Author Topic: List of pro wrestler's bench presses  (Read 96142 times)

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
Re: List of pro wrestler's bench presses
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2013, 05:12:47 AM »
Too many even numbers.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2013, 06:49:11 AM »
This list is fun to read but likely VERY inaccurate.

Ultimate Warrior was very strong. He once said he never went too heavy in anything for fear of injury, though. In the later '80s, I arrived at my gym shortly after he'd left, and my buds told me he was behind-the-neck pressing 275 like it was en empty bar.

Hulk Hogan would be crushed under 550 pounds, regardless of when this lift supposedly took place.

I watched Warlord press 455 for six PERFECT reps with no spot. He paused each rep on his chest with no compression. Total freak. Simply massive. His workout that day (that evening he was to wrestle in Toronto): squat: 315 for endless reps, 455 bench (as stated) and then 365 incline; again, like it was nothing. Oh, and he was super friendly and kind (gave me some spots on my dumbell presses and was very encouraging), despite looking like a scary behemoth.

I bench pressed with Brett Hitman Hart and he was using 225, and it wasn't super easy for him, either.

Arcidi was wearing an early version of a single-ply shirt when he hit his seven, I believe.

Kazmaier is more than likely the strongest presser of any of 'em. He hit six with 600 raw and he likely would have pressed 700 or more had he not torn his pec.

Doesn't matter who you are, a five bench isn't "easy", ever. Unless you're, like, Eric Spotto or some shit.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2013, 07:48:46 AM »
I heard Farooq never worked out but would just wander into the gym on occasion and lift insane weights.

Wish Scott Norton was wrestling in wwe. He as big and looked really strong. I thing he might be in Japan.
That's bullshit, Farooq is Ron Simmons he was a Great defensive lineman at Florida State! He played for Bobby Bowden! He also played in The NFL and CFL!

The Revelation

• Getbig II
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2013, 08:03:51 AM »
how many on that list are dead?

how many on that list actually benched the numbers claimed.

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2013, 08:17:03 AM »
Vader was supposedly freak strong also, 550 - 600 bench has been thrown about in many discussions. Warlord & Anvil were 2 absolute powerhouses, i remember a shoot interview with Honky & Valentine where they said if Jim went stiff with a forearm strike he would just about knock you out.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2013, 09:46:39 AM »
That's bullshit, Farooq is Ron Simmons he was a Great defensive lineman at Florida State! He played for Bobby Bowden! He also played in The NFL and CFL!

Maybe he was on Herschel Walker plan?

::)

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »
Wasn't Simmons so good they retired his number? Powerhouse, you dont look the way he did by training every once in a while.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2013, 10:09:51 AM »
Steiner absolutely could and did that bench poundage. I saw him with my own eyes do it and if i remember he did more than that.   He was pretty messed up with injuries when I saw him, but even still he was a fucking beast strength wise.  On a side note,  i fucking loved wrestling during the late 90's!!  It was actually entertaining.  Once McMahon bought everyone out, he killed wrestling.  No competition makes for a shit product. 

Steiner was a monstrous guy , strong ass mofo..

his brother Rick was also a freak.

Jim Anvil strong as fuck. put up 500+ bench.

Scott Norton was a 600+ bencher.

These guys were all built for power with a super compact ROM.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2013, 10:14:10 AM »
here's what i have personally witnessed....

Davey Boy - pretty accurate. never saw him do a max single, but 5 for 10 was a common workout for him

Road Warrior Animal - i spotted him doing close grips with five plates and a ten per side.  a few reps and perfect form. so 550 seems low for a bench single.

Chris Benoit - trained with him many times before he made it big. he was only about 230 at the time, but could do reps with 4 plates. he never touched his chest tho, which always bugged me. two inches shy of a full rep.

Bret Hart - during a very short period that he was trained by Grant McReynolds, he could do a four plate incline. wasn't that strong through most of his career.  he has a membership at my gym currently.

Dynamite Kid -  could bench 5 plates, but shouldn't have for the size of him. i think he could tap into some kinda psycho- strength.

Hawk - wasn't near as strong as Animal, but 5 plates woulda been pretty easy for him.

Steve Blackmen - big and lean, but never saw him train very heavy. when i was 20 he spotted me on a 350lb. attempt. the rep took me about 35 seconds and his hands never came off his hips. i think the only reason i made it was i thought i would die before he woulda helped. when i racked it, he looked totally unimpressed, and said 'i'd say thats about your max'.  lol

Jim the Anvil Neidhart - one of the most truly powerful men i've ever met.  even at 50 he could walk into the gym half drunk, and pause bench 4 plates like nothing without a warmup.

Triple H - trained at my gym once.  3 plate bench for a shaky 7 reps.  surprised how weak he was. (coulda been a downtime for him, i'm sure he was stronger at other times).

Right on!  :)  Good stuff.

The Anvil was also a real cool cat IMO.  Love the "physo-strength".
a

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2013, 10:54:06 AM »
Goodrum is not on the list athough he claimed pro wrestling once.

pro soloboy tenga wrestling?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2013, 10:57:29 AM »
here's what i have personally witnessed....

Davey Boy - pretty accurate. never saw him do a max single, but 5 for 10 was a common workout for him

Road Warrior Animal - i spotted him doing close grips with five plates and a ten per side.  a few reps and perfect form. so 550 seems low for a bench single.

Chris Benoit - trained with him many times before he made it big. he was only about 230 at the time, but could do reps with 4 plates. he never touched his chest tho, which always bugged me. two inches shy of a full rep.

Bret Hart - during a very short period that he was trained by Grant McReynolds, he could do a four plate incline. wasn't that strong through most of his career.  he has a membership at my gym currently.

Dynamite Kid -  could bench 5 plates, but shouldn't have for the size of him. i think he could tap into some kinda psycho- strength.

Hawk - wasn't near as strong as Animal, but 5 plates woulda been pretty easy for him.

Steve Blackmen - big and lean, but never saw him train very heavy. when i was 20 he spotted me on a 350lb. attempt. the rep took me about 35 seconds and his hands never came off his hips. i think the only reason i made it was i thought i would die before he woulda helped. when i racked it, he looked totally unimpressed, and said 'i'd say thats about your max'.  lol

Jim the Anvil Neidhart - one of the most truly powerful men i've ever met.  even at 50 he could walk into the gym half drunk, and pause bench 4 plates like nothing without a warmup.

Triple H - trained at my gym once.  3 plate bench for a shaky 7 reps.  surprised how weak he was. (coulda been a downtime for him, i'm sure he was stronger at other times).

That's hilarious about Blackman, and I can totally see him doing that.

Triple H's "physique" has always been up and down over the years, no doubt depending on what and when he was running. I suspect he "could" throw up some decent weight at the right times.

Dynamite and Davey abused the shit out of any compounds they could get their hands on, which is how they both fukked themselves up royally later on.

My buddy trained with Warlord once back in Terry's prime. This was in an old-school power lifting gym with lots of impressive lifters. My friend said literally everyone in the place stopped to watch in awe of Terry's working sets, which weren't even his max!

Bret probably handled bigger poundages when he ran shit in his early WWF days. He was noticeably bigger then, and displayed signs of use.

Anvil was always crazy strong. He got his gimmick name after setting a record in an anvil toss event in Alberta, I think it was. Given his natural strength, it's crazy to think what he would have been like had he trained with serious intent. But, he was more concerned with partying and hard drugs in his prime - not that most guys weren't at that time.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2013, 11:11:15 AM »
Hogan 550?   

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2013, 11:14:34 AM »
guys like jim neidhart and rick steiner were just bruting freaks, tough as nails and could pick up a house drunk with no sleep.

don't make em like that anymore.

that list is a popularity contest more than anything. lol @ triple h getting anywhere near 405 for reps.

hogan 550 , oh brother  ::)

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2013, 11:43:31 AM »
i have an 81 Ironman mag that has an article on Jim Neidhart.   curly hair, baby face and clean shaven. he was with the NFL at the time.  the article said he had been invited to the worlds strongest man contest. when most of the regular competitors heard he was gonna be in it; they all boycotted. so they retracted his invite.

i used to party with Jim.  the amount of abuse he put on his system was uncanny, seriously i think most people would die of OD from what that guy did every single night.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2013, 12:04:02 PM »
caz and jon pol ran scared?

whitewidow

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2013, 01:19:44 PM »
Most of those claims are bullshit

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2013, 01:21:46 PM »
Hogan 550?   

Yeah, as Rob Fortress said, that's a bad joke.  One of the trustworthy Ironage guys said he watched Hogan train a few times.  Apparently his heaviest sets were with 405 for maybe 4-5 reps.

Wolfox

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2013, 01:34:45 PM »
Not surprised to her Triple H was weak. he's a perfect example of all drugs. That's why he's weak even when he's big. I remember when he was a skinny fat bum as Hunter Herms Helmsly.
A

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2013, 01:53:36 PM »
These are exaggerations.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2013, 03:06:35 PM »
These are exaggerations.
Some are and some are not. Did u read the other post?

leadhead

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2013, 07:25:38 PM »
Wasn't Simmons so good they retired his number? Powerhouse, you dont look the way he did by training every once in a while.

Yes FSU did and Ron was known to throw up big numbers.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2013, 07:31:41 PM »
Goodrum is not on the list athough he claimed pro wrestling once.

The best I ever did was 395 for one struggling rep....now I just do 225 for reps, sometimes less as I practically have no joints anymore.  I concentrate more on circuit training and aerobics to stay fit.
A

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »
Yes FSU did and Ron was known to throw up big numbers.
he was a big dude,had bad gyno in nwa/early wcw days.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2013, 07:52:35 PM »
he was a big dude,had bad gyno in nwa/early wcw days.
[/quot  He was a bad dude at FSU.

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2013, 09:38:08 PM »
Surely Eddie could have done more. He was pretty big later in his career.