Author Topic: New Routine for 06.  (Read 1572 times)

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
New Routine for 06.
« on: January 01, 2006, 04:04:07 AM »
Hey,
I just put this together, can you guys please look it over and tell me if its OK. I did the same routine all of 2005, I use too do 5 days a week. I think this new routine is long over due.

Also, can someone tell me how many sets and reps I should do? I use to do about 3 sets of 8 on everything. Except I use to do 5 sets of squats.

Also, do I need another pressing exercise on shoulders?
Monday

Chest:
Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Dumbbell Press
Incline Flys

Triceps:
Scull Crushers
Standing Dumbell Extensions
Reverse Grip Bench Press

Wednesday

Back:
Deadlifts
Bent Over Rows
Chinups
TBar Rows

Biceps:
Standing Barbell Curls
Concentration Curls
Hammer Curls
Cable Curls

Friday

Legs:
Leg Press
Squats
Leg Extensions
Stiff Legged Deadlifts
Lying Leg Curls

Shoulders:
Seated Military Barbell Press
Side Raises
Front Raises
Uprigth Rows
Shrugs

S

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: New Routine for 06.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 06:35:51 AM »
Looks good.  I would suggest a few changes...
1. Chest: Do your DB press on incline as well, and do some dips or decline every other week (instead of one of your incline presses)
2. Triceps:  Add a one arm motion, such as one arm seated extensions or "donkey kicks".  This will keep all 3 heads growing in proportion and your shoulders out of the "mix".
3. Back: I might work in some cable lat pulldowns and alternate one out of your rowing exercises every week, doing the other two.  You have bent over rows so I don't know if you mean dumbell or barbell.  Just do 2 of 3 every week (BB, DB, TBAR).
4. Biceps:  Looks fine, mix it up in 3 months though.
5. Legs:  Might want to rotate stiff legged deads with lunges or front squats.
6. Shoulders:  One pressing motion is fine.  I would go BB one day and DB the next though.  Also, upright rows aren't necessary every workout.  In fact, shoulder pressing isn't necessary every workout so every 4th you may want to kick it to the curb and just do your isolating laterals.

My opinion on sets/reps...

I see you have planned 3 sets of 8 reps for everything.  Personally, I think you should Pyramid everything and I always add a high rep set at the end.  So if you are doing 4 sets, for me it would be 12, 8, 6, 12.  I am tall though so the last high rep set refatigues the muscle belly while letting the ligaments and assisting muscle groups rest.  Also, as a general rule isolation should be higher reps than compound.  I would say presses and legs should be all about 10-12 for the first set, 14-16 for isolations (biceps, flyes, extensions, etc.).  If you can handle the workload, 5 sets per exercise would be better :).

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 07:20:37 AM »
chest: some people dont feel they 'connect' with benchpresses, if you do then stick with it, otherwise you might wanna put db presses first and see if you 'hit' it better. or you might wanna replace bench for dips and put that first in your program for a while to see how that works out for you.

back: myself i put chins first, might wanna give that a try for variation.

legs: personally i have one exercise that i put first where i know i can spend 100% of my energy, two demanding exercises as legpress and squats after eachother wouldnt work for me, but then again maybe im a sissy  ;D
but if squats works for you (you have good form etc) you might wanna put that first so you will be able to give it your all because if you do that as a 2nd exercise after heavy legpresses a lot of energy would already be spent. as for legpresses, you could probably drop that completely or you might wanna try hitting it with higher reps or something for variation.

i think 3x8 reps in general is fine, but you might wanna try both slightly lower and higher reps as a variation and see how it feels... some report better results in legs with higher reps, others never go too low on shoulders because theyre afraid of injuries so they stick to 10-12.
maybe try to go down to 6 reps in your last set in one or two exercises, maybe that would enable to you use slightly heavier dumbbells when working biceps, or rows for back.

also dont forget your abs, add an exercise for rotator cuff and maybe you need to add an excise for direct forearm work.

Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 09:55:33 AM »
No further delt exercises needed-you're already doing a lot of sets for each muscle and should consider removing the least effective exercise sets and instead work harder on the remaining exercises. If you want to increase intensity on delts or other muscles, try a superset of two exercises for a month or so. Also try using substituting DBs for military presses instead of BB, see which is more effective and easier on the joints.

Too many sets, and there is duplication on some, such as BB and DB bench press, and BB and cable curls. I'd suggest removing the least effective exercise sets from each muscle, work harder on the remaining sets-go to failure on most sets, and beyond on the last set of each exercise using partials, cheats, rest-pause, etc., whichever you like. The focus should be on increasing reps and weight. As someone mentioned, part of this could include trying lower or higher reps, see which range works better for you.

On all tri extensions, use one DB, held with both hands. It's the least stressful and most isolated grip, IMO. Also try substituting bench dips or dips for close grips.

On bis, you're doing too much. Try doing cable curls first and preacher curls second, and take a break from BB curls and isolations, see what happens.

On legs, squats or box squats first, when you have maximum energy. Leg press is an excellent addition after those. Forget deads, you're already doing them with back. Also consider eliminating leg extensions, which are good for cutting but aren't needed for gaining size.

Back: switch once in a while-pulldowns for chins, or hammer strength rows or DB pullovers for BB rows-again there's overlap on rowing motions. Stay with T-bars which are probably the best rowing exericise there is. Later, try super-setting these for a month or so. Do deads last, and keep the reps high 12-20, to reduce the risk of injury.

On other thing to consider later, is to try this in a double-split, in which each muscle's worked twice weekly.