Author Topic: Lat pulldown for Biceps?  (Read 3085 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Lat pulldown for Biceps?
« on: December 28, 2005, 04:19:24 PM »
Well close grip palms facing you lat pulldowns hits the biceps pretty well from what I can tell, so today at my arms day I finished off with a few sets, heavy close grip lat pulldowns, like 2 reps a minutes wait then 2 reps, slow to the point where it nearly was a static hold for a couple of seconds... felt pretty good in my biceps.
You reckon this can be a good thing to add to my program? What kinda set, number of reps and time should I be experimenting with?

I just felt it overloaded the biceps pretty well and hit it differently than the regular exercises so it might be worth a shot from time to time.
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Lat pulldown for Biceps?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 05:05:04 PM »
Definitely - also use the same grip for chins.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 08:42:53 AM »
just make sure you let the lats stretch out at the top of the movement...all pulling movements work your biceps. squeeze your lats when you pull. i like 6-12 rep range and a nice slow negative with a stretch at the top.

8)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 09:11:36 AM »
Squeezing & stretching the lats doesn't make sense if the idea's to work the bis.

Do the opposite-shorten the movement by stopping prior to lockout, to maintain continuous tension on the bis. Bis will be on fire doing it this way. The tension's removed from the bis by locking out and stretching at the end of the movement.

Try both pulldowns & chins using the same palms facing in grip.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 12:29:18 PM »
Poliquin recommends doing these in compound sets with Incline DB Curls to hit the muscle from the insertion points.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 01:19:08 PM »
Poliquin recommends doing these in compound sets with Incline DB Curls to hit the muscle from the insertion points.

i found a good link on incline db curls, but not sure what you mean in compound sets?
got a link or something
thanks
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 01:23:21 PM »
Compounds are supersets comprised of 2 exercises for the same muscle-2 consecutive curl exercises, for example.

Supersets are useful to increase intensity, but first i'd suggest doing conventional sets until a further shock is desired.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 01:26:48 PM »
allright supersets, i get it
Z

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 04:39:47 PM »
i found a good link on incline db curls, but not sure what you mean in compound sets?
got a link or something
thanks

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=595161