Author Topic: Need some advice on a Home GYm  (Read 3578 times)

Gambler

• Getbig I
  • Life is to Short to be SMALL!
Need some advice on a Home GYm
« on: December 30, 2005, 11:54:30 PM »
I am building my home gym, and was wondering if anybody knew of  any places on the web  were I could buy some Hammer strength , and body master pieces at a good price.  I am also  looking for  a good deal on some competition bumper plates .

Thanks,
G

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Need some advice on a Home GYm
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 03:01:22 AM »
try google. i typed in "used hammer strength"
i've also seen it on ebay
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 04:52:30 AM »
Ebay has a selection, especially if you're willing to be flexible & patient you'll save more-search using quotes on various alternatives such as "hammer strength", "body masters", strive, cybex, nautilus, etc.

For a home gym there's no reason not to consider less-expensive yet durable home versions-I've owned a couple of Powertec pieces, and can't tell the difference in function & durability with gym equipment. New and used prices are about the same in this case-equipment can be demoed through a local dealer via their website:
http://powertecfitness.com/.

Body Solid; the Powerlift is similar to a multi-station Hammer Strength:
http://www.bodysolid.com/

Ironmaster's Superbench with various attachments is the best multi-bench on the market. Their quick-lock dumbbells and self-spotting rack are also good:
http://www.ironmaster.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=2

There are also a number of gym equipment re-sellers. From my experience, the prices aren't great and the equipment's been heavily used. It'll often be "refurbished" which helps, but it's not the best alternative IMO:
http://www.fitnessrush.com/used_strength_equipment.html

For bumper plates check ebay, contact companies for local dealers, and search used locally:
http://www.craigslist.org

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Pros and Cons of Home Gym
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 10:07:37 AM »
Hi Gambler:

I have worked out regularly both at home and in the gym and know all the pros and cons of both. 

Pros of Home Gym:
1. Accessability.  You can work out anytime you want and don't have to leave home.  Also, resistance training is a "solo sport" and really you should compete against your own goals so getting into the gym scene right away gives you a bad perspective.
2. Equipment is good nowadays and really I think you get what your paying for with a 1-2k home system or just a good high quality flat bench with hi and low adjustments and a heavy duty olympic set.
3. Time Savings.  I think you can save at LEAST 45minutes a workout working at home because of commute time, etc.  Also if you work out hard you should shower afterwards if you are going to be in public but a lot of guys/gals (myself included sometimes) just leave and go to work and may stink even if you put on lots of deoderant/aftershave and clean clothes.
4. No HORRIBLE gym music.  Gym music is the worst, IMO.  There are gyms that play CD's that are in tune with powerlifting or bodybuilding but they are rare.  The music is geared towards the gang wanna-be that walks in and joins up then comes back 3-4 times a month.  I once went to a gym that didn't play music...it was $102 a month in a really high end area but it was worth it.

Cons of Home gym (also pros of professional gym):
1. Again, you save a little time in your workout working at the GYM because of changing dumbells and whatnot.  It is probably only 10 minutes for a 2hr workout though.
2. Motivation.  Here going to the gym can keep you competitive and motivated to get strong and stay on your goals.  Personally I think you meet a lot of great people at the gym that can teach you a lot about fitness and life.
3. Training partners.  Again, training partners are easy to find at the gym.  You can find someone about at your level and intensity and pull each other along. 
4. Consistency.  Again, being consistent can sometimes come from the gym atmosphere.  Others there know you and watch you and vice-versa so you should be able to keep in pace with them and yourself.
5.  The ONE exercise I find you cannot get at home is the leg press, unless you want to shell out 1200 for a decent hip sled.

This all said I really enjoy working out at home and at the gym.  My wieghts are in my carport so I have a nice garden there off the carport and being SoCal its always nice out, even when its raining.  I have a BODYSOLID system, I think I paid 1400 in '99 and it is fine. I also have the full olympic collared long bars and dumbells, with about 400lbs of wheels.  My only advice though would be don't buy junk.  Buy heavy duty stuff, like you see in the gym.  If you can't afford 1500-2500 to get set up, just buy a 200 dollar bench and some weights and save up.

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 08:23:59 AM »
BigAlski--

I agree.  Body Solid makes some great stuff.  Key point for me in finally putting together a great home gym was to only buy stuff that I would use in a professional gym.  i.e. no BoFlex crap! 

I bought a BodySolid Smith press with all the attachments (high/low pulleys), Body Solid back machine, Nautilus commercial grade lying leg curl, leg extension and seated calf, PowerBlock dumbells, barbells and benches.  I'm about to purchase the BodySolid leg press/hack combo and BodySolid cable crossover as well.  My home gym rocks!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 08:29:56 AM »
Ya, as i mentioned Body Solid. Powertec is also good, it's worth considering both brands because they each make different stations that can make sense depending on need and space limitations.

The newer Bowflexes are actually very good-solidly made and comparable to these machines. I have one along with a Powertec and they're comparable. Unfortunately, Bowflex screwed themselves by the bad publicity generated by their first model, which gave a good workout but was poorly-built.

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 08:50:25 AM »
I looked at their leg press/hack combo too.  It would be worth the investment for sure if both functions were good.  I am afraid, however, since I have never seen or used it that each might be less than complete.  If you do get that piece can you please PM me on your views?  THNX  8)

SILVERBACK

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 08:14:17 AM »
I looked at their leg press/hack combo too.  It would be worth the investment for sure if both functions were good.  I am afraid, however, since I have never seen or used it that each might be less than complete.  If you do get that piece can you please PM me on your views?  THNX  8)

I demoed this piece last year.... didn't buy it. Just didn't feel right.

Nothing personal against BodySolid - I have several other pieces of their generally excellent equipment. Moral - demo before you buy !

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 08:48:28 AM »
Demoing a piece first is key-find a local dealer and try before buying, always. Take your time, even come back a second time and try again without hurry, before buying.

Some of the potential problems or advantages won't show up without a little patience in using it to the extent of having a mini-workout right there in the store.

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006, 09:50:22 AM »
Great advice guys!

WillRiker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Pros and Cons of Home Gym
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 05:07:20 AM »
Hi Gambler:
I have worked out regularly both at home and in the gym and know all the pros and cons of both.
Pros of Home Gym:
1. Accessability.  You can work out anytime you want and don't have to leave home.  Also, resistance training is a "solo sport" and really you should compete against your own goals so getting into the gym scene right away gives you a bad perspective.
2. Equipment is good nowadays and really I think you get what your paying for with a 1-2k home system or just a good high quality flat bench with hi and low adjustments and a heavy duty olympic set.
3. Time Savings.  I think you can save at LEAST 45minutes a workout working at home because of commute time, etc.  Also if you work out hard you should shower afterwards if you are going to be in public but a lot of guys/gals (myself included sometimes) just leave and go to work and may stink even if you put on lots of deoderant/aftershave and clean clothes.
4. No HORRIBLE gym music.  Gym music is the worst, IMO.  There are gyms that play CD's that are in tune with powerlifting or bodybuilding but they are rare.  The music is geared towards the gang wanna-be that walks in and joins up then comes back 3-4 times a month.  I once went to a gym that didn't play music...it was $102 a month in a really high end area but it was worth it.
Cons of Home gym (also pros of professional gym):
1. Again, you save a little time in your workout working at the GYM because of changing dumbells and whatnot.  It is probably only 10 minutes for a 2hr workout though.
2. Motivation.  Here going to the gym can keep you competitive and motivated to get strong and stay on your goals.  Personally I think you meet a lot of great people at the gym that can teach you a lot about fitness and life.
3. Training partners.  Again, training partners are easy to find at the gym.  You can find someone about at your level and intensity and pull each other along.
4. Consistency.  Again, being consistent can sometimes come from the gym atmosphere.  Others there know you and watch you and vice-versa so you should be able to keep in pace with them and yourself.
5.  The ONE exercise I find you cannot get at home is the leg press, unless you want to shell out 1200 for a decent hip sled.
This all said I really enjoy working out at home and at the gym.  My wieghts are in my carport so I have a nice garden there off the carport and being SoCal its always nice out, even when its raining.  I have a BODYSOLID system, I think I paid 1400 in '99 and it is fine. I also have the full olympic collared long bars and dumbells, with about 400lbs of wheels.  My only advice though would be don't buy junk.  Buy heavy duty stuff, like you see in the gym.  If you can't afford 1500-2500 to get set up, just buy a 200 dollar bench and some weights and save up.

Thnx for the advice as I am also thinking of setting up my own gym time. Work is getting crazy nowadays, so I can use the saved time.
One question, is it possible to acquire flexible dumbells - the ones you can adjust - which go over 120 lbs?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 05:37:17 AM »
Powerblocks go to 130 lb. maximum. If you need more than that I'd suggest just getting a few pairs of fixed weight or standard adjustable dumbbells of different weights.

http://www.powerblock.com/blocks.html