Author Topic: List of pro wrestler's bench presses  (Read 96105 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: List of pro wrestler's bench presses
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2013, 06:01:58 AM »
How about Mark Henry?

Skandor Akbar's 500 pound bench is believable... I think he used to be a powerlifter and I remember Bill Watts commenting on about his weightlifting ability in an interview once, plus other articles about him mentioned his freaky strength. Ironically he is known as one of the all time iconic managers and not so much as a wrestler.
(I gotta remember to ask Karl Kox for a good Skandar Akbar story, I am sure he knew him well.)

I know people dog on Hogan about his strength but as mentioned earlier in this thread, in his prime he was still a very BIG man. I don't see why around 500 wouldn't be possible. 550 most likely a stretch though.

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
  • Better to look good than to feel good: ALWAYS
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2013, 06:52:15 AM »
How about Mark Henry?

Skandor Akbar's 500 pound bench is believable... I think he used to be a powerlifter and I remember Bill Watts commenting on about his weightlifting ability in an interview once, plus other articles about him mentioned his freaky strength. Ironically he is known as one of the all time iconic managers and not so much as a wrestler.
(I gotta remember to ask Karl Kox for a good Skandar Akbar story, I am sure he knew him well.)

I know people dog on Hogan about his strength but as mentioned earlier in this thread, in his prime he was still a very BIG man. I don't see why around 500 wouldn't be possible. 550 most likely a stretch though.

Totally.  Look at the shape Hogan  was in the early 80's.  He was a fucking monster.  I have no problem believing the bench number.  Still the freakiest wrestler I saw is still Scott Steiner.  Watching him train arms was crazy.  Not sure if he loaded them with Synthol because he was fucking strong.  Barbel curling with what most guys use for flat bench press.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »
Hulk was never lean by any definition but he was a huge fellá in his prime, he was "billed" (oh brother) at 6'7" 300 lbs, I would guess he was closer to 6'4" maybe 250-275.  500 lbs bench still seems like quite a reach for him though.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »

Ive seen a guy 230lbs bench 530, so whats so hard in believing 320lb Hulk Hogan benching 550?

Just using bodyweight/size as an indicator isn't much use. Also, a guy who weighs 230 pressing in the mid-500s is either heavily using and specifically trained, or he is using a blast shirt, single- or multi-ply.

Just because Hogan hovered in the early 300s bodyweight during his prime does NOT mean he was capable of moving 550 pounds off his chest. This is a HUGE weight and most usually very specific training is required to achieve such a feat.

It's like those who suggest Arnold must have been able to press 500 or more because he had thick pecs and large biceps.  ::) These types don't really understand strength, power and the other just-as-important factors that contribute to massive strength feats: neuromuscular efficiency, etc.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »
Hulk was never lean by any definition but he was a huge fellá in his prime, he was "billed" (oh brother) at 6'7" 300 lbs, I would guess he was closer to 6'4" maybe 250-275.  500 lbs bench still seems like quite a reach for him though.

The weights, no matter how heavy, were as good as lifted when he walked into the gym and screamed at the plates, "Whatcha gonna do, when Hulkamania runs wild on you??"
~

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:40 AM »
It's like those who suggest Arnold must have been able to press 500 or more because he had thick pecs and large biceps.  ::) These types don't really understand strength, power and the other just-as-important factors that contribute to massive strength feats: neuromuscular efficiency, etc.

x2, there is a HUGE neural component to strength (especially on one-rep maxes) that gets ignored around here pretty much all the time.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »
x2, there is a HUGE neural component to strength (especially on one-rep maxes) that gets ignored around here pretty much all the time.

Yeah, for a site devoted to muscle, mass and that sort of thing, many here haven't the foggiest when it comes to strength and its development, and the different factors that affect its acquirement.

P.S. For absolute strength, the neural component is JUST as important, if not more so, than the muscular mass.

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2013, 11:46:12 AM »
Point is, there is no requirement nor any expectation that those bench numbers are legitimate.  Wrestlers are not expected to be truthful, about wrestling, training, drug use, or frankly, anything else.  Poetic license.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2013, 12:50:02 PM »
Id like to see what stack these guys are on.

Back around 2005-2007 when a lot of online clinics were busted, it was revealed what certain athletes were receiving. Guerrero, Benoit and a few other big WWE names were mentioned. I don't remember the specific compounds, but it'd be easy to search.

Hogan loved Deca back in the glory days of Hulkamania (80's). It was revealed he received quite a bit when he took the stand during Vince/WWF's deposition for the steroid trial.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2013, 01:20:58 PM »

Back around 2005-2007 when a lot of online clinics were busted, it was revealed what certain athletes were receiving. Guerrero, Benoit and a few other big WWE names were mentioned. I don't remember the specific compounds, but it'd be easy to search.

Hogan loved Deca back in the glory days of Hulkamania (80's). It was revealed he received quite a bit when he took the stand during Vince/WWF's deposition for the steroid trial.

Vitamin D.

NYSTATEOFMIND

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigs Reporter of perverse news
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »
Bret Hart 415?  ::) ::) ::)
getbig or getgot

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2013, 01:32:23 PM »
Bret Hart 415?  ::) ::) ::)

yes, for about a 10 week period of his entire career.   he was being trained by  the late Grant McReynold's and actually did a four plate incline.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »
Point is, there is no requirement nor any expectation that those bench numbers are legitimate.  Wrestlers are not expected to be truthful, about wrestling, training, drug use, or frankly, anything else.  Poetic license.

"It's still real to me...Dammit!"

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2013, 01:47:37 PM »
Yeah, for a site devoted to muscle, mass and that sort of thing, many here haven't the foggiest when it comes to strength and its development, and the different factors that affect its acquirement.

P.S. For absolute strength, the neural component is JUST as important, if not more so, than the muscular mass.

Yep.

Besides, as I said, there were credible eyewitnesses who saw him struggle to do a few sets of low reps with 405.  Yeah, he was huge an all that, but then, so was Nasser ... and if memory serves, Mr. Fortress, you watched Nasser have a VERY hard time doing incline presses with his bodyweight (or thereabouts).  A 300-320 lb. Nasser packs waaaaay more muscle than Hogan could ever dream of, but there ya go.  Some big dudes are extremely strong, like Kaz.  Then you have your Dillets, Nassers and, yeah, apparently, the "Hulkster."

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2013, 02:51:43 PM »
But he slammed Andre! ;)

sancho ed

• Getbig III
« Reply #90 on: October 23, 2013, 09:31:13 PM »
hmmm....surprised no mention of cena.....triple h said he had to be one of the strongest dudes in wwe....

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2013, 06:06:14 AM »
hmmm....surprised no mention of cena.....triple h said he had to be one of the strongest dudes in wwe....
HE has perfect thickness/frame/build type for the big 3..

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2013, 01:22:55 PM »
HE has perfect thickness/frame/build type for the big 3..

He does exude strength and athletic power, yes.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2013, 01:26:40 PM »
Yep.

Besides, as I said, there were credible eyewitnesses who saw him struggle to do a few sets of low reps with 405.  Yeah, he was huge an all that, but then, so was Nasser ... and if memory serves, Mr. Fortress, you watched Nasser have a VERY hard time doing incline presses with his bodyweight (or thereabouts).  A 300-320 lb. Nasser packs waaaaay more muscle than Hogan could ever dream of, but there ya go.  Some big dudes are extremely strong, like Kaz.  Then you have your Dillets, Nassers and, yeah, apparently, the "Hulkster."

Oh, yeah. Nasser was about 320 pounds, quite lean, and he was not banging 315 off his chest on the incline for more than a few shit reps. I spotted the guy. Even taking into account that he was in a strange gym and out of his day-to-day element (factors that can very much hinder performance), this is weak stuff for a guy well over 300 pounds and pumping gobs of anabolic drugs into his system. 

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2013, 01:49:58 PM »
Oh, yeah. Nasser was about 320 pounds, quite lean, and he was not banging 315 off his chest on the incline for more than a few shit reps. I spotted the guy. Even taking into account that he was in a strange gym and out of his day-to-day element (factors that can very much hinder performance), this is weak stuff for a guy well over 300 pounds and pumping gobs of anabolic drugs into his system. 
thing is he was massive at 320 doing double his weight 640 is still lightweight when guys 250/275 putting that up.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2013, 02:00:10 PM »

Didn't Nasser claim strongest seated dumbbell press ever in bbing??

240_Iz_Nutz

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2013, 02:05:46 PM »
This list is fun to read but likely VERY inaccurate.

Ultimate Warrior was very strong. He once said he never went too heavy in anything for fear of injury, though. In the later '80s, I arrived at my gym shortly after he'd left, and my buds told me he was behind-the-neck pressing 275 like it was en empty bar.

Hulk Hogan would be crushed under 550 pounds, regardless of when this lift supposedly took place.

I watched Warlord press 455 for six PERFECT reps with no spot. He paused each rep on his chest with no compression. Total freak. Simply massive. His workout that day (that evening he was to wrestle in Toronto): squat: 315 for endless reps, 455 bench (as stated) and then 365 incline; again, like it was nothing. Oh, and he was super friendly and kind (gave me some spots on my dumbell presses and was very encouraging), despite looking like a scary behemoth.

I bench pressed with Brett Hitman Hart and he was using 225, and it wasn't super easy for him, either.

Arcidi was wearing an early version of a single-ply shirt when he hit his seven, I believe.

Kazmaier is more than likely the strongest presser of any of 'em. He hit six with 600 raw and he likely would have pressed 700 or more had he not torn his pec.

There was a guy I worked with that was skinny as hell all year. Then he would do some D-Bol for a few weeks and bench 225 for around 30 at around 180 lbs. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

Doesn't matter who you are, a five bench isn't "easy", ever. Unless you're, like, Eric Spotto or some shit.

240_Iz_Nutz

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »
What the hell. My computer is like a month old and acting the fuck up. What I posted was that I worked with this skinny kid that would do a couple weeks of D-Bol and would be benching 225 for around 30 at approximately 180 pounds easy. I would be willing to bet he couldn't even dead 275 at the same time.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: October 24, 2013, 04:19:36 PM »
Which getbigger has the strongest bench?

I believe cswol has the most verified reps with 225.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2013, 11:24:22 AM »
Which getbigger has the strongest bench?

I believe cswol has the most verified reps with 225.

verified?  :D