Author Topic: what do you guys think of this tricep routine  (Read 3157 times)

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
what do you guys think of this tricep routine
« on: December 29, 2005, 02:49:13 PM »
hey guys
 i just wondered, about what you guys think about  my new tricep routine

close grip bench press 3 sets 6-8 reps
lying extensions 3 sets of 6-8
two arm db extension 3sets 6-8 reps
one arm db extension 3 sets of 10-12reps

I was checking out a ton of different tricep routines. and most pros that have huge tri's do two overhead exerize. so what do you guys think?? i've learned from Jay Cutler to  only do free weights., pushdowns dont do anything for me, bc i can do 25 reps with the whole stack

jorgen

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: what do you guys think of this tricep routine
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 03:01:10 PM »
not a bad routine.  close grip bench and skull crushers will get you size.  I got the most growth when i went heavy with skull crushers with  good form. however, this is extremely stressful on the elbow joint.  using dumbells on this excercise is also excellent.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 03:36:03 PM »
hey guys
 i just wondered, about what you guys think about  my new tricep routine

close grip bench press 3 sets 6-8 reps
lying extensions 3 sets of 6-8
two arm db extension 3sets 6-8 reps
one arm db extension 3 sets of 10-12reps

I was checking out a ton of different tricep routines. and most pros that have huge tri's do two overhead exerize. so what do you guys think?? i've learned from Jay Cutler to  only do free weights., pushdowns dont do anything for me, bc i can do 25 reps with the whole stack

maybe exchange one of the extensions for dips
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 04:07:24 PM »
9 sets is enough if you work-take out the 1-arm extensions. Stay with lying & seated extensions along with close-grips.

Use a DB for both lying and seated extensions-easier on the elbows, nice direct effect on the tris.

Close grips can be switched with bench dips, dips or pushdowns. On pushdowns use the lat pulley instead.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 04:09:53 PM »
if you can do 25 pushdowns with the full stack you are using the wrong machine/stack. You're using the one where you can also do chest extensions(fly's) right? use the one that also has a sitting-row on it

I also think that exercise is worthless if done on the 'easy' machine, but when done on the heavy one, it's great! it's also Kevin levrones favorite tricep exercise, at least he says so in MMM.

maybe exchange one of the extensions for dips

I second that
tank u jesus

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 04:59:51 PM »
i used to do a ton of dips, but found it  changing to load up my belts with a few plates. so i just got tired of them. i do push downs on a cable station. my gym has the weight stack that goes by 5's and thats it. i have throught about using the pushdowns like ronnie. ronnie uses the pulldown  part for pushdowns. i had workout in a gym where they have like a pushdown station. where you can only do pushdowns.

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 05:32:42 PM »
if you can do 25 pushdowns with the full stack you are using the wrong machine/stack. You're using the one where you can also do chest extensions(fly's) right? use the one that also has a sitting-row on it

I also think that exercise is worthless if done on the 'easy' machine, but when done on the heavy one, it's great! it's also Kevin levrones favorite tricep exercise, at least he says so in MMM.

I second that
I use the lat pulldown machine.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 05:46:44 PM »
As mentioned, you shouldn't be able to use the whole stack for pushdowns. Using a lat pulldown pulley the resistance feels much more intense and goes to higher poundages. If you don't have that, go with bench dips-they're at least as good as pushdowns or regular dips.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 07:21:50 PM »
Don't do the same exact Tricep workout forever. Through some dips in there or reverse one-arm pulldowns.
bodybuildersreality.com

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005, 03:46:34 AM »
I found that if i used cable pushdown station ( tho u can set it for curls cable laterals etc) i could do whole stack,did sets of 12 or more, but if i do pushdowns on lat pull down machine i cant use nearly as much weight for sets of 8 let alone anymore.
3x8 pushdowns on lat pulldown machine
3x8 closegrip bench
3x8 skullcrushers........... .should fry ur tris enough considering uv got shoulder and chest work throughout the week aswell.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

TNTBOOM

• Getbig III
  • die or diet
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005, 06:46:50 AM »
Dip DIp DIP

thats how i got my stretch marks  ;D ;D :'( :-\

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 09:32:04 AM »
I think you new tricep routine is redundant.  If dip's were preformed taking advantage of the direct line of tricep function there would be much better results gained by most everyone. When doing dips, with the major focus being on the triceps, the body must stay in a 180 degree position. Might have someone place a towel, belt, rope, etc around your ankles/knees, stand in front of you and lightly pull to keep your body straight up in that 180 degree angle throughout the dip. Also keep the elbows tight against the body, never have them flair out and away, that will reduce the work load of tne triceps themselves. Try for a 1  second dead stop at the bottom position of the dip, each rep. Add weight whenever possible but do only bwt for a week or so until you get use to (doing in right)  the 180 degree dips. Can also include Incline BB/DB tricep extensions after the dips. Try for 3 sets of dips and 2 sets of Incline tricep presses, twice a week. Or can do skullcrushers from time to time on the Incline bench, these are partial reps which can aid in tricep development. Good Luck.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2005, 02:20:13 PM »
Loading up a belt with plates to do dips, i see why you got tired of it. At the end of your tricep workout, do dips without any weight and just do as many reps you can. I do this and the blood just flows to the muscle, amazing pump from it.
tank u jesus

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 10:15:42 AM »
I would do the extensions at 30 degress to force the shoulders out of the movement.  Maybe some cables at the end for drop sets for burnout.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 10:53:44 AM »
Thanks guys for the input!!

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 08:18:03 PM »
Have you ever tried pulldowns w/a reverse grip (underhand)?

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 08:26:16 PM »
NOPE

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 08:37:56 PM »
Give them a try but put them at the end of your workout as a finishing exercise.You'll be able to feel them all the way down towards the elbow area.Make sure you keep the elbows planted at your sides when you try them.I prefer using both hands for these but you can also do them single handed.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2006, 11:50:21 AM »
mass builders for me

close grip bench
heavy weighted dips
two arm dumbell extensions
seated french press  (superior to the lying version for me)
-----

shape movements
pressdowns
rope extensions
one arm extensions

choice is an illusion