Author Topic: 2013/14 NBA Thread  (Read 151731 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: 2013/14 NBA Thread
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2014, 11:21:22 AM »
They seem pretty fixated on landing a big free agent.  In my opinion that is the wrong way to go.  They need to start drafting the right people and stop bringing bums in on the cheap and then letting them walk right away.  Even if you have a roster of bums, let them play together for a few years so they have a chance to grow together as a team.  One year, bargain basement mercenaries are killing us.  Clearing all this cap space, for who exactly?

Overall, I agree.  I think the challenge in building through the draft is that a successful team will always be drafting at the bottom of the first round.  That doesn't mean they cannot draft good players, but it does make it harder to find that superstar talent.  Have to get lucky.  What they shouldn't be doing is repeatedly giving away their first round picks.   

I'm not sure who Kobe's replacement will be.  Might be in for another long stretch of mediocrity. 

One thing they absolutely need to do is remove Jim Buss from making basketball personnel and coaching decisions. 

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 09:32:11 PM »
Overall, I agree.  I think the challenge in building through the draft is that a successful team will always be drafting at the bottom of the first round.  That doesn't mean they cannot draft good players, but it does make it harder to find that superstar talent.  Have to get lucky.  What they shouldn't be doing is repeatedly giving away their first round picks.   

I'm not sure who Kobe's replacement will be.  Might be in for another long stretch of mediocrity. 

One thing they absolutely need to do is remove Jim Buss from making basketball personnel and coaching decisions. 

I feel like they did a good job with last years roster.  Guys like Swaggy P, Xavier Henry and Wesley Johnson can all play.  Marshon Brooks wasn't bad.  Young talent.  The injury bug bit them and they had, in my opinion, a bad coach.  He was constantly tinkering with the depth chart even with the guys that weren't hurt.  Nobody knew their role so they all just played for themselves.  Lets let some of them play together  for a while under a competent coach that will have them play a little defense and see how they develop.

So far our roster is very small for this coming year.  Our Center is 6/10 and power forwards are 6'9.  We need a 7 footer that can defend.  I would have thrown some money at Tyson Chandler but they couldn't because they were praying Carmelo would come to LA.  Most rational people knew that was a pipe dream.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 08:16:42 PM »
Oh I see.  You mean five-time champion Kobe aka the Black Mamba?  You can cry all you want about him and the false rape allegation, but he's a champion.  A winner.  Maybe LeCramp will get five rings in his career too, but probably not. 

Did Rapelesberger rehabilitate himself yet?  I haven't seen his name on the police blotter lately. 

Skip Bayless if funny.  He also called LeCramp the Frozen One (before he won two rings).  Hilarious.  And he knows his stuff.  I don't agree with everything he (or Stephen A. Smith) say, but they are very well connected, knowledgeable, smart, honest, etc.  But I do think their show is going a little too Hollywood for my tastes.  Too many actor and non-athlete guests. 

Memories . . . . :)

lebron would be 7 time champion if he played with prime shaq, the true leader of that 3 peat

nobody wants to play with kobe the rapist, as proven this offseason he's a scumbag in so many ways

can you provide an arrest record for ben please?  good luck finding something that doesn't exist, and it's even more hypocritical of you considering aldon smith and your qb was accused of rape this offseason, maybe think before you post in an argument you can't win

skip calling him lecramp and the frozen one aren't the slightlest bit witty, i don't hate skip but that is very weak trolling on his part

so you have good memories of a block in an all star game??  i guess that's all laker fans have left and will have for awhile

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 08:18:11 PM »
hahah he will be a contender for defensive rookie of the year, the only person I would have taken over him was bortles but thats ok.

Whats the over/under on the number of games rapesy makes it through this season? 9/10?

last year he played through his 2nd full length season

i think he makes it 13 games this year, based on his injury history

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 09:40:37 AM »
I feel like they did a good job with last years roster.  Guys like Swaggy P, Xavier Henry and Wesley Johnson can all play.  Marshon Brooks wasn't bad.  Young talent.  The injury bug bit them and they had, in my opinion, a bad coach.  He was constantly tinkering with the depth chart even with the guys that weren't hurt.  Nobody knew their role so they all just played for themselves.  Lets let some of them play together  for a while under a competent coach that will have them play a little defense and see how they develop.

So far our roster is very small for this coming year.  Our Center is 6/10 and power forwards are 6'9.  We need a 7 footer that can defend.  I would have thrown some money at Tyson Chandler but they couldn't because they were praying Carmelo would come to LA.  Most rational people knew that was a pipe dream.

I agree with all of this. 

I'm a little upset that I have to root for Boozer now.  I have disliked him ever since he scammed his way out of Cleveland years ago. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 09:44:07 AM »
lebron would be 7 time champion if he played with prime shaq, the true leader of that 3 peat

nobody wants to play with kobe the rapist, as proven this offseason he's a scumbag in so many ways

can you provide an arrest record for ben please?  good luck finding something that doesn't exist, and it's even more hypocritical of you considering aldon smith and your qb was accused of rape this offseason, maybe think before you post in an argument you can't win

skip calling him lecramp and the frozen one aren't the slightlest bit witty, i don't hate skip but that is very weak trolling on his part

so you have good memories of a block in an all star game??  i guess that's all laker fans have left and will have for awhile

E

LeCramp has two rings that he only won because he had to link up with two other star players. 

Kobe has five rings, including two without Shaq.  Those are the facts.  You can drink the hateraide all you want, but you cannot change history. 

And yes, I do think the nicknames Skip Bayless gave LeCramp are hilarious. 

Does this make you sad?   ;D

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 06:17:16 PM »
last year he played through his 2nd full length season

i think he makes it 13 games this year, based on his injury history

E
and even if he does he will still be a candidate for defesive rookie of the year.

catracho

• Getbig IV
  • I don't want to be "that guy"!
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 08:26:30 PM »
LeCramp has two rings that he only won because he had to link up with two other star players. 

Kobe has five rings, including two without Shaq.  Those are the facts.  You can drink the hateraide all you want, but you cannot change history. 

As great as Kobe was, he had a great team also!  You think he didn't need 2 - 7fts? allstar Gasol or Bynum or sixth man of the year Odom?  Look at his stats before he got hurt, he was playing at an incredible level, but his team sucked and how far has he gotten?  Who was the best player LeBron/Lecramp/Lewhatever played with?  Mo Williams?  If LBJ had that team I believe he would have won also.  He went to Miami because Pat Riley did what the Cavs wouldn't do, get players!

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 01:16:59 AM »
As great as Kobe was, he had a great team also!  You think he didn't need 2 - 7fts? allstar Gasol or Bynum or sixth man of the year Odom?  Look at his stats before he got hurt, he was playing at an incredible level, but his team sucked and how far has he gotten?  Who was the best player LeBron/Lecramp/Lewhatever played with?  Mo Williams?  If LBJ had that team I believe he would have won also.  He went to Miami because Pat Riley did what the Cavs wouldn't do, get players!

Bynum didn't play at all in the 2008 or 2009 finals and was injured and barely played in 2010.  Lamar was 6th man of the year in 2011, a year in which the team did not go to the finals.  As good as Odom was, you never knew what you were going to get from him on any given night.  Very streaky and not good in the Triangle offense as Phil Jasckson has said.  Kobe's first three rings were basically him and Shaq and the last two was basically him and Gasol.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 01:22:13 AM »
I agree with all of this. 

I'm a little upset that I have to root for Boozer now.  I have disliked him ever since he scammed his way out of Cleveland years ago. 

I haven't watched a lot of Boozer but what I have seen and heard I don't like.  At least we aren't paying through the nose for him like Chicago did.   He's not costing us much at all.  We really need Randle and Clarkson to play well.  I hope those two pan out.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 01:37:06 PM »
Bynum didn't play at all in the 2008 or 2009 finals and was injured and barely played in 2010.  Lamar was 6th man of the year in 2011, a year in which the team did not go to the finals.  As good as Odom was, you never knew what you were going to get from him on any given night.  Very streaky and not good in the Triangle offense as Phil Jasckson has said.  Kobe's first three rings were basically him and Shaq and the last two was basically him and Gasol.

Pray ain't lyin. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 01:38:16 PM »
I haven't watched a lot of Boozer but what I have seen and heard I don't like.  At least we aren't paying through the nose for him like Chicago did.   He's not costing us much at all.  We really need Randle and Clarkson to play well.  I hope those two pan out.

His offensive game is good.  Defense sucks.  I don't fault LA for getting him at that price.  Not sure how they will handle the rotation at the 4 with him and Randle. 

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
Bynum is an asshat  ::)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 09:34:47 PM »

here are the real facts

lebron won titles with two other stars, as did every other player that won a title whether it was michael, magic, larry, duncan, garnett, etc

yes kobe won two titles without shaq, he replaced shaq with pau gasol, kobe also missed the playoffs without another star player while lebron led the cavs to the finals and the best record in  the league without help

those are the facts, it's only "haterade" to you because kobe is your boy, too bad you aren't an nba star because you would be the only one willing to play with him at this point ;D

kobe should thank god daily for being traded to the lakers, if he stuck with the hornets he would basically be tracy mcgrady

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2014, 09:35:25 PM »
and even if he does he will still be a candidate for defesive rookie of the year.

i was talking about ben

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2014, 09:36:34 PM »

exactly the hate for lebron is ridiculous and kobe can't hold his jock, kobe with that cavs team would've missed the playpffs just like the lakers did when shaq left

E
E

catracho

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2014, 09:55:20 PM »
exactly the hate for lebron is ridiculous and kobe can't hold his jock, kobe with that cavs team would've missed the playpffs just like the lakers did when shaq left

E
I take nothing BB wise away from Kobe, he took over for MJ, and has played hard every game. But without another star or 2, he has won nothing. The Lakers have always been one of the top organizations, the Cavs were garbage before LBJ got there and after he left. 

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2014, 03:16:34 AM »
I take nothing BB wise away from Kobe, he took over for MJ, and has played hard every game. But without another star or 2, he has won nothing. The Lakers have always been one of the top organizations, the Cavs were garbage before LBJ got there and after he left. 

I don't see how you can say Kobe won nothing without help and then point to Lebron as being better.  Without 2 to 3 other stars Lebron also won nothing.  Also, when Lebron won his 2 rings he had more help than Kobe had for any of his 5. 

I give Lebron credit for getting a 50 win 06-07 Cleveland team with limited talent to the Finals, but they got smoked 4 games to zero.  You can't really count 2006-07 as "winning something".  That same year Kobe's team won 42 games and almost knocked off Phoenix, a vastly better team than anyone Lebron faced in the eastern conference playoffs that year.

Every star player that wins a ring has other stars on the roster.  No one wins titles by themselves in the NBA, not even Jordan.  you don't need to tear down Kobe in order to build up Lebron.  They are both among the best that ever played in the NBA.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2014, 11:32:45 AM »
here are the real facts

lebron won titles with two other stars, as did every other player that won a title whether it was michael, magic, larry, duncan, garnett, etc

yes kobe won two titles without shaq, he replaced shaq with pau gasol, kobe also missed the playoffs without another star player while lebron led the cavs to the finals and the best record in  the league without help

those are the facts, it's only "haterade" to you because kobe is your boy, too bad you aren't an nba star because you would be the only one willing to play with him at this point ;D

kobe should thank god daily for being traded to the lakers, if he stuck with the hornets he would basically be tracy mcgrady

E

Additional facts:  Kobe has five rings.  LeCramp has two. 

Kobe has been to the Finals seven times, which makes him five for seven.

LeCramp has been to the Finals six times, which makes him two for six. 

And yes, Kobe is extremely grateful LA traded for him:

Kobe Bryant Thanks Hornets on Twitter for Trading Him After 1996 Draft
By Kyle Newport , Featured Columnist Jul 1, 2014

Eighteen years ago today, the Charlotte Hornets made a trade that they'd like to have back.

Kobe Bryant hasn't forgotten that trade.

Charlotte took Bryant out of high school with the 13th pick in the 1996 NBA draft. Less than a week later, the Hornets traded the Black Mamba to the Los Angeles Lakers:

Juan Ocampo/Getty Images
The reasoning behind the trade, according to Bryant, is pretty shocking:

Kobe Bryant        ✔ @kobebryant
Follow
On this day 18yrs ago the hornets told me right after they drafted me that they had no use for me and were going to trade me #thanku #lakers
8:13 AM - 1 Jul 2014

"No use" for Bryant? That doesn't look good now.

All he has done since the trade is put together a Hall of Fame resume. Bryant has won an NBA Most Valuable Player award and five NBA championships, which includes two NBA Finals MVP awards. He has also been named to the All-Star team 16 times. Oh, he's also fourth on the NBA's all-time scoring list.

Bryant has accomplished all of that while wearing a Lakers uniform.

Who knows how Bryant's career would have played out had Charlotte not traded him, but the Black Mamba and the Lakers are pretty pleased with how the last 18 years have played out.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2116201-kobe-bryant-thanks-hornets-on-twitter-for-trading-him-after-1996-draft

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2014, 11:35:34 AM »
I don't see how you can say Kobe won nothing without help and then point to Lebron as being better.  Without 2 to 3 other stars Lebron also won nothing.  Also, when Lebron won his 2 rings he had more help than Kobe had for any of his 5. 

I give Lebron credit for getting a 50 win 06-07 Cleveland team with limited talent to the Finals, but they got smoked 4 games to zero.  You can't really count 2006-07 as "winning something".  That same year Kobe's team won 42 games and almost knocked off Phoenix, a vastly better team than anyone Lebron faced in the eastern conference playoffs that year.

Every star player that wins a ring has other stars on the roster.  No one wins titles by themselves in the NBA, not even Jordan.  you don't need to tear down Kobe in order to build up Lebron.  They are both among the best that ever played in the NBA.

Well said.  I agree. 

catracho

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2014, 07:11:23 PM »

I never said Lebron was better.  Show me where I said that.  Kobe has been the best player of his generation and is right behin MJ interms of achievements.  What I said was that they both needed help to win, but Kobe got the help because he played for the Lakers, Lebron didn't cause he played for the Cavs, which at the time was a hole no star wanted to even visit.  But you bash Lebron for going somewhere else to get that help. That is what I meant. 

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2014, 03:31:53 AM »
I never said Lebron was better.  Show me where I said that.  Kobe has been the best player of his generation and is right behin MJ interms of achievements.  What I said was that they both needed help to win, but Kobe got the help because he played for the Lakers, Lebron didn't cause he played for the Cavs, which at the time was a hole no star wanted to even visit.  But you bash Lebron for going somewhere else to get that help. That is what I meant. 

Perhaps I misunderstood the point of your earlier post.  What you wrote here sounds pretty fair and accurate.  A lot of people overstate the help that Kobe had and understate the help that guys like Jordan and Lebron had.  That's what I mistakenly thought you were doing.

I don't blame Lebron for leaving Cleveland.  Cleveland either wasn't willing or wasn't able to significantly upgrade their roster.  I have a little problem with him conspiring with Wade and Bosh to stack the odds of winning rings in their favor.  I understand why they did it but I feel like it cheapens the rings that they won a little bit.  This is just my opinion.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2014, 11:20:15 AM »

E

What's up Earl? You doing good? :D you old fuck you...

catracho

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2014, 06:57:19 PM »

Perhaps I misunderstood the point of your earlier post.  What you wrote here sounds pretty fair and accurate.  A lot of people overstate the help that Kobe had and understate the help that guys like Jordan and Lebron had.  That's what I mistakenly thought you were doing.

I don't blame Lebron for leaving Cleveland.  Cleveland either wasn't willing or wasn't able to significantly upgrade their roster.  I have a little problem with him conspiring with Wade and Bosh to stack the odds of winning rings in their favor.  I understand why they did it but I feel like it cheapens the rings that they won a little bit.  This is just my opinion.
Would you feel the same way if Kobe convinced Love and carmelo to go to the Lakers and they won Championships?  Would you have said those rings were cheapened?

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2014, 01:58:36 AM »
Would you feel the same way if Kobe convinced Love and carmelo to go to the Lakers and they won Championships?  Would you have said those rings were cheapened?

If Kobe was in his prime, yes.  If Kobe was 36 like he will be this season, probably still yes.  I don't agree with building a team that way.  I prefer championships to come a little more organically.  Don't get me wrong, I'd still be happy they won but that 6th ring for Kobe wouldn't mean as much as MJ's 6th ring in my eyes.