Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
October 25, 2014, 08:47:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lower Back Routine  (Read 758 times)
Cholo4Life
Getbig IV

Team Myostatin Deficient

« on: November 06, 2013, 12:26:28 PM »

While tossing my 4 year-old around about 3 weeks ago I tweaked my lower back pretty badly. The lower back pain has now subsided but I have related sciataca pain in my right leg, which was actually worse for a while than the lower back pain was. My friend, who is a neurologist, says this is classic symptomology for a herniated disc. Anyhow, I'm feeling better but would like to incorporate some type of regular stretching and/or strengthening routine for my lower back to hopefully avoid this happening again. I don't do any type of heavy squats or deadlifts and only do dumbell rows with my back supported.

Any ideas?
Report to moderator   Logged
Wolfox
Getbig V

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 01:26:05 AM »

It will happen again. Best bet is strengthen your back, trunk and abs - your core muscles. Also your upper back if you're weak there. Start off light and with perfect form and slowly move your way up. You don't need to go heavy on deads. Just remember when you're doing deads that your abs support your body. A lot of people hyper extend their back on deads which is a nono and a sign of weak abs. same thing with round your back the other way ... nono.... sign of weak upper back and abs. it's the middle position with abs supporting thats best. stay tight.

A
Wolfox
Getbig V

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 01:38:35 AM »

When i recently retweaked my back I switched from regular squats to front squats to maintain leg strength and size. I managed to go relatively heavy without issue.

I did some real light deads focusing on actually using my lower back muscles rather than avoiding them.

I did some hyperextension.

Some weighted ab work, planks and leg raises.

Some supported t bar rows for the upper back.  

The back issue you'll probably have to live with for life. It will retweak but not as bad. You'll just learn to manage it better. Don't worry tho it's common and weightlifters, wrestlers, etc have dealt with it.

A
Cholo4Life
Getbig IV

Team Myostatin Deficient

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 07:26:45 AM »

Thx for the responses Shitzo.
Wolfox
Getbig V

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »

Also look into a stretching and mobility routine once you feel better.

A
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!