Author Topic: Religion, where maybe is good enough  (Read 7578 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: Religion, where maybe is good enough
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 09:41:06 AM »
I hope you realise that the Bible is symbolic and not meant to be taken literally as a story ..

The bible contains some allegory sure, but it is not all allegory or primarily allegorical.  

The bible points to one primary topic or point of focus....Jesus Christ.  

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 09:44:54 AM »
The people contains some allegory sure, but it is not all allegory or primarily allegorical. 

The Bible in any version is a massive piece of work. But you'd be hard pressed to understand it much less decypher it at sunday church. I am by no means knocking on church or priests. To each his own. However, if you really want to understand it, you need to look much deeper than religious propaganda. There is so much knowledge in there.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »
The Bible in any version is a massive piece of work. But you'd be hard pressed to understand it much less decypher it at sunday church. I am by no means knocking on church or priests. To each his own. However, if you really want to understand it, you need to look much deeper than religious propaganda. There is so much knowledge in there.

Agreed!

the trainer

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 09:53:44 AM »
I hope you realise that the Bible is symbolic and not meant to be taken literally as a story ..

Wrong a lot of the stories in the bible actually happened there are proof of these events even science will agree.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2013, 10:03:32 AM »
Wrong a lot of the stories in the bible actually happened there are proof of these events even science will agree.
ok "the trainer"

f450

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 10:49:24 AM »

I especially like the jonah and the whale story. I dont think Science agrees with it but I did enjoy the stories as a child.

Anyways if you believe as in truly believe in any of the worlds religions, then you have a serious mental illness and I feel sorry for you.

You dont need religion to tell you not to do bad shit. The worst people I have met in my life have all been religious.. Christians, muslims etc..

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 11:17:14 AM »
This is not just Christianity though.  All religions.  They go based on faith and hope which is the same as maybe

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 11:20:59 AM »
Religion had a purpose and yes, it was not all good.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
This is not just Christianity though.  All religions.  They go based on faith and hope which is the same as maybe

Unfortunately folks misinterpret faith as generically blind with no supporting evidence or as some form of agnosticism.  

I often tell folks that faith can begin with a leap, but it transitions into full assurance in the heart as a relationship with Christ develops and matures.  

Some folks, from day one of their belief in Christ, are "BOOM 100% ALL IN" with no doubts.  These folks have experienced something divine that most have not.  Other believers simply desired to know God and pursued that desire with honesty and humility and found that what is outlined in scripture is as true today as it was when first put on papyrus.  Despite not having that huge, undeniable "God moment" they've experienced the revelation of Christ in their lives.  

Me, I had a big "God moment" in my life so I have no doubts or reservations anymore.  Still, genuine followers of Christ are not masquerading as mere agnostics that aren't quite sure that "maybe it is, maybe it isn't".  Our faith doesn't question the reality of God.....we know his reality is true and have experienced his presence.   We have faith in that what has been outlined in scripture for the future will come to pass.  We accept this on faith not because we fear death or are weak-minded.  We belief because of what has been fulfilled in scripture and demonstrated and tested and repeated in us and other believers over and over again.      

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 11:45:28 AM »
Religion had a purpose and yes, it was not all good.

Amen to that!!

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 11:50:36 AM »
I now believe 100% today because of experiences I've had in my life.....that wasn't always the case.    I've repeatedly experienced the presence of God in my life. 

It's hard to put those experiences into words for others that have not.

maybe it's a brain tumor that creates an imbalance of pressure causing your body to produce hormones that mimic a "religious' experience?

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 11:52:35 AM »
The bible contains some allegory sure, but it is not all allegory or primarily allegorical.  

I disagree. The Old Testament contains the origins and the creation of human kind or our history. The New Testament is all programming or future plans to be put in play if you will.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 11:59:57 AM »
We should do what Man Of Steel did, read what he red, experience what he did and only then we can pass judgement. All else is mere speculation.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 12:13:51 PM »
I disagree. The Old Testament contains the origins and the creation of human kind or our history. The New Testament is all programming or future plans to be put in play if you will.

The OT does describe our origins (our genesis).  The origins tracked are those of Israel from Abraham to Isaac to Jacob/Israel and the original covenant established between God and his people whom he delieverd from Egyptian slavery.  Within the OT we repeatedly see the failure of the Israelites and how God works within their failures to repeatedly deliver them again and again.  We begin to understand in their failures that man is a slave to his sin and that freedom from that sin can only occur through God himself in the person of Jesus Christ.  We see prophetic OT book after prophetic OT book detailing the Messiah yet to come, who would fulfill God's law and establish a new covenant with Jew and Gentile alike.  We find the birth of Messiah in the incarnate Son of God in Jesus Christ and the development of his ministry, demise at the hands of the Sanhedrin and Roman gov't and his resurrection.  We see the establishment of the disciples missionary work and the annointing of Paul and his amazing missionary work among the Gentiles.  We experience the prophetic writings of John on Patmos describing (as best he was able to) the second coming of Christ.   We learn that Christ is fulfillment of prophetic OT scripture, that all things created in Genesis were created through him and that he is God yesterday, today and forever.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2013, 12:22:47 PM »
We should do what Man Of Steel did, read what he red, experience what he did and only then we can pass judgement. All else is mere speculation.

You won't be able to replicate my experience, but you can repeat and "test" what is presented in scripture.  My testimony is merely a personal demonstration of the validity of scripture and who Christ is and what he said he would do....my testimony has now become part of the body of evidence.  To fully understand you must become part of the evidence yourself.  Certainly some come to Christ via the multiple independent attestation and eyewitness testimony of those in scripture, the fulfillment of prophecy, the overwhelming manuscript evidence, architectural evidence and and the testimony of millions of believers worldwide.  Still, the proof is in the pudding!  God won't hop in a box and submit to your demands for proof, but he will reveal himself to you if you desire to know him and come to him through his Son Jesus Christ.  Again, he allows you to live out your days on earth however you please, but within that time if you desire to submit to his will for your life and claim Christ as savior it will be according to his terms and no other.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2013, 01:14:04 PM »

People will believe what they want.  You could be in a hurricane and have every home around you blown to shit but yours and you can say God saved you.  But then why didn't God save the others?  The generic bullshit having no answer response is "God has a plan".  You have to love that blanket statement.

Just go to a children's hospital and visit the burn center or cancer ward, then walk away thinking if there was a God, what kind of asshole is he to allow this happen.

Then go to a prison and see how strong and healthy these scum of the earth are and wonder why aren't they the ones in the burn and cancer ward.  Gods plan?  A plan to have a three year old suffer their short lives to die?  Come one man. 

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2013, 01:41:04 PM »
People will believe what they want.  You could be in a hurricane and have every home around you blown to shit but yours and you can say God saved you.  But then why didn't God save the others?  The generic bullshit having no answer response is "God has a plan".  You have to love that blanket statement.

Just go to a children's hospital and visit the burn center or cancer ward, then walk away thinking if there was a God, what kind of asshole is he to allow this happen.

Then go to a prison and see how strong and healthy these scum of the earth are and wonder why aren't they the ones in the burn and cancer ward.  Gods plan?  A plan to have a three year old suffer their short lives to die?  Come one man.  

The classic problem of evil.  

Of course the evil of men is easy to dismiss if we simply chalk it up to the choices they were free to make on their own....God had nothing to do with it.

Although what of natural disasters....men didn't choose that.   Storm in the Phillipines recently claimed 2000 lives.....why would God allow that?   The sin in our lives effects more than our bodies and souls, it impacts this world we live in.   God uses the whole of his creation to reveal the need for his Son Jesus Christ.  This world will remain in a perpetual state of decay until Christ's return.   God works within the confines of our lives and choices we make to help us draw closer to him and his will for our lives.  We can either draw close to him and submit or continue to rebel and perpetuate the decay.  

We see the effects of natural disasters and broadcast them worldwide, but we we rarely see or even comprehend the far reaching goodness that later results.  For every life that was taken in a moment of disaster how many were saved, how many acts of kindness were undertaken, how many lives were changes and motivated for good?  How many acts of repentance took place?  How many souls were saved?  God stepped in before and punished other civilizations for their sinful ways using the very creation that we set into a state of decay.  Perhaps the disasters we encounter that grab our attention are meant for exactly that.....to get our freakin attention!!

Disease is also a part of the ravages of sin.  We weren't created with disease, we were deemed good.  We brought disease into our lives via our sin.

My wife's coworker lost her baby granddaughter tragically in an accident caused by her son (the child's uncle).  The child's mother was devastated as was her brother who was responsible for the accident, but in a moment of sheer grace and love the mother completely forgave her brother.  While on their knees within this moment my wife's coworker snapped a picture of the two of them on their knees in an embrace in the child's room.  At the child's funeral the child's estranged biker father came with his entire biker gang with intents of killing his brother in law because of the death of his daughter.  At the funeral service the mother shared Christ with the crowd and the forgiveness and love she had for her brother.  They showed a slide show of the life of the young child that was taken and the precious image capture by their mother on their knees in the child's room. That day the entire biker gang dedicated their lives to Christ and forgave the brother.

Sometimes the evil we perceive in our lives, when put in the hands of God, can change lives in powerful positive ways we'd never expect.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2013, 01:43:07 PM »
 :D ;D

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2013, 01:44:17 PM »
Some folks have experienced sweet smells out of nowhere

^

Diabetes?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2013, 01:49:04 PM »
^

Diabetes?

AHAHAHAAH!!!!  Well played!

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2013, 01:50:13 PM »
The classic problem of evil.  

Of course the evil of men is easy to dismiss if we simply chalk it up to the choices they were free to make on their own....God had nothing to do with it.

Although what of natural disasters....men didn't choose that.   Storm in the Phillipines recently claimed 2000 lives.....why would God allow that?   The sin in our lives effects more than our bodies and souls, it impacts this world we live in.   God uses the whole of his creation to reveal the need for his Son Jesus Christ.  This world will remain in a perpetual state of decay until Christ's return.   God works within the confines of our lives and choices we make to help us draw closer to him and his will for our lives.  We can either draw close to him and submit or continue to rebel and perpetuate the decay.  

We see the effects of natural disasters and broadcast them worldwide, but we we rarely see or even comprehend the far reaching goodness that later results.  For every life that was taken in a moment of disaster how many were saved, how many acts of kindness were undertaken, how many lives were changes and motivated for good?  How many acts of repentance took place?  How many souls were saved?  God stepped in before and punished other civilizations for their sinful ways using the very creation that we set into a state of decay.  Perhaps the disasters we encounter that grab our attention are meant for exactly that.....to get our freakin attention!!

Disease is also a part of the ravages of sin.  We weren't created with disease, we were deemed good.  We brought disease into our lives via our sin.

My wife's coworker lost her baby granddaughter tragically in an accident caused by her son (the child's uncle).  The child's mother was devastated as was her brother who was responsible for the accident, but in a most of sheer grace and love the mother completely forgave her brother.  While on their knees within this moment my wife's coworker snapped a picture of the two of them on their knees in an embrace in the child's room.  At the child's funeral the chid's estranged biker father came with his entire biker gang with intents of killing his brother in law because of the death of his daughter.  At the funeral service the mother shared Christ with the crowd and the forgiveness and love she had for her brother.  They showed a slide show of the life of the young child that was taken and the precious image capture by their mother on their knees in the child's room.  That day the entire biker gang dedicated their lives to Christ and forgave the brother.

Sometimes the evil in our lives, when put in the hands of God, can change lives in powerful ways we'd never expect.

So basically god has a huge broom and a rug.  Anything good you immediately thank god, anything bad you sweep it under the rug and blame someone else.  Now I know why the typical republican is Christian.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2013, 01:54:45 PM »
For the utmost lunacy of it all don't look further than the pope.  A week earlier he was just a bishop or cardinal.  A bunch of his peers through numerous votes like the MLB MVP voting happens and a push of white smoke and they call him the pope.  All of a sudden people flock to him and he has healing power all of  sudden.  Give me a break.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2013, 01:59:23 PM »
  Just playing, MOS. I respect you, and your faith. You are a good person, and a good poster. I actually made that joke from just reading the post. I did not realize you were the author.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2013, 02:00:53 PM »
  Just playing, MOS. I respect you, and your faith. You are a good person, and a good poster. I actually made that joke from just reading the post. I did not realize you were the author.

No worries, I LOL'd!!   ;D

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2013, 02:01:56 PM »
So basically god has a huge broom and a rug.  Anything good you immediately thank god, anything bad you sweep it under the rug and blame someone else.  Now I know why the typical republican is Christian.

God has a huge broom and a rug for sin.  The broom is the cross and the rug is Christ's shed blood.