Author Topic: Vic Martinez - The man who opened a gym. And another one. See page 3 for updates  (Read 11370 times)

Sean-DeMarco

• Getbig III
  • "A year from now, you'll wish you started today."
Re: V Martinez - Opening a new Gym
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2005, 12:32:58 PM »
I train at the same gym as Vic in Bronx, NY. Apparently the word is he is close to partnering in a new gym opening some time in April 2006

...Good for him. I'm sure he's learned from mistakes made in the past. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance. (If you don't beleive this, then just ask the folks who voted for George W. again.  ::))
~Sean-DeMarco

jem123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2005, 06:02:32 PM »
 As good a BB as Vic is, he seems like another Cormier or Titus to me. Trouble seems to follow him around. You are just waiting for the next drama.

That said, I do hope things work out for him and that members of his old gym that lost money can join for free. The least he can do. :-\

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2005, 06:03:42 PM »
I live beside the Brooklyn Bridge. Would you like to make a down payment on it?

Pumper is the Crook from the Brook?   :-[

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2005, 06:35:19 PM »
Yea maybe the second time around he'll learn to rip off his members more discreet.

newmom

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2005, 07:14:57 PM »
yeah, nice people rip people off all the time. ::)

well, he never did anything wrong to me and I dont know his side of the story.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2005, 07:23:53 PM »
Yeah trouble does seem to follow him but hes awesome I hope this gym goes well
bodybuildersreality.com

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2005, 08:01:44 PM »
Why would anyone join a gym a pay upfront for a years memebership?

Just pay by the month out of your account and if the gym folds you haven't lost more than a month's worth of membership.

If your gym is pushing an unrealistic special then chances are they are in trouble.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2005, 05:10:26 AM »
business fail everyday 
why make it so personal  lol

egoatdoor

• Getbig III
  • A thinking man's bodybuilder
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2005, 06:33:03 PM »
I guess this proves there are suckers born every minute.
Go hard or go home!

Freakzilla_2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2005, 06:35:34 PM »
I'll be goping when it opens up.

Freak :)

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2005, 07:37:31 PM »
I'll be goping when it opens up.

Freak :)

goping?!?!?!?!?(is that gay slang for checking out Victors ass?)

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2005, 07:09:14 PM »

goping?!?!?!?!?(is that gay slang for checking out Victors ass?)

is it big  i've never seen it

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2005, 07:28:20 PM »
if u meant "going" there freak................... . i wouldnt if i was you
Victors last gym was very hardcore (no room for 150 lb bantamweights getting in the big boys way)
sorry freak................... ..............try BALLY'S or CURVES

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2005, 07:46:40 PM »
don't forget the fatty boys.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Yes. Your retarted.
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2005, 07:48:31 PM »
if u meant "going" there freak................... . i wouldnt if i was you
Victors last gym was very hardcore (no room for 150 lb bantamweights getting in the big boys way)
sorry freak................... ..............try BALLY'S or CURVES

Load of shit Mike, all the pics from his gym always showed randoms in no shape

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2005, 08:03:48 PM »
Load of shit Mike, all the pics from his gym always showed randoms in no shape

i apologize............fre ak could rack weights/sweep up/spot people there
maybe he could work his way up to the juice bar..................... ...

egoatdoor

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2005, 08:33:46 PM »

I don't think it was very "hardcore". They had DJs, dance parties  and alot of B.S. aerobics classes there at night.
Go hard or go home!

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2005, 08:36:17 PM »
I hate when fanboys say things like "Vic was always nice to me."  No one is accusing Vic of being a nasty guy. In fact, he is a "nice" guy.  He'll say hi to you, take a picture with you, shake hands, even give you the man-hug that's so popular these days. WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH RIPPING PEOPLE OFF??

I guess it depends on your definition of nice. I think everyone who's met Kamali would say he's a nice guy too, but he has a lot more detractors on this board than Vic does and Kamali's never ripped anyone off or done time in the slammer.

You can't open a gym in Manhattan (real Manhattan below 125th street, not Washington Heights which is crack central) these days and expect hardcore lifters to be your bread and butter.  Don't know any hardcore lifters who can afford Manhattan rents (about $2500/mo for a 1BR)...usually you need a real job to be able to afford that kinda change. So you're talking about the B&Ters who live in Jersey, Brooklyn and da Bronx paying $600/mo rent to come to the hardcore gyms and they can't afford $1500/year memberships they charge at Equinox and LA Sports Club or even New York Sports Club.

Bottom Line: Expect the next gym to be yet another money-laundering, drug-dealing venture solely designed to hide illegally obtained income from the IRS and caring absolutely nothing about the suckers that pony up the cash to join.

By the way, if you got stuck with a useless membership at Vic's old gym, you can file a complaint with the Attorney general and the Dept of Consumer Affairs. All gyms are required to post a bond with the secretary of state and if they go out of business, you can make a claim for lost dues.

Special "Caveat Emptor" Ed
BigNationRadio.com

egoatdoor

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2005, 08:42:35 PM »

You can't open a gym in Manhattan (real Manhattan below 125th street, not Washington Heights which is crack central) these days and expect hardcore lifters to be your bread and butter. 

Excellent point. And how much is the lease payment on the building going to cost in high rent Manhattan? And then how many memberships are they going to have to sell just to cover that overhead? He couldn't afford the rent in Washington Heights, so how is he going to be able to pay for space in Manhattan?

Bottom Line: Expect the next gym to be yet another money-laundering, drug-dealing venture solely designed to hide illegally obtained income from the IRS
Special "Caveat Emptor" Ed

Its about time someone told the "real story" why bodybuilders own and operate gyms.
Go hard or go home!

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2005, 08:51:18 PM »
ed is correct 
email new york state attorney general elliot spitzer
if you have a beef
he's quite an extrordinary advocate for regular folks.
he will fucck em up good.

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2005, 10:33:25 PM »
i live in rochester now but i lived in inwood all my life. inwood is right above washington heights... some call it bronx-manhattan. anyway i went to victor's gym for a while and the highest the membership ever was was 250 a year. it was a pretty good gym but i always thought "how in the world he could stay open?" a gym had been opened in the same location right before victor's and the guy i think just took the money and ran. victor told me something like that. he was a nice guy. he gave me advice on stiff legged deadlifts one time and when the gym shut down i had stoppped working out for a few months. then i joined one called Astral fitness 3 subway stops away further uptown.... bronx. the memebership there was 400 a year. and they've been open a long time. the thing about these inexpensive gyms is that they want you to pay the whole membership up front. i'm in Gold's now and it's 39 per month... i got a special or something.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2006, 04:32:15 PM »
A lot of small independant gyms open without enough money in the bank to tide them over for the first 6 months when chances are they won't be breaking even yet.

A lot of them go for the $250 per year upfront m'ship to get quick cash but they'd be better off charging more and doing a month to month m'ship which will slowly build up to a pool of decent money each month you can rely on to pay the bills.

A lot of them lease brand new strength equipment when they should probably start out with some quality used equipment that would suffice for the first few years (most people wouldn't even care if it was used equipment so long as it works fine and the upholstery is in good shape).

Right now there is a 14 piece classic cybex circuit on ebay for less than 10 grand which is pretty good.

Victor should rent a smaller space, have no aerobics, put in as much cardio as he can afford and get some decent used strength and he'd probably make ends meet okay...

egoatdoor

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2006, 06:39:08 PM »
A lot of small independant gyms open without enough money in the bank to tide them over for the first 6 months when chances are they won't be breaking even yet.

A lot of them go for the $250 per year upfront m'ship to get quick cash but they'd be better off charging more and doing a month to month m'ship which will slowly build up to a pool of decent money each month you can rely on to pay the bills.

A lot of them lease brand new strength equipment when they should probably start out with some quality used equipment that would suffice for the first few years (most people wouldn't even care if it was used equipment so long as it works fine and the upholstery is in good shape).

Right now there is a 14 piece classic cybex circuit on ebay for less than 10 grand which is pretty good.

Victor should rent a smaller space, have no aerobics, put in as much cardio as he can afford and get some decent used strength and he'd probably make ends meet okay...

Great advice. Too bad Victor is too dumb to follow it.
Go hard or go home!

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2006, 08:07:38 PM »
GOOD LUCK VICTOR!!!
Deep Tissue Massage

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2006, 08:46:54 PM »
i would have no problem working out in his gym, i just wouldn't ever want anyone from his gym calling my cell phone or house phone....

That thing would probably burst into flames it would be so hot...