Author Topic: leg press ?  (Read 3293 times)

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
leg press ?
« on: January 02, 2006, 01:52:31 PM »
how can i add more weight to the leg press machine safely?  my guy's leg press only allows 24lates totall. lately i've been doing  9 plates,10 plates,11 plates and 12 plates per. i've heard that you can add a 45lb bar on top of the plates. but i dont have a training partnes to  watch if it rolls or if it moves.  i go knees to the chest. can adding more weight just adding more trouble??

thx

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: leg press ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 02:00:58 PM »
Sounds risky, unless someone at your gym has done it.

Might be better to do higher reps or do squats first.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 02:10:47 PM »
i do heavy squats. from 20-2.  i dont really trush ppl at my gym bc they have no idea how to spot or what i need help with

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 02:27:21 PM »
Increasing intensity doesn't have to come just from adding weight.

If you add some partials, cheats or negatives at the end and really burn the thighs the weight doesn't have to be as heavy.

You could also try 1-legged presses but it could be hard on the knees.

Maybe you could put some extra weight on top as long as there was someone there watching it. Another thing might be to attach resistance straps to the leg press if it can be safely done.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 07:53:20 PM »
how can i add more weight to the leg press machine safely?  my guy's leg press only allows 24lates totall. lately i've been doing  9 plates,10 plates,11 plates and 12 plates per. i've heard that you can add a 45lb bar on top of the plates. but i dont have a training partnes to  watch if it rolls or if it moves.  i go knees to the chest. can adding more weight just adding more trouble??

thx

Our sled can hold up to 30 plates (barely), so I get on top of the machine holding whatever (a plate or some dummies) when my partner needs some extra weight.

I know you said you don't have a parter, but maybe, for that occassional heavy sled day you could recruit someone.

Also, don't forget about changing up your foot position.
:

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 07:37:48 AM »
Ours can hold 30 also, and I also have a training partner who climbs on top when needed.

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 09:22:40 PM »
why not use 100 pound plates?
Sultan

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 11:15:43 PM »
My guy doesnt have a single 100 plate. i think that our leg press could hold more but they made the plates thicker  with something like rubber. i think they started to notice it so they got plates that a  covered tighted. i wish that they just lelt the  pates just bare iron

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 11:58:04 AM »
i would find out what the machine has been tested to....one guy at my gym did that and broke it....another guy did it with the standing calve machine and broke the belt.
bodybuildersreality.com

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 12:21:45 PM »
so you're telling us that after doing squats, you're leg pressing well over 1000 lbs, with good form, for highish reps?   ummmmmmmmmm  ::)
:-)

Bear03

• Getbig IV
  • back in the swing of things
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 12:25:13 PM »
anyway, in the event that you are just unbelievably strong....

notice most pros, who leg press quite a bit, do so after squats and sometimes leg extensions, and usually do about 20-30 reps per set.  This may be your answer.  Another thing that makes leg press much, much harder is if you don't lock out AT ALL during the set.  No pauses at the top, no pauses at the bottom.  20 Reps of this with whatever weight you're doing is a good way to make the exercise a lot harder.
:-)

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 07:44:53 AM »

thx

do leg ext's first then squat and then do hacks and last do leg press.....

pre - exhaustion principle

;)

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2006, 08:30:24 AM »
Why not as mentioned before change your rep scheme?,..or maybe you can try adding an extra set or two.More than 1 way to up the intensity factors involved in lifting besides adding weight.

Beyond Genetics

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 09:16:51 AM »
drop your feet down about 10 inches and you won't need to increase the weight.  ;)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 09:53:23 AM »
Might want to do one legged presses as pumpster suggested. Can get a better focus/full attention working one leg at a time. If you favor your right leg than start each leg press workout with the left (weaker) leg first.  You'll probable get better results as far as muscle & strength is concerned alternating between each leg in the long run. With the regular leg press, squat, etc most of us will favor one leg over  the other, wheither we realize it or not. Results are usually one side bigger & strong than the other. Your balance/footing will come around after a few sets at first. Good Luck.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 07:27:26 PM »
based on what your saying your strong enough already , your legs must be enormous and likely overpower ur upper body

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 07:54:44 AM »
Lower the back board to increase your range of motion.  I see guys with the back board so upright that they are barely bending their legs. With an upright back board you can't bring your legs back.  It makes it to easy to leg press 1000 pounds.  Try it my way and you'll see that you don't need that much weight unless you want to impress the uninformed teenager on the other machine. Now that the back board is at it's lowest setting really bring the weight all the way down until you hit rock bottom in a controlled slow negative.  Using these two approaches will limit the amount of weight you can use.

I see it all the time in the gyms.  The back board upright and a guy doing half leg presses with every plate in the gym.  Don't get me going on the shallow squatters doing squats with every plate in the gym.  I would rather do full olympic squats with 315 than do  partials with 500. 

stefanogym

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 11:48:25 AM »
i agree so much with you bro...
better to use a full rom and maybe reducing a bit the eccentric tempo... this won't need more weight..maybe he should reduce it...
also he can go first on full or front squats or bulgarian squats, and then go on the leg press