Author Topic: snatches  (Read 3119 times)

Loomis

• Getbig III
snatches
« on: January 02, 2006, 02:03:03 AM »
1 What are their benefits outside of olympic-lifting?
2 Anybody here do snatches regularly?
3 Can someone post pics or a vid of a snatch being properly performed?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: snatches
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 06:03:39 AM »
1 What are their benefits outside of olympic-lifting?
2 Anybody here do snatches regularly?
3 Can someone post pics or a vid of a snatch being properly performed?

1. It's a very good excersise if you're interested in developing the vertical leap, speed and general explosiveness. So I always recommend athletes from other sports to implement this particular excersise into their training protocol.
  It's also great in that it tends to make athletes more flexible. This may be due to that the Snatch requires flexibility, thus getting athletes to stretch more, but nevertheless, there is more flexibility seen in Snatch athletes. ;) ;D

As far as strength/bodybuilding goes: It will help you develop the traps and a the back, the shoulders as well. Also, it will definitely make you stronger in the deadlift, and also in the squat, although the C&J will probably be more responsible for the gains you make there. Your hamstrings will get some work, as well as the calves. Just an all around excellent excersise.

Just one piece of advice though: Focus on the form during the first 3-4 months. Don't bother with what weight you are using. If you'll have to use the barbell only for the first few weeks, and then stick with 80-90 lbs for another month or so, then so be it. You will be happy you were patient with it later on. Because only with a really good technique will you be able to really load the barbell.

I suggest you add this excersise, and train with light weights. Once the form is good, load the bar and start remove other excersises from your training protocol.

2. Yes. It's one of the few complimentary excersises I use for my powerlifting protocol. I also use  the C&J and front squat using C&J style grip.

Also, here is a very good link, http://tomgorman.moonfruit.com/snatch

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

st@nco

• Getbig II
  • Research, Learn, Train & Grow...
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 12:14:01 PM »
Good post,

cheers

*Gr@fTeR*

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 12:41:28 PM »
Oh, I thought you guys were talking about somethinge else.

/Slowly backs out...

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 02:01:09 PM »
Hedge explained very well...

when i first started doing them i used the bar for a while, then worked up. this is one exercise you DO NOT want to mess up because you can hurt yourself very quickly if things get out of line.

i do snatches or cleans once a week on shoulder day...they will pack on mass and functional strength very rapidly if you are new to olympic style lifts. i haven't done a lateral raise, shrug or reverse flye movement in over a year and my shoulders are making huge improvements in size and strength all around.

warm up well and concentrate on form...i will tell you now, it starts to get interesting once you work up to over 225 pounds...good luck, balance is key!

8)

Peaking at 45 !!!

• Getbig III
  • Getbig
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 08:21:11 AM »
Just a little sidebar, I never did the snatch exercise , but used to do power cleans, and it gave my traps the best pumps ever, much better than shrugs.  Good luck.