Author Topic: Cleans on Shoulder Day??  (Read 2312 times)

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
Cleans on Shoulder Day??
« on: December 26, 2005, 08:36:38 PM »
Lately I have been doing Clean and Presses on shoulder day towards the end of my workout.  I dont deadlift the weight and clean and press, i take it off the rack and than clean it up and than press it.

What do you all tihnk about this on shoulder day?  My only concern is that it might interfere with my lower back recovery from squats, deads, etc.
Valhalla awaits.

bigdoggym

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Re: Cleans on Shoulder Day??
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 09:08:30 PM »
Just started including clean & press on shoulder day.  Noticed increased thickness in shoulders and forearms.  Wouldn't worry about lower back if starting from the rack.

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 09:49:34 PM »
cleans are a great movement. Theye build explosive power like no other.

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 08:27:46 PM »
I have done hang cleans for shoulders before. I just gave them the spiffy name of "Cheat Rows". I did them inside of a power cage so I never had room to press.
Intensity; the measure of man

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 04:31:06 PM »
CAV how do you feel on Leg day??  Is your  back still sore?   Are you progressing??? 

XS

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 08:48:41 AM »
if you train deads heavy enough i doubt the clean and press will have much effect on your lower back. i do clean and press from the floor two days after deadlifts and it doesn't bother me. i can deadlift 500+ and then clean and press 200+ two days later with zero problems. some of my training partners have problems but they lack lower back/core strength. if it bothers you i guess you could use a rack. with heavy weights you will benefit from the "cleaning" part more than anything IMO, that's why i do them from the floor.

8)

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 07:34:08 PM »
do you always do them in your routine or just once in awhile
bodybuildersreality.com

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 06:54:16 AM »
do you always do them in your routine or just once in awhile

I do them in rotation with seated DB press for shoulders...every 4-5 weeks i switch between the clean/press and DB press. both is too much for me in one workout. the C and P works your entire body to some degree and is one of my favorite shoulder builders.

8)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 08:54:18 AM »
Of course anyone could do cleans & push/jerk presses from a set of pins off a power rack (about a mid-thigh high start) as their only shoulder/trap/upper back exercise but I surpose that would not be a conventional way of training for most  BB'ers. Too startling and unacceptable an idea for most of them.  And than again, the delts/traps and upper back could obtain an  unbelieveable degree of thickness and pure power fairly quickly. Not to mention the influence on building bigger biceps/triceps and a strong lower back & hips. And if anyone was crazy enought to do those clean & push/jerk presses twice a week for 3 or 4 sets of 7-12 reps they would just have to go to the trouble of buying larger shirts anyway. And they cerainly could do DL's in those same clean & push/jerks presses workouts, which would probably be a good idea.  I, myself, would rather do weighted medium grip (hammer grip) chins than DL's but some people think DL's are the only way to build a superior back. Good Luck.