Author Topic: BB Legend: Berry Demey  (Read 12706 times)

MrUniverse

• Getbig III
  • Get bigger than the average Joe!!!
BB Legend: Berry Demey
« on: December 31, 2005, 09:17:07 AM »
What does he doe these days, is he still in the bodybuilding world active?
http://www.musclememory.com/cgi-bin/search?name=berry+demey&gender=M

MrUniverse

• Getbig III

MrUniverse

• Getbig III
Re: BB Legend: Berry Demey
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 09:32:34 AM »

MrUniverse

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 09:40:36 AM »

MrUniverse

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 09:43:49 AM »

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 09:54:15 AM »
I thought I help you out because almost al your pictures aren't working so here's one of Berry's famouse beach series... ;)
He lives in my country but I don't know if he's still involved with the sport..!
?

kaylos

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 10:36:38 AM »
Avoid posting so small pictures...  :(

DekeP

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 10:38:38 AM »
I've always been curious why Berry gave up a good bodybuilding career in America and returned to his native Holland.  But while I don't know what he is doing now, a few years ago I found a "tribute" website run by a female fan of his who reported that he was out of bodybuilding.  The site had some of his current pictures, though, and although he was clothed in them he looked trim and fit

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 11:05:04 AM »
Berry has a younger brother named Jorgen who also competed.

De Mey was the man and one of my favorite pros back in the day.  He took 3rd in the 1988 Olympia in Los Angeles, beaten only by the dynamic duo of Lee Haney and Rich Gaspari and was in the Olympia top 6 for the three years before that.

He joined Vince McMahon's ill-fated WBF and that pretty much put the kibosh on his IFBB pro career afterwards.

Berry is 43 years old now.

HERACLES

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 11:15:43 AM »
That damn WBF.

I also thought of that back then, WTF are these respected PRS going to tha ASSCLOWNS Mcmahons WBF. I  thougth it was a mistake, im surprised they didnt know better...Expecially Aaron Baker, and Achin ALbrecht..He was a pretty awesome pro too.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 11:17:23 AM »
Avoid posting so small pictures...  :(

Try posting A picture fuckface... ::)
?

jem123

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 11:17:33 AM »
I read somewhere that he had a rec. drug problem and that was why he gave up? Anybody know if that is true?

Shame if it was, great physique. ???

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 11:17:58 AM »
His brother still trains at Gold's Venice. 

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 11:32:52 AM »
I wish I had some pics of De Mey's legendary showdown with Bob Paris at the 1983 IFBB World Amateur Championships.  Talk about two genetic gods battling it out.

Nowadays what that makes me think of, is that more, new & better drugs have evened the playing field somewhat so that regular guys can blow themselves up and compete, but they still look like piles of shit (just bigger piles of shit thanks to all the drugs) and have no business competing IMO.

Back then you didn't even make it on a bodybuilding stage unless you had reasonably good genetics for building muscle without taking a ton of gear and growth etc, AND some degree of aesthetics, which have kinda been thrown out the window now.

Just like, not everyone can make it into the NBA or the NFL.  But apparently anyone can take enough drugs and try to make it into the IFBB, and there's a lot of pros there who really shouldn't be.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 11:46:39 AM »
I wish I had some pics of De Mey's legendary showdown with Bob Paris at the 1983 IFBB World Amateur Championships.  Talk about two genetic gods battling it out.

Dan,you just had to ask. ;D

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2005, 11:54:14 AM »
Dan,you just had to ask. ;D

Excellent, thanks!

The genetic goddess in the middle (original Ms. Olympia Rachel "Deelish" McLish for those of you who don't know) ain't bad either. ;D

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2005, 12:10:30 PM »
If i remember right,she was there to support her boyfriend at the time,Christian Janatsch,who was in the heavyweights.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2005, 12:32:50 PM »
one of the best..................(looked up to Berry in the 80's-early 90's)

Jadethegladiator

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2005, 02:40:27 PM »
Berry was a great bb & definitely hot!! ;D

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2005, 06:42:00 PM »
DeMey was an excellent bb'er in my opinion.Was a physique I looked at for inspiration when younger.To call him a legend however?Sorry, but I don't/can't call DeMey a legend.

Bones

• Getbig IV
  • 3rd pass thru the buffet line,had to undo my belt
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2005, 08:16:41 PM »

De Mey was the man and one of my favorite pros back in the day.  He took 3rd in the 1988 Olympia in Los Angeles, beaten only by the dynamic duo of Lee Haney and Rich Gaspari and was in the Olympia top 6 for the three years before that.

He joined Vince McMahon's ill-fated WBF and that pretty much put the kibosh on his IFBB pro career afterwards.

Hey Dan....here's that favorite picture that you had in your bath room as a young boy ;D
Vegas Buffets Rule!!

JMentis

• Pros
  • Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2005, 11:22:44 PM »

Berry De Mey..now that is a blast from the past.....I had the privilege to meet him back in 1986. It was during the European tour when they stopped in Greece for the Athens Grand Prix. Lee Labrada surprisingly beat Rich Gaspari.. It was a great group of guys and I enjoyed hosting them at my gym that week.

Berry lost the World Championships to Bob Paris and went on to win the World Games.

JM

Bones

• Getbig IV
  • 3rd pass thru the buffet line,had to undo my belt
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2005, 11:39:22 PM »
Berry was tall (6'1), stremlined, good looking, and had overall marketability.  He also had the same type of foreign appeal that Gunter has.  He was also muscled, but not to the point of looking like a cartoon or just looking silly.  He had a physique a lot more people would want themselves.
   I remember seeing him in person here in Vegas for a contest around the time Pumping Iron 2 was filmed...anyway I remember seeing him smoking a smog stick...that was the first time I ever saw a bodybuilder doing something unhealthy(not the last) ...also I don't think he was 6'1...I'm 5'11 and I remember that I was taller than him.
Vegas Buffets Rule!!

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2006, 01:56:20 AM »
    Hey Dan....here's that favorite picture that you had in your bath room as a young boy ;D

Hadn't seen that one before but thanks for sharing from your private collection saved on your hard drive. :)

Brnjezzo

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2006, 03:19:30 AM »
I know Berry de Mey very well. he used to train in the same gym as I did..Body Shape in Rotterdam Netherlands.
He also used to train there with my dad who was the 1983 World Powerlifting Champion (Held in Dallas Tx) and strongest man of the world competitor Ab Wolders.

Last time I saw him was some 3 or 4 years ago. Berry was still training only low key. He still looked impressive, rally aestetic and toned down but the thickness in his arms, especially triceps are still present.
He owned a nutritional/ supplements store for several years up to 4 ears ago when he quit that as well.
After that I have not heard from him again.

I know him as a very aproachable and he always gave good training tips.
Too bad that he did not achieve more with his potential as after that we have never had a beter body builder coming out of Holland.