freedom
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 05:49:55 AM »
you obviously don't understand WHY they do it that way. it's for weight advantage, and high-level athletes are very, very good at it, be they fighters or powerlifters or whatever. yes, there's suffering involved for a short period of time, but you're not going to burn off muscle during that short period of time and unless you have to step on the scale a half hour before the event you have plenty of time to get your electrolytes back.

It's not a matter of not being able to diet down hard enough. these guys intentionally maintain a weight 10-ish pounds over their weight class, then drop 10lb of water, skate in under the cutoff, and come back for the event back up at their normal weight. there are stories of record-breaking lifters weighing over 180lb managing to squeeze into the 165s (oleksander kutcher springs to mind).

so while your guy is all happy that he's fighting at 2lb under with no cutting, his opponent is going to be 10lb OVER the weight class once he gets his water back in. meaning your guy is, in all likelihood, giving up 10 pounds of muscle to his opponent all because you thought the situation was that they just didn't diet hard enough early enough. oops.

That only matters if you care about winning...ooops!?  :D
"

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 05:52:33 AM »

do you ever preach to these black fighters about your racism ???

;D

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2013, 05:57:49 AM »
Dehydration.

I've lost 15 pounds in 24 hours before, all water.

8)

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2013, 06:12:04 AM »
You can't monitor the heart and kidneys with acute severe dehydration.  The organs will show nothing prior to the 24hr dehydration.  The danger is the % of water loss.  The kidneys are most at risk.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2013, 06:54:10 AM »
Dehydration.

I've lost 15 pounds in 24 hours before, all water.

8)

but you and okami are bbers, I guess you usually hold tons of water and you have more muscle/fat to loss.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2013, 07:12:22 AM »
17 lbs in 3 days? wow

i wrestled in high school (so homo) and guys would regularly drop 10 pounds every week for a match like it was nothing.  I had to drop 5 pounds a few times.   Not a huge deal, but when you're only 119 pounds lol, that's a decent % of body weight.

I can't see 17 pounds in 3 days being that huge of a thing for pro fighters - although medically I'm sure it is a huge deal, what is going on inside the body

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2013, 07:20:04 AM »
probably just gave him water after weighins and thought he would be fine. when he really needed potassium and sodium to restore the electrolyte balance in the blood..

dustin

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2013, 07:50:54 AM »
If you cut more than a few pounds over what you normally fluctuate in a day, your strength suffers tremendously. I don't know what compels these guys to try cutting so much weight at the last moment. Their performance will suffer. So any strength and endurance they might have had will be sapped by their cut. Doesn't make sense.

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2013, 11:15:16 AM »
RIP! I think the amount cut greatly depends on the individuals build. I use to cut for MMA and grappling contests. I would cut from around 208 to 190 in a day. Maybe I was just lucky to be able to safely do it, but for me it was all about eating the right foods leading up to the cut, then restricting water intake and no food for the day of weigh-ins. I'd usually walk jog with garbage bags taped to me to help me sweat.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2013, 11:45:16 AM »
What happens?  The heart gets taxed from lack of hydration? 

my guess is electrolyte imbalance.   potassium controls heart function, and too much in relation to sodium will stop the heart.  it is the imbalance more than the drop in weight.  many of the diuretics are potassium sparing, which can really mess things up.

I don't know too much about it, but if someone were attempting suicide, potassium overdose is the most gaurenteed way to do it.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2013, 11:52:49 AM »
my guess is electrolyte imbalance.   potassium controls heart function, and too much in relation to sodium will stop the heart.  it is the imbalance more than the drop in weight.  many of the diuretics are potassium sparing, which can really mess things up.

I don't know too much about it, but if someone were attempting suicide, potassium overdose is the most gaurenteed way to do it.

I think tbombz tried it by eating 40 bananas in 30 minutes or maybe he was practicing for another stuff I don't know.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2013, 12:39:52 PM »
 rip

very dangerous

joe riggs cuts a lot of weight

thought he was going to die against matt hughes

lots of people do it though

tito, rampage, etc

240_Iz_Nutz

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2013, 12:53:32 PM »
When I dieted last year, I would about 45 minutes on the stair master twice a day with a stocking cap and sweatshirt. Using a bunch of ECA. Then drink Powerade zero and water like mad right after. It worked real well, but I was eating a lot of clean food do, drinking a ton of green tea with Splenda, etc.