Author Topic: Whats your leg routine look like?  (Read 7097 times)

Wolfox

• Getbig V
Whats your leg routine look like?
« on: November 10, 2013, 01:53:25 AM »
This is my leg workout twice a week.

Front squats a2g workin up to a 3 rep max for 1 or 2 sets. One workout a week I'll add 2 sets of pause squats at 5reps each. 3 second pause at the bottom.
SLDLs 8reps 2 sets
Walking lunges- heavy as I can go 2 sets

Then I do 3 circuits of extensions, ham curls, and calves on the leg press. All 12-15 rep range.

Finish off with some light hypers.

A

oni

• Getbig IV
Re: Whats your leg routine look like?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 02:35:19 AM »
Powerlifter / strongman here for context, although my legs are "ok" for my size I guess but not humongous.
When I don't have a meet I'll train legs very often. I'll have a front squat day and I'll go up in 10kg increments starting at 4 reps and working down to a heavy single. It's a weight I can't do for 2 reps but I can add more to the bar. Then I go down to around 90% of this (I just use plate maths) and I'll do loads of sets of 3 until I am done then I'll add a little weight and do a hard double and then I am done. This takes around half hour as I rest enough just to change plates and drink some water. Then I'll stretch out hamstrings with good mornings, 5x5 with a very light weight usually just a plate either side it's all you need.

Then I have a high bar jump squat day as well, which I do before I do something like power shrugs which is all done in a similar way. Nearer to competition I start working in low bar squats, all of this is sans belt and I'll add a belt and eventually wraps as I near competition. When I switch exercise or add new equipment I'll drop the weight and focus on good quality reps and build it up to the above

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 06:29:59 AM »
Power rack squats with the pins set a few inches above parallel and paused on pins every rep. 1 x 15-20. Switched to these as my knees cannot handle full squats anymore.

Then leg extentions with a pause at top 2 x 25-30

Leg curl 1x20

Doesent include warmups.

I have a seperate deadlift day and that is my priority at the minute.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 07:43:03 AM »
i do quads 4 exercises ,,3 sets squats or hacks reps 8-12 usually squat high end weight wise 405 8-10 good day /hacks 5 plates per side max set
leg press every workout same rep schemes finish 7-8 45's per side
lunges either up and down flight stairs around 20 steps with 45 plate per hand 2x around or walking lunges on gym floor with 50 lb dbells or 80/90 lbs on back premade bar
extensions x3 12-15 finish and get to 250 max set on stack or do 220 and drop to 190 sets 20 reps 10x10 do that 3x

hams
stiff legged deads latley dumbells start with 60 work up to 80/85's if bar i do 185/225/245 or 275 max weight i always stick 10-10 275 for 8 if gasses.
leg curls lying or seated x3 or seated
usually 6-8 sets for hams
quads total 12-14

calves 2x per wk usually pick few exercises and heavy and sometimes rep work

some leg pics...to back up claims..

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 11:26:47 AM »
1 set of hack squats til failure, and i've added a good 1.5 inches to each thigh

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 02:21:56 PM »
lots of running, bodyweight circuits and one day where i do 20 sets of squats (100-50-20-10-5-3-1-1-1-1)

of course i am not training to be a bber (i am not gay, not that there is anything wrong with being gay)

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 03:22:30 PM »
Here's what I used to do that worked reall well for lower body.
Workout A
1 Hamstring Compound (deads, goodmornings, rdls, stiff leg deads)
2 Quads ( leg press, hack squats, machine squats)
3 Low back iso. or quads iso. (Back extentions, leg extentions)
4 Calves
5 abs

Workout B
1 Quads ( squats, front squats)
2 single leg squat variation (lunges, step ups, single leg squats)
3 Hamstrings iso. ( hamstring curl variation)
4 Calves
5 abs

I would do each workout every 4-5 days.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 04:40:05 PM »
I just finished training for a 5 K where I didn't lift for about 6 to 7 weeks. I did this routine today. One set to failure after warm up. Warm ups not listed. Felt really weak and I think I'm going to be really sore tomorrow.

Leg press 1 x 15 
Full range leg press. Back board set low so my legs can come back.
Squats 1 x 10 I tried to go deep but my legs are week from so much running.
Machine squats 1 x 10 Completely full range
Dumbbell squats 1 x 12 I went all the way down keeping my back upright.
leg extensions 1 x 20
seated leg curls 1 x 15
standing leg curls 1 x 12

Single dumbbell side bends 1 x 15
Hanging leg raise 1 x max
Reverse hip up type crunches 1 x max
ab machine crunches 1 x 30

Leg press calf press 1 x 20
standing  calf 1 x 12
Tuff stuff standing calf 1 x 15 Different feel from my other standing machine.
seated calf 1 x 15

neck work. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 04:51:50 PM »
lots of volume. how was the 5k?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 05:46:09 PM »
Very hilly 5K. I went out to fast for the first K and paid for it on the second and third K. I think I ran 4 races in the last ten years and this was the worse. I don't know what was going through my head thinking I could keep up with the leaders at my weight and age. I was in a death crawl toward the end of the race. I need a lot more work on cardio and maybe it's not in the cards for me anymore in my mid 50's to post decent times. I will keep trying. I got second in my age group of a small field. To embarrassed to post my time.

Regarding volume it's only one work set per exercise so I don't see it as volume. It's only 4 total sets of calf work.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 06:09:09 PM »
Very hilly 5K. I went out to fast for the first K and paid for it on the second and third K. I think I ran 4 races in the last ten years and this was the worse. I don't know what was going through my head thinking I could keep up with the leaders at my weight and age. I was in a death crawl toward the end of the race. I need a lot more work on cardio and maybe it's not in the cards for me anymore in my mid 50's to post decent times. I will keep trying. I got second in my age group of a small field. To embarrassed to post my time.

Regarding volume it's only one work set per exercise so I don't see it as volume. It's only 4 total sets of calf work.

you should be proud for finishing

there are no real contests in life... it all ends with death

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 06:59:41 PM »

you should be proud for finishing

there are no real contests in life... it all ends with death

And death is the end? Try to cheer up. Sometimes you can actually choose to be happy or sad. Make the right choice.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 07:02:05 PM »
And death is the end? Try to cheer up. Sometimes you can actually choose to be happy or sad. Make the right choice.

i am always happy

and yes

death is absolute

time is finite

nothing really matters

isn't that a nice feeling?

it is to me

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2013, 05:06:40 AM »

what time did you run it in?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2013, 05:48:36 PM »
exact workout today

leg press warmed up leg press few plates then did 4 sets 4/5/6/7 plates per side reps 12/12/12/10
squat feet shoulder'relative'apart 225/275/315/365 12/12/10/10 belt and knee wraps used on 365 set.
lunges with 45 lb each hand up flight stairs up/down/up/down do this 2x
leg exttensions 12/15 x3

hams
lying leg curls 'stack type pin'140/155/165 12/10/10
seated leg curl 180/195/210 10/10/8

calves
on leg press feet edge sled extend x3sets 20 worked to 3 plates per side
seated calf raise x3 till failure

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 04:49:26 AM »
warming up with extension up to 50 reps
squat 10 sets of 15
go home and eat good food
T

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2013, 09:16:55 AM »
what time did you run it in?

I said I was to embarrassed to post my time but here it is. 24:02. I hope to take off 2 minutes off that next time. It was only a few years ago I did the fun run mile prior to a 5K and ran a 6:20mile. I got some work to do but I'm feeling my age lately. There is a huge difference between my running at 45 and 55. Maybe I should get my heart checked out. Feeling like a slow slug when I run. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2013, 10:58:25 AM »
I said I was to embarrassed to post my time but here it is. 24:02. I hope to take off 2 minutes off that next time. It was only a few years ago I did the fun run mile prior to a 5K and ran a 6:20mile. I got some work to do but I'm feeling my age lately. There is a huge difference between my running at 45 and 55. Maybe I should get my heart checked out. Feeling like a slow slug when I run. 

sometimes you just need new shoes or better tunes... i wouldn't sweat it... nothing wrong with 24 minutes at any age (sure you beat lots of young guys)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2013, 11:34:17 AM »

under 8 minutes per mile ain't too bad

i'm curious what you think about dr. kenneth cooper stating this... “If you’re running more than 15-20 miles a week, you’re doing it for reasons other than to achieve good health.”

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2013, 12:35:12 PM »
I read that by Dr. Cooper many years ago. I think he made a bell type graph using information about longevity and health problems. I can't speak for what many consider the number one authority regarding cardio but I think he could dead on. You get all the health benefit of running that might max out at around 20 miles a week on top of the bell curve. Anything more you are doing it to become a better athlete but it won't reflect in better health through the years. Of course another factor is intensity. You can't mention mileage without talking about intensity (speed) of the miles ran. Another consideration; could excess mileage actually be bad for your health like these guys that run 80 to 100 miles a week?

Dr. Cooper talks about health when he talks about exercise. He is not and never was really concerned with making a better athlete. When he speaks of 20 miles a week he is talking about the health of the masses. Just like he came up with heart zone training that has been corrupted by it's interpretation. For the masses keeping your cardio in the age adjusted heart zone is a safer way to get your cardio health benefits. For an athlete trying to improve it's worthless. The harder you train in general the better you will get. For bodybuilders keeping the cardio in the age adjusted heart rate zone was constantly talked about that it used fat and not sugar (glycogen) for fuel so it's better for cutting up. Nothing could be further from the truth because what matters is the total caloric cost of the activity. In a nutshell the harder you train the better.  

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2013, 05:11:48 PM »
I read that by Dr. Cooper many years ago. I think he made a bell type graph using information about longevity and health problems. I can't speak for what many consider the number one authority regarding cardio but I think he could dead on. You get all the health benefit of running that might max out at around 20 miles a week on top of the bell curve. Anything more you are doing it to become a better athlete but it won't reflect in better health through the years. Of course another factor is intensity. You can't mention mileage without talking about intensity (speed) of the miles ran. Another consideration; could excess mileage actually be bad for your health like these guys that run 80 to 100 miles a week?

Dr. Cooper talks about health when he talks about exercise. He is not and never was really concerned with making a better athlete. When he speaks of 20 miles a week he is talking about the health of the masses. Just like he came up with heart zone training that has been corrupted by it's interpretation. For the masses keeping your cardio in the age adjusted heart zone is a safer way to get your cardio health benefits. For an athlete trying to improve it's worthless. The harder you train in general the better you will get. For bodybuilders keeping the cardio in the age adjusted heart rate zone was constantly talked about that it used fat and not sugar (glycogen) for fuel so it's better for cutting up. Nothing could be further from the truth because what matters is the total caloric cost of the activity. In a nutshell the harder you train the better.  

that research still holds true... it's why i cross train with the bike, elliptical, walking and swimming... you can run yourself into serious health issues... literally

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2013, 05:20:55 PM »
Great to cross train your cardio. Makes you more injury proof. Cooper wasn't judging a specific activity of running but his findings were specific to doing an aerobic activity.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 01:29:07 AM »
good points ot1

he also said 3 times a week for 30 minutes and 4 times a week for 20 minutes, and if for health then at a low to moderate intensity, but if for fitness then at a higher intensity

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 06:24:33 AM »
good points ot1

he also said 3 times a week for 30 minutes and 4 times a week for 20 minutes, and if for health then at a low to moderate intensity, but if for fitness then at a higher intensity

solid baseline guidance... i'm currently doing 3-5 hours of cardio daily... 7 days a week

no ill effects but i do have time for a nap these days as well as a full night's sleep...

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 04:52:02 PM »
Leg extensions   4 sets

Smith machine squats  3-4 sets

Romanian deadlifts  3-4 sets

Seated calf raises  5 sets