Author Topic: on gear regimen...what needs work boys?!  (Read 3870 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
on gear regimen...what needs work boys?!
« on: January 02, 2006, 07:19:03 PM »
mon and thurs:  chest-bench press 4 sets of 10 reps with 210 lbs
                           tris- barbell crushers (or kick backs) 3 sets of 10 reps with 100 lb
tues and friday:  legs-squats 5 sets of 12 with 200 lbs
                                   deads 5 sets of 12 with 360 lbs
                                   calf raises 5 sets of 15 with 200 lbs
wed and sat:      back:  barbell rows (or dumbbell) 4 sets of 10 with 225 lbs
                           bis:   barbell curls (or dumbbell) 2 sets of 10 with 120 lbs
                           traps: shrugs (or cleans) 4 sets of 10 with 200 lbs

abs hit eod with body weight exercises and forearms eod as well because of density of the muscles or is this a bad idea? and i figured my shoulders get hit hard enough throughout all of it to not really need much other than light raises to blast them when i feel like they dindt get much of a pump.

thanks guys

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
Re: on gear regimen...what needs work boys?!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 08:29:48 PM »
not doing nearly enough.

go to one bodypart a day, 10 to 14 sets per body part. compound movements. youre on gear....its ok to train a little longer/ harder if your nutrition is locked on pretty good

monday: chest
tues: back
wed: legs
thursday: off
friday: bis/ tris
sat: shoulders
sun: off

repeat

something like that bro

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 08:31:05 PM »
really? just one body part a day?!  :o ???

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 08:58:42 PM »
mon and thurs:  chest-bench press 4 sets of 10 reps with 210 lbs
                           tris- barbell crushers (or kick backs) 3 sets of 10 reps with 100 lb
tues and friday:  legs-squats 5 sets of 12 with 200 lbs
                                   deads 5 sets of 12 with 360 lbs
                                   calf raises 5 sets of 15 with 200 lbs
wed and sat:      back:  barbell rows (or dumbbell) 4 sets of 10 with 225 lbs
                           bis:   barbell curls (or dumbbell) 2 sets of 10 with 120 lbs
                           traps: shrugs (or cleans) 4 sets of 10 with 200 lbs

Honestly, I think this sucks :(

This is not to bust your balls, but from this post and the other you made concerning the best bulking gear, I have to pieces of advice for you:

1. Get your training in order
2. Learn about and research gear a little more before you start to use it

Do these 2 things and then worry about gear.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 09:42:51 PM »
Not a perfect workout but pretty close. If it were me I would have at lest one more day  away from training during the week.  Think of a nine day training cycle rather than a sever day a week one.  Try not to go to failure on any set. Glad you don't fall into the stupid trap of working the arms or the  delts on their seperate days, foolishness to the highest order.  And if you want steady gains than avoid the higher sets like 12-14 or so a body part like some may advise you. If it were me I would drop one set from chest & back and two sets from the squat, DL & calves. Good Luck.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 06:45:25 AM »
well i'm pretty scared about over doing things...i usually stop way before i feel like i've blasted much...when the lifts start to suffer i just drop weights and keep going to finish but never farther than what i've set my goals are at too.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 06:59:12 AM »
Not a perfect workout but pretty close. If it were me I would have at lest one more day  away from training during the week.  Think of a nine day training cycle rather than a sever day a week one.  Try not to go to failure on any set. Glad you don't fall into the stupid trap of working the arms or the  delts on their seperate days, foolishness to the highest order.  And if you want steady gains than avoid the higher sets like 12-14 or so a body part like some may advise you. If it were me I would drop one set from chest & back and two sets from the squat, DL & calves. Good Luck.

3 sets of bench press twice a week is gonna be enough?

why not just do push ups in his bedroom.....

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 07:30:30 AM »
not doing nearly enough.

go to one bodypart a day, 10 to 14 sets per body part. compound movements. youre on gear....its ok to train a little longer/ harder if your nutrition is locked on pretty good

monday: chest
tues: back
wed: legs
thursday: off
friday: bis/ tris
sat: shoulders
sun: off

repeat

something like that bro

I would agree with Wes.  If you want the full potential of building muscle......training program wise....... IMO I would reccommend hitting one bodypart a day (accept for arms), 3-4 different lifts (because some muscles have different "heads" and different lifts target different "heads"), once a week.  The strategy is to exhaust every single fiber in your muscle.   I would guess with your current workout your not.   

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 09:13:35 AM »
Wes M:  A general rule of thumb is that when on a new workout plan the lowest common denominator should be applied. Doing 3 sets a muscle group (in some cases 1 or 2 sets) can be more than enough for most people if the workouts are approached with Serious Intent. That would be one exercise a muscle group. Recovery periods between workouts is of prime importance. And if given time enought between workouts to recovery completly than adding more weight each workout (as little as a 1 1/4 or 2 1/2lb plate each side when doing benches, for example) should be well with-in anyones capacity.  So if someone starts with 135 lbs on the bench at the beginning of a new program, adding a little weight each workout,  than after a while (again allowing for full recovery each workout) this same trainee might be using 8 easy reps with 205  in a regular workout. Of course there is a different strength curve (rate of  strength gain & potentional limits) for everyone and progress is not the same for all people but there should be progress never the less. If using 205+, over the original 135, wouldn't the trainee be much stronger and certainly with much more muscle mass on the chest, shoulders & triceps? Working out 2 or 3 times a week on a similar program, for certain muscle groups, would not be out of the question. The body is very adaptable and can progress and gain muscle mass/strength very well if the CNs is allowed time to recover (heal) after each stress induced workout.

If any one feels the overpowering need to do more for a muscle group, than add another exercise rather than more sets to one exercise you had been doing. With the bench you might add dips (weighted) for 2 - 3 sets only. So you have two major chest/shoulder girdle movements of 6 sets max for that muscle area. I can understand the enthusiam to start a new super duper, muscle blasting program that Coleman or Cutler write about (not them, but ghost writters who get so much a word per article) but doing 12-20 sets per body part is self defeating for the large majority of weight trainers.

It's the old K.I.S.S. thing again, Keep It Simple Stupid when planning and doing  workout with Serious Intent.. A few guy's can and will get very good results from high rep/set workouts but these are natural gifted individuals not to be confused wit the average lifter. The average lifter will need heavy, intense stress loads for short workouts and ample recovery time for the CNS between workouts.

As far as using 'roids, they do not produce the same level of results for everyone. Some guy's gain very little in the way of muscle/strength gains and can do just as well or better with a well thought out diet combined with GOOD quality supplements. Others can gain outstanding results with a controls cycle each 6-8 weeks, even when having baked beans eaten cold out of a can three times a day . But as all the Tweekers keep saying, know your dealer first and than know what your really getting. Good Luck.

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 09:59:25 AM »
TEX:  FORGET about the GEAR! ** You are not remotely prepared to go down that road.**    Just EAT - TRAIN - LEARN for the next 3 to 4 years.  Read everything you can get your hands on and then, only then can you make an EDUCATED decision.    Good luck.

XS

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 11:05:53 AM »
her'es something else that needs to be taken into consideration when reading this..i work two full time jobs and go to school...so my workouts are usually cranking out what i can each day as intense as i can get..which is why i posted the work out that i did...if i can hit it and get it in 30 or so minutes i'm happy.

and on the diet note trust me..i eat like a horse...today for exampel i'v ehad a large salad...two eggs...a coke (dont hate the coke) and 6 chicken breasts so far....instead of rice or potatoes i had oil on my chicken salad

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 06:26:02 PM »
her'es something else that needs to be taken into consideration when reading this..i work two full time jobs and go to school...so my workouts are usually cranking out what i can each day as intense as i can get..which is why i posted the work out that i did...if i can hit it and get it in 30 or so minutes i'm happy.

and on the diet note trust me..i eat like a horse...today for exampel i'v ehad a large salad...two eggs...a coke (dont hate the coke) and 6 chicken breasts so far....instead of rice or potatoes i had oil on my chicken salad
Bro, again I'm not trying to bust your balls, but that is not that much food in the whole scheme of things...especially while on cycle.  First off, if your on cycle your protein needs to be a little higher, and spread out evenly through the day, aim for a meal every 2.5-3 hrs. The general rule of thumb is 1g per lb of bodyweight for protein consuption, but on cycle you can easily and affordable bump this up to 2g per lb of bodyweight. I am assuming that you are trying to put on some quality size so forgoing carbs is not a wise thing...and by the way are you implying that substituting oil on your salad is an equivalent replacement to the carb foods? The rice and potatoes are things you need, things like oats and whole grain pasta are also helpful. In planning out your diet a good rule of thumb to follow is 40/40/20 (protein, carbs, fats) if leaning out you might change this to something like 60/20/20. And yes, you should plan out your diet to some extent, it is just as important as planing out your training. You have decided to cross over to the dark side, and you need to take every advantage you can to ensure you journey is successful, and that includes some sort of eating plan. I'm not saying you have to plan it out like a pro, but be smart about it, and give it a little effort.

Something else you should do. Post and layout your current cycle on the steroid section to get some more input and advice concerning your cycle.  Sure you will get mixed advice, but there are some decent guys with a lot of knowledge who post there who can help you in the process.

JPM: You always seem to post some good info on here in regards to training, so I'm not questioning your knowledge of training in general. You do seem to advocate a more low volume regimen then I typically like, but that is neither here or there in regards to my question to you here, which is this: Do you honestly think that the principles of training should be applied the same to a natural trainer vs. someone who uses gear? After all, there are 2 major things that all who use gear use it for, and that is because of the ability to recover faster, as well as increase the intensity of their training. With that in mind I don't see how the same general rules of recovery and intensity can applie to a natty vs. a gear user. What say you?

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 07:39:28 AM »
upped my intake yesterday and am doing it again today..i dont know where it all goes cept down my mouth...but i'm packing it in...yesterday equated to about 2 lbs of chicken, a salad, 8 eggs, 2 cans of tuna, and spagetti here and there...although the spagetti kinda made me feel "fat" a hour or so later....

i'm looking at some of these diets and i'm shocked at the kinda food these guys put away! markus eats 6lbs of chicken?! jesus!

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 10:30:59 AM »
Arnold jr: As I place my left hand on a bible and raise my right hand to take an oath with solemn diligence, I will "honestly" answer your questions as best I can. These are my own observations after being involved with athletes, lifters and BB'ers who must or want to gain true muscle mass (lest amount of fat) in a somewhat short period of time. Some of these guy's gain 10 to 20lbs of true muscle with-in 6 to 12 weeks without any added gear, only basic compound movements. Short, intense workouts.

Weither a trainee is natural or follows the path of using steroids, most any program should begins with the lowerest common denominator. That would be 2 or 3 intense, heavy working sets per muscle group. If your body adapt's well to the 'roids cycles ( not everyone does) that would not mean that you should or must increase your workload (15-20+ sets), length of workouts (2 to 3 hrs +) or how many times working out in a given 7 day week (5 or 7 days).You should be able to workout and make outstanding gains on the lest amount of time invested. If outstanding results are gained by doing 3 -5 sets a muscle group why would anyone want to do 15-20+ sets a muscle group. Just because you can do more in the way of working out and recovery abilities peaked, does not mean that you have to. I find that too many BB'ers have way too many insecurity's about themselves and go with the idea that more is always better. That is not always the best idea. 

In my view there are three major reasons that some men use 'roids. Increased training effort, CNS recovery abilities and higher level of sexual energy. I think quite a few guy's funnel this all down to the fact that they just want to get laid. 

I don't always champion a low volume regimen as the only option to training and making continual progress (as written in my past post). But I think just about everyone should go back to those basic's from time to time if reaching a sticking point. There are many other training systems  out there but would never advise going to the extreme 18- 20+ set's a muscle group plan.

With periodization I cycle my training throughtout the year. I do GVT (10X10). Power rack work which include many partial reps (can be 3X3's or up to 2 set's of 20-30 reps). And a general  BB'ing workout , doing 15 -20 reps, 2-3sets of 2-3 exercises a muscle group. Most of these workouts are done twice or three times a week. Mostly all the really Big Boy's I know and have trained with use this prinicple. Good Luck.

TexasRush: Great Rose Bowl game and win for Texas. Been around football most of my life and can say that I have never seen any player have a game like Vince Young had last night. Truly unreal. And this is from me who has had a few family members and friends who had played at USC. Good Luck.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 11:12:20 AM »
i dont relaly like football..but that game was incredible