Author Topic: 2013/14 NBA Thread  (Read 151730 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
2013/14 NBA Thread
« on: October 23, 2013, 01:20:19 PM »
Opening day right around the corner.  Going to be another long season for my Lakers.  But I like this change. 

Vote unanimous to change Finals
Updated: October 23, 2013
By Brian Windhorst | ESPN.com
NEW YORK -- NBA owners voted unanimously Wednesday to change the Finals format to 2-2-1-1-1 after nearly 30 years of a 2-3-2 format. The change will take place effective for the 2014 Finals next June.

Commissioner David Stern called it an "easy sell" to owners to help add competitive balance and align the Finals schedule with the rest of the playoffs. To ease the transition, an extra day off will be added to between Games 6 and 7.

LeBron James and the Heat won their second straight title after rallying in Game 6 to force a decisive Game 7, both on their home court -- a scenario that won't be taking place again thanks to the owners' vote.
"There's been a sense among our teams that in a 2-2 series, it's not fair for a team with the better record to be away [for Game 5]," Stern said after the league's Board of Governors annual preseason meeting. "It's not fair for the better team in terms of record to spend as many as eight days away from home."

Stern said that one of the first conversations he had as commissioner in 1984 was with Boston Celtics president Red Auerbach, who complained about the demands of travel after several Finals between his team and the Los Angeles Lakers. Stern led the change to the 2-3-2 by 1985, which was also done to encourage more media coverage of the Finals.

As a bit of symbolism of the changing arc of the league during his tenure, he oversaw the change back in his last owners' meeting as commissioner. Stern is set to hand over the reigns to deputy commissioner Adam Silver on Feb. 1, 30 years to the day he became commissioner.

"It made sense to do it now," Silver said. "Events came together over many years and it reached a crescendo. The basketball people thought it was important and the business people stood down and said it was no longer necessary."

After several years of tense proceedings with collective bargaining that led to a lockout and a protracted struggle for the future of the Sacramento Kings that dominated league business last year, this owners meeting was generally lighthearted and used largely as an ode to Stern.

Tuesday night there was a dinner dedicated to him where several owners including the San Antonio Spurs' Peter Holt and the Indiana Pacers' Herb Simon toasted Stern. There was also a video tribute that featured messages from stars Bill Russell, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James. Stern was also presented with his own bobblehead.

"It was a warm and good evening, there were embarrassing photos from the last 36 years," Stern said. "What flowed over me that this was a great run."

There were several other pieces of league business covered:

• The enhanced revenue sharing system, including a more penal luxury tax, is working as far as the teams' finances are concerned. Stern said he projected 24 of 25 teams would be profitable by the end of the 2014-15 season. Even with some teams choosing not to focus on profit.

"I haven't looked at the Nets balance sheet but my guess is they're not necessarily going to be profitable," said Stern, referring to owner Mikhail Prokhorov's decision to pay an estimated $80 million in luxury taxes alone this upcoming season.

• Stern said a new arena in Sacramento was "going swimmingly" and is on schedule to be opened in three years for the start of the 2016-17 season. Stern is planning to attend the Kings' opener next week.

The commissioner said the Minnesota Timberwolves are in final negotiations on terms of a planned overhaul of the Target Center in the near future. Recently, Silver visited Milwaukee to make the point that the Bucks need a new facility and the owners reviewed the situation there. The Bucks have four years left on their lease at the Bradley Center.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9867672/nba-owners-unanimously-vote-change-finals-format

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: 2013/14 NBA Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 01:41:59 PM »
The Lakers have the best record in the NBA.  Can we end the season today?   :D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 12:11:54 PM »
76' ers 3-0 beat the heat who would have funk it mcw making fans forget jrue holiday in a hurry. ;D ;D ;D
F

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 12:21:12 PM »
sixers beat my bulls last night wadda mess fucken sixers  ::)

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
The Sixers and Suns are supposed to be tanking this season.  They're doing it wrong.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 10:04:52 AM »
One of the few highlights I'll enjoy this season.   :'(

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 08:51:41 PM »
[ Invalid YouTube link ]

sick

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 08:48:11 AM »
two teams in the east are above .500 terriblllleeeee. :'( :'( :'( heat and pacers.
F

afton

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »
One of the few highlights I'll enjoy this season.   :'(
thx rot the stuff - very funny!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 05:24:49 PM »
Anyone think LeCramp will not resign with Miami?  I doubt he leaves. 

Have no idea how this will play out for my Lakers.  Slim pickings on the FA wire.  At this point, I'd take Carmelo and whomever else they can get.  I'd also resign Pau and play him at the 5.  But I'm on the couch.  Mitch should do okay. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »
Surprised LeCramp is going back home.  It's the right thing the to do. 

Looks like my Lakers will swing and miss on all big name free agents this offseason. 

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 07:00:32 PM »

Looks like my Lakers will swing and miss on all big name free agents this offseason. 
Wonder why?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 11:59:29 PM »

lecramp?

what is your problem with him?  he's much better than that rapist "he jalen rosed me" ever once

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 12:56:57 PM »
lecramp?

what is your problem with him?  he's much better than that rapist "he jalen rosed me" ever once

E

I don't have a problem with LeCramp.  As I said, I think he made the right decision.  And as much as I'd like to take credit for the nickname, it came from Skip Bayless. 

Who is "that rapist 'he jalen roses me'"?  Ben Rapelesberger?  Kind of difficult to compare a basketball player with a football player. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »
hahaha good old rapesy, hi earl!!!

on another note the rockets went from possible contenders to rebuilding all within the course of 3 days. LOL I know we Houston sports fans are used to the contenders to rebuilding but thats fast, even for us...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »
Wonder why?

Why LeCramp is going home or why LA struck out in free agency? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 06:46:30 PM »

on another note the rockets went from possible contenders to rebuilding all within the course of 3 days. LOL I know we Houston sports fans are used to the contenders to rebuilding but thats fast, even for us...

I'd actually take Ariza over Chandler.  Will not score as much, but better defender. 

And thanks for giving my Lakers Jeremy Lin.  I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it.   :-\

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 11:44:37 AM »
I don't have a problem with LeCramp.  As I said, I think he made the right decision.  And as much as I'd like to take credit for the nickname, it came from Skip Bayless. 

Who is "that rapist 'he jalen roses me'"?  Ben Rapelesberger?  Kind of difficult to compare a basketball player with a football player. 

Kobe was on trial for rape and was charged, Ben was accused so big difference which you conveniently ignore

Kobe whined about his knee injury saying the guy that hurt him "jalen rosed" him because jalen hurt him years ago

Skip is the biggest troll in the world, you quote a guy that loves tebow yet trashes lebron

E

E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 11:46:04 AM »

Did clowney break a nail yet?

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 11:54:17 AM »

Kobe was on trial for rape and was charged, Ben was accused so big difference which you conveniently ignore

Kobe whined about his knee injury saying the guy that hurt him "jalen rosed" him because jalen hurt him years ago

Skip is the biggest troll in the world, you quote a guy that loves tebow yet trashes lebron

E

Oh I see.  You mean five-time champion Kobe aka the Black Mamba?  You can cry all you want about him and the false rape allegation, but he's a champion.  A winner.  Maybe LeCramp will get five rings in his career too, but probably not. 

Did Rapelesberger rehabilitate himself yet?  I haven't seen his name on the police blotter lately. 

Skip Bayless if funny.  He also called LeCramp the Frozen One (before he won two rings).  Hilarious.  And he knows his stuff.  I don't agree with everything he (or Stephen A. Smith) say, but they are very well connected, knowledgeable, smart, honest, etc.  But I do think their show is going a little too Hollywood for my tastes.  Too many actor and non-athlete guests. 

Memories . . . . :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »
The good old days.   :)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 04:15:09 PM »
Did clowney break a nail yet?

E
hahah he will be a contender for defensive rookie of the year, the only person I would have taken over him was bortles but thats ok.

Whats the over/under on the number of games rapesy makes it through this season? 9/10?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 04:15:52 PM »
I'd actually take Ariza over Chandler.  Will not score as much, but better defender. 

And thanks for giving my Lakers Jeremy Lin.  I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it.   :-\
hahah yea have fun with Lin, I dont know what they were thinking. Maybe its a marketing ploy to try and sell jerseys.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 04:56:27 PM »
hahah yea have fun with Lin, I dont know what they were thinking. Maybe its a marketing ploy to try and sell jerseys.

It's an expiring contract.  Trying to free up cap space in 2015 so they can have every major free agent turn them down again. 

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 02:39:52 AM »
It's an expiring contract.  Trying to free up cap space in 2015 so they can have every major free agent turn them down again. 

They seem pretty fixated on landing a big free agent.  In my opinion that is the wrong way to go.  They need to start drafting the right people and stop bringing bums in on the cheap and then letting them walk right away.  Even if you have a roster of bums, let them play together for a few years so they have a chance to grow together as a team.  One year, bargain basement mercenaries are killing us.  Clearing all this cap space, for who exactly?