Author Topic: close grip bench press  (Read 7985 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
close grip bench press
« on: October 25, 2013, 06:21:11 AM »
i agree with this...

Yev33

• Getbig III
Re: close grip bench press
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »
It took me a while to find the most productive close grip bench grip. When I first started out I used to love pressing with the E-Z bar, it hit the triceps real nice. Then as I got stronger it became more and more difficult to get it into pressing position and the heavier weights began to bother my wrists. When I switched to a regular barbell I tried going as close as 6". Now I go a little less than shoulder width, feels the best on the elbows and wrists while still hitting the triceps.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 03:52:41 PM »
Good video.

I usually hold the bar just a little closer than shoulder width but even then I found the poundages I can use are not far off from my flat bench. Does this sound normal to you guys?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 04:13:50 PM »
It took me a while to find the most productive close grip bench grip. When I first started out I used to love pressing with the E-Z bar, it hit the triceps real nice. Then as I got stronger it became more and more difficult to get it into pressing position and the heavier weights began to bother my wrists. When I switched to a regular barbell I tried going as close as 6". Now I go a little less than shoulder width, feels the best on the elbows and wrists while still hitting the triceps.
me too..  :)

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 12:50:05 AM »
similar to yev it took a while for me to find the most productive version that worked for me.
I do them on the floor, and set the power rack pins at the point where the triceps just brush the floor in the bottom position. Use a grip where little finger just touches where the knurling starts. Pause on pins every rep and a slow negative. Love this version.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 01:40:13 AM »
Good video.

I usually hold the bar just a little closer than shoulder width but even then I found the poundages I can use are not far off from my flat bench. Does this sound normal to you guys?

that's basically the grip that was recommended to me by this fella, and i'd say that he's got some tris on him 8)

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 05:36:24 AM »
that's basically the grip that was recommended to me by this fella, and i'd say that he's got some tris on him 8)

I can't see the pic brah who is it?

btw the closer the grip, the more tendency there is to flare the elbows out. You wanna make sure the movement brings the elbows close to your sides...straight down and straight up.  I prefer close grip over skullcrushers cause that exercise puts too much strain on my elbows and I can go much heavier in weight. Seems to get you more bang for your buck so to speak...

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 06:34:30 AM »
I can't see the pic brah who is it?

btw the closer the grip, the more tendency there is to flare the elbows out. You wanna make sure the movement brings the elbows close to your sides...straight down and straight up.  I prefer close grip over skullcrushers cause that exercise puts too much strain on my elbows and I can go much heavier in weight. Seems to get you more bang for your buck so to speak...

that's JM Blakely inventor of the JM press

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 07:03:17 AM »
oh yeah you've mentioned that guy before....looks a bit insane.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 07:10:48 AM »
lol

yep, he certainly is eccentric

fella has a 700 pound plus bench to his credit and a Phd in metaphysics

too bad i can't get him to come on over here and post up in this bitch, coz he'd certainly fit right in ;D

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 07:19:46 AM »
lol

yep, he certainly is eccentric

fella has a 700 pound plus bench to his credit and a Phd in metaphysics

too bad i can't get him to come on over here and post up in this bitch, coz he'd certainly fit right in ;D

yeah he looks like he would... lol

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 09:25:17 AM »
Borracho, I used to have the same problem with lying tricep extentions. I recently started doing them by lowering the bar behind my head until my knucles make contact with the bench. Pain free so far and still hits the triceps well.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 10:13:21 AM »
Borracho, I used to have the same problem with lying tricep extentions. I recently started doing them by lowering the bar behind my head until my knucles make contact with the bench. Pain free so far and still hits the triceps well.

Probably time for me to give the exercise another go...will try this out thanks!

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 10:48:47 AM »
btw B, wots yo bench?

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 02:21:52 PM »
btw B, wots yo bench?

You've asked me this before  ;D

I've never in my life done a one rep max...I don't see the point. As I said earlier, my close grip is similar in weight to what I used on a flat bb bench. I'm talking like no more than pounds 50 lbs. So I figured flat bb has to suck at building my chest since the weight used is similar meaning its mostly tris and delts.

But close grip I use two 45's on each side and squeeze out at least 8 reps with good form. So my flat would be just a bit more than that...50 lbs doesn't seem like a lot. But maybe it is  ???

I hate flat bb bench  >:(

inb4 translation: I'm a weak bitch.   :P

oh I've been doing wide grip bb to the neck I like that exercise a lot...

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2013, 02:33:41 PM »

I've never in my life done a one rep max...I don't see the point. As I said earlier, my close grip is similar in weight to what I used on a flat bb bench. I'm talking like no more than pounds 50 lbs. So I figured flat bb has to suck at building my chest since the weight used is similar meaning its mostly tris and delts.

But close grip I use two 45's on each side and squeeze out at least 8 reps with good form. So my flat would be just a bit more than that...50 lbs doesn't seem like a lot. But maybe it is  ???

2 and a quarter for 8 reps on close-grips is pretty good actually

i haven't done any barbell chest work in awhile now and i mainly do hammer incline and some pec deck work

for tris i just do pressdowns

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »
2 and a quarter for 8 reps on close-grips is pretty good actually

i haven't done any barbell chest work in awhile now and i mainly do hammer incline and some pec deck work

for tris i just do pressdowns

pheewww

I was thinking stupid borracho u should've exaggerated. But nah really, I never worried too much about the weights and never will cause I've yet a girl ask me how much I can deadlift, squat, or bench.  ;D

I know you're not training at home anymore...how's the new gym??

any cuties( I mean girls dj) ?

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 05:06:36 PM »

Your close grip is around 80% of your regular bench which is pretty normal. I personally look at the bench press as a great chest/shoulder/tricep builder rather than just a pure chest movement.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 05:17:09 PM »
Your close grip is around 80% of your regular bench which is pretty normal. I personally look at the bench press as a great chest/shoulder/tricep builder rather than just a pure chest movement.

Ok man I thought it was too close for some reason.

Flat bench definitely has its place but it seems like many people think its the only worthwhile chest movement. This is why many tend to put it down imo, not cause its a bad exercise just that its not the be all and end all for good chest development.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 05:35:28 PM »
Ok man I thought it was too close for some reason.

Flat bench definitely has its place but it seems like many people think its the only worthwhile chest movement. This is why many tend to put it down imo, not cause its a bad exercise just that its not the be all and end all for good chest development.

If you were close grip pressing 405 and your regular bench was 455 then it's a bit different.  Yeah if we are talking pure chest I would go with flat db, dips, incline db, and incline bench.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »
I've never in my life done a one rep max...I don't see the point.

Same, never once...

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 08:36:51 PM »

pheewww

I was thinking stupid borracho u should've exaggerated. But nah really, I never worried too much about the weights and never will cause I've yet a girl ask me how much I can deadlift, squat, or bench.  ;D

I know you're not training at home anymore...how's the new gym??

any cuties( I mean girls dj) ?

yeah, there's quite a few hotties at my gym (females included lol)

and as much as i hate to admit it, i'm not the best guy there, but i am in the top 5% 8)

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 10:25:56 PM »
Doing Wendler 5/3/1 but using close grips.  Had surgery on shoulder in Feb, and these feel better.

The video posted made me widen the grip tonight and I agree with it entirely.
Y

HITsoldier

• Getbig I
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 10:43:24 PM »
Benchpressing is a tricep predominant exercise

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 02:02:43 AM »
Benchpressing is a tricep predominant exercise